ADVERTISEMENT

Do seniors lose their final season?

It would be a wild deal. If they give them one more year, do rosters get to expand for the year? What the hell would the draft look like? Would a guy like Gaylord stick around for a 7th (?) year?

They would likely get an extra year, just like spring sports. Wonder if the ncaa would expand to 100 for the fall semester?

It would be a wild deal. If they give them one more year, do rosters get to expand for the year? What the hell would the draft look like? Would a guy like Gaylord stick around for a 7th (?) year?

Just a guess...most seniors (the ones that are not playing or not going to play and they know who they are) are done with it...so they will be happy to be done.

The dudes that were going to be studs are leaving for the draft.

I think they will say that everyone CAN come back but I think it will maybe be 2-3 per team.

The spring sport athletes were given an extra year of eligibility. The schools, however, are under no obligation to provide them with a scholarship for that extra year. Some stayed, some left to play their extra year somewhere else, some ended their careers and some stayed and will pay their own way. The NCAA only provided temporary relief for scholarships limitations for the 2021 spring season. Those sports will need to be down to the regulated limits by 2022 season. So giving players an extra year affects recruiting tremendously after this season.

Softball for example, has 13 scholarships to divide up, say 20 kids have some sort of partial deal. In 2021, there was some relief applied to those numbers, not sure what the exact relief was though. My neighbor is a coach for a local university with a team down here and we talked briefly about her team. She had 5 seniors, 2 had jobs when they graduated, 1 was injured to the point they didn't want to play, and 2 are coming back for their extra year. She identified 3 juniors that she asked to return for their extra year, and told the rest that she wouldn't have money for them after their 4 years were up, but they were free to look to grad transfer after their time was up there. She also has to figure out a way to free up 3 scholarships for 2022 season. She is probably going to have to tell a couple of players they don't have a scholarship any more or that the amount of that scholarship is going to be less than initially promised, which sucks. Since the 2021 or 2022 classes haven't signed an NLI, it can be done.

Short story long, I would imagine football would be the same way. Assuming they don't get to play the season.

My guess is if no games played no. How they handle scholarship limit down the road IDK. They're letting high schoolers have a 5th year to go to a college prep school, right??

My guess is if no games played no. How they handle scholarship limit down the road IDK. They're letting high schoolers have a 5th year to go to a college prep school, right??

High schoolers have always had the chance to go to prep school. The problem is that prep school is very expensive.

IMO, they likely would be granted an extra year by the NCAA but those with NFL prospects likely would just enter the draft.

Of course, the other interesting thing is would the NCAA allow teams to temporarily exceed the 85 scholarship limit to accommodate those seniors granted an extra year? If not, that would wreak havoc with the next recruiting class so I'm assuming it would have to happen.

Last edited:
  1. Stille
  2. Jaimes
  3. Mills
  4. Domann
  5. Williams
  6. Bootle
  7. Stoll
  8. Honas
  9. Dismuke
  10. Farniok
  11. Miller
  12. Wilson
  13. Gaylord

There are a couple guys who MAYBE get drafted late as of now, but I would assume they stick around. Nebraska has a smaller SR class than most so it's def more than 2-3 guys, especially if you count some walk-ons.

As far as I’m concerned how many games will they be able to play and still determine that no one will lose a year of eligibility?

1. Stille
  2. Jaimes
  3. Mills
  4. Domann
  5. Williams
  6. Bootle
  7. Stoll
  8. Honas
  9. Dismuke
  10. Farniok
  11. Miller
  12. Wilson
  13. Gaylord
There are a couple guys who MAYBE get drafted late as of now, but I would assume they stick around. Nebraska has a smaller SR class than most so it's def more than 2-3 guys, especially if you count some walk-ons.
I'd want to keep the Top 11 no questions asked. Gaylord is already on year 6, he's gonna be done. Wilson you could talk me into with a strong season.

It would benefit NU tremendously. Jaimes is the only one I see as a likely draft pick, albeit mid-to-late.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
He is what I think happens. If there is no season or short season I think all players will be given another year of eligibility. If there is a season but a player does not feel safe playing and wishes to sit out the year, they will be given another year of eligibility.

He is what I think happens. If there is no season or short season I think all players will be given another year of eligibility. If there is a season but a player does not feel safe playing and wishes to sit out the year, they will be given another year of eligibility.

And there is a one year roster number bump? 85 to 100? 115? That’s where is gets really messy. There are another crop of kids coming up.

And there is a one year roster number bump? 85 to 100? 115? That’s where is gets really messy. There are another crop of kids coming up.

you need to include all the walkons on the roster as well .... all those numbers need to be balanced on thw women's side for title ix purposes ... the walkons count against title ix .... if you are going to add 30 players to the roster in football you need to retain/add 30 on the women's side plus whatever you expand in the other men's sports

not going to be easy to stomach given the large revenue shortages projected

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I think it would be individual for each team, not an across the board increase in scholarships. Compliance officers are there to handle the situation so it probably isn't that big of a deal. I'd be more interested in how that would affect the following years seniors who might have gotten a chance to start but all of a sudden have the same competition for another year. That would suck to put in your time with a chance to start as a senior and then still be a backup in your final year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT