ADVERTISEMENT

Does Fred Hoiberg keep his job?

We finished 11th in a down year in the conference and lost to one of the worst teams in conf history in the playin round of the conf tourney to finish 16-16

Please detail what he has earned.
If this was year 1....that would be one thing

But, the 3 best players on this team are all gone. There is no help from HS coming in...

We finished 11th in a down year in the conference and lost to one of the worst teams in conf history in the playin round of the conf tourney to finish 16-16

Please detail what he has earned.
Let's not leave out any context. Hoiberg sucked balls the first 3 years. He made a huge mistake with Matty A. So now Fred fires Matty A. He hired 2 new AC's with a totally different philosophy. So he changed coaches, changed his philosophy in his style of play, and he changed his recruiting philosophy. That all led to his best season by far all while not having his star player the first 5 games and losing 2 other VALUABLE starters to season ending injuries and he won more B10 games than the 3 previous years combined. Yeah that shows how pathetic his record was the first 3 years he was here, but it shows incredible growth in year 1 of his new vision going forward. That has earned him at least 1 more year to see if they can take another step forward.

Let's not leave out any context. Hoiberg sucked balls the first 3 years. He made a huge mistake with Matty A. So now Fred fires Matty A. He hired 2 new AC's with a totally different philosophy. So he changed coaches, changed his philosophy in his style of play, and he changed his recruiting philosophy. That all led to his best season by far all while not having his star player the first 5 games and losing 2 other VALUABLE starters to season ending injuries and he won more B10 games than the 3 previous years combined. Yeah that shows how pathetic his record was the first 3 years he was here, but it shows incredible growth in year 1 of his new vision going forward. That has earned him at least 1 more year to see if they can take another step forward.
All this “context” you refer to is a result of how horrible Hoiberg has been

Same crap went on with Frost .. a coach is historically bad for 3+ years and then they are the tiniest bit less historically bad and people start doing mental gymnastics about they have earned another year

I wish we would stop giving credit for a coach stepping over a bar that was set so low by said coach

He is coming back because the athletic department has decided they would rather continue losing than pay the buyout

Last edited:
He is coming back because the athletic department has decided they would rather continue losing than pay the buyout
That’s the main reason which is helped out by .500 record and a strong end to the season despite a disappointing loss in the first round of the B1G 10 tournament…

All this “context” you refer to is a result of how horrible Hoiberg has been

Same crap went on with Frost .. a coach is historically bad for 3+ years and then they are the tiniest bit less historically bad and people start doing mental gymnastics about they have earned another year

I wish we would stop giving credit for a coach stepping over a bar that was set so low by said coach

Scott Frost and Fred Hoiberg were both asked to make changes or else. Scott Frost shit the bed. Fred Hoiberg made huge improvements. It's not that hard to figure out. You can blame it on buy out, I blame it on showing improvement like the AD asked for. Do you not think we would have more wins if we had not been healthy? I mean losing one key guy I wouldn't expect much of a drop off. But losing 2 Starters and I'm talking 2 starters that were big pieces of this team. Some say the heart and soul of this team responsible for bringing the new attitude to this team. You don't think we might of had more W's?

Scott Frost and Fred Hoiberg were both asked to make changes or else. Scott Frost shit the bed. Fred Hoiberg made huge improvements. It's not that hard to figure out. You can blame it on buy out, I blame it on showing improvement like the AD asked for. Do you not think we would have more wins if we had not been healthy? I mean losing one key guy I wouldn't expect much of a drop off. But losing 2 Starters and I'm talking 2 starters that were big pieces of this team. Some say the heart and soul of this team responsible for bringing the new attitude to this team. You don't think we might of had more W's?
We had the second worst season of any big ten team

Wisconsin was on the bubble most of the year and Ohio State is 2 wins from an ncaa tourney bid

Us and Minnesota are only 2 schools that never reached any degree of relevance at any time during the season

Make sure you get your season tickets for next year before they are all snatched up!

Reactions: king_kong_
I mean, the reason it looks like great improvement is because what Fred did the first 5 years was soooo ****ing bad.

If I total my first car, then total my second car, then total my third car...and then just dent by 4th car, it seems like improvement,

Even if they do make the NIT, I still don't think Fred deserves to keep his job.
It is tough either way. Nebraska should be going to the dance and have not in years. Think it is time to start looking to hire a new HC who can recruit, keep kids instate and put together a winning team. Fred is not getting enough talent to get over the hump.

I am fine with whatever Trev decides. Fred's record is abysmal. But, he's also Fred Hoiberg, NBA player, executive, head coach and offensive mastermind. Tyronn Lue wanted this job when Moos gave it to Fred. But he also wasn't an NBA head coach at the time so I think that ship has sailed with him being a head coach in LA.

Outside of Ty Lue, we would be hiring who exactly? DeVries from Drake? Maybe Trev could lure Craig Smith from Utah? I just don't see us getting anyone remotely as qualified as Fred and we'd be hiring another Tim Miles or Doc Sadler.

The main issue plaguing Nebraska right now is NIL. I'm very intrigued to see 1890 in the fold for Husker hoops. We need 3 to 4 impact transfers to go alongside Blaise, Gary, and Lawrence next year. That's going to require some serious coin. I've heard from multiple people Hunter Sallis and Chucky Hepburn could both be in the portal soon. If 1890 can pony up some money we can build on the success from this year. But at the end of the day it's gonna be a lot more about who is writing the checks and less about who is holding the whistle.
Ty Lue didn’t want the Nebraska job. Multiple reliable sources said he wasn’t interesting in coaching at Nebraska.

Best hire at the time...worst results since.

It really is amazing.

I am not a huge Miles guy but Miles would have probably had them doing much better.
I think it's obvious he wasn't the best hire available. The Bulls organization was glad to get rid of him, the only success he had was at Iowa State where he happened to luck into a good group of assistants who were able to mask his deficiencies. These last few years at Nebraska is exactly who he is, a below average head coach, and that's putting it nicely.

Fred is a good Xs and Os coach but a lousy recruiter. I'm willing to give him another year to see what kind of players the new assistants can pull from the transfer portal. But next year has to be post-season or bust.

If it doesn't work out, I'd consider going the route that Penn State and Kansas State did. Find a well-respected African-American assistant coach who can recruit. Someone like Brandon Brantley at Purdue or Saddi Washington at Michigan.

We had the second worst season of any big ten team

Wisconsin was on the bubble most of the year and Ohio State is 2 wins from an ncaa tourney bid

Us and Minnesota are only 2 schools that never reached any degree of relevance at any time during the season

Make sure you get your season tickets for next year before they are all snatched up!
Lol. Will do buddie.

Fred is a good Xs and Os coach but a lousy recruiter. I'm willing to give him another year to see what kind of players the new assistants can pull from the transfer portal. But next year has to be post-season or bust.
I'm with you. First step is to see if they retain the (hopefully) valuable players that are already on the roster. If Fred stays and then guys like Lloyd, McPherson etc abandon ship I'm going to be depressed.

Ty Lue didn’t want the Nebraska job. Multiple reliable sources said he wasn’t interesting in coaching at Nebraska.
I heard different. There may have been an opportunity back in the day but that ship has long since sailed. He's an NBA head coach and he'll be doing that for a long time.

I don’t think people realize how absolutely terrible you have to be to post 4 consecutive years without a winning record as a team in a major conference

And then how little an athletic department has to care about its players and fans to bring the architect of those 4 years back for year 5

Last edited:
I don’t think people realize how absolutely terrible you have to be to post 4 consecutive years without a winning record as a team in a major conference

And then how little an athletic department has to care about its players and fans to bring the architect of those 4 years back for year 5
It is a huge middle finger to fans bringing this loser back

The mental gymnastics being used to defend Fred Hoiberg is unbelievable.

I don’t think it is Fred.
It is to provide cover for Trev when he once again decides to sacrifice the student athletes and program another year to spend down the buyout
So you want to fire the coach who beat Iowa twice, Minnesota twice and Wisconsin and Creighton on their home floors AND had the best record in the conference in February……. Makes a lot of sense.

They really can't even sell "hope" at this point since more than likely the team will be much worse next year.
We have no way of knowing that. North Carolina was the preseason number one and will likely not get in the NCAA tourney. Especially with the portal and immediate eligibility there’s no way to predict.

Reactions: Gary.Busey
So you want to fire the coach who beat Iowa twice, Minnesota twice and Wisconsin and Creighton on their home floors AND had the best record in the conference in February……. Makes a lot of sense.
😅

Only a segment of our fan base could come up with these type of mental exercises

I will do one better … if you ignore all the games Frost lost - he was undefeated - can’t believe we fired him

😅

Only a segment of our fan base could come up with these type of mental exercises

I will do one better … if you ignore all the games Frost lost - he was undefeated - can’t believe we fired him
Sorry. Don’t share your angst over Fred.

So a little success in the month of February undones the results of the last four years? Final loss was to the worst team in the Big Ten! It is apparent that many people disagree with you !

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
So a little success in the month of February undones the results of the last four years? Final loss was to the worst team in the Big Ten! It is apparent that many people disagree with you !
The bottom line is it really doesn’t matter what clowns posting on a free message board think. And yes I include myself as one of the clowns. 🤡. I agree that Fred’s tenure has been very disappointing but I also know that Trev has to weigh factors besides the record.

February means nothing after losing to the worse big 10 team in the conference tourney. This is year 4 and losing predominantly most of the roster that contributed. Year 4 and a 500 record and no post season again. My oh my glad to know there are no expectations.

Fred’s been a major flop, but he’s clearly coming back next season. I would hope Alberts has a conversation with him about how much better the team played after a couple of starters went down and - Eureka! - they figured out that ball movement and moving without the ball produce positive results. If next season brings a return of the stagnant, standing around shit show we saw in previous seasons, show Fred the door.

I've said it many times. Fred's best job security was Scott Frost. Nebraska football is where the big money is and what the big donors pay the most attention to. And like it or not, most programs do not want to fire their two highest profile coaches in the same year. So get ready for another year with Fred. But I will say that this year was the best coached NU men's b-ball team I've seen since Tim had Craig Smith helping him. The staff did a good job. The team played with a lot more energy and was fundamentally sound for the first time in several years.

Tim Miles got 7 years for having one good month and getting a tourney bid so it fits what we've done in the past.

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Tim Miles had a couple of winning seasons. Something Fred has not done! And two wrongs do not make a right!!!

Best record in his time with Nebraska I believe... I don't know what his contract is like but I'm willing to give him another year anyways. They played better as the season progressed. If the team implodes next season then I'd say it's time to move on

Tim Miles got 7 years for having one good month and getting a tourney bid so it fits what we've done in the past.
Tim Miles got fired because we decided that despite winning 22 games and 19 games his last 2 seasons if at least one of those wasn’t accompanied by an NCAA tourney bid then it wasn’t good enough

Tim Miles got fired because we decided that despite winning 22 games and 19 games his last 2 seasons if at least one of those wasn’t accompanied by an NCAA tourney bid then it wasn’t good enough
Miles didn’t help his cause with his off the court indiscretions and for his public feud with the administration. Plenty of blame on both sides.

And we were right. He also got fired for having a lot of embarrassing home losses to teams like Incarnate Word, Gardner-Webb, Samford, and Kent State.

Hoiberg has been terrible, but there isn't a single program in the country that wouldn't have fired Miles in 2019 if they had a chance to hire Fred Hoiberg. Hoiberg had two Big 12 championships, 4 NCAA tournament wins, and NBA coaching experience. Miles had never won a tournament game or come close to winning a conference title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT