ADVERTISEMENT

Dysfunctional Big 12.....

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkn...cle_2d507fc0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html If Big 12 dissolves and Big 10 gets Kansas and Oklahoma.....it would be the perfect I told you so moment for Nebraska. Damn, we all knew Texass were money hungry egomaniacs but it sounds pretty bad in Big 12 country right now. I would be a little worried if I was a Iowa State or KSU!! You guys hitched your wagon to the wrong school!! Sick:(

Reactions: jedimasterjed
But we don't know this for a fact yet.
The B1G needs to balance the divisions and Oklahoma and Kansas are the only schools that fit that need. And as a side note to the obvious benefits to both schools. It offers the only legitimate excuse to rid both institutions of their little brothers. It's a win/win for everyone.

So who were the 5 back in 2010? I remember Texas talked to the BIG so I am guessing the 5 were Texas, A&M, OU, OSU, and Tech (the little brother problem they referred to). Thank God TO and Perelman acted promptly to the opportunity!

I'll honestly be shocked if they both don't get a seat at the B1G table.

Not looking good for the conference at all. We were fortunate to get out when we could, although I miss some of the older rivalries from the old Big 8.

The B1G needs to balance the divisions and Oklahoma and Kansas are the only schools that fit that need. And as a side note to the obvious benefits to both schools. It offers the only legitimate excuse to rid both institutions of their little brothers. It's a win/win for everyone.

I would love to see OU and KU in the BIG. That would be fantastic.

Being in Kansas though, I really doubt KU gets away without KSU or at the very least I doubt KU gets away without KSU finding a soft place to land. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe if the legislature is faced with a one or none situation they may buckle, but I doubt it. KU is the far bigger school and it has greater recognition nationally. However KSU has some powerful people both in business and in the legislature. It would be an ugly battle in Topeka. That being said, given the sad state of the Kansas budget situation, if conference realignment came sooner rather than later then their hand could be forced. The fact is, if the Big 12 disolves KU (and really the state of Kansas in general) needs the BIG more than the BIG needs KU and the state of Kansas. If the BIG says we want KU and OU and we have other expansion prospects that do not include KSU, so it's KU or nothing then the legislature's hand could be forced.

That said, I truly doubt that happens. The real question is will the BIG stop at 16 or go to 18 or even 20? If they stop at 16 then the above is a more likely situation. If they go to 18 or 20, then I think KU and KSU are more likely a packaged deal.

I don't think texas is just going to let OU jump to the B1G without a fight unless they think they'll get invited too.

I want no part ut in the B1G.

i do like the suspense of waiting for the next shoe to drop.

the last thing i want to happen is the dust to settle. i like a changing landscape.

i think schools will have the most problem leaving from other schools in their state.

I don't think texas is just going to let OU jump to the B1G without a fight unless they think they'll get invited too.

Interesting point. Even more reason why Boren is pissed. Texas gets the ESPN cash and forces OU to be their b_tch. The best scenario for NU is if KU, KSU, ISI, OSU get left out of Big 4. Would really help out 500 mile recruiting radius. In the meantime, recruits don't want to go to a conference that won't make playoffs and that could be broken up any year now.

i hear what you're saying, but its still what have you done lately - baylor, tcu, and tech are all rated higher than we are right now. the rest of the conference is seemingly struggling in the early going...baylor/tcu getting left out was a shot across the bow.

I'd agree with you on TCU and Baylor, but common T-Tech isn't rated or predicted to be better or is better than Nebraska.

i was referring to recruiting rankings. tt is highest at 18, which im not really sure why. wch said recruits dont want to go a crumbling conf, and i agree (typ tx, ou, and osu have been up in rankings, so are they feeling the effects already? or just feeling effects of tcu and baylor excelling?), but were not higher.

i was referring to recruiting rankings. tt is highest at 18, which im not really sure why. wch said recruits dont want to go a crumbling conf, and i agree (typ tx, ou, and osu have been up in rankings, so are they feeling the effects already? or just feeling effects of tcu and baylor excelling?), but were not higher.

It's July. TT is highest because they are counting a full 20 recruits. If they don't recruit anyone higher rated than their 20th rated player, then they will finish around 55 in the recruiting rankings.

TCU and Baylor are legitimately ahead of us in recruiting, per rivals, but they're not that far ahead.

OU and ut have barely started filling their classes. We have a long time before 2016 recruiting is done. Rivals heavily weighs the scoring for top players. It's all a matter of who lands the bigger fish that are left.

Now back to the topic at hand. It's a toss up to me whether the big12 expands or goes away. UT is getting the most money, but I think OU is getting 2nd most (or tied for second). If ut doesn't do well in sports this year (mostly football), I think it will exacerbate the tensions.

So who were the 5 back in 2010? I remember Texas talked to the BIG so I am guessing the 5 were Texas, A&M, OU, OSU, and Tech (the little brother problem they referred to). Thank God TO and Perelman acted promptly to the opportunity!
I don't believe either Texas or Tech were in the discussions. You are also leaving out Nebraska so it would have been 4 others. Those were Kansas, OU, A&M, and Iowa St from what I read.

I don't believe either Texas or Tech were in the discussions. You are also leaving out Nebraska so it would have been 4 others. Those were Kansas, OU, A&M, and Iowa St from what I read.

No way was Iowa St in any discussion. There have been reports of Texas directly talking to the BIG in 2010, I am sure Missouri reached out with no luck. If BIG didn't want Missouri with St. Louis, KC, and whole state, they don't want Kansas, definitely not Iowa State. In the Texas BIG correspondence Texas AD referred to a little brother problem re: Tech. Our national brand is what got is in plus the Nebraska/western iowa/KC markets. OU has a national brand and the Oklahoma market and some Texas markets like Dallas/Fort Worth.

The Kansas AD told my brother that he thinks that KU will be in the B1G in the next couple years. They are already working on that scenario

Missouri was confident of the same thing, same rumors, even their AD made public comments, nothing happened but NU got invited without the rumors.

I don't either. Jim Delany had a front row seat to see what UT did to the Big XII. He has a good thing going in the B1G. I understand the attractiveness of having UT on board, but would it be worth it? The B1G has a great thing going right now, SEC too. Why take the chance of inviting someone into the league that has a history of not playing well with others?

This could probably be the start of another thread, but Texas is the epitome example of a program that needs to be independent.

I don't either. Jim Delany had a front row seat to see what UT did to the Big XII. He has a good thing going in the B1G. I understand the attractiveness of having UT on board, but would it be worth it? The B1G has a great thing going right now, SEC too. Why take the chance of inviting someone into the league that has a history of not playing well with others?

Lest we forget what kind of a conference member Texas is, peruse this thread on the Longhorn board:

http://texas.forums.rivals.com/threads/do-you-want-the-b12-to-hold-together.42789/

Or for simplicity, just read this gem:

"His dream was never going to come to fruition, but it was a dream worth having. The Big 12 lost its 2nd largest state, its 3rd and 4th largest football fan bases, and the large Denver TV Market. Any conference suffering such a series of blows would forever be demoted to non-major status unless it had a school like Texas. Texas alone held the Big 12 together with Major status. Dodds knew that ND as a partial football member would secure that Big 12 better than school it could get as a full football member. So Dodds went after Pitt, because Pitt is an old and important rival of ND's. If the Big 12 were to land Pitt, then ND would be more open to coming aboard.

But the second Pitt knew it could get a Big 12 offer, Pitt called Swofford. Swofford acted immediately to add Pitt and Syracuse, knowing that was the final move the ACC could make before getting ND in some way.

The Big 12 will last as long as Texas wants it too. It's that simple. If OU and TTU were to get into the SEC and KU the BT, the Big 12 would remain and accounted a Major conference as long as Texas stays.

When Texas realizes its best move for its entire athletics department and for university peerage is to join the ACC, then the Big 12 will be forever more demoted to non-major status.

It is all about theLonghorn."

This is not the opinion of one isolated Texas fan on a message board. This is the heart of their view on conference affiliation.

Lest we forget what kind of a conference member Texas is, peruse this thread on the Longhorn board:

http://texas.forums.rivals.com/threads/do-you-want-the-b12-to-hold-together.42789/

Or for simplicity, just read this gem:

"His dream was never going to come to fruition, but it was a dream worth having. The Big 12 lost its 2nd largest state, its 3rd and 4th largest football fan bases, and the large Denver TV Market. Any conference suffering such a series of blows would forever be demoted to non-major status unless it had a school like Texas. Texas alone held the Big 12 together with Major status. Dodds knew that ND as a partial football member would secure that Big 12 better than school it could get as a full football member. So Dodds went after Pitt, because Pitt is an old and important rival of ND's. If the Big 12 were to land Pitt, then ND would be more open to coming aboard.

But the second Pitt knew it could get a Big 12 offer, Pitt called Swofford. Swofford acted immediately to add Pitt and Syracuse, knowing that was the final move the ACC could make before getting ND in some way.

The Big 12 will last as long as Texas wants it too. It's that simple. If OU and TTU were to get into the SEC and KU the BT, the Big 12 would remain and accounted a Major conference as long as Texas stays.

When Texas realizes its best move for its entire athletics department and for university peerage is to join the ACC, then the Big 12 will be forever more demoted to non-major status.

It is all about theLonghorn."

This is not the opinion of one isolated Texas fan on a message board. This is the heart of their view on conference affiliation.
I read through that Texas thread a bit and am a bit surprised by the desire to break up the Big 12. Also, I really hope Delaney is smart enough to see that Texas is pure poison.

I admit I can't help it, I liked the Big 12 better. I guess the closest thing I could compare it to is the girl who makes lousy decisions, smokes to much, and causes you nothing but trouble....But when she shows up at 1AM drunk and ready to go, you can't help yourself. That's the Big 12 for me, the self destructive hottie you can't quite forget and move on from. My bad. Glad I am not in any position of power to determine our fate....

I read through that Texas thread a bit and am a bit surprised by the desire to break up the Big 12. Also, I really hope Delaney is smart enough to see that Texas is pure poison.[/QU
the word "toxic" also comes to mind

I admit I can't help it, I liked the Big 12 better. I guess the closest thing I could compare it to is the girl who makes lousy decisions, smokes to much, and causes you nothing but trouble....But when she shows up at 1AM drunk and ready to go, you can't help yourself. That's the Big 12 for me, the self destructive hottie you can't quite forget and move on from. My bad. Glad I am not in any position of power to determine our fate....

LOL. Great post. That's why you have your friends on the board yelling, "Don't Do It!!!!"

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Interesting point on Whorn wrote re: Texas will join ACC as the academic reputation is better and that they can't go West to Pac since most Texas recruits identify more with the south than the west. Who knows how this shakes out now, the three big fish in order are Texas, ND, and OU.

Part of that was the fact you new that girl back when she was called Big 8 - before she picked up all those bad Longhorn habits. She was alot a fun back before she changed her name to Big 12.

Barfknect's article is getting picked up all over the place. And I kind of like that. Kind of a middle finger to the conference, causing more volatility.

No way was Iowa St in any discussion. There have been reports of Texas directly talking to the BIG in 2010, I am sure Missouri reached out with no luck. If BIG didn't want Missouri with St. Louis, KC, and whole state, they don't want Kansas, definitely not Iowa State. In the Texas BIG correspondence Texas AD referred to a little brother problem re: Tech. Our national brand is what got is in plus the Nebraska/western iowa/KC markets. OU has a national brand and the Oklahoma market and some Texas markets like Dallas/Fort Worth.
There were discussions of Texas and Missouri talking with the Big 10. What was referenced in this article was the 5 I mentioned. It is a different scenario being discussed.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/121087/big-ten-flirted-with-major-big-12-programs-in-2010

I guess I could see Texas and either OU or Notre Dame going to the ACC. From Boren's tone, I suspect Texas is planning to go to ACC without OU. If Texas and Notre Dame go to ACC that would cement that concference and it would be tough for an existing ACC member to leave. That would leave OU to the BIG for the 15th spot with a I guess a Kansas or Missouri (not sure if Missouri would leave SEC now). I just don't see Kansas adding much value to the BIG other than a last ditch 16th member if Notre Dame ship has sailed officially.

I get it. Let's agree to PIIHB ... same with Texas.

I guess I could see Texas and either OU or Notre Dame going to the ACC. From Boren's tone, I suspect Texas is planning to go to ACC without OU. If Texas and Notre Dame go to ACC that would cement that concference and it would be tough for an existing ACC member to leave. That would leave OU to the BIG for the 15th spot with a I guess a Kansas or Missouri (not sure if Missouri would leave SEC now). I just don't see Kansas adding much value to the BIG other than a last ditch 16th member if Notre Dame ship has sailed officially.

I can answer that for you. There is no way on God's green earth that Missouri will leave the SEC. The vast majority of Mizzou fans now thank the B1G for thinking they had us in the bag whenever they decided they wanted us and took Nebraska as the 12th team. They were blindsided when we went to the SEC. Not only are we out of the Big XII dysfunctional mess, we are in the best footballl conference with the SECN money beginning to roll in and we were full members from Day One. There's no Jr Member stuff in the SEC.

I am one of many who are thrilled to be attending road games in the SEC venues and their climate. It's been an amazing thing and it will only get better. Obviously the B1G would have been far better than the Big XII but not it isn't attractive at all.

I can answer that for you. There is no way on God's green earth that Missouri will leave the SEC. The vast majority of Mizzou fans now thank the B1G for thinking they had us in the bag whenever they decided they wanted us and took Nebraska as the 12th team. They were blindsided when we went to the SEC. Not only are we out of the Big XII dysfunctional mess, we are in the best footballl conference with the SECN money beginning to roll in and we were full members from Day One. There's no Jr Member stuff in the SEC.

I am one of many who are thrilled to be attending road games in the SEC venues and their climate. It's been an amazing thing and it will only get better. Obviously the B1G would have been far better than the Big XII but not it isn't attractive at all.

Interesting take on how all the realignment went down...I remember it being more like Missouri begging to join the B1G, then getting rejected. Either way, I think Missouri and Nebraska fit better culturally in their new neighborhoods.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT