ADVERTISEMENT

Does Fred Hoiberg keep his job?

Even if they do make the NIT, I still don't think Fred deserves to keep his job.
Who gives a fk what you think as no one else does and never will, and in the grand scheme of things not looking too good for ya OP. Just a thought, go post on subjects yore qualified to post in and leave round ball alone as you are most definitely not qualified.

And we were right. He also got fired for having a lot of embarrassing home losses to teams like Incarnate Word, Gardner-Webb, Samford, and Kent State.

Hoiberg has been terrible, but there isn't a single program in the country that wouldn't have fired Miles in 2019 if they had a chance to hire Fred Hoiberg. Hoiberg had two Big 12 championships, 4 NCAA tournament wins, and NBA coaching experience. Miles had never won a tournament game or come close to winning a conference title.
In 2018, Fred was 4 years removed from his last winning record

He’s now 8 years removed

He’s a meek wuss who garners zero respect from anybody

You also wanted to play a D2 team instead of playing in Norman due to COVID

Your reputation here as bleeding heart know it all carries with it exactly no credibility

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

You also wanted to play a D2 team instead of playing in Norman due to COVID

Your reputation here as bleeding heart know it all carries with it exactly no credibility

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
Not a D2 team. I wanted to bring in an extra 8-10 million to NU and avoid a guaranteed Liss by playing OU. Much the same as my acceptance that Fred gets another year it was economics. Your rant is based on emotion and not rational financial decisions. Hmmm who else do we know that does that?

Not a D2 team. I wanted to bring in an extra 8-10 million to NU and avoid a guaranteed Liss by playing OU. Much the same as my acceptance that Fred gets another year it was economics. Your rant is based on emotion and not rational financial decisions. Hmmm who else do we know that does that?
While forfeiting double that when OU came to Lincoln - very smart economics from our resident phd!

Yep, you’re right, it’s completely irrational to fire the worst basketball coach in NU history right after signing the richest TV deal in college sports history & right after paying full freight to tell our football coach to make like a horse turd

Do tell.. very excited for some allegations!

While forfeiting double that when OU came to Lincoln - very smart economics from our resident phd!

Yep, you’re right, it’s completely irrational to fire the worst basketball coach in NU history right after signing the richest TV deal in college sports history & right after paying full freight to tell our football coach to make like a horse turd

Do tell.. very excited for some allegations!
We wouldn’t forfeit twice that for an OU visit. You need to do some more research on revenue generation for home games. That slot would have been filled with another team that would have reduced the amount of lost TV revenue. Find another 2 year old topic to whine about.

We wouldn’t forfeit twice that for an OU visit. You need to do some more research on revenue generation for home games. That slot would have been filled with another team that would have reduced the amount of lost TV revenue. Find another 2 year old topic to whine about.
We hosted FOX’s gameday show that day. Doesn’t happen for just any old opponent. The city was ablaze for days prior. You wanted to take food out of local business owners’ kids’ mouths so the university could save face and make a cheap buck

Just an example of many of your opinions that have led to this one re: our basketball coach

Nothing more nothing less

Cheerio

Last edited:
And we were right. He also got fired for having a lot of embarrassing home losses to teams like Incarnate Word, Gardner-Webb, Samford, and Kent State.

Hoiberg has been terrible, but there isn't a single program in the country that wouldn't have fired Miles in 2019 if they had a chance to hire Fred Hoiberg. Hoiberg had two Big 12 championships, 4 NCAA tournament wins, and NBA coaching experience. Miles had never won a tournament game or come close to winning a conference title.
All of that has no bearing on whether you bring back Hoiberg for year 5 given his historic failure

Hoiberg inherited a program that in the 2 years prior to his arrival averaged over 20 wins per season … he has yet to post a single winning record in his 4 years

It has been 60 years since a Nebraska basketball coach has strung together 4 consecutive seasons without a single one being above .500 …. he has been historically bad even at a historically bad program

No fan base and athletic department doubles down on historic failure like ours does

So you want to fire the coach who beat Iowa twice, Minnesota twice and Wisconsin and Creighton on their home floors AND had the best record in the conference in February……. Makes a lot of sense.
So you want to retain a coach who given the talent to accomplish the above can’t even coach that level of talent to an NIT bid?

Why in the world would someone invest in NIL for the basketball program when the coaching is so lacking and the athletic department clearly isn’t interested in maximizing its talent

Reactions: king_kong_
So you want to retain a coach who given the talent to accomplish the above can’t even coach that level of talent to an NIT bid?

Why in the world would someone invest in NIL for the basketball program when the coaching is so lacking and the athletic department clearly isn’t interested in maximizing its talent
Not sure if you heard but Fred had one good month (out of 48) and we must be prudent because [reasons]

Keeping Fred does nothing but guarantee we won’t compete until 2025 at the earliest. Thanks, blockhead Trev

Not sure if you heard but Fred had one good month (out of 48) and we must be prudent because [reasons]

Keeping Fred does nothing but guarantee we won’t compete until 2025 at the earliest. Thanks, blockhead Trev
Wah wah wah😥

Who gives a fk what you think as no one else does and never will, and in the grand scheme of things not looking too good for ya OP. Just a thought, go post on subjects yore qualified to post in and leave round ball alone as you are most definitely not qualified.
Sure, let's keep the worst coach in Nebraska basketball history around a few more years. I'm sure that would make you happy, right?

Sure, let's keep the worst coach in Nebraska basketball history around a few more years. I'm sure that would make you happy, right?

7ebqws.jpg

I think this staff did better this year. It was a pleasant surprise to be able to watch a team actually share the ball. One big positive was that was that most of the team could actually catch a pass without dropping or bobbling it first (except Keita who looked like Doc Sadler taught him offensive skills). That has plagued this program as long as long as I’ve been alive. When we have decent teams, this is a noticeable difference.

It kinda did work for Northwestern with Chris Collins this year. He had 5 straight losing seasons before this year.

Also Pitt with Jeff Capel. He had 4 straight losing seasons before this year.

Both won Coach of the Year this year in their respective conferences and made the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: TheNewNU
At least Tim Miles qualified for post season play 4 out of his 7 seasons here.
I am more than fine if Trev wants to get rid of Fred, also fine if he wants to keep him another year. His record is abysmal. But he also had 4 big injuries this year with McPherson, Gary, Bandoumel, and Keita and strung together a good month to get the team to .500. I'm more concerned about NIL than who is holding the whistle. Until Nebraska gets that up to snuff .500 is going to be the best we can hope for.

Someone fed the 1620 guys a stat that in the last 50 years of "Power 6" men's college basketball, there have been 6 coaches total that took teams to The Dance after non-winning seasons their first 4 years at that school. The odds are stacked against Fred but at least we reduce the buyout some more. If a change is made next season, unless we find a "slam dunk" hire I'd say try the hot assistant route this time. Even if they move on after a few years it means they've left Nebrasketball better.

Someone fed the 1620 guys a stat that in the last 50 years of "Power 6" men's college basketball, there have been 6 coaches total that took teams to The Dance after non-winning seasons their first 4 years at that school. The odds are stacked against Fred but at least we reduce the buyout some more. If a change is made next season, unless we find a "slam dunk" hire I'd say try the hot assistant route this time. Even if they move on after a few years it means they've left Nebrasketball better.
I am really starting to wonder if Power 6 is quickly going to away for the Power 2 the way it will for football. Starting July 1, 2024 B1G and SEC schools will be earning double to triple the amount of money that ACC, PAC 12, XII, and Big East schools will. That will spill over quickly into other sports as well. With schools like UNC, Duke, and Kansas making peanuts compared to the likes of Northwestern and Purdue. I really don't think the best coaches will want to coach for an Okie State or Arizona State when they can coach at a Wisconsin or a Nebraska for double the money, better facilities, and NIL access. I really think we are moving into a state of massive income inequality in college sports. Where the Power 2 conferences will get the best players and coaches and win more and more of the titles. If we let Fred go next year, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised who we can land.

I am really starting to wonder if Power 6 is quickly going to away for the Power 2 the way it will for football. Starting July 1, 2024 B1G and SEC schools will be earning double to triple the amount of money that ACC, PAC 12, XII, and Big East schools will. That will spill over quickly into other sports as well. With schools like UNC, Duke, and Kansas making peanuts compared to the likes of Northwestern and Purdue. I really don't think the best coaches will want to coach for an Okie State or Arizona State when they can coach at a Wisconsin or a Nebraska for double the money, better facilities, and NIL access. I really think we are moving into a state of massive income inequality in college sports. Where the Power 2 conferences will get the best players and coaches and win more and more of the titles. If we let Fred go next year, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised who we can land.
coupling NIL with conference payouts is a mistake

the two are and will continue to be separate

Big East schools, for example, boast large numbers of highly successful and extremely competitive/proud alumnus. their ability to cut massive checks to individuals - whether players or coaches - will not change

Reactions: Redmich
If this was year 1....that would be one thing

But, the 3 best players on this team are all gone. There is no help from HS coming in...
This is exactly how I feel. We are right back to 9 wins next year. Make no mistake, I enjoyed watching this year as much as anyone else. But we can’t seriously be thinking he’s even on the road to build a middle of the pack B1G team.

Have they been good since Durant was there? I stopped watching XII basketball 10 years ago.
They ****ed up in chasing off Rick Barnes...

Then they ****ed up in firing Beard because they could have just suspended him for the season and brought him back.

Now, rumor is that the KSU coach, Mizzo coach, Coach Mac (no way he would go there anyway) and Oates and possibly Muss have turned them down.

Cal still wants the job bad.

They ****ed up in chasing off Rick Barnes...

Then they ****ed up in firing Beard because they could have just suspended him for the season and brought him back.

Now, rumor is that the KSU coach, Mizzo coach, Coach Mac (no way he would go there anyway) and Oates and possibly Muss have turned them down.

Cal still wants the job bad.
this is silly talk. texas will take the interim off coach terry. his team could very well make the final four.

as for beard and ole miss, i can't imagine how much that woman made from her beating. it must have been a motherload.

why nebraska never wins in hoops is a riddle wrapped in a conundrum. it makes no sense other than every great coach and player knows which sport comes first in lincoln. that's likely the problem in c'bus as well for coach holtmann.

Last edited:
He's +5 on last year with a roster noone expected would even win a single conference game. GTFO. There's actually some momentum right now.
Yep. That's pretty much how I recall this board sounding in early December 🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT