ADVERTISEMENT

Does Iowa Win a B1G Title in Your Lifetime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call it hate. Iowa is just kind of "there".

Exactly. And yet you start a thread about a team and program that quite honestly, really doesn't deserve one right now. Hammer us when we are 0-12 or hammer us when we are winning. But to start a thread about a program that is not doing so well, tells me its hate.

Exactly. And yet you start a thread about a team and program that quite honestly, really doesn't deserve one right now. Hammer us when we are 0-12 or hammer us when we are winning. But to start a thread about a program that is not doing so well, tells me its hate.
Hating Iowa is like hating Purdue. I would actually like to hate Iowa but it just doesn't feel right.

The Iowa hate amongst some of you is pretty funny.

I actually like it. It would be fun to have an actual rivalry with someone again. I think the best chances are Iowa and Wisconsin. I feel both could bud, but it is still up in the air. NU actually has to beat UW a couple of times to make that happen, and Iowa will need to beat NU at some point on a more consistent basis. Time will tell.

I actually like it. It would be fun to have an actual rivalry with someone again. I think the best chances are Iowa and Wisconsin. I feel both could bud, but it is still up in the air. NU actually has to beat UW a couple of times to make that happen, and Iowa will need to beat NU at some point on a more consistent basis. Time will tell.

I agree. We need to quit adding crappy teams like RU and Maryland, and let these things develop. I was very disappointed that this round of expansion force MSU and Michigan out of our division and end the PSU/Nebraska cross over. We will get use to it, but its slowing down the process of developing these rivalrys. And don't worry about UW, they are due for a back slide. I expect Nebraska to start winning their share of games against them going forward.

As for the Iowa and Nebraska games, they have been good games on the field. The problem is, they haven't been for anything but bragging rights. No spoiler, no division title, nothing. A lot of that has to due with Iowa being very, very average. The good thing is, this thing can only go up. Iowa and Nebraska are in a bit of a transition period but that will work itself out soon, I believe. Nebraska has new coaching blood, and Iowa will soon too. Now, I LOVE the tradition of the game. I cant tell you how awesome it is to play that Friday morning. I enjoy this game more than any other on the schedule because of how unique it is. There is always a good amount of red in the crowd and the weather is like a college football game should be in the last week of the season. I don't think Iowa and Nebraska fans are the only ones disappointed with this game, as I have seen many BIG 10 fans say the same. It will happen. It is just going to take that one epic game for the BIG West marbles that will put this game front and center as must see TV on Black Friday. I just hope that is sooner, rather than later.

Nebraska IMO, is fitting in very well with the dynamic of the BIG 10 West. Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska are in its infant stages of what its going to be. Putting my Hawkeye hat aside though, as a fan of the BIG 10 in general, I want to see more Nebraska vs Michigan, OSU, PSU, MSU.

I almost (almost) feel sorry for Iowa:

-Coach peaked a long time ago. Couldn't beat the coach Nebraska fired in his last season.

-Have had cakewalks recently for schedules and still can't get it done.

-Yellow. Seriously, yellow. Can you imagine wearing that? (Sidenote: What's worse, Kansas State or Iowa colors? I honestly don't know which I'd rather wear).

Ok dude, I get it. You hate Iowa. Now its time for you to move on to something else.
Again, you ar confusing reality with hate. If you can't accept that most see Iowa as a middle tier Big Ten program now and for the foreseeable future feel free to go back to the Iowa board. I know it's the summer and Iowa is always great in the summer but your ego won't be stroked here.

Again, you ar confusing reality with hate. If you can't accept that most see Iowa as a middle tier Big Ten program now and for the foreseeable future feel free to go back to the Iowa board. I know it's the summer and Iowa is always great in the summer but your ego won't be stroked here.

Where are the Purdue and IL threads? Laughing

Seriously, you are not a good representation of your fanbase. I live in Eastern Iowa. I am somewhat familiar with the hate of Western Iowa/Nebraska fans, but its not really like that where I live. Sorry for not playing along.

I actually think hawkit is fun to talk to. From what I have seen it is all football talk and no real trolling. Good insight from the other side.

Thanks man. I like Nebraska and always have. I find the Hawkeye fans that don't and that are annoying to us or at least me, as well, live in Western Iowa. So naturally I can see where the animosity comes from on both sides being so close to each other.

Where are the Purdue and IL threads? Laughing

Seriously, you are not a good representation of your fanbase. I live in Eastern Iowa. I am somewhat familiar with the hate of Western Iowa/Nebraska fans, but its not really like that where I live. Sorry for not playing along.
If the Purdue or Illinois board had a similar thread about NU im sure a thread would be started about them. But they don't as far as I know. And you are a perfect example of the Hawkeye fanbase. Delusion at its finest. Nobody here fears Iowa. And most do not expect them to be threat in the future.

If the Purdue or Illinois board had a similar thread about NU im sure a thread would be started about them. But they don't as far as I know. And you are a perfect example of the Hawkeye fanbase. Delusion at its finest. Nobody here fears Iowa. And most do not expect them to be threat in the future.

Ah, so we are back to some moron on the Iowa board making a troll thread about Nebraska. Way to not generalize and use good sound opinions about the rest of the Iowa fanbase. You are officially on my ignore list now.

Ah, so we are back to some moron on the Iowa board making a troll thread about Nebraska. Way to not generalize and use good sound opinions about the rest of the Iowa fanbase. You are officially on my ignore list now.
So 1. You are a hypocrite. And 2. You want to tell NU fans what they can and can't post about on their board? Typical Hogeye. Off you go.

So 1. You are a hypocrite. And 2. You want to tell NU fans what they can and can't post about on their board? Typical Hogeye. Off you go.

Before I put you on ignore, the trash that goes on the Hawkeye Report in no way is a reflection on me. Or other Iowa fans. And two wrongs don't make a right.

Before I put you on ignore, the trash that goes on the Hawkeye Report in no way is a reflection on me. Or other Iowa fans. And two wrongs don't make a right.
I disagree. The trash on that board is pretty in line with the majority of Iowa fans I have met in person. Notice I did not say all...but quite a few. They are a special breed that's for sure.

I'm 32 and I'll say that there's a better chance that I win the lottery, get attacked by a shark, and struck by lightning all on the same day before Iowa sniffs a B1G title in my lifetime. So, they will unfortunately be perpetually relegated to discussing their national title glory days indefinitely.

Oh, wait...

No How No Way!

Iowa State will win the Big 12 before Iowa wins the Big Ten
Both are possibly facing a coaching change. It is an interesting question. The B1G is a much better conference, plus we have much greater depth and its on an upward path. Iowa has a relatively easy schedule this year and finds the fans going on strike; most know if they win about 60% of their games with this schedule worse is coming. Down to under 40,000 season ticket sales and losing other donations, they are pressuring with their feet - will look at a sacked AD at some point, can you imagine 30.000 season ticket sales? Then trying to recover with a new coach as other teams in the West hit their stride ( GBR); with a decent year their coach may retire. ... A fairer question as the Big 12 ( almost ), is degenerating; will Iowa win the B1G West even much improved ( top 3 or more better than the big 12 almost ) , before Iowa State can win the Texas 12 step program - my money would be on Iowa. GBR * B1G

Iowa has 2.5 B1G titles in the last 13 years so history says yes. Many forget that Iowa controlled it's own destiny in the final two games of last season to go to Indy. 26-24 nut kick loss to Wisconsin and of course the epic meltdown vs Nebraska. I think Ferentz has one more lap around the track. Dude can still coach but it has to happen now. Their is a reason KF and Bo Schemblecher are the only 3-time B1G coaches of the year. Good luck this year Huskers except Black Friday of course.

Iowa has 2.5 B1G titles in the last 13 years so history says yes. Many forget that Iowa controlled it's own destiny in the final two games of last season to go to Indy. 26-24 nut kick loss to Wisconsin and of course the epic meltdown vs Nebraska. I think Ferentz has one more lap around the track. Dude can still coach but it has to happen now. Their is a reason KF and Bo Schemblecher are the only 3-time B1G coaches of the year. Good luck this year Huskers except Black Friday of course.

I have no doubt that Iowa can win the conference in my lifetime. But it is more difficult to win it now than it was when they won their last few. From just a quick look back, the last few CCs you won were shared. There is now a CCG, in theory, you would have to play the team you shared with (unless the division's didn't shake out that way). So one more difficult game. I have no idea if Iowa was good those years or better than the team they shared with. I'm guessing no in 2002, that Ohio State team was pretty good.

Without a CCG, Nebraska would have won the conference already. After the pounding we took from WI in the CCG that year, we clearly didn't deserve it. But the point still stands. The CCG makes the conference more difficult to win. The CCG takes away the luck of having a weak schedule and avoiding the best team in the conference.

Better yet, does Nebraska? I don't think we do with Meyer at OSU and Harbaugh at Mich.

I think we do. To win the west we have to beat Mich St (will they trend down if Michigan rises?) and Wisconsin (also has a new coach with lots of questions). If we get to the CCG you have a chance. VT beat Ohio State last year and ended 7-6 (6-6 regular season). I know that OSU was breaking in a new QB and it was early in the season, but you always have a punchers chance.

I think we do. To win the west we have to beat Mich St (will they trend down if Michigan rises?) and Wisconsin (also has a new coach with lots of questions). If we get to the CCG you have a chance. VT beat Ohio State last year and ended 7-6 (6-6 regular season). I know that OSU was breaking in a new QB and it was early in the season, but you always have a punchers chance.
We don't even have to beat Michigan State... They are in the east. In the west is Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota that we have to worry about.

Better yet, does Nebraska? I don't think we do with Meyer at OSU and Harbaugh at Mich.
Meyer is the bigger issue; even coach Callahan beat MI, using Ross at rb and we were given a punchers chance. When Braxton went down a few years ago, we rallied from a huge deficit to beat tOSU - sometimes its fickle, that was also earned.

MSU probably still has better coaching than Michigan; brash is only part of it.

In this century (you know the one that started in 2000 ) which program has finished in the top 10 3 times? Stats are for the nerdy folk like us who live through the lives of teenagers . Iowa is no threat to you why the constant angst?Start beating The OSU and soon Mich then you have something to blow about. Until then we are all running 2nd.

In this century (you know the one that started in 2000 ) which program has finished in the top 10 3 times? Stats are for the nerdy folk like us who live through the lives of teenagers . Iowa is no threat to you why the constant angst?Start beating The OSU and soon Mich then you have something to blow about. Until then we are all running 2nd.
Nebraska has won the past 2 meetings against Michigan. You an Iowa fan? Michigan? Ohio State?

Michigan hasn't been the real Mich since they hired Dick Rod and he tried to change the culture .Iowa beat them 3 years in a row but that is the past .Harbaugh will win big and recruit Big don't forget their brand and academics are a huge draw. They will dominate The B1G and the rest of us will only hope to get them in the championship game once in every decade. I believe the B1G will shift the divisions when it becomes obvious most of the power is in the Eastern side.

Michigan hasn't been the real Mich since they hired Dick Rod and he tried to change the culture .Iowa beat them 3 years in a row but that is the past .Harbaugh will win big and recruit Big don't forget their brand and academics are a huge draw. They will dominate The B1G and the rest of us will only hope to get them in the championship game once in every decade. I believe the B1G will shift the divisions when it becomes obvious most of the power is in the Eastern side.
Ah, you're a defeatist then.

There really is a mind blowing lack of talent in Iowa City these days. Zero 4 stars in their current recruiting class, 1 in 2015, and 2 in 2014.

Realist is a better term sticking your head in the sand only blocks your vision .MU currently has 9- 4* plus all the ones they have stacked up under the previous guy who couldn't seem to get out of his own way and had no clue how to run an O. The OSU has 13 4* and 2 5* reality is a bitch and it is only August. The thing we keep forgetting to remember Northwestern is the smallest school in the B1G followed by NU and Iowa. Size does matter! Small dogs do bite just not as hard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT