ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Cases & College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
F that if they keep the schools closed the teacher’s salaries should be cut by 2/3 no extra benefits because their staying home. Then lower the real estate taxes because of no busses or sports,band, shop. You do that and they’ll be ready to go back to work. I find it interesting the wealthy athletes are deciding to not play because of health reasons but they expect the meat packer who make 15 buck an hour to keep at it so people don’t go hungry.
WTF/Why the hate towards teachers? I am a teacher. I also have as much say in the matter as you do which is zero. So stop being a jackass.

Iam ok with going back to school despite having comorbidities. I am not ok with business as usual. (IE overloading my classroom as admin has always done and continues to do based on the schedule/roster i just received).

One last thing. If school is online teachers still have to work. For most teachers, teaching in an online format is/would be more work than they are doing now. Most dont get paid enough as it is. But yeah by all means cut their pay by 2/3rds and eliminate all those terrific extra bene's teachers get. Guess i will just have to find another way to fund my extravagant lifestyle.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
At some point a teacher in this country will supposedly catch COVID from a pupil and then we'll all hear about it on CNN and MSNBC non-stop for weeks. It won't likely be from grade schoolers. There are ways to mitigate risk for teachers in classrooms. I'm hearing of plexiglass isolation cubicles with separate air filters for college teachers in some areas. It would be easy to build to protect a teacher.

At some point a kid will die in a school bus crash and it's 2020 and I still don't think we have seatbelts in buses.

Safety is the boogeyman they use to control the weak and stupid.

Old teachers should retire. The rest of them need to go to work.

Reactions: dinglefritz
WTF/Why the hate towards teachers? I am a teacher. I also have as much say in the matter as you do which is zero. So stop being a jackass.

Iam ok with going back to school despite having comorbidities. I am not ok with business as usual. (IE overloading my classroom as admin has always done and continues to do based on the schedule/roster i just received).

One last thing. If school is online teachers still have to work. For most teachers, teaching in an online format is/would be more work than they are doing now. Most dont get paid enough as it is. But yeah by all means cut their pay by 2/3rds and eliminate all those terrific extra bene's teachers get. Guess i will just have to find another way to fund my extravagant lifestyle.

You are free to get another job.

Piss off, I don’t hate teachers it’s you dam union that I despise. You are the highest paid people in small communities. Your benefits are right in line with Congress. You don’t have to go on freaking Obamacare like most self employed people had to because teachers were exempt.

you dont sound educated on this topic. you dont conclude a therapy is effective because it increases PH. lots of things can increase PH. but you dont give them to covid patients. in order for a therapy to be shown to be effective it needs to have shown a reduction in symptoms; disease length; hospitalizations or deaths. If hydroxy reduced these things in multiple prospective randomized double blinded clinical trials then it would be approved for such use. It hasn't so it isn't.
anything else is mediocre science

There's no science to say that people who live healthier lifestyles are less likely to get sick, but we know its true and we understand why. Its widely known that many diseases don't thrive in alkaline environments, HCQ helps to provide an alkaline environment, as does zinc. I dont need a double blind study to verify common sense.

What I would like some science on is the idea that the best thing for people to do if they test positive is go home and quarantine for 2 weeks without any form of treatment, and come back when you're really sick.

There's no science to say that people who live healthier lifestyles are less likely to get sick, but we know its true and we understand why. Its widely known that many diseases don't thrive in alkaline environments, HCQ helps to provide an alkaline environment, as does zinc. I dont need a double blind study to verify common sense.

What I would like some science on is the idea that the best thing for people to do if they test positive is go home and quarantine for 2 weeks without any form of treatment, and come back when you're really sick.
Part of the idea behind that is to save hospital resources for those who truly need it. The other factor I can attest to is that being in a hospital is EXTREMELY stressful for patients. You don't sleep well and that being the case it can actually suppress your immune system to some degree and slow your recovery. I've heard locally of several people who got fed up with being woke up every few hours at night for vitals in the hospital so they checked themselves out before the physician really wanted to release them. No matter what they say, they can't actually hold you if you don't want to stay.

At some point a kid will die in a school bus crash and it's 2020 and I still don't think we have seatbelts in buses.

So, when you fasten your seat belt upon getting in a car to drive somewhere, are you displaying your weakness and stupidity?

Piss off, I don’t hate teachers it’s you dam union that I despise. You are the highest paid people in small communities. Your benefits are right in line with Congress. You don’t have to go on freaking Obamacare like most self employed people had to because teachers were exempt.
You don't have to agree with what we all think as teachers. However, we have become the first line of protection should there be a shooting at your child's/grandchild's school....and we are now being part of a large science experiment with no control group. I think you can conjure up a minimal amount of respect to not tell someone to "piss off" just because you disagree (and yes, he was wrong to tell you to stop being a jackass).

Secondly, we might be among the highest paid employees in a town that plays 6-man football, but that's about it. I grew up in the Denver Metro area. I can name about 5 or 6 districts in the area where most of their teachers don't reside in-district because they aren't paid enough to be able to afford to live there (unless they have a spouse that does). A large chunk of young, single teachers in Denver Public Schools work a second job during the school year. I won't even get into some of the mountain towns....

In the town where I live, teachers are the lowest paid people among those with jobs that require degrees (not to mention there are many other jobs here that pay more than don't require degrees). I am also on my wife's insurance, because it is a better deal...so don't try and tell me that our benefits are so awesome, because that's not always the case.

Heck....I bet there aren't too many single teachers in the Omaha Westside district that live in-district.

For the record....I have been a teacher for 16 years, and I serve as our school's AD. I make about $40k to teach, and the extra stipend I get for being the AD comes out to about $4 an hour. Now, I didn't get into the profession to get rich, but spare me the BS about how I'm so well paid.

Reactions: Blindcheck
You don't have to agree with what we all think as teachers. However, we have become the first line of protection should there be a shooting at your child's/grandchild's school....and we are now being part of a large science experiment with no control group. I think you can conjure up a minimal amount of respect to not tell someone to "piss off" just because you disagree (and yes, he was wrong to tell you to stop being a jackass).

Secondly, we might be among the highest paid employees in a town that plays 6-man football, but that's about it. I grew up in the Denver Metro area. I can name about 5 or 6 districts in the area where most of their teachers don't reside in-district because they aren't paid enough to be able to afford to live there (unless they have a spouse that does). A large chunk of young, single teachers in Denver Public Schools work a second job during the school year. I won't even get into some of the mountain towns....

In the town where I live, teachers are the lowest paid people among those with jobs that require degrees (not to mention there are many other jobs here that pay more than don't require degrees). I am also on my wife's insurance, because it is a better deal...so don't try and tell me that our benefits are so awesome, because that's not always the case.

Heck....I bet there aren't too many single teachers in the Omaha Westside district that live in-district.

For the record....I have been a teacher for 16 years, and I serve as our school's AD. I make about $40k to teach, and the extra stipend I get for being the AD comes out to about $4 an hour. Now, I didn't get into the profession to get rich, but spare me the BS about how I'm so well paid.
If you're making 40K all you have is a bachelor's degree right? What did you expect when you got a bachelor's in education? Have you thought about getting your masters? Lots of teachers do that in the summers.

One thing I do know is that you HAVE to be willing to move to advance your career opportunities and a bachelor's degree isn't going to get you far as an employee normally unless you're in a technical field. That said, 40K/year sounds pretty good for 9 months of work with all of the holidays including a lengthy one over Christmas that teachers get. Just think IF you had a job that was 12 months long your salary would be over 53K. Of course you don't mention the health insurance and tax advantaged retirement that you get as benefits either. Some of us are paying 2K/month for our health insurance.

Complaining about the cost of living in the school district you teach in is YOUR problem. Go find a different job if you don't like your standard of living. A person making that in my area can afford a nice home and probably a late model vehicle in the drive. Likewise for the poor, we have jobs still available in our community in the 18-22$/hour range plus benefits with ZERO skills required. You can live very well in our community on that wage. You have to be willing to move.

If you're making 40K all you have is a bachelor's degree right? What did you expect when you got a bachelor's in education? Have you thought about getting your masters? Lots of teachers do that in the summers.

One thing I do know is that you HAVE to be willing to move to advance your career opportunities and a bachelor's degree isn't going to get you far as an employee normally unless you're in a technical field. That said, 40K/year sounds pretty good for 9 months of work with all of the holidays including a lengthy one over Christmas that teachers get. Just think IF you had a job that was 12 months long your salary would be over 53K. Of course you don't mention the health insurance and tax advantaged retirement that you get as benefits either. Some of us are paying 2K/month for our health insurance.

Complaining about the cost of living in the school district you teach in is YOUR problem. Go find a different job if you don't like your standard of living. A person making that in my area can afford a nice home and probably a late model vehicle in the drive. Likewise for the poor, we have jobs still available in our community in the 18-22$/hour range plus benefits with ZERO skills required. You can live very well in our community on that wage. You have to be willing to move.

Yep. I've got a few very large construction project out here in North Carolina & South Carolina that will pay you probably anywhere from 50-90K depending on your trade and we are having a hell of a time filling positions. Chance for a very good wage, with paid training, benes, etc. and we can't get people.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

You're a teacher?

nintchdbpict000269030157.jpg

You were missing the point. I wasn't complaining about my pay. I was simply addressing someone's (incorrect) assertion that teachers are the highest paid people in many communities.

BTW--Takes several years of teaching in today's economic atmosphere to get a financial return on investment when it comes to spending money on getting an MA (I'd have to shell out about $10k to get an MA for my yearly salary to go up $1900...and if I want it to go up any more, I gotta shell out money for another $5k for 15 hours of course work). And, just like you (assuming you're married), I bet there are many considerations within your household when discussing a decision to move.

While I appreciate the lecture on crap I already know, it wasn't necessary.

Last edited:
Yep. I've got a few very large construction project out here in North Carolina & South Carolina that will pay you probably anywhere from 50-90K depending on your trade and we are having a hell of a time filling positions. Chance for a very good wage, with paid training, benes, etc. and we can't get people.

That's fine and dandy.....except:

1) I don't think my wife wants to leave her $65k/year job to move to North or South Carolina, and.....

2) I wasn't complaining about my pay.....just addressing someone's (incorrect) claim that teachers are the highest paid people in many communities, and providing examples of how he/she is wrong.

Again, while I appreciate the lecture, it wasn't necessary.

And if you can't get people, then maybe it isn't a cushy as you think.

1) I don't think my wife wants to leave her $65k/year job to move to North or South Carolina, and.....

2) I wasn't complaining about my pay.....just addressing someone's (incorrect) claim that teachers are the highest paid people in many communities, and providing examples of how he/she is wrong.

The "well move" argument works for the small community folks too. If they aren't happy that a teacher with a bachelor's out earns everyone in their town...then put in the work to go get a bachelor's, or move to another area with better opportunities. Plenty of other folks have, which is why there aren't that many great opportunities in small towns anymore.

The ag schools are full of kids from small towns who either die hard want to leave small towns or die hard want to stay in small towns but have no way to employment wise.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
Today, you people are no longer maggots. Today, you are Huskers. You're part of a brotherhood. From now on, until the day you die, wherever you are, every Husker is your brother. Most of you will go to the Grid-Iron. Some of you will not come back. But always remember this: Huskers die. That's what we're here for. But Nebraska Fooball lives forever and that means you live forever

Reactions: Bugeater
Today, you people are no longer maggots. Today, you are Huskers. You're part of a brotherhood. From now on, until the day you die, wherever you are, every Husker is your brother. Most of you will go to the Grid-Iron. Some of you will not come back. But always remember this: Huskers die. That's what we're here for. But Nebraska Fooball lives forever and that means you live forever

You missed the meeting. You are only a Husker if you don't put the patch on your uniform. ;)

Reactions: redwine65

This isn't just North Carolina. This is all over. People just don't want to work a job they might actually have to provide a little labor for, although driving a piece of equipment doesn't require that much, but good try. To each their own, and I'm not lecturing you. I'm more just stating that people act like there are no jobs out there to better yourself. There are, but you might have to deal with some elements and be forced to work more than 8 hours a day.

This isn't just North Carolina. This is all over. People just don't want to work a job they might actually have to provide a little labor for, although driving a piece of equipment doesn't require that much, but good try. To each their own, and I'm not lecturing you. I'm more just stating that people act like there are no jobs out there to better yourself. There are, but you might have to deal with some elements and be forced to work more than 8 hours a day.
I'm happy with what I do....again, just challenging an assertion that was made about teachers being the highest income earners in communities.

Not being able to fill jobs also occurs in schools as well. I switched schools in 2018, but between my previous school and current school, during the past 5 years, I've seen 3 teaching positions go unfilled (it would have been 4, but our superintendent begged a recently retired teacher to come back and fill in for a semester...and was then lucky enough to hire someone right out of college--who happened to be from a nearby town--to finish the year). Apparently, there isn't a huge line of people to do what I do, either....at least not in my state.

Reactions: leodisflowers
It's a little change of subject, but I think we are going to see in the near future a wave of professionals that can work from home...move to some rural areas where homes are more affordable and land is available to buy (not for farming, but for building homes)...

I think this Pandemic has showed many people can work from home and be just as productive if not more productive...When given the option, I think you are going to see these individuals make individual decisions to take advantage of real estate prices in smaller towns.

This will be an overall positive in the smaller towns, but will come with some issues...

It's a little change of subject, but I think we are going to see in the near future a wave of professionals that can work from home...move to some rural areas where homes are more affordable and land is available to buy (not for farming, but for building homes)...

I think this Pandemic has showed many people can work from home and be just as productive if not more productive...When given the option, I think you are going to see these individuals make individual decisions to take advantage of real estate prices in smaller towns.

This will be an overall positive in the smaller towns, but will come with some issues...

Where do you live?

Where do you live?
Currently, in a suburb of Minneapolis. But have lived in Pender, Fremont, South Sioux City, Omaha in Nebraska...Estherville, Des moines area, and Quad City area in Iowa.

I have liked every place that I have lived...all have plusses and Minuses, though.

If you people can live anywhere they want and still keep their same job, I think it represents an opportunity for small towns to attract them (but will come with issues, as home prices might shoot up (which can also be seen as good and bad).

Get a masters degree or two. That will help, and quit crying.

Mom is worried about "possible" heart issues. I would think they know if he has a heart issue or not. She sounds like my mom did rest her soul. I worry about "possible" heart issues for every single kid who gets influenza and yet hundreds of thousands of moms fail to get their kids vaccinated against influenza every flu season. I worry about heart issues for every 325 lb true freshman lineman regardless of a viral infections. Viral myocarditis is no joke but it's not unique to COVID.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

"they" ? if "they" (LOL) want to control the weak and stupid why aren't "they" (LOL) consistent in requiring us to be safe. Why do "they" (LOL) only want to control us sometimes and someplaces but not all times and all places? are "they" (LOL) not very good at controlling the weak and stupid? If thats what "they" (LOL) are really trying to do then "they" (LOL) aren't very good at it. Because there are a LOT of instances where "they" (LOL) dont seem to have any interest in keeping us safe at all

not that interesting. that may be the most unscientific, least rigorous, most flimsy way to try to draw conclusions from data that one could possibly participate in. Unless the study design says "randomized, double blind, prospective; placebo controlled study then the most it can possibly be is remotely interesting and never conclusive. Even the best type of study that can be done can still have somewhat unreliable results. But this type of study is probably deserving of the trash can. there seems to be a really strong interest in trying relentlessly to find a way to make hydroxy look good in a study. But the only studies that can make a conclusion actually show no benefit. All of them show the same thing. But for some reason, some people just dont want that to be true. I've never seen anything like it. There has never been so much public interest in a medicine that most of the medical field is in agreement doesn't work. at least in the particular patient populations studied so far.
i think we found a way to get people to care about their own health: add in some politics

not that interesting. that may be the most unscientific, least rigorous, most flimsy way to try to draw conclusions from data that one could possibly participate in. Unless the study design says "randomized, double blind, prospective; placebo controlled study then the most it can possibly be is remotely interesting and never conclusive. Even the best type of study that can be done can still have somewhat unreliable results. But this type of study is probably deserving of the trash can. there seems to be a really strong interest in trying relentlessly to find a way to make hydroxy look good in a study. But the only studies that can make a conclusion actually show no benefit. All of them show the same thing. But for some reason, some people just dont want that to be true. I've never seen anything like it. There has never been so much public interest in a medicine that most of the medical field is in agreement doesn't work. at least in the particular patient populations studied so far.
i think we found a way to get people to care about their own health: add in some politics
for a guy with zero original thoughts, you sure post a lot.

for a guy with zero original thoughts, you sure post a lot.
there's a lot of ignorant people in the world who need help "interpreting" medical information. If it was an original thought it probably wouldn't be a very good one. I can't imagine any of us figuring something out or saying something that hadn't already been figured out or said a long time ago. So yes i'm in the same category with you

there's a lot of ignorant people in the world who need help "interpreting" medical information. If it was an original thought it probably wouldn't be a very good one. I can't imagine any of us figuring something out or saying something that hadn't already been figured out or said a long time ago. So yes i'm in the same category with you
thank you for your service, hero.

Well hero, my mom's hospital is using the Hdrxy-Z-Pack-Zinc treatment and is having great results including my 88 year old grandfather who has beat lung cancer twice and was sick and hospitalized with the virus, so.... He turned around very quickly after using the treatment, but yeah... It doesn't work on anyone... ok.

Jobs in the construction and the trades are short of trained workers across the nation. I have a customer's who has an electrical, HVAC and plumbing company in Southern Iowa. He cannot get help from the local area and just recently hired an employee from South Carolina. He had to pay $80,000 and was happy to get him. You don't need a degree. You just need to be willing to work.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT