ADVERTISEMENT

Do you remember school being canceled because of cold weather?

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
I never remember as a kid school being canceled because it was too cold. Too much snow for sure but never ever for cold temps. Different times I guess. BTW, it's 12 below zero right now (2am) in Omaha. -32 wind chill. Back in the day this was a walk on the beach! :Cool:

I do, although it didn't happen often. Days like today and tomorrow I suspect they would have back in my day. The single digit days, probably not so I think that has changed since then. Probably don't want the liability.

No, and the amount of people telling other people that its cold outside on social media is ridiculous. Hey guess what everybody! Its cold outside. Did ya know that huh? Did ya? Well allow me to parrot the hype the media wants me to and tell everybody how dangerous it is, because it wasnt dangerous last year, or the year before that...etc.
ALL PRAISE THE SMARTPHONE, MY ONE AND ONLY TRUE GOD!

I don't remember it but that doesn't mean it didn't happen either, I just don't remember it. However, because of kids who have to wait at bus stops I have zero problem with it being cancelled, because there will be busses that get stuck, break down, don't start, etc, and a lot of kids who probably don't have proper clothes on will be outside for way to long.

I was in elementary school in Lincoln in the 90s, school would be cancelled occasionally due to low temperatures/wind chill. The best was when it would happen on Runza's Temperature Tuesdays.

Never did that I can recall when I was in OPS from 1961-1974, but then again we didn't have all of the busing that goes on now, and that's the biggest reason for the cancellations. My guess is most of those buses wouldn't even start this morning (They run on diesel fuel).

I don’t ever remember cold like what we’re talking about today.

In any case, it seems perfectly reasonable - even sensible - to call off school for these extreme temperatures. When medical professionals are saying not to go out unless it is an extreme emergency, why in the hell would you want kids waiting at bus stops?

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Perhaps Mommy or Daddy didnt dress them appropriately...?
This doesn't apply anymore. We had several days of not getting mail this past year. When we inquired, we were told that rural carriers are not allowed to deliver mail after dark. WHAT??!!!???

Reactions: mmunso7
Don't remember having school closed for cold alone. The old school had boilers for steam heat. Occasionally it would get called off because of boiler trouble/no heat.

There would be times when there would be school but limited bus service....run where possible. It was your responsibility to get to the bus or make it to school. And that was before everyone had 4 wheel drive. Tire chains Yes

Reactions: dinglefritz
I never remember as a kid school being canceled because it was too cold. Too much snow for sure but never ever for cold temps. Different times I guess. BTW, it's 12 below zero right now (2am) in Omaha. -32 wind chill. Back in the day this was a walk on the beach! :Cool:

Too be honest I remember a lot more snow but never -30 below wind chills..

They need to care for the younger kids so it’s a smart idea... This type of cold weather is even hard on your automobiles..

Too be honest I remember a lot more snow but never -30 below win chills..

They need to care for the younger kids so it’s a smart idea... This type of cold weather is even hard on you automobiles..
I wonder how many people are getting tickets this morning in areas that have made it illegal to have your vehicle idling in your driveway letting it warm up

What a waste of law enforcement resources

It got down to -7 last night. It was -19 and -22 In Dec, 2016 here. And thats a small sample, so its not like it hasnt been colder. I dont want people out and getting hurt, but to say it hasnt happened is just false. Look we get it, you want the day off. Awesome. Its only a day so please be safe. But dont act like youre witnessing history.

I wonder how many people are getting tickets this morning in areas that have made it illegal to have your vehicle idling in your driveway letting it warm up

What a waste of law enforcement resources

That’s a stupid law and I’m not aware there is a law like that in Omaha... Most my neighborhood is warming up their car in there driveway or there staying put and not going any where..

That’s a stupid law and I’m not aware there is a law like that in Omaha... Most my neighborhood is warming up there car in there driveway or there stying put and not going any where..
I haven't heard of any laws in Nebraska. But there are several out east that do. I will try to find some examples.

Here's a n article below.

It doesn't even matter how long your car is running, most states consider idling an automatic misdemeanor. Even cars that have an automatic start feature are against the law in some states, according to Lifewire. (Hey, don't kill the messenger.)

The penalties vary from state to state. In Washington D.C., for example, you can get fined $5,000 if your car is sitting around for just three minutes. Other states are more lenient, like Pennsylvania, where the law states you can idle for 20 minutes when the temperature is below 40º.

You can check your own state's laws on the EPA's website, but here are the states that don't allow you to let your car idle (it's most of them):

Arizona

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Minnesota

Missouri

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

Wisconsin

Wyoming

This isn't just lawmakers' way of messing with you, by the way. It's actually meant to help the environment! Another weird overlooked law in many states: You have to scrape all the ice and snow off your car, otherwise you'll get fined for distracted driving. So, when you trek outside to deal with the latest blizzard after math, remember that you're helping your fellow drivers and the planet! It might just warm your heart enough to make your car defrost

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I'm in my mid 30's (so not that old) and actually said to my wife last night that kids today really are soft compared to when we were kids - I never had school cancelled because it was 'too cold' outside.

The best part is the only people we have to blame is ourselves. It's everyone old enough to complain about kids now days being soft suing when something could have been avoided.

Don't remember having school closed for cold alone. The old school had boilers for steam heat. Occasionally it would get called off because of boiler trouble/no heat.

There would be times when there would be school but limited bus service....run where possible. It was your responsibility to get to the bus or make it to school. And that was before everyone had 4 wheel drive. Tire chains Yes
Yes I remember the coal fired boilers at school, don't forget the miserable ride on the school bus, but hey we survived because our patients made us dress properly as did the teachers made sure. But today is a different ballgame, I don't care where you go, towns like hebron,York, Beatrice, lincoln, most kids are wearing light coats some wear shorts, nothing close to what they need to be wearing in this type of weather conditions. I saw a mother and daughter in Walmart, I made a comment about her daughter needed to put some more clothes on since I herd her complaining about it being cold, her mothers response was that what she wanted to wear.

Reactions: Wasker77
No, and the amount of people telling other people that its cold outside on social media is ridiculous. Hey guess what everybody! Its cold outside. Did ya know that huh? Did ya? Well allow me to parrot the hype the media wants me to and tell everybody how dangerous it is, because it wasnt dangerous last year, or the year before that...etc.
ALL PRAISE THE SMARTPHONE, MY ONE AND ONLY TRUE GOD!

People getting into their offices this morning will exclaim to their colleagues about how cold it is. It’s the same thing, just a different medium. Hell, you’re on social media right now participating in a thread about how cold it is.

I haven't heard of any laws in Nebraska. But there are several out east that do. I will try to find some examples.

Here's a n article below.

It doesn't even matter how long your car is running, most states consider idling an automatic misdemeanor. Even cars that have an automatic start feature are against the law in some states, according to Lifewire. (Hey, don't kill the messenger.)

The penalties vary from state to state. In Washington D.C., for example, you can get fined $5,000 if your car is sitting around for just three minutes. Other states are more lenient, like Pennsylvania, where the law states you can idle for 20 minutes when the temperature is below 40º.

You can check your own state's laws on the EPA's website, but here are the states that don't allow you to let your car idle (it's most of them):

Arizona

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Delaware

District of Columbia

Georgia

Hawaii

Illinois

Louisiana

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Minnesota

Missouri

Nevada

New Hampshire

New Jersey

New York

Ohio

Oregon

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

Wisconsin

Wyoming

This isn't just lawmakers' way of messing with you, by the way. It's actually meant to help the environment! Another weird overlooked law in many states: You have to scrape all the ice and snow off your car, otherwise you'll get fined for distracted driving. So, when you trek outside to deal with the latest blizzard after math, remember that you're helping your fellow drivers and the planet! It might just warm your heart enough to make your car defrost
I'm sure they just look at the cameras they have posted everywhere, because if the police actually start writing tickets for letting you car idle then this country is in worse shape than we thought

I'm in my mid 30's (so not that old) and actually said to my wife last night that kids today really are soft compared to when we were kids - I never had school cancelled because it was 'too cold' outside.

Can you prove that you had days that were -30's? I am a similar age and we didn't experience temperatures like that often in Lincoln. I certainly remember days off for cold with maybe a bit of ice. Please recognize that a large portion of our population don't have resources like coats and mittens. Yes there are options to get those for free, but not enough. Those are also the kids that are walking to school. They aren't soft for calling school because they don't want kids walking in -30 temps in a hoodie.

Can you prove that you had days that were -30's? I am a similar age and we didn't experience temperatures like that often in Lincoln. Please recognize that a large portion of our population don't have resources like coats and mittens. Yes there are options to get those for free, but not enough. Those are also the kids that are walking to school. They aren't soft for calling school because they don't want kids walking in -30 temps in a hoodie.

LMFAO. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

LMFAO. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Can you prove that you had days that were -30's? I am a similar age and we didn't experience temperatures like that often in Lincoln. I certainly remember days off for cold with maybe a bit of ice. Please recognize that a large portion of our population don't have resources like coats and mittens. Yes there are options to get those for free, but not enough. Those are also the kids that are walking to school. They aren't soft for calling school because they don't want kids walking in -30 temps in a hoodie.
Well maybe the parents need to prioritize the needs instead of buying cigarettes and booze to go along with buying lottery tickets daily. I grew up in the 60's and 70's on the farm and I'll tell you right now nobody but possible the local banker had much money , but all our parents made sure we were dressed properly. Back then the school bus just went on the county road it didn't come right up to the house like today. Some of us kids had to walk 1/8-1/4 mile just to catch the bus. I don't buy it that the people don't have the resources today

Yes I remember the coal fired boilers at school, don't forget the miserable ride on the school bus, but hey we survived because our patients made us dress properly as did the teachers made sure. But today is a different ballgame, I don't care where you go, towns like hebron,York, Beatrice, lincoln, most kids are wearing light coats some wear shorts, nothing close to what they need to be wearing in this type of weather conditions. I saw a mother and daughter in Walmart, I made a comment about her daughter needed to put some more clothes on since I herd her complaining about it being cold, her mothers response was that what she wanted to wear.
Yep. Remember sometimes I felt like that little kid on a Christmas story. So bundled up that he couldn't move. We even put plastic bread wrapper sacks over our socks. Would keep any moisture from getting socks wet!! Oh the days

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT