ADVERTISEMENT

Dead last in the dead period

Which is the best excuse for Nebraska having the worst recruiting class in the Big 10 at the moment?

• 1. It is still early

Votes: 30 13.2%
  • 2. We are being selective

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • 3. We are signing a small class

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • 4. It is better to have low-rated players

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • 5. None of the above

Votes: 93 40.8%

• Total voters
O’Brien went through the spring with Frost as well before transferring.
And we got to see O'Brien in some live game action as well as his last spring game. He couldn't throw it in the ocean. He was behind 2 walk ons on the depth chart when he left. Maybe he finds something as a 6th year senior game manager, but he was never going to work at NU. Andrew Bunch, Matt Masker and Noah Vedral were all better than O'Brien.

Reactions: scarletred
Didn't the NCAA put the same restrictions on every school? Well, expect for Arizona State, they could host recruits.
Nebraska has a little different scenario where we're not recruiting from a winning season and we don't have the talent pool in our "natural market". It is also true that we were playing some very young O linemen, RBs and WRs who really needed spring ball which they didn't get. No warm up games for them either. Call them excuses or call them reasons. I think logically if you're going to evaluate something you need to take some of the emotion out of the deal and move forward.

This next season IMO will be a MUCH better gauge on where we're at especially given that we have one of the toughest schedules in the country. IF Frost can win 8 with this schedule coming up, we've got our guy for the next 20 years.

Nebraska has a little different scenario where we're not recruiting from a winning season and we don't have the talent pool in our "natural market". It is also true that we were playing some very young O linemen, RBs and WRs who really needed spring ball which they didn't get. No warm up games for them either. Call them excuses or call them reasons. I think logically if you're going to evaluate something you need to take some of the emotion out of the deal and move forward.

This next season IMO will be a MUCH better gauge on where we're at especially given that we have one of the toughest schedules in the country. IF Frost can win 8 with this schedule coming up, we've got our guy for the next 20 years.
Again, you are missing the point of the retort.

There weren't different barriers for Nebraska than other schools when it came to recruiting according to NCAA guidelines. Quit using that as an excuse or reason of whatever you want to call it.

In this day and age of recruiting, hardly any schools aside from Texas and Florida schools tend to stay exclusively in their state. tOSU and Michigan go all over the country as well. We have always been at a disadvantage in that regard.

But then one could argue with why we spent so much time earlier in Florida, Georgia and Alabama when maybe we should be building some bridges in St. Louis, Chicago and our immediate area like we seem to be doing now.

As to the "young" moniker I keep hearing, I understand it but really, in three years, now going on four, that has to change at the coaching level. Are we not developing talent and what about portal? Don't keep throwing out the "young" card because I am going to play the "development" card over it after the game has gone this long.

most of those programs still aren't very good. and wisconsin is not as good as they used to be.
the B10 west is all mediocrity other than the intermittent years when wisconsin has a complete team.
when you throw below .500 programs like rutgers and nebraska into the league it just gives mediocre teams a couple teams they might actually beat a chance for another win or two. it doesn't mean programs are getting better. it just means there is MORE mediocrity.
Indiana is better but michigan is much worse.
Disagree on the Michigan front. They have had a slight downtick the last couple years but they were a legit dumpster fire for a few years before HB.

Reactions: TheBeav815
And we got to see O'Brien in some live game action as well as his last spring game. He couldn't throw it in the ocean. He was behind 2 walk ons on the depth chart when he left. Maybe he finds something as a 6th year senior game manager, but he was never going to work at NU. Andrew Bunch, Matt Masker and Noah Vedral were all better than O'Brien.
THIS year Riley leaving a crappy roster is not a good answer anymore. If Frost doesn't get to 7 wins or more, then we really have to asks some tough questions. As I'm sure anybody would admit, IF AMart goes down for the year with an injury 7 all bets are off. Gebbia leaving and recruiting Luke put us behind the curve. I think we have a better roster now everywhere except QB. Riley left us Gebbia and that was it at QB. Frost probably should have taken 2 QBs that next year. Taking one that he knew could complete a forward pass would have been a good idea.
I was referring to this line. That line is inaccurate

O'Brien was zero so that line is accurate. Riley did not leave us a credible backup to Gebbia. Again, O'Brien was behind 2 walkons on the depth chart after spring football.
He's right, and I saw Gebbia, up close, in street clothes at the CWS. He was a smallish, tad under 6 foot tall, and about 180. Not an impressive build at all. Riley left the cupboard bare.

Again, you are missing the point of the retort.

There weren't different barriers for Nebraska than other schools when it came to recruiting according to NCAA guidelines. Quit using that as an excuse or reason of whatever you want to call it.

In this day and age of recruiting, hardly any schools aside from Texas and Florida schools tend to stay exclusively in their state. tOSU and Michigan go all over the country as well. We have always been at a disadvantage in that regard.

But then one could argue with why we spent so much time earlier in Florida, Georgia and Alabama when maybe we should be building some bridges in St. Louis, Chicago and our immediate area like we seem to be doing now.

As to the "young" moniker I keep hearing, I understand it but really, in three years, now going on four, that has to change at the coaching level. Are we not developing talent and what about portal? Don't keep throwing out the "young" card because I am going to play the "development" card over it after the game has gone this long.
Good heavens. Look at the population base Michigan and Ohio have and how many 500 mile radius kids are on their teams. Yes they recruit nationally but they haven't had the string of losing seasons that NU has had to overcome on the recruiting front this year. Nebraska's number one recruiting tool is game day since we don't have recent success to sell.

I think Michigan may finally have a QB this year and if they do, they'll be improved. QB, QB, QB. That's where it starts and ends for both Michigan and Nebraska this year IMO.

O'Brien was zero so that line is accurate. Riley did not leave us a credible backup to Gebbia. Again, O'Brien was behind 2 walkons on the depth chart after spring football.
That isn’t what you wrote, you wrote Riley left nothing but Gebbia. Simply inaccurate, Riley wasn’t recruiting for Frost’s offense. The fact that OBrien wasn’t a fit and was passed over by others isn’t relevant.
There were three, technically 4 scholarship QBs on the roster for Frosts first spring

Reactions: TheBeav815
Good heavens. Look at the population base Michigan and Ohio have and how many 500 mile radius kids are on their teams. Yes they recruit nationally but they haven't had the string of losing seasons that NU has had to overcome on the recruiting front this year. Nebraska's number one recruiting tool is game day since we don't have recent success to sell.

I think Michigan may finally have a QB this year and if they do, they'll be improved. QB, QB, QB. That's where it starts and ends for both Michigan and Nebraska this year IMO.
You had to preface it all with the "losing seasons" which is so simplistic. Since you think winning will solve some problems, just what does that record look like to get recruits to suddenly start looking at Nebraska? Just being in a populated area doesn't guarantee squat. How many of the top five HS players in Nebraska are staying in State? I haven't experienced game day at every stadium but I can't imagine there is a huge difference between ours and the top schools we should be competing against.

Frost needs to develop and use the talent and resources he has. He has been given more than any coach before him and here we are heading into year four with predictions of another losing season. Get this thing turned around and get some players some national exposure even some B1G teams would be nice aside from a kicker we poached from someone else and didn't develop.

That isn’t what you wrote, you wrote Riley left nothing but Gebbia. Simply inaccurate, Riley wasn’t recruiting for Frost’s offense. The fact that OBrien wasn’t a fit and was passed over by others isn’t relevant.
There were three, technically 4 scholarship QBs on the roster for Frosts first spring
O'Brien isn't a fit for any offense. He's not a P5 level QB. The only P5 capable QB on the roster was Gebbia. Period. Riley failed. Frost failed in recruiting Luke to play QB. We'll see about Smothers and Haarberg.

Recruiting analyst was on 1620 a few weeks back and stated he would not be surprised if Nebraska doesn’t a sign a 4 star in this class.

Not sure if true…but the writing is already on the wall and the shine is off. We are continuing to reach on the recruiting trail(probably because they have to) and that’s a scary thought considering this staff has already proven how lackluster they are on Saturdays. They need all the talent they can’t get.
In Before the Maybe Frank Can fix this Crowd?

You had to preface it all with the "losing seasons" which is so simplistic. Since you think winning will solve some problems, just what does that record look like to get recruits to suddenly start looking at Nebraska? Just being in a populated area doesn't guarantee squat. How many of the top five HS players in Nebraska are staying in State? I haven't experienced game day at every stadium but I can't imagine there is a huge difference between ours and the top schools we should be competing against.

Frost needs to develop and use the talent and resources he has. He has been given more than any coach before him and here we are heading into year four with predictions of another losing season. Get this thing turned around and get some players some national exposure even some B1G teams would be nice aside from a kicker we poached from someone else and didn't develop.
I don't disagree with any of that. I've posted before that I think he really needs to get to 7 and preferably 8 wins if he wants to build any momentum in recruiting. The excitement and honeymoon is over. He needs to win now. I'm not saying he would get fired if he only gets to 6 wins but it would make recruiting more difficult. The only reason I could see to not get to 7 would be injuries at QB. That would potentially be a killer.

66th now! What happened to all the talk about never finishing out of top 15 again. Even Riley Never finished dead Last!
Iowa is dead last and they just whiffed on another kid they thought for sure was going to announce for them. You guys at least take responsibility for your issues. They blame everyone else. Huskers will pick up steam but the birds to the East may be circling the drain.

The problem today is that if you hit the jackpot and a 3 star really comes through and has a banner year, they can easily transfer to a better program through the portal. The transfer portal will make it very, very difficult to get out of a rut. One way out is if a bunch of 3's really come together and do something special as a team, but those seasons are fewer and further between. I think that Scott Frost is a great guy, but I also do not believe that he will get it turned around anytime soon.

The problem today is that if you hit the jackpot and a 3 star really comes through and has a banner year, they can easily transfer to a better program through the portal. The transfer portal will make it very, very difficult to get out of a rut. One way out is if a bunch of 3's really come together and do something special as a team, but those seasons are fewer and further between. I think that Scott Frost is a great guy, but I also do not believe that he will get it turned around anytime soon.
That is what you have in Ames. Those 3 stars should have a decent year. Everyone just has to be on the same page to be successful

I am only mildly worried about our recruiting. We do seem to be lagging behind the rest of the B1G and what is worrisome is that this might be, finally, evidence that all of our losing seasons have put the last dagger to the heart to the Nebraska "brand," which was already on life support. But if we have a solid season this year and look like a disciplined football team on the upswing then we will finish strong in recruiting and probably pick up a few four star type guys in what looks like a small class. I will be more than happy with our recruiting, no matter the ranking, if we recruit guys who are going to stick around and buy into the whole program. Because some of Frost's higher rated classes ended up with quite a few transfers from some of the marquee guys who boosted our ranking. So I can live with a lower ranking but with less attrition.

I am only mildly worried about our recruiting. We do seem to be lagging behind the rest of the B1G and what is worrisome is that this might be, finally, evidence that all of our losing seasons have put the last dagger to the heart to the Nebraska "brand," which was already on life support. But if we have a solid season this year and look like a disciplined football team on the upswing then we will finish strong in recruiting and probably pick up a few four star type guys in what looks like a small class. I will be more than happy with our recruiting, no matter the ranking, if we recruit guys who are going to stick around and buy into the whole program. Because some of Frost's higher rated classes ended up with quite a few transfers from some of the marquee guys who boosted our ranking. So I can live with a lower ranking but with less attrition.
completely agree with this.

sure, on signing day we've had top 20 classes. but fast forward 8 months and those classes are more like top 60 when the guys at the top are no longer with the program.

completely agree with this.

sure, on signing day we've had top 20 classes. but fast forward 8 months and those classes are more like top 60 when the guys at the top are no longer with the program.
I guess I would probably try and figure out a way to keep the top players than not have them at all. At this point we don’t even have the top guys to lose.

I guess I would probably try and figure out a way to keep the top players than not have them at all. At this point we don’t even have the top guys to lose.
fair point, but some would argue we didn't have the top guys we lost, either.

at least we seem to be working with cleaner data this time around.

Disagree. Unless your team is falling apart, a productive player will stick around for his teammates and coaches, and the life he has on campus. Starting over sucks. It's Jimmy Fourstar, hanging around the 3rd team that jumps ship after 2 years. The NFL will find every player worth finding. Moving from ISU to Alabama would more likely hurt you than help you. The portal is 99% fools gold.

Reactions: timnsun
Yes that is the goal, obviously. And a lot of different factors go into why guys transfer out. But we have had a run of bad luck with keeping some of our top shelf guys around. Perhaps that is the norm these days given how easy the portal has gotten.

Pennsy, you worried me with this post! :) Whatever "mildly worried" is, we are at #61 just behind of UConn and Central Michigan. I don't "worry" abut such things I have no control over but the fact we don't even seem to be able to attract in-state talent - THAT would be time to worry, just a little don't you think? And this has been going on for close to two years now - that is worrisome.

And yes, we "seem to be lagging behind" by a significant margin although we sit one spot over our rivals to the east. Oh wait, maybe I can't call them rivals.

I am not a math major but if we have 16 spots and 8 are taken, it would take a lot of highly ranked players to make that up. It also does not look good when we use the words "selective" and "small class" and then follow that with 3* athletes across the board. It would seem that if we are OK with getting quality 3* athletes, this class would normally be full.

And you provide some hope for a "solid season" but there is always that qualifier of "if". It seems that we hear this over and over - IF we get these guys, IF they stay, IF they develop, IF they play together, IF our young guys come along, IF the WR's finally show something, IF the RB room is finally fixed, IF the coaching staff gets things figured out, IF the special teams gets fixed and they go on and on.

I read your post several times and had to come on and give you grief about your choice of words. Take care man, how is the sheep business these days?

Last edited:
I know it's still early but seeing Ohio State and Penn State have more 4 star commits (12 and 11 respectively) than Nebraska does total commits doesn't exactly inspire hope for future seasons. Rutgers has seven 4 star commits compared with Nebraska's 8 total commits and zero 4 star commits. Considering Nebraska's lack of player development for the last half decade, it does not inspire much confidence.

Reactions: brc2 and artguy68
Pennsy, you worried me with this post! :) Whatever "mildly worried" is, we are at #61 just behind of UConn and Central Michigan. I don't "worry" abut such things I have no control over but the fact we don't even seem to be able to attract in-state talent - THAT would be time to worry, just a little don't you think? And this has been going on for close to two years now - that is worrisome.

And yes, we "seem to be lagging behind" by a significant margin although we sit one spot over our rivals to the east. Oh wait, maybe I can't call them rivals.

I am not a math major but if we have 16 spots and 8 are taken, it would take a lot of highly ranked players to make that up. It also does not look good when we use the words "selective" and "small class" and then follow that with 3* athletes across the board. It would seem that if we are OK with getting quality 3* athletes, this class would normally be full.

And you provide some hope for a "solid season" but there is always that qualifier of "if". It seems that we hear this over and over - IF we get these guys, IF they stay, IF they develop, IF they play together, IF our young guys come along, IF the WR's finally show something, IF the RB room is finally fixed, IF the coaching staff gets things figured out, IF the special teams gets fixed and they go on and on.

I read your post several times and had to come on and give you grief about your choice of words. Take care man, how is the sheep business these days?
The sheep business is great. Living the dream…
There is reason for pessimism as you noted. But I do think if we have a good season that we will pick up some good talent with our remaining slots. It still won‘t be a great class though which is why I am at least mildly worried. But winning changes everything. This is a most critical season for Husker football. Perhaps the most critical since Osborne retired. If Frost flops again Trev is going to have a mess on his hands.

The sheep business is great. Living the dream…
There is reason for pessimism as you noted. But I do think if we have a good season that we will pick up some good talent with our remaining slots. It still won‘t be a great class though which is why I am at least mildly worried. But winning changes everything. This is a most critical season for Husker football. Perhaps the most critical since Osborne retired. If Frost flops again Trev is going to have a mess on his hands.
Good to hear your enjoying your sheep business at your age.Winking

I’m a little surprised we only have 8 commits regardless that this class will be small in numbers..

I’m wondering if they are showing the recruits coming here any virtual material on what the new facility will look like from the inside when completed.. We’ve seen what it would look like from the outside but not much inside..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Good to hear your enjoying your sheep business at your age.Winking

I’m a little surprised we only have 8 commits regardless that this class will be small in numbers..

I’m wondering if they are showing the recruits coming here any virtual material on what the new facility will look like from the inside when completed.. We’ve seen what it would look like from the outside but not much inside..
They almost certainly are. Every program has a way to make things sparkle. Then you get down to the nitty gritty of winning games and getting them ready for the league. I am convinced you could have a program in the slums but If you put guys in the NFL, they will come.

Last edited:
I know it's still early but seeing Ohio State and Penn State have more 4 star commits (12 and 11 respectively) than Nebraska does total commits doesn't exactly inspire hope for future seasons. Rutgers has seven 4 star commits compared with Nebraska's 8 total commits and zero 4 star commits. Considering Nebraska's lack of player development for the last half decade, it does not inspire much confidence.

How is rutgers even doin this

What's the story with Markeith Williams? Is he a take for OSU? OSU fans saying they have room for one more safety type, and they're still on/near the top for Xavier Nwankpa, Zion Branch and Markeith Williams.

I think Nebraska should just give up recruiting. Even with all the NIL, social media, new buildings, etc. it is a waste of time with our small population. I have no clue how we ever managed to win 5 NC's, 3 in the 90's with such a handicap.

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT