ADVERTISEMENT

1992 NU vs. CU

Feb 11, 2023
Thoughts after rewatching it…

Sweet revenge on Halloween. I’m sure most of us remember the 1991 tie and the 1990 loss in Lincoln. (The 1990 game was a punch in the stomach. When Nebraska was up 12-0, I thought they would win a national title). The crowd in the 1992 game was intense, perhaps as much as ever at home. What is it about miserable weather home games and rowdy crowds? I’ve never seen a visiting QB as rattled as Detmer was. He was a freshman thrown to the wolves. He threw a pick right away and it didn’t get better from there. Alberts, Hill, and Parella chased him all over the field. Meanwhile, Frazier and the “We-Backs” were rolling with options and counters.

Despite transitioning to a pass heavy offense, Colorado was formidable. They were ranked 8th and finished 9-2-1 with losses to Nebraska (#8) and Syracuse (#6). They were flushed with NFL quality players- Kordell Stewart, Deon Figures, Rashaan Salaam, Rae Carruth, Christian Fauria, Lamont Warren, Chris Naeole, Chad Brown, Greg Biekert, Ted Johnson, Michael Westbrook, etc.

Stray observations…
Fans threw oranges on the field

Shields ran a fumblerooski

Nebraska attempted a fake field goal pass early on that failed

Parella clearly had a strip/sack play called down because of instant replay

Nebraska would go on to route Kansas the following week in similar fashion and then the loss at Iowa State happened. The ISU game is still perhaps the most inexplicable Nebraska loss ever.

Detmer struggled in that game no doubt, but Kordell Stewart takes the cake in my book for most rattled looking CU quarterback against NU. He was a stellar 20/56 passing in '93-'94 games combined against the Huskers. A great talent for CU that got owned by McBride and the Blackshirts.

I also thought the '89 loss to CU was tougher to take than the "90 game. The "89 team with Gdowski at QB was a better team than in '90. The '90 team was dominated by CU in the 4th quarter and then got blown out by OU and G. Tech.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
First 7 plays there were at least 4 personal foul or unsportsmanlike penalties that weren’t called then, but for sure would be now. 3 were on NU. Good gravy I kind of forget how much the game has changed since then. It’s nuts that it’s been a decade longer since that game… than it was for that one from when Devaney took the coaching job.

Did Calvin Jones throw the ball before he crossed the line before the TD scamper to start the 2nd quarter?

Colorado had 8 yards rushing and had 134 total yards and been sacked 5 times..

Really don’t think Calvin Jones dropping the ball as he enters the end zone matters one way or the other..

Colorado had 8 yards rushing and had 134 total yards and been sacked 5 times..

Really don’t think Calvin Jones dropping the ball as he enters the end zone matters one way or the other..
Did I say it did? You seriously need your head examined. Maybe they can remove me from literally owning your every waking thought.

Thoughts after rewatching it…

Sweet revenge on Halloween. I’m sure most of us remember the 1991 tie and the 1990 loss in Lincoln. (The 1990 game was a punch in the stomach. When Nebraska was up 12-0, I thought they would win a national title). The crowd in the 1992 game was intense, perhaps as much as ever at home. What is it about miserable weather home games and rowdy crowds? I’ve never seen a visiting QB as rattled as Detmer was. He was a freshman thrown to the wolves. He threw a pick right away and it didn’t get better from there. Alberts, Hill, and Parella chased him all over the field. Meanwhile, Frazier and the “We-Backs” were rolling with options and counters.

Despite transitioning to a pass heavy offense, Colorado was formidable. They were ranked 8th and finished 9-2-1 with losses to Nebraska (#8) and Syracuse (#6). They were flushed with NFL quality players- Kordell Stewart, Deon Figures, Rashaan Salaam, Rae Carruth, Christian Fauria, Lamont Warren, Chris Naeole, Chad Brown, Greg Biekert, Ted Johnson, Michael Westbrook, etc.

Stray observations…
Fans threw oranges on the field

Shields ran a fumblerooski

Nebraska attempted a fake field goal pass early on that failed

Parella clearly had a strip/sack play called down because of instant replay

Nebraska would go on to route Kansas the following week in similar fashion and then the loss at Iowa State happened. The ISU game is still perhaps the most inexplicable Nebraska loss ever.
I have told the story MANY times that I would not take my kids trick or treating until THE VERY LAST POINT WAS SCORED....it put a mild strain on our relationship for a couple of weeks....:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT