ADVERTISEMENT

Does Fred Hoiberg keep his job?

Even if they do make the NIT, I still don't think Fred deserves to keep his job.
Personally I liked the new look Huskers showed in February. Best conference record for the month. I have no idea if he’ll have enough talent to be competitive next year. I think with the buyout involved we probably need to give him another year.

I think they'll give him one more year since I doubt they'd even look at someone like Chris Beard with his baggage. He'd be the guy I'd target if they moved on but with his baggage, I doubt it would fly here. But I think he'd win a ton in the Big 10 given his slow paced, defensive style.

Reactions: huskerdrb
Exactly. Why are we even talking about this? Zero chance he's fired.
Yeah there is no chance Nebraska pays 11 million for a basketball coach to go away. There was improvement made and the team was playing good ball for the last month of the season. He will probably be on the hot seat next year if the team takes a step back. If the team improves, he'll be around.

The reality is expectations just aren't high in basketball. We have a pretty terrible basketball program traditionally where we have given coaches giant leashes to be mediocre or worse.

I think they'll give him one more year since I doubt they'd even look at someone like Chris Beard with his baggage. He'd be the guy I'd target if they moved on but with his baggage, I doubt it would fly here. But I think he'd win a ton in the Big 10 given his slow paced, defensive style.
Nebraska could cover itself with blow, hookers and $100 bills and Chris Beard wouldn't even glance in our direction. I wish it weren't so.

Lawrence is an interesting PG for next season, but losing Keisei and Walker is like 75%+ of the basketball IQ on the team. Hoiberg's son is probably a big chunk of the remaining 25% that saw the court for us. Not sure how we fill that gap but it will most likely involve a lot of $$$.

Coach and team is headed in right direction. For all the negative people you act like you can tell the future. He deserves another year just like I would give you if you went through the adversity this team went through this year. He is a good coach and pretty smart more than you give him. He is at least show bing sone adjustments to the big 10. He and the team had only one bad loss. Not bad for a .500 team.

They became a very good team as of recent and had an amazing last month of the season. It was an improvement as it was his first winning season here. With his buyout on top of the way we finished the regular season, and the way the media has been praising him, I think its foolish to cut him now. Next year needs to have a better overall record. A respectable one. We have to rise above mediocrity next year or I will be ready to join the fire Hoiberg train.

Je showed improvement in the win column and his recruiting tactics. Seems Trev told him to get away from the 75% transfer portal players and get some high school kids. He has one more year to prove his worth.

Personally I liked the new look Huskers showed in February. Best conference record for the month. I have no idea if he’ll have enough talent to be competitive next year. I think with the buyout involved we probably need to give him another year.
As per the usual, we are in agreement !

Next year NU will likely be starting from scratch, just like they have every year under Hoiberg. Walker, Griesel, and Bandoumel are gone for sure, and possibly Tominaga, too. Undoubtedly a few guys will transfer out, and a few more will transfer in.

NU was a respectable team in large part because of the veteran savvy Walker and Griesel brought to each game. Tominaga's emergence the second half of the season was also difference maker.

Once again, NU will have a lot of holes to fill next year. Their best bet is to pull a couple of guys in the Walker/Griesel mold that are veterans that won't need 15 games to get their legs under them.

Je showed improvement in the win column and his recruiting tactics. Seems Trev told him to get away from the 75% transfer portal players and get some high school kids. He has one more year to prove his worth.
So he's losing a bunch of contributors and has to replace them with HS talent? Should be interesting.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We will most of the team back, minus the seniors of course. Portal for a Griese type---loved the big point guard aspect and a big who can handle the ball like Walker. NU b-ball now has the NIL to help. Some keep writing that Lloyd is leaving (?)...don't know where that info comes from and add Rice at 6-7--NU has an identity to sell after this year.
Next year NU will likely be starting from scratch, just like they have every year under Hoiberg. Walker, Griesel, and Bandoumel are gone for sure, and possibly Tominaga, too. Undoubtedly a few guys will transfer out, and a few more will transfer in.

NU was a respectable team in large part because of the veteran savvy Walker and Griesel brought to each game. Tominaga's emergence the second half of the season was also difference maker.

Once again, NU will have a lot of holes to fill next year. Their best bet is to pull a couple of guys in the Walker/Griesel mold that are veterans that won't need 15 games to get their legs under them.

4th year. Bounced 1st round of conference tourney. More than likely no post season again. He will be back but he doesnt deserve it.
clint eastwood Deserve's got nothing to do with it. GIF

Agreed, the only thing keeping him here is his contract.

a) we’re not gonna do better.
b) he’s improved us, every year. And no year more significantly than THIS year, despite what I think everyone here would agree with LESS Talent than last year…

2019-20Nebraska7–252–1814th
2020–21Nebraska7–203–1614th
2021–22Nebraska10–224–1613th
2022–23Nebraska16–169–1111th

just sayin. If he takes some huge step back next year, then maybe. Let’s see if he can build on it…

I am fine with whatever Trev decides. Fred's record is abysmal. But, he's also Fred Hoiberg, NBA player, executive, head coach and offensive mastermind. Tyronn Lue wanted this job when Moos gave it to Fred. But he also wasn't an NBA head coach at the time so I think that ship has sailed with him being a head coach in LA.

Outside of Ty Lue, we would be hiring who exactly? DeVries from Drake? Maybe Trev could lure Craig Smith from Utah? I just don't see us getting anyone remotely as qualified as Fred and we'd be hiring another Tim Miles or Doc Sadler.

The main issue plaguing Nebraska right now is NIL. I'm very intrigued to see 1890 in the fold for Husker hoops. We need 3 to 4 impact transfers to go alongside Blaise, Gary, and Lawrence next year. That's going to require some serious coin. I've heard from multiple people Hunter Sallis and Chucky Hepburn could both be in the portal soon. If 1890 can pony up some money we can build on the success from this year. But at the end of the day it's gonna be a lot more about who is writing the checks and less about who is holding the whistle.

a) we’re not gonna do better.
b) he’s improved us, every year. And no year more significantly than THIS year, despite what I think everyone here would agree with LESS Talent than last year…

2019-20Nebraska7–252–1814th
2020–21Nebraska7–203–1614th
2021–22Nebraska10–224–1613th
2022–23Nebraska16–169–1111th

just sayin. If he takes some huge step back next year, then maybe. Let’s see if he can build on it…
That is a stretch of epic proportions to say that he "improved" every year. Sure - technically by decimal points. But the truth is it was 3 years of terrible and 1 year of below average. I'll give him a pass on year 1 because Miles basically tore the place to the ground his last year. I like what he did this year but if he repeats it next year he needs to be gone.

That is a stretch of epic proportions to say that he "improved" every year. Sure - technically by decimal points. But the truth is it was 3 years of terrible and 1 year of below average. I'll give him a pass on year 1 because Miles basically tore the place to the ground his last year. I like what he did this year but if he repeats it next year he needs to be gone.
He has NONETHELESS improved. This was the first year of his tenure we were even ‘in the discussion’, down two starters, playing, what 7 players? How many of our starters would have started on any BiG team in the top half?

But we agree… if we regress with any significance, gotta keep lookin. I was impressed by this year. Thought there was no WAY we’d improve with the dip in talent we took. He showed something.

A crowd sourced coaching staff could’ve improved on his abysmal records years 1-3

We got hot & lucky at the same time in a bad conference and many here believe it was something more than that

Not surprised considering the colossal idiots/bleeding hearts who post here

Last edited:
Reactions: moralvictories
Rick Pitino top candidate for St John’s job

Did someone actually say dead Fred was the best candidate in 2018?

Guy hasn’t led a team to a winning record since 2013

Nice guys finish last. Then last again. Then 2nd to last before topping out at 3rd to last

A crowd sourced coaching staff could’ve improved on his abysmal records years 1-3

We got hot & lucky at the same time in a bad conference and many here believe it was something more than that

Not surprised considering the colossal idiots/bleeding hearts who post here
Don’t disagree that we’re the worst P5 team in the history of men’s basketball. Don’t misunderstand. Am simply opining we’re not gonna do better.

Don’t disagree that we’re the worst P5 team in the history of men’s basketball. Don’t misunderstand. Am simply opining we’re not gonna do better.
Not with losers like you & Fred running things

Not with losers like you & Fred running things
Who do you want? How bout Pitino? It’s not like there are any coaches who’re gonna be a) eager to come here and b) bring better Talent than what we’ve had.

I’d be GLAD to be wrong. Winning is…..

everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT