ADVERTISEMENT

Do you remember school being canceled because of cold weather?

The strangest day I can ever remember getting out of school was one day in late January/early February. I think it was 1972. It was around freezing with gray skies and not a flake of snow in sight. We were sent home early at noon because there was a blizzard blowing in from Western Nebraska. We all were laughing as we left the school grounds. We thought for sure the superintendent had lost his mind (We had a goofball). Less than 2 hours later there was at least a foot, foot and a half of snow on the ground. Our superintendent was still a goofball, but on that day he made the right call.

And the amount of people going on a free husker message board to complain about the people going on their phones and then facebook to complain about the weather, all the while forgetting that in our current world 5 year olds have to walk to school with little more than a light jacket because their parents are overdosing on heroin. THe lesson is...if you were able to walk to school you probably had a person provide you with winter clothing when you were little and therefore should STFU!

You are a ****ing moron. Do you really believe even half the shit you post?

Last edited:
Yep, we didn’t used to get it called off for snow, but when it got so cold the diesel would gell and the busses wouldn’t start, they had to call it off.

They still didn't call school off in the then small town in western Sarpy County. City kids had to go to school and all our friends in the country got to stay home because no bus service. That way it could still count as a school day.

Second grade in the late 60s, subzero with a strong north wind. I don't recall actual windchill. Not even sure if they reported windchills then. Boilers had gone out. The entire K-12 were all in one building yet. No bus service but City kids still had school. Put all of us in our coats and gloves in the classrooms on the south side of the school because they were a little warmer than the north side, until 1:00 p.m. and then dismissed us so they could call it a snow day.

I wonder how many people are getting tickets this morning in areas that have made it illegal to have your vehicle idling in your driveway letting it warm up

What a waste of law enforcement resources

Lots of states have the law that says u cant idle ur car w out being in it. I believe that law was passed because the environmental folks lobbied for that.

U can take online PE classes now in high school.

I dont even think the word "soft" is appropriate for kids now a days.

Lots of states have the law that says u cant idle ur car w out being in it. I believe that law was passed because the environmental folks lobbied for that.
ImI sure you are correct. Still makes it stupid. Id like to Kno how many tickets they wrote this past week. If the answer is none, there's your answer

I stopped reading after a page.

Get off my lawn. There, now you can write a book report on this.

ImI sure you are correct. Still makes it stupid. Id like to Kno how many tickets they wrote this past week. If the answer is none, there's your answer

I dont think they sweat u too much if ur in ur driveway, I think its more for out in public, like keeping ur car running while going into a store something like that..

Plus if u leave ur car runnung maybe ur robbing the joint..lol i know it sounds funny but...

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
I dont think they sweat u too much if ur in ur driveway, I think its more for out in public, like keeping ur car running while going into a store something like that..

Plus if u leave ur car runnung maybe ur robbibg the joint..lol i know it soubds funny but...
Reminds me of the bill the state senator from Ralston proposed a couple years ago. The intent was to ban use of cell phones by drivers while not parked; however, the way it was written originally banned all types of communication devices, including one-way communication such as radios.

Plus if u leave ur car runnung maybe ur robbing the joint..lol i know it sounds funny but...
Nope. Law says in your driveway

A better approach to your argument: Most of our parents weren't around to parent us with a 2-parent income household, it's not their fault entirely. It was more so the money hungry system that's to blame. I had a disabled father that was able to put the time and efforts into raising me right because he wasn't exhausted from work and could spend every summer with me...think about the difference that would make. Hell maybe if we could survive on a 1-parent income the parent at home would carry out the daily curriculum for school cancellations and we wouldn't be having this conversation all together.

To make matters worse parents have been addicted to technology since the 80s so now when they do have free time they sit their kid in front of a TV so they can browse social media. Unfortunately parenting has gotten much worse since I was a kid...its our generation that needs to take responsibility and wake up.
This shiite is too deep for this board and the idiots that reside here. Stick with hawt teachers having sex with 15 year old boys and polluting balloons instead. Most of these hacks think they did everything on their own and that their own skin was as good as a winter coat. Most can bench press a 7 foot Japanese Qb, and run a 40 like a white Noel Devine. Here is the formula:

1. The past world was better than it is today.
2. People were tougher and smarter and more patriotic
3. But life for me was hard and I still did everything on my own
4. So the world today is worse, but kids have it easier
5. Poor people waste their money on boos and lottery tickets
6. How many customizations have your made to your AR-15?
6a. What are you drinking tonight?

Last edited:
This shiite is too deep for this board and the idiots that reside here. Stick with hawt teachers having sex with 15 year old boys and polluting balloons instead. Most of these hacks think they did everything on their own and that their own skin was as good as a winter coat. Most can bench press a 7 foot Japanese Qb, and run a 40 like a white Noel Devine. Here is the formula:

1. The past world was better than it is today.
2. People were tougher and smarter and more patriotic
3. But life for me was hard and I still did everything on my own
4. So the world today is worse, but kids have it easier
5. Poor people waste their money on boos and lottery tickets
6. How many customizations have your made to your AR-15?
6. What are you drinking tonight?
You run out of your Valium or zanax? Chill dude.

My bad, I couldn't resist. Let's go with December of 1983 January of 84 brutal cold. I recorded 20 day of temperature of zero or less never got above zero . I remember dad saying 1936 was one of the hottest years and one of the coldest, no snow and the ground cracked open, people with buried water lines had them freeze because the lines weren't buried below the frost line.

In 1983-84, the late December and Early January cold spell, there would have been no school to cancel, since everyone would have been off on Christmas vacation. The coldest stretch of that brutal cold spell was the week leading up to Christmas. To be factually accurate, not many folks were on the roads, because the trucks couldn't get out to clear the roads. If I remember correctly, and I am sure I do, there was like a 2 day break after Christmas 1983, where it warmed up enough for them to get the trucks out to break up the ice.

So let's not change the history in an attempt to make it look like we want it to.

In 1983-84, the late December and Early January cold spell, there would have been no school to cancel, since everyone would have been off on Christmas vacation. The coldest stretch of that brutal cold spell was the week leading up to Christmas. To be factually accurate, not many folks were on the roads, because the trucks couldn't get out to clear the roads. If I remember correctly, and I am sure I do, there was like a 2 day break after Christmas 1983, where it warmed up enough for them to get the trucks out to break up the ice.

So let's not change the history in an attempt to make it look like we want it to.
We had a ice storm right after the OU game in 83 it never warmed up either, high school was still going on until Christmas break which would have been the 23, anyway around my area it was dam cold and they still had school until there break and remained cold well into the new year

I never remember as a kid school being canceled because it was too cold. Too much snow for sure but never ever for cold temps. Different times I guess. BTW, it's 12 below zero right now (2am) in Omaha. -32 wind chill. Back in the day this was a walk on the beach! :Cool:
Also the wind chill calculation has changed. I believe the old system -80 is something like -50 today. I was in Illinois on Wed for -22 with a -51 wind chill and it warranted closing school

I'm in my mid 30's (so not that old) and actually said to my wife last night that kids today really are soft compared to when we were kids - I never had school cancelled because it was 'too cold' outside.
Who's really more soft though?? It's not like the kids are making the judgment to cancel school. It's the parents of this generation that are soft.

Reactions: chrsmneric
Cold, no, snow yes. I remember going to school and it being -30.

A couple times we had heat closures iirc due to no air conditioning (I think).

Actually zero to-5 was quite common when I was growing up. Temperature and snow this year seems a little more normal...,whatever normal is

For the blue hairs, I seem to remember around 1974 there was a winter where it didn't get over 0 for 2 weeks. Every day was -10, -12, -8 when I got up and yes went to school every day.

Reactions: huskerfan66
For the blue hairs, I seem to remember around 1974 there was a winter where it didn't get over 0 for 2 weeks. Every day was -10, -12, -8 when I got up and yes went to school every day.
Well I am no blue hair. Guess I am aging gracefully. But I remember those days. Doing chores in the morning was tough. Had tire chains on trucks all winter. Took a lot of work to keep the livestock fed.

Reactions: Baxter48
Well I am no blue hair. Guess I am aging gracefully. But I remember those days. Doing chores in the morning was tough. Had tire chains on trucks all winter. Took a lot of work to keep the livestock fed.
I wonder how many people could put a set of tire chains on today? Heck my grandma had a set in the trunk of her car. That was the days not many people owned 4 wheel drive, probably the mail carrier and one maybe two farmers. Tire chains on tractors only when it was desperation but I've been down that path also

Reactions: huskerfan66
I wonder how many people could put a set of tire chains on today? Heck my grandma had a set in the trunk of her car. That was the days not many people owned 4 wheel drive, probably the mail carrier and one maybe two farmers. Tire chains on tractors only when it was desperation but I've been down that path also
Never had a color TV until 1981 and didn't have a 4wd until 1989. Two wheel drive with chains or learned how to park strategically. Studded snow tires. Could really "light them up" on asphalt!!

4WD just puts you in the ditch that much faster!
I'll agree with that especially when your in you early 20's I have a 4x4 I can do and go anywhere, but the older you get it sure comes in dam handy, out here in the sticks, the so called gravel roads are mostly dirt with a sprinkling of gravel and fill sand, you need the 4x4 to navigate a muddy road. Very few people in this area have a car either pickups or a SUV. No I'm not complaining it's just the way of life wouldn't trade it.

Hmmmmmf, well we had to get up two hours before we went to bed, go down mill and pay'em tuppenence a month day in-day out for the privilege of working there and we'd come home and mum 'n' dad would cut us in two with bread knives and dance about on our graves singing "Alleluia".

Next guy: "Luxury"
Next guy: "And you try to tell the young people that now days and they don't believe ya"

Yes, it is a rough approximation of a Monty Python skit and is a lot funnier (and shorter) than this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT