ADVERTISEMENT

Does Iowa Win a B1G Title in Your Lifetime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
I'm 32 and I'll say that there's a better chance that I win the lottery, get attacked by a shark, and struck by lightning all on the same day before Iowa sniffs a B1G title in my lifetime. So, they will unfortunately be perpetually relegated to discussing their national title glory days indefinitely.

Oh, wait...

I am 29. I think they will win one in my lifetime. I hope to live a long time. I think Nebraska will win several in my lifetime and will win one sooner than Iowa.

I wrote this on the Iowa board that posed the same question about Nebraska.

Everything is cyclical. It wasn't long ago that Florida was unstoppable and look where they are now. Bama sucked not too long ago and look where they are now. Look at USC. Look at Colorado. In 2001, Illinois won the B1G. It all goes in waves.

Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin and maybe another will won the conference in the next 20-30 years at least once a piece, if not several times (and most likely sooner than 20-30 years, I am being conservative). Ohio State won't be on top forever. They will have down years. Every team does. You are either old or shortsighted to think that Nebraska (or Iowa, or any other team in the top half of the conference) won't win a conference championship in your lifetime.

If you get to the CCG game, all they have to do is be better than the opponent on that day. Va. Tech beat Ohio State last year. VT ended the season at 7-6. You only have to be better on that day.

I don't know how Nebraska will be this season. I am cautiously optimistic. But I am confident that in the next 4-5 years they will get to the CCG at least once.

It is pretty much the exact post from the iowa board, just with iowa instead of Nebraska.

I barely go there anymore. And I will say that one is stupid too. Both programs have WAY to much invested to not make a CCG. I would say both will be in one within the next 5 years. Or the coaches are in big trouble. Maybe sooner.

I barely go there anymore. And I will say that one is stupid too. Both programs have WAY to much invested to not make a CCG. I would say both will be in one within the next 5 years. Or the coaches are in big trouble. Maybe sooner.

The question is not making the CCG, it is about winning the CCG.

No.

Iowa is at best, the 7th best team in this conference sitting in a state that doesn't produce enough talent. There is simply no freaking way they win the B1G unless several of the teams ahead of them go on probation or drop football altogether.

The question is not making the CCG, it is about winning the CCG.

Oh. Man, at this pace, I am not sure. The East is going to be in beast mode in about two years. But you only have to beat them in a one game situation. As long as its not OSU, I like Iowa's chances. We have always done well against Michigan and PSU. Michigan St is usually a tough game for us.

No.

Iowa is at best, the 7th best team in this conference sitting in a state that doesn't produce enough talent. There is simply no freaking way they win the B1G unless several of the teams ahead of them go on probation or drop football altogether.

Not sure you know the league well enough to be saying any of this. I guarantee most BIG 10 fanbases know what we can do and would disagree with you.

That Iowa was tossed a softball last year and lost 6 games. So yeah, won't sniff a title in my lifetime.

I would have just said yes, I am terminally ill. Because saying one season vs the rest of your lifetime is a pretty stupid statement, IMO.

I would have just said yes, I am terminally ill. Because saying one season vs the rest of your lifetime is a pretty stupid statement, IMO.
I'm curious, what do you Hawkeye fans actually talk about? How Ferentz is going to magically turn the corner this year? The '04 Capital One bowl? Different shades of yellow?

Reactions: Suvey101885
Not sure you know the league well enough to be saying any of this. I guarantee most BIG 10 fanbases know what we can do and would disagree with you.

No they wouldn't.

Iowa is that cute little story/team that overachieved with Ferentz a few times, but nobody considers Iowa a possible B1G title contender. Nobody outside of Iowa fans anyway.

I'm curious, what do you Hawkeye fans actually talk about? How Ferentz is going to magically turn the corner this year? The '04 Capital One bowl? Different shades of yellow?

Well hell, we should just quit watching football huh? Laughing

You and the other guy that just posted have gotten your faces trolled off by some idiot on the Iowa Board. Well done guys.

Not likely, but...... The random really good to great season will come every once in a while. Most D1 teams of any pedigree hit on a surprise overachieving QB/class and rise up from time to time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they compete for a title down the road. Winning it will be another animal altogether.

How much time do you think KF realistically has left before he gets the boot hawkit? I still can't believe Greg Davis is even around.

This season. If he doesn't win 9 to 10 games, he will be gone. 60% to 70% of the fanbase has turned on him and are sick of the product on the field, and him always under selling the program to make 7-5 seasons look like a success.

Hawkit, I've really come to appreciate your posts. I haven't seen you troll here, you seem to be fairly level in your assessment of things as well. You've been complimentary of the Husker program also, which is more than a lot of hawkeye fans have shown...

I do think the next few years will be telling, as far as Kirk Ferentz is concerned. If Iowa chooses to go in a new direction if Ferentz continues to struggle, there is a legitimate chance for some success with the right coach. Having gone through a few coaching changes her in Nebraska, the hope is that we are finally on the right track. We will see. If Bielema is the guy, who knows what will happen? The turnaround could occur and the opportunities for championships easily could be within reach.

It's hard to say that Iowa will win a championship anytime soon with things going as they are currently, but as another poster stated, all of this is cyclical, so who knows? If you would have told me 20 years ago that Nebraska would not have a conference title to its name after 15 years of the 21st century, I wouldn't have believed it.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Hawkit, I've really come to appreciate your posts. I haven't seen you troll here, you seem to be fairly level in your assessment of things as well. You've been complimentary of the Husker program also, which is more than a lot of hawkeye fans have shown...

I do think the next few years will be telling, as far as Kirk Ferentz is concerned. If Iowa chooses to go in a new direction if Ferentz continues to struggle, there is a legitimate chance for some success with the right coach. Having gone through a few coaching changes her in Nebraska, the hope is that we are finally on the right track. We will see. If Bielema is the guy, who knows what will happen? The turnaround could occur and the opportunities for championships easily could be within reach.

It's hard to say that Iowa will win a championship anytime soon with things going as they are currently, but as another poster stated, all of this is cyclical, so who knows? If you would have told me 20 years ago that Nebraska would not have a conference title to its name after 15 years of the 21st century, I wouldn't have believed it.

Thank you sir. I appreciate your kind words.

And you are spot on. KF's ceiling has been reached and to win a BIG 10 title will have to be under a new regime. Now, can our AD close a deal on a big time coach, no. That is my feeling. He is the moron that gave Kirk an extension until 2020. So, IMO, he needs to go as well. He was played by Kirk and his agent and has not shown the business acumen to land a big time coach, which is what we will need. We need to throw a bunch of money at a good coach, because of the disadvantages that Iowa has. And I can see our AD locking up some mid range guy and us owing that person a ton of money when they don't pan out.

We are in a tough spot right now, and I like KF and appreciate everything he has done for us, but he is burned out and a 8 to 9 win coach at best. If he loves the program like he claims, he needs to realize he needs to step aside. His attitude is to tell us how tough it is to win at Iowa. That is not a BIG 10 championship mindset or a NC mindset. We need someone who thinks bigger and can sell that to talented kids.

In KFs defense, there was a nasty rape situation that the new President at that time, Sally Mason, screwed up royally. So she had it out for the football program every since. She really put the brakes on us taking a risk on certain types of kids, that you need to win. Every program has that dilemma of whether or not to take a questionable kid. Some pan out, some don't. But that should be the ADs decision, until proven that football program is developing a pattern of criminal behavior. She literally chased off a 4 star running back by trying to make him sign an agreement that said he made unwanted sexual advances on a female student, that turned out to be BS.

There could be dark times ahead for us, but I like to think positive. I am praying we get another good coach to push us to the next level we are seeking as fans and as a program.

Reactions: timnsun
Well hell, we should just quit watching football huh? Laughing

You and the other guy that just posted have gotten your faces trolled off by some idiot on the Iowa Board. Well done guys.
You didn't answer my question.

Well it seems Iowa fans are smarter than the AD; voting with their feet. IN the paper the other day season ticket sales hadn't reached 38,000 yet ( after Iowa saw them drop too around 44,000 last year). So millions more lost income; this is going to make the dropping KF buyout clause look cheaper. Estimated 3 million loss; and surely does not count the loss of indirect donations the football team attracts. Iowa is actually a great place to recruit too ( better situation than Minnesota + ); semi - empty stadiums don't help. GBR

Reactions: hawkit3113
You are not very good at trolling. But you sure can get trolled like the best of them.
522879982_obama_you_mad.jpeg

Well it seems Iowa fans are smarter than the AD; voting with their feet. IN the paper the other day season ticket sales hadn't reached 38,000 yet ( after Iowa saw them drop too around 44,000 last year). So millions more lost income; this is going to make the dropping KF buyout clause look cheaper. Estimated 3 million loss; and surely does not count the loss of indirect donations the football team attracts. Iowa is actually a great place to recruit too ( better situation than Minnesota + ); semi - empty stadiums don't help. GBR

You are correct. Last year at the Iowa/Nebraska game, there was a big campaign by donors and donor seating to boycott the game. So there was a huge section of donation seats, (tickets + donation per seat) that was empty. And it was a pretty good size section. When you lose to Iowa St annually, and don't win one trophy game, the only way they felt they could express themselves was by not showing up.

Its been tough to be an Iowa fan the last 5 to 6 years. And its not a cheap experience anymore. Plus they were cracking down on tailgating and ruining the experience. I am a loyal fan and will always keep my season tickets, but I get how the very wealthy who give a lot of money are fed up. So, they recognize the lack of season ticket sales and what do they do? They announce they are expanding the tailgating hours (which they shouldn't have messed with anyways, thanks Sally Mason) and they are going to have concerts before the games. What an absolute joke and gimmick. How about we just win football games and beat some of our rivals. SMH.

As far as recruiting goes, we live of Chicago and IL talent. And there is some talent there. We grow lineman, as you guys well know about big farm kids. Their is something about corn fed farm boys. They are mean. We just lack the southern element to win. No presence in the South or Texas, what so ever. I don't think its all doom and gloom on that front. Winning cures a lot of that.

You hawk fans tell Husker fans all of the time to stop living in the past, so why don't you? Iowa will win a title if KF is canned and they bring in Bielema or someone else who can turn the program around. Right now, they are no where close.

You hawk fans tell Husker fans all of the time to stop living in the past, so why don't you? Iowa will win a title if KF is canned and they bring in Bielema or someone else who can turn the program around. Right now, they are no where close.
Doubtful. That football program just doesn't have much going for it. Past and present results prove that. They will be middle of the pack in the Big Ten and that will likely get their coach approval from the higher ups. That is Iowa Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT