ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Cases & College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be worse? Going to a football game and having people freely being able to breath in your vicinity or having a bunch of people with a contaminated bandana?

Read the study. It found that medical masks are better than cloth masks. Of course the control group also wore masks so the control group is invalid as a comparison to cloth masks. If medical personnel are wearing cloth masks in a high risk ward in a 1st world country then somebody better be going to prison. This study took place in Vietnam and there isn't evidence that American medical personnel have had to wear cloth. This does back up the reality, as what we see in Israel, that our schools are going to be an absolute disaster, even in regions that mandate mask wearing in schools. It is probably better than not wearing a mask, will decrease severity of illness, and might cut attack rates dramatically in low contact environments. Schools are worse than football stadiums for sustained high risk contact, especially high schools where the inhabitants all have matured ACE2 receptors in the upper respiratory tract. I say if we force kids to go to schools we need to force fans to pay and attend husker football games since that boosts the local economies as much as schooling.

Read the study. It found that medical masks are better than cloth masks. Of course the control group also wore masks so the control group is invalid as a comparison to cloth masks. If medical personnel are wearing cloth masks in a high risk ward in a 1st world country then somebody better be going to prison. This study took place in Vietnam and there isn't evidence that American medical personnel have had to wear cloth. This does back up the reality, as what we see in Israel, that our schools are going to be an absolute disaster, even in regions that mandate mask wearing in schools. It is probably better than not wearing a mask, will decrease severity of illness, and might cut attack rates dramatically in low contact environments. Schools are worse than football stadiums for sustained high risk contact, especially high schools where the inhabitants all have matured ACE2 receptors in the upper respiratory tract. I say if we force kids to go to schools we need to force fans to pay and attend husker football games since that boosts the local economies as much as schooling.

Who is talking about forcing anyone to do anything of the sort? This kind of hyperbole is why nobody can have discussions on the topic.

Holy crap. Up to this point the only people that were subject to someone trying to force your kids to do something were the parents that homeschool or send their kids to charter schools.

Who is talking about forcing anyone to do anything of the sort? This kind of hyperbole is why nobody can have discussions on the topic.
Students in school are prioritized, those who stay home are not due to lack of time and resources. Students are being strongly encouraged to attend, and those that can't are going to have graduation timelines, gpas, and college entrance severely affected. Remote learning could only work if a teacher gave full attention to it, but they are going to be running classrooms of 25+ kids, in an enclosed space, while also having to attend to students attending online at the same time. Meanwhile, if a teacher gets sick, they are likely to miss 17+ days due to the extremely long testing time and required 10 days of quarantine. And there aren't subs.

The issue isn't school or not school, the issue is that safety has not been prioritized because it is expensive. Spending bills that could have been passed in June to provide safety equipment to schools are still sitting idle, and instead of addressing a safety issue head on it has manipulated into a polarizing struggle school or no school. Why couldn't students get medical quality masks? Why can't they get plastic barriers like they have in southeast asia? Why can't schools get more than 1 thermometer per thousand kids for temperature checks. What about hazard pay for subs so a there can be a replacement when thousands of teachers are sick? We live in a nation that prints money by principle for every mortgage, to provide liquidity to back up the market, and for every business loan...yet when it comes to safety for soldiers, teachers, or even students we say it is "too expensive".

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Students in school are prioritized, those who stay home are not due to lack of time and resources. Students are being strongly encouraged to attend, and those that can't are going to have graduation timelines, gpas, and college entrance severely affected. Remote learning could only work if a teacher gave full attention to it, but they are going to be running classrooms of 25+ kids, in an enclosed space, while also having to attend to students attending online at the same time. Meanwhile, if a teacher gets sick, they are likely to miss 17+ days due to the extremely long testing time and required 10 days of quarantine. And there aren't subs.

The issue isn't school or not school, the issue is that safety has not been prioritized because it is expensive. Spending bills that could have been passed in June to provide safety equipment to schools are still sitting idle, and instead of addressing a safety issue head on it has manipulated into a polarizing struggle school or no school. Why couldn't students get medical quality masks? Why can't they get plastic barriers like they have in southeast asia? Why can't schools get more than 1 thermometer per thousand kids for temperature checks. What about hazard pay for subs so a there can be a replacement when thousands of teachers are sick? We live in a nation that prints money by principle for every mortgage, to provide liquidity to back up the market, and for every business loan...yet when it comes to safety for soldiers, teachers, or even students we say it is "too expensive".

You said a heck of a lot without telling me who is forcing kids back to school.

This does back up the reality, as what we see in Israel, that our schools are going to be an absolute disaster, even in regions that mandate mask wearing in schools. It is probably better than not wearing a mask, will decrease severity of illness, and might cut attack rates dramatically in low contact environments. Schools are worse than football stadiums for sustained high risk contact, especially high schools where the inhabitants all have matured ACE2 receptors in the upper respiratory tract. I say if we force kids to go to schools we need to force fans to pay and attend husker football games since that boosts the local economies as much as schooling.

This is beyond silly. You really performed some mental gymnastics to even type this out.

The study shows that cloth masks make people sicker. Most people wear cloth masks.

Schools elsewhere are open with no issues.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...s-don-e2-80-99t-spread-virus-much/ar-BB16UYfR

Schools must reopen. Children must attend. Teachers must teach. No matter what mental gymnastics you try.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
well that study doesn't answer your question or provide any evidence for what you want to try and prove. wearing masks inside a hospital around sick people is different than wearing masks in social settings outside the hospital. Completely different environments. You keep bringing trash data to try to prove a point that can't be proved. What this study should tell you is that if you work in a hospital its better to use a medical mask. it doesn't tell you anything else. but nice try. this is why you should follow doctors guidelines because normal people dont know anything about how to interpret clinical trials. stay out of science bro

Like this doctor? I'll wait for your opinion to be backed by scientific data. Until then take your hissyfit elsewhere.

Wearing a mask to the stadium likely won't do anything but virtue signal to others about how you just care about others soooo much.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01658736

mask-study.jpg

What do wound infections have to do with wearing masks? Especially a study from 1991 that had nothing to do with viruses?

The propagandists say masks stop the spread and protect others. This shows the masks have no statistical change in containing spread from the wearer and possibly somehow do more harm than good.

If you get really wild you'll probably start asking why we use something for wound infection and think it makes sense to apply to the general public or how people with bandanas are doing anything at all. Idk if you're there yet.

This is beyond silly. You really performed some mental gymnastics to even type this out.

The study shows that cloth masks make people sicker. Most people wear cloth masks.

Schools elsewhere are open with no issues.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...s-don-e2-80-99t-spread-virus-much/ar-BB16UYfR

Schools must reopen. Children must attend. Teachers must teach. No matter what mental gymnastics you try.
Israel might beg to differ.

There's also a recent study out of South Korea that indicates that kids in the 10-18 age group spread the virus like adults. I highly doubt the study has the political atmosphere of the US in mind.

Last edited:
You said a heck of a lot without telling me who is forcing kids back to school.
Betsy and Donald would if they could. Of course, the youngest son of the latter attends a school that will not be fully open....

The governor of the state in which I teach issued an executive order delaying the opening of schools until the Tuesday after Labor Day....mainly to give it time for cases to come down, and allow schools to prepare, acquire supplies, etc. The state BOE had to approve the order, which, of course, they didn't (vote was 5-5). Of course, these 10 people couldn't mask up and meet in a room bigger than most classrooms to cast their votes in person; they voted by Zoom.

Some say it is to invoke local control....which seems to fly in the face of reason of having a state board of education, but whatever.

Betsy and Donald would if they could. Of course, the youngest son of the latter attends a school that will not be fully open....

The governor of the state in which I teach issued an executive order delaying the opening of schools until the Tuesday after Labor Day....mainly to give it time for cases to come down, and allow schools to prepare, acquire supplies, etc. The state BOE had to approve the order, which, of course, they didn't (vote was 5-5). Of course, these 10 people couldn't mask up and meet in a room bigger than most classrooms to cast their votes in person; they voted by Zoom.

Some say it is to invoke local control....which seems to fly in the face of reason of having a state board of education, but whatever.

Oh, so they WOULD but they aren't. Kind of goes against the narrative that anybody is forcing schools to open.

Oh, so they WOULD but they aren't. Kind of goes against the narrative that anybody is forcing schools to open.
As I was often reminded during the last administration...what someone would do matters just as much as what they actually do. Does that no longer fit?

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeat...exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

Is this guy any good? Is he credible?

HARVEY A. RISCH, MD, PHD , PROFESSOR OF EPIDEMIOLOGY, YALE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
“As professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health, I have authored over 300 peer-reviewed publications and currently hold senior positions on the editorial boards of several leading journals. I am usually accustomed to advocating for positions within the mainstream of medicine, so have been flummoxed to find that, in the midst of a crisis, I am fighting for a treatment that the data fully support but which, for reasons having nothing to do with a correct understanding of the science, has been pushed to the sidelines. As a result, tens of thousands of patients with COVID-19 are dying unnecessarily. Fortunately, the situation can be reversed easily and quickly.”

Sorry if this article has already been discussed. It’s hard to keep up with everything on this Board. Let’s play some football this fall!

https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeat...exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

HARVEY A. RISCH, MD, PHD , PROFESSOR OF EPIDEMIOLOGY, YALE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
“As professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health, I have authored over 300 peer-reviewed publications and currently hold senior positions on the editorial boards of several leading journals. I am usually accustomed to advocating for positions within the mainstream of medicine, so have been flummoxed to find that, in the midst of a crisis, I am fighting for a treatment that the data fully support but which, for reasons having nothing to do with a correct understanding of the science, has been pushed to the sidelines. As a result, tens of thousands of patients with COVID-19 are dying unnecessarily. Fortunately, the situation can be reversed easily and quickly.”

Sorry if this article has already been discussed. It’s hard to keep up with everything on this Board. Let’s play some football this fall!

There's no money to be made with that treatment schedule.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
I don't think you would have to "force" many kids to go to school. Let the kids go who want to go and the rest can get ready for a life of mopping floors at McDonalds. Pretty simple really. From what I'm seeing, there's absolutely zero social distancing going on of kids in my area anyway. They know their odds of getting sick from this are extremely low. I worry more about the teachers than anything but yet we send people to work every day at clinics and hospitals. Somehow though of the over one thousand medical employees we have in my area, not a single one has become ill with COVID.:confused: Granted, in our wide open minimal mask community, the infection rate is very low for some reason. It would seem that we could figure out a way to protect our teachers IF we really wanted to.

I don't think you would have to "force" many kids to go to school. Let the kids go who want to go and the rest can get ready for a life of mopping floors at McDonalds. Pretty simple really. From what I'm seeing, there's absolutely zero social distancing going on of kids in my area anyway. They know their odds of getting sick from this are extremely low. I worry more about the teachers than anything but yet we send people to work every day at clinics and hospitals. Somehow though of the over one thousand medical employees we have in my area, not a single one has become ill with COVID.:confused: Granted, in our wide open minimal mask community, the infection rate is very low for some reason. It would seem that we could figure out a way to protect our teachers IF we really wanted to.

Yep, the other irony is, if schools close it has been proposed to use the school buildings as daycares for parents to be able to work.... So we can't use the schools to learn, but yet the kids can go there to chill why their parents work...... WTF?

Reactions: dinglefritz

I have been very skeptical of the studies on this drug but there seems to be mounting emperical evidence that it does in fact work for pre-exposure prophylaxis. There have been studies that dispute efficacy post-infection. Unfortunately I learned a long time ago to question the motivation of researchers. I've seen way too many instances of corporate funded research finding what they wanted to find in order to promote a new drug or vaccine. As of right now the consensus seems to be that it is ineffective as a post infection treatment and any Dr. who suggests otherwise is getting blocked from Twitter and Facebook.

Hey, there’s a lot to be said for mopping floors at McDonalds, just ask Rick Chick or any other Iowa fan. ;)

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Yep, the other irony is, if schools close it has been proposed to use the school buildings as daycares for parents to be able to work.... So we can't use the schools to learn, but yet the kids can go there to chill why their parents work...... WTF?
F that if they keep the schools closed the teacher’s salaries should be cut by 2/3 no extra benefits because their staying home. Then lower the real estate taxes because of no busses or sports,band, shop. You do that and they’ll be ready to go back to work. I find it interesting the wealthy athletes are deciding to not play because of health reasons but they expect the meat packer who make 15 buck an hour to keep at it so people don’t go hungry.

I'm just going to throw this out there:

HCQ does work. Not because it directly fights the virus but because it increases the PH in the body. Not surprising at all that they are finding out that antacids also have a prophylactic effect. Its the same reason why people that have healthy diets and lifestyles get sick less often than ones with poor diets. Diseases of many kinds don't thrive in bodies that have a PH of between 7 and 7.4, which has been common knowledge for decades. Americans in general have terrible diets and lifestyles and we don't expel enough CO2 from our bodies because we are fat and lazy. Simple things like breathing exercises and brisk walking for 20 minutes a day protect you from getting a multitude of diseases including cancer. Why are people in rest homes getting hit by this so hard?: because they have to lay around all day and develop shallow breathing. Same thing goes for the obese.

so the whole medical community in this country doesn't know what they're doing? if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. do u really think american doctors are letting tens of thousands of people die? thats absurd. establishing the efficacy of a medicine is a very complex thing. i'm not sure hydroxy has been studied in every possible situation. but its apparent in the situations it has been studied that it has not been very impressive. that does not mean it couldn't be effective in an entirely different situation.

Reactions: regionsdoc
LOL
the only way to protect them is to surround them with kids who do not have covid. i think masks will help but not eliminate
thats why many districts are trying to wait as long as possible to get community levels as low as possible

F that if they keep the schools closed the teacher’s salaries should be cut by 2/3 no extra benefits because their staying home. Then lower the real estate taxes because of no busses or sports,band, shop. You do that and they’ll be ready to go back to work. I find it interesting the wealthy athletes are deciding to not play because of health reasons but they expect the meat packer who make 15 buck an hour to keep at it so people don’t go hungry.
who is they? the president expects meat packers to work. many of us wouldn't care

so the whole medical community in this country doesn't know what they're doing? if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. do u really think american doctors are letting tens of thousands of people die? thats absurd. establishing the efficacy of a medicine is a very complex thing. i'm not sure hydroxy has been studied in every possible situation. but its apparent in the situations it has been studied that it has not been very impressive. that does not mean it couldn't be effective in an entirely different situation.

You’d have to ask the doctor that question. I found the article and thought he had good credentials. There are quite a few docs that have been using and recommending the treatment so it’s far from the “whole medical community”. I’m quite certain this guy knows more than most people that post on this board.

Reactions: leodisflowers

HCQ does work. Not because it directly fights the virus but because it increases the PH in the body. Not surprising at all that they are finding out that antacids also have a prophylactic effect. Its the same reason why people that have healthy diets and lifestyles get sick less often than ones with poor diets. Diseases of many kinds don't thrive in bodies that have a PH of between 7 and 7.4, which has been common knowledge for decades. Americans in general have terrible diets and lifestyles and we don't expel enough CO2 from our bodies because we are fat and lazy. Simple things like breathing exercises and brisk walking for 20 minutes a day protect you from getting a multitude of diseases including cancer. Why are people in rest homes getting hit by this so hard?: because they have to lay around all day and develop shallow breathing. Same thing goes for the obese.
you dont sound educated on this topic. you dont conclude a therapy is effective because it increases PH. lots of things can increase PH. but you dont give them to covid patients. in order for a therapy to be shown to be effective it needs to have shown a reduction in symptoms; disease length; hospitalizations or deaths. If hydroxy reduced these things in multiple prospective randomized double blinded clinical trials then it would be approved for such use. It hasn't so it isn't.
anything else is mediocre science

You’d have to ask the doctor that question. I found the article and thought he had good credentials. There are quite a few docs that have been using and recommending the treatment so it’s far from the “whole medical community”. I’m quite certain this guy knows more than most people that post on this board.
well i wouldn't disagree with you on a couple of those points. my feeling and its not backed up with being in actual exam rooms or ERs is that some physicians are using it because they have virtually nothing else to try. if a patient is really sick and not responding then consider all options. but that doesn't mean its an effective treatment. and the article from the yale guy i think specifically mentions prophylactic use. i dont think that has been proven either but it is not uncommon for physicians to disagree on what amounts to enough evidence to prescribe. so this guy might just have a differing opinion of the data. The FDA has rules they follow that are usually very rigorous. sometimes outside doctors think too rigorous

how many people do you think are out there walking around with a pH < 7 ?
how high above normal does the pCO2 need to get for someone's pH to get below 7?

LOL
the only way to protect them is to surround them with kids who do not have covid. i think masks will help but not eliminate
thats why many districts are trying to wait as long as possible to get community levels as low as possible
districts are waiting because they're scared sh##less by the fear mongering and mixed signals they're getting from the CDC. Some states are a full go on re-starting school. They realize that when all things are considered teachers are essential employees and it's is in the best interest of kids to get them back in school. Every single teacher I know is out in public interacting with other citizens and every single one of the ones I know in my area are in favor of having kids in class. South Dakota will be an interesting test case because I believe they're going to be fully open. IF I was in a teacher in a high risk group I would probably want to sit this semester out but I think there will be vaccine available for all teachers by the holidays.

Last edited:
At some point a teacher in this country will supposedly catch COVID from a pupil and then we'll all hear about it on CNN and MSNBC non-stop for weeks. It won't likely be from grade schoolers. There are ways to mitigate risk for teachers in classrooms. I'm hearing of plexiglass isolation cubicles with separate air filters for college teachers in some areas. It would be easy to build to protect a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT