ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive depth chart

Good list. A couple of thoughts:

I think Sua will be a factor at DT and RVP can play both DT and DE.

I also think Charles may be ahead of both Bootle and Nation at CB.

Thompson will be a factor at LB.

Safety starters look good (if healthy), depth is a concern.

This is what I'm looking for. A guy like Sua makes five interior lineman in the rotation. Safety is a little thin and Hartzog is going to be a utility guy there. Forgot about Thompson, but he should be ready by fall camp.

Yup, no way Thompson isn't in the 2 deep.

DE - Ty, Jeudy
DT - Nash, RVP
DE - Butler/Cam, Williams
LB - Wright, Gbayor
LB - Bullock, Shavers
Jack - PWill/Sherman, Noonan
CB - Tommi, Bootle
CB - Blye Hill, Nation
S - Buford, Barnes
S - Singleton/Hartzog,
N - Gifford, Hartzog

I MIGHT switch Wright and Gbayor. I also think by seasons end barring injury Shavers will be playing as much as any LB on the team.

Not sure about Barnes either. Maybe one of the Frosh comes in and hits the two deep at safety.

Hope Charles is ahead of our at least makes two deep at CB.

Holla

Hopefully Bretz is ready to go playing safety/rover as well to provide depth. Having more than one guy on the DL that is very hard to move and some guys who can get to the QB should be a solid defense IMO.

I MIGHT switch Wright and Gbayor. I also think by seasons end barring injury Shavers will be playing as much as any LB on the team.

Not sure about Barnes either. Maybe one of the Frosh comes in and hits the two deep at safety.

Hope Charles is ahead of our at least makes two deep at CB.

Holla
At ILB, it looks like they have 5 with Shavers and they will all get a lot of reps. Between injuries and a serious health episode, Wright had to wait until year 5 to really play much, but I remember being excited about his raw athletic ability. And last year he always seemed to be around the play and had one of the best stat sheets on the defense.

At ILB, it looks like they have 5 with Shavers and they will all get a lot of reps. Between injuries and a serious health episode, Wright had to wait until year 5 to really play much, but I remember being excited about his raw athletic ability. And last year he always seemed to be around the play and had one of the best stat sheets on the defense.

Yeah very athletic and fast. I still kinda worry about him on run downs though. I think he's listed at like 6'5 215. That's kinda light in the ass and the height doesn't help with leverage much inside.

I know HCMR commented on him playing more like a true LB. I hope that's the case because like u said he's always around the ball. Could be Gbayor early and Wright pass downs maybe? Or maybe an even split. Good thing is both guys have shown they can play and the drop off is minimal regardless.

Holla

Somewhere around 24 scholly DBs? A bunch are freshman, but if they can’t make a 3 deep out of the top half of that group, then there’s reason to be concerned.

Of names not already mentioned:
Interested to see where guys like Gage Stenger, Vincent Carroll Jackson, Kai Wallin and Dylan Rogers can fit into the mix.

Yeah very athletic and fast. I still kinda worry about him on run downs though. I think he's listed at like 6'5 215. That's kinda light in the ass and the height doesn't help with leverage much inside.

I know HCMR commented on him playing more like a true LB. I hope that's the case because like u said he's always around the ball. Could be Gbayor early and Wright pass downs maybe? Or maybe an even split. Good thing is both guys have shown they can play and the drop off is minimal regardless.

Holla
So that is one of the good things with the 3-3-5 (or 3-5-3)...there is not a lot of traditional shedding.

Plus, Lavante David might have been 225 soaking wet while playing at NU...

I coached FB for 20 years...guys that can tackle...tackle. Period.

Good time to mention how much I love Tony White. He’s gotta prove he can string together another year, but he has the pieces.

Seeing our team tackling vastly improved was a good sign of maximizing whatever raw talent they have.
Our DL and pass rush success will really help out our DBs.

Holla
I think White will play as many ILBs as are ready. Fresh legs = more mob tackling. Having Buddha out there on third and pass is a real luxury, as I think he might be playing nickel if Gifford wasn’t on the team. It’s like playing with four safeties instead of two.

I like Wright. Though from what I saw, I thought he started the year strong but faded just a bit down the stretch.
We do have some guys coming in so hopefully whoever starts and plays a lot will be badass.

And that said, we need a couple more LBs in this 2025 class.. not just bodies but ballers

Good time to mention how much I love Tony White. He’s gotta prove he can string together another year, but he has the pieces.

Seeing our team tackling vastly improved was a good sign of maximizing whatever raw talent they have.
Our DL and pass rush success will really help out our DBs.
He'll string it together, and he will be a head coach next season.

Reactions: HominidHusker

Holla
I love how this defensive staff mixes and matches. Gbayor is absolutely an early down guy at this point. Will be interesting to see if they can develop him as an every down guy.

Reactions: kakdawg
DE - Ty, Jeudy
DT - Nash, RVP
DE - Butler/Cam, Williams
LB - Wright, Gbayor
LB - Bullock, Shavers
Jack - PWill/Sherman, Noonan
CB - Tommi, Bootle
CB - Blye Hill, Nation
S - Buford, Barnes
S - Singleton/Hartzog,
N - Gifford, Hartzog
What about Princewell?

Secondary is a concern to the staff I think also. They want their freshmen secondary in a couple weeks earlier than originally planned. That seems like they expect them to have to be a factor more than originally plainned imo.
Well, they have 22 like guys you would think finding good starters would not be a problem at this point. I think we will be pretty decent back there. The DL will help them not have to cover for a long time hopefully.

I coached FB for 20 years...guys that can tackle...tackle. Period.
I always said that a good linebacker has innate instincts to get to the ball through traffic, find the lane and explode into the ball carrier. You can only teach so much of it. Either they have it or they don’t.

I taught freshmen to tackle and it was so frustrating. Most were scared to death and every once in a while you got that fearless kid who just let it rip. Not many of them though.

Last edited:
Somewhere around 24 scholly DBs? A bunch are freshman, but if they can’t make a 3 deep out of the top half of that group, then there’s reason to be concerned.

Of names not already mentioned:
Interested to see where guys like Gage Stenger, Vincent Carroll Jackson, Kai Wallin and Dylan Rogers can fit into the mix.
I do believe the staff took several fliers on kids that are DBs.

JMO. Hopefully a few will pan out but I could see 5-8 DBs from the FR/rFR group gone in a couple years. I don’t have a problem with that either. Actually I’d be more worried about non contributors who stay

how deep can we go at DT?

lot of questions in the secondary.
Is it OK if I question our D to this point? I too have questions about our back end LB's and secondary. The fact we are moving Hartzog around from corner to safety and now possibly back and going to the portal tells us something. At best I would say we are unsettled in the secondary. Hartzog, for me, was a bit disappointing last year, bit on the double moves and was late to the party at times. Lost a lot of production at the LB position and replacing with guys who have been around but don't have much for stats to show. We have a solid front until they get worn down from good doubles.

Is it OK if I question our D to this point? I too have questions about our back end LB's and secondary. The fact we are moving Hartzog around from corner to safety and now possibly back and going to the portal tells us something. At best I would say we are unsettled in the secondary. Hartzog, for me, was a bit disappointing last year, bit on the double moves and was late to the party at times. Lost a lot of production at the LB position and replacing with guys who have been around but don't have much for stats to show. We have a solid front until they get worn down from good doubles.
okay with me. I agree with everything you posted here (easy since it's fact).

good news is only ~25% of our opponents look to possess anything close to a dynamic quarterback (thanks, B1G!), so hopefully we'll be able to capitalize with scheme and a few breakouts.

I do think the coach is good and thus willing to make personnel and scheme adjustments as needed.

okay with me. I agree with everything you posted here (easy since it's fact).

good news is only ~25% of our opponents look to possess anything close to a dynamic quarterback (thanks, B1G!), so hopefully we'll be able to capitalize with scheme and a few breakouts.

I do think the coach is good and thus willing to make personnel and scheme adjustments as needed.
I don't think our DL was wore down a lot last year. We have more depth at the DL than we have had in a long time. Hopefully they can help the secondary.

I can understand your concern but here are my reasons for optimism:

1. I can't remember a team in the last 20+ years where so many guys were ready to play at a high level. A true next man up system.

2. Another year in the system.

3. DL is big, deep, and experienced.

4. Should be very stout against the run. Teams that stop the run usually put teams in 3rd and long. I believe the majority of our sack production returns. Sets up nice to get major pressure.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I can understand your concern but here are my reasons for optimism:

1. I can't remember a team in the last 20+ years where so many guys were ready to play at a high level. A true next man up system.

2. Another year in the system.

3. DL is big, deep, and experienced.

4. Should be very stout against the run. Teams that stop the run usually put teams in 3rd and long. I believe the majority of our sack production returns. Sets up nice to get major pressure.
1. This one could be up for debate. Not certain we “so many guys ready to play” at a high level. There has to be some questions at LB and DB. Counting on one coming back from surgery, moving others around and going to the portal leave questions for me. Would you say our LB starters project to be better, the same or worse than last year? Data?

2. Certainly this will help. All goes back to the jimmies and the joes though. White can’t call what players can’t execute.

3. Agree with you there. Building depth will be key and next year at this time, that will be the talked about position.

4. No doubt the DL more than holds their own in the passing game. How will LBs and overall inexperienced CBs hold up? CBs have not been a strength this far under White. Hopefully help is on the way but when does it show up?

It looks like a defense built to stop the run. I think the biggest question mark will be how we handle teams that can air it out, like OSU and CU.

Ty and Nash are big run stuffers, but can they get to the QB?

Gifford and Singleton are thumpers, but can they cover WR’s like those teams will have?

Are we good enough and deep enough at CB?

Last edited:
Butler was disruptive last year and I expect to see more of the same (8.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks). Princewell will only get better and Lenhardt is tough as well. Hutmacher was a force and was in the backfield a lot for his size, Gifford the same from the safety spot. Losing Reimer we are a thin at true LBs. Wright makes plays though and we added Thompson. Shavers was a good addition and we need to continue recruit better here. Whiffed on Fields and Borders.

In regard to the secondary I was watching back and losing Singleton mattered. With him back and Buford fully healthy that helps a lot. Gifford, Hartzog and T Hill have played a lot of football.

Holla

I do believe the staff took several fliers on kids that are DBs.

JMO. Hopefully a few will pan out but I could see 5-8 DBs from the FR/rFR group gone in a couple years. I don’t have a problem with that either. Actually I’d be more worried about non contributors who stay
Yeah, the new era is bring in more guys and let them try out for roster spots- it’s somewhat of a best case scenario for us. Less risk than ever taking chances on guys.

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
It looks like a defense built to stop the run. I think the biggest question mark will be how we handle teams that can air it out, like OSU and CU.

Gifford and Singleton are thumpers, but can they cover WR’s like those teams will have?

🧐

I don't think our DL was wore down a lot last year. We have more depth at the DL than we have had in a long time. Hopefully they can help the secondary.
weakest part of our defense at the moment. they have to get better in order to rank in the top half of the current big 10. size and hype dosen't translate to getting off the field at critical times in games. pass rush vs waltzing on 3rd or 4th and long? when we get a legit pass rush without blitzing we'll have something.

This is a great post. I agree with all of it.

Majority of our schedule fit the run-first mold (or at least the no QB/no weapons mold) fortunately.

One breakout pass rusher would help solve these questions immensely.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT