ADVERTISEMENT

Does Nebraska have enough money to compete in the NIL arms race in College football?

See my post in the undeniable thread. I think we’ll be alright in the near term, but as the money changes hands to the kids, I don’t think the culture of Nebraska sports is going to be worth a bottomless pit of money to them. Even if rhule starts winning big right now.

Nebraska long term I think will be closer to a small-mid market team. I don’t think our sort of Midwest sensibility about money will allow us to just throw money at the program in good or bad time’s forever. In the sec and at Texas, they could two craps about blowing $100 million trying to make Saturday a bit better. Or maybe it doesn’t even make it better so find another hundred mill until it does.

That one kid at Florida was going to make more money than rhule on a per season basis? We’re not playing that game.

I also think the nature of college sports has changed. Used to be about tradition and wins. Now it’s going more nfl styl about money and profit.

NU doesn’t have to be a top dawg in football to make a very comfortable next 100 years. Have a decent team, strong branding, play in a conference with solid finances, wins a division title or equivalent now and again with the hope of something bigger and it’ll be fine.

You don’t have to be Bama to live a nice life anymore.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Well if we hadn't spent $180 Million on new facilities, that could have paid for a lot of NIL deals. And the millions we keep spending to fire coaches.
It’s 165 Million and it was the right decision..

The coaches part, no need to cry over spelled milk ans bad decisions..

Reactions: Meanfarmer3160
Yep, will people of substance feel like this is a good use of their money? We'll see, but some of these kids are commanding big bucks.
Good point. Old school boosters love brick and mortar.... something they can see and touch. Not so much to an individual that is off limits and gone in 4 yrs....not a long term investment.

Gotta get past that and look at investment in Nebraska

Reactions: drubendall
Yep, will people of substance feel like this is a good use of their money? We'll see, but some of these kids are commanding big bucks.
Buyers remorse will bring things back to reality a bit, IMO. Not everyone can win it all. Not everyone can win conference titles. I’d guess people spending millions of dollars on players will want more than 7 win seasons. But I don’t have millions of dollars to spend so what do I know.

Nebraska is way behind most NIL programs. Michigan has 3 NIL initiatives that have been collecting money for a while now. NU has 1 that just launched and just added the ability to receive funds. I think they just barely added the ability to receive funds from fans a few weeks ago, while other schools have had this for many months now. I don't think they have any basketball player in NIL through 1890. You think with the fan support they'd be able to get some support but, once again, NU manages to find a way to screw things up.

yes, I just went to a NIL deal here in Arizona. Nebraska is in good hands

Nebraska is way behind most NIL programs. Michigan has 3 NIL initiatives that have been collecting money for a while now. NU has 1 that just launched and just added the ability to receive funds. I think they just barely added the ability to receive funds from fans a few weeks ago, while other schools have had this for many months now. I don't think they have any basketball player in NIL through 1890. You think with the fan support they'd be able to get some support but, once again, NU manages to find a way to screw things up.
So which is it? Optimism or pessimism?

It’s 165 Million and it was the right decision..

The coaches part, no need to cry over spelled milk ans bad decisions..

Maybe so, but I think Northwestern has shown that awesome new facilities don't have much effect on winning, at least compared to talent and coaching. The money would be better spent on NIL.

Reactions: moralvictories
The schools to watch out for are the two new teams added to the BIG, USC and UCLA. These two schools have a huge alumni with very deep pockets. It will be up to Nebraska's top donors, Alumni and businessmen to keep pace if Nebraska is to remain in the new arms race.

Maybe so, but I think Northwestern has shown that awesome new facilities don't have much effect on winning, at least compared to talent and coaching. The money would be better spent on NIL.
Northwestern need’s those facilities even more because they don’t have the rich tradition and not even close to a fan base that Nebraska has…

You can’t tell me that those facilities don’t help them keep pace with the rest of the conference…

We grew out of our facilities with a small locker rooms meeting rooms and physical therapy pools were’t big enough..

Honestly don’t think we’re probably Top50 amongst D1 schools. Raiola will draw $5M a year from someone. Hope it’s us but not holding my breath. Would LIKE to think for some kids money ‘just doesn’t matter’, but a few Mil would weigh heavily on ANY 18y/o kids mind. C’mon…

There needs to be a way to regulate this better, or it’s literally gonna be just buying athletes and the same teams win. As in worse than it currently is. We’ll be buried, permanently. Doesn’t matter who we hire. That’ll be good for a standard deviation in either direction, but not Three. Which is where we currently are…

Last edited:
Honestly don’t think we’re probably Top50 amongst D1 schools. Raiola will draw $5M a year from someone. Hope it’s us but not holding my breath. Would LIKE to think for some kids money ‘just doesn’t matter’, but a few Mil would weigh heavily on ANY 18y/o kids mind. C’mon…

There needs to be a way to regulate this better, or it’s literally gonna be just buying athletes and the same teams win. As in worse than it currently is. We’ll be buried, permanently. Doesn’t matter who we hire. That’ll be good for a standard deviation in either direction, but not Three. Which is where we currently are…
since the playoff began in 2014-15, only 14 programs have participated out of a possible 32 spots

5 of those 14 were 1-and-done participants. 5 programs have won all the titles in the same span.

there has never - NEVER - been parity in college football

literally ever

the "worse than it currently is" crowd is one of my favorites. not sure there's a more incorrect take going.

since the playoff began in 2014-15, only 14 programs have participated out of a possible 32 spots

5 of those 14 were 1-and-done participants. 5 programs have won all the titles in the same span.

there has never - NEVER - been parity in college football

literally ever

the "worse than it currently is" crowd is one of my favorites. not sure there's a more incorrect take going.
Not sayin there hasn’t been disparity last few years… everyone has seen that. In the past it’s just shifted around here and there over periods… would expect Bama to decline without Saban. Georgia won’t be as dominant 10 years from now.

a) The point is that there is ENORMOUS disparity between schools in regards to NIL money spent. Exponential disparity. It’s like income tax. 5% of the population pays 90+% of it. Half of people pay nothing, and we’ll pay ‘something’.

b) Also think money is gonna be a way bigger factor than ‘coaching and development’, and even location. We’ll find out soon how much Legacy means.

A + B = Eternal Mediocrity, short of finding a way to hamstring Texas Oil Money, etc…

Last edited:
Not sayin there hasn’t been parity last few years… everyone has seen that. In the past it’s just shifted around here and there over periods… would expect Bama to decline without Saban. Georgia won’t be as dominant 10 years from now.

a) The point is that there is ENORMOUS parity between schools in regards to NIL money spent. Exponential parity. It’s like income tax. 5% of the population pays 90+% of it. Half of people pay nothing, and we’ll pay ‘something’.

b) Also think money is gonna be a way bigger factor than ‘coaching and development’, and even location. We’ll find out soon how much Legacy means.

A + B = Eternal Mediocrity, short of finding a way to hamstring Texas Oil Money, etc…
huh?

it seems you are either unaware of the definition of the word "parity" or are incapable of using it properly within the confines of what we English speakers call a sentence

Reactions: scarletred
huh?

it seems you are either unaware of the definition of the word "parity" or are incapable of using it properly within the confines of what we English speakers call a sentence
Disparity, lol. Gonna give you that one. Sry… editing…

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Small population conservative state with a team on a major losing run. Not a recipe for NIL success. I think we used to get a bunch of season ticket holders to donate small amounts of money for projects. $500 or $1,000. I don't see people donating $500 for a player that might not even play before they transfer.

Small population conservative state with a team on a major losing run. Not a recipe for NIL success. I think we used to get a bunch of season ticket holders to donate small amounts of money for projects. $500 or $1,000. I don't see people donating $500 for a player that might not even play before they transfer.
… in a town with (sry Lincolnites) just not a ton to offer.

It’s just curious observing so many commenting on what a huge asset it’s gonna be… it’s gonna bury is even further.

It’s why I don’t get the Rhule hire, and don’t see replacing Hoiberg is gonna accomplish a damned thing. They’re the best we can expect to have, and people need to understand that.

We should attach NIL to the lottery.

It’s just curious observing so many commenting on what a huge asset it’s gonna be… it’s gonna bury is even further.

It’s why I don’t get the Rhule hire, and don’t see replacing Hoiberg is gonna accomplish a damned thing. They’re the best we can expect to have, and people need to understand that.

I don't understand. You don't get the Rhule hire because he is good? Or bad? The best way to jump start NIL is with winning and reinvigorating the fan base. Win some games and rich people will probably forget about how much they donated to the facilities project.

I honestly think Rhule might have been the best possible hire TA could have made. He seems to genuinely want to be here and I think that is half the battle in winning here. You can't have the expectations that we have and cut corners.

You sure move the goal post everytime you discuss anything related to nil.

Which hire would you get?

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I don't understand. You don't get the Rhule hire because he is good? Or bad? The best way to jump start NIL is with winning and reinvigorating the fan base. Win some games and rich people will probably forget about how much they donated to the facilities project.

I honestly think Rhule might have been the best possible hire TA could have made. He seems to genuinely want to be here and I think that is half the battle in winning here. You can't have the expectations that we have and cut corners.
I don’t dislike the guy. Just think he was hired in no small part because he was the most visibly ‘Anti-Frost’. Dresses nice, treats the media with respect, doesn’t chew tobacco, nice haircut, etc… but it’s all beside the point…

‘Winning’, we all want. And you’re 100% right in that it WILL help with that, but our ‘ceiling’, if you will, for NIL money is still just gonna be exponentially lower than a few dozen other schools under the best of circumstances. Ultimately this new system of buying athletes is gonna hurt us.

Not just overtly trying to throw shade and pessimism… I wanna see it regulated. There’s no one central regulatory body (and I HATE even the word ‘regulation’), but this needs it. For sure. We’re very simply gonna be buried by schools backed by ‘more billionaires’. Most of our truly elite talent has been backed by a very small number of individuals.

You sure move the goal post everytime you discuss anything related to nil.
Not really… the lottery idea was tongue-in-cheek. Have opined from day one that it puts us at a sizeable disadvantage. I mean there are a lot of schools we’ll dominate in the money competition, but it’s not gonna help us against programs that suddenly have a shit-ton of money to spend indiscriminately on elite talent.

Maybe run it like Major League Baseball… have a salary cap beyond which a program is ‘penalized’. We’re not the Yankees..

Which hire would you get?
No point in my even trying to weigh in on that because it’d go against my point that it just won’t matter as much as folks are prophesying because of how ‘recruiting’ has changed.

Last edited:
I don’t dislike the guy. Just think he was hired in no small part because he was the most visibly ‘Anti-Frost’. Dresses nice, treats the media with respect, doesn’t chew tobacco, nice haircut, etc… but it’s all beside the point…

‘Winning’, we all want. And you’re 100% right in that it WILL help with that, but our ‘ceiling’, if you will, for NIL money is still just gonna be exponentially lower than a few dozen other schools under the best of circumstances. Ultimately this new system of buying athletes is gonna hurt us.

Not just overtly trying to throw shade and pessimism… I wanna see it regulated. There’s no one central regulatory body (and I HATE even the word ‘regulation’), but this needs it. For sure. We’re very simply gonna be buried by schools backed by ‘more billionaires’. Most of our truly elite talent has been backed by a very small number of individuals.
Just because he's so different from Frost doesn't mean that is why he was hired or why people like him. He's different than any of our recent coaches. I can totally see his vision. Hopefully he can execute it.

We, We, I don’t see any of your written sentences and get the impression that you’re a Husker fan..

Donors just paid $165 million for new facilities and $15 million to buy out Frost. What's with all the doom and gloom here?

Donors just paid $165 million for new facilities and $15 million to buy out Frost. What's with all the doom and gloom here?
I heard a bunch of typical hype and bravado when NIL was first announced but are there any instances where it looks like we outbid anyone or NIL money was a factor in swaying or keeping someone? Maybe it's just under reported.

And I'm sure Palmer choosing to not take any NIL money was just his bad decision making but it seems kind of odd to have a standout player like him not take a dime of NIL money. Kind of led me to wonder if he didn't take any because it wasn't worth it for what he was offered. I mean, how much time does it take to film a commercial and put out a couple social media posts? I thought the point of NIL was to give out free money to good players for fake work. Why did Palmer think he had to work to get it? Seems odd.

No point in my even trying to weigh in on that because it’d go against my point that it just won’t matter as much as folks are prophesying because of how ‘recruiting’ has changed.
Well you've weighed in about which hire you don't like, I'm just curious which HC would have been OK. It's really not that difficult. It's obvious you are not a fan of Nebraska football, who is your favorite college football team?

Well you've weighed in about which hire you don't like, I'm just curious which HC would have been OK. It's really not that difficult. It's obvious you are not a fan of Nebraska football, who is your favorite college football team?
Lol haven’t missed any home games since I was a kid, and am as rabid a fan as anyone here. I take a f’ing beta blocker before big games…

Am just concerned with the direction of the program, or more accurately the direction in general of college sports, which I fear is gonna bury us into mediocrity. Trying to verbalize the dichotomy between our NIL initiative vs other schools.

Reactions: Jaemekon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT