ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 8.0 no name calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herd immunity is natures way,up until now, with few exceptions.
So, put 2 n 2 together.
We can't stop it. Check.
It's highly contagious check
We may have a vaccine in 18 months, check,maybe

So, whats that leave us with?

As for the spanish flu, we simply didn't have enough doctors, nurses hospitals, no gloves, maybe rags for masks if worn, little aspirin, no communication for best patient handling, a far less healthy population, poor cares etc etc etc.

What can be learned is, both viruses were highly infectious, we could stop neither

We still don't have enough doctors, hospitals, and PPE to handle the herd immunity strategy... nor will we ever. Far less healthy population? We have better healthcare, which has prolonged the life of unhealthy individuals more than ever.. but make no mistake, our population is not healthier today than it was then.

We can't stop Covid-19 as of yet, but we can manage it and buy more time to figure out how to stop it. You'd think with all the technology in this world focused on one virus we would be able to at least figure out how to treat it in a reasonable amount of time.

Reactions: dinglefritz
So we exclude like 40-50% of Americans and pretend things are normal? I think a better approach is widespread testing, case tracking and quarantines for those who get it.
Testing for antibodies will be YUGE. I am quite certain the dread disease hit our home in early February. We have been disease-free...maybe immune...and quarantined for 6 weeks. Stinks!

Reactions: leodisflowers
We still don't have enough doctors, hospitals, and PPE to handle the herd immunity strategy... nor will we ever. Far less healthy population? We have better healthcare, which has prolonged the life of unhealthy individuals more than ever.. but make no mistake, our population is not healthier today than it was then.

We can't stop Covid-19 as of yet, but we can manage it and buy more time to figure out how to stop it. You'd think with all the technology in this world focused on one virus we would be able to at least figure out how to treat it in a reasonable amount of time.
Context, 1918 not as healthy as 2020.
Did you make several assumptions? Social distancing only creates a manageable herd effect over years, we have that much time?
So, polio, chickens pocks, malaria,small pocks,poor foods or reduced steady foods etc etc etc.
No, just take a peak at life expectancy. People were forced to live on the edge, and it took its toll.
Wheres the high blood pressure,diabetes etc numbers?
I could beat this to a slow death, but we are healthier today.

The experts are hopeful less than 18 months,maybe. Leaning on tech means nothing, we lose electricity, no tech. Very fragile, and overemphasized, as we still use leaches for best treatments.
Life expectancy in the late nineteen teens was a little over 50

Last edited:
And Barack Obama said he campaigned in all 57 states (gaffe).
During the 2008 campaign, he said: “I’ve now been in 57 states-I think have one left to go.”

Or remember this one:
What language is that? In April 2009, on one of his many foreign trips, President Obama mused, “I don’t know what the term is in Austria for “wheeling and dealing." Oops, Mr. President. There is no Austrian language.

What year is it? During a trip to London’s Westminster Abbey, President Obama signed the guest book and dated it 24 May 2008. Oops. It was 2011. (Maybe he was wistfully dreaming about his 2008 election campaign at the time.)

What's your point? Should we get started on Joseph (I'm tough on China) Biden gaffes? Think you are going sway some posters on an already polarized message board. WE get it you hate Trump.

So much for taking time off until the Fall? I guess once an antagonist always an antagonist....Take a break kid.

Hey, do you think Obama was referring to the 57 Islamic States (*wink*).
Gaffes are one thing...and they all do them.

Saying things that flat out aren't true (and doubling down on them after being shown to be false), or trying to convince everyone that you know everything is something else.

You small print tells us much about your true motivations here. As long as you have something like that on your posts, don't count on politics being pushed aside when you post.

I am no expert, but it seems to me the return to mostly normal (fairly soon) should entail protecting the aged, hypertense and diabetic folks and having the young and healthy back out there. If more people get it and get over it (isn't that true 95+% of the time, doesn't that do more long term good than casting a protective net over everyone, hoping nobody gets infected? To me, for young and basically healthy people, there is a suck it up, and possibly take one for the team factor. Won't herd immunity be the best scenario? If it was Ebola, no..but this virus?? Asking for myself.:D
Or, you can do that, and perhaps the virus evolves, and begins killing younger people......but I guess that's the chance you're willing to take, eh?

Guy I work with was randomly chosen for a antibody test here in LA. It came back negative he was bummed. He was convinced he had already had the virus but sometimes a bad cough is just a bad cough

You can still buy "Not My President" buttons with Obama's picture on them on Amazon. Of course the liberal media is not going to flame Obama, not sure why anyone expects otherwise. Perhaps I should ask you to sing the praises of the Hawkeye football program? Supposedly the Right has money cuz they know bizness...where's the right media outlets besides Fox?

I've had countless debates with folks about how the right should position itself. The whole deplorables thing sort of rolls into that because its the number 1 thing holding the GOP back IMO, the fear of being called names by the media.

Back in the Dubya administration I would say something like "Bush should do this" and some other guy would be like "well yah, but then the media will roast him for it".

I don't know how others were raised, but right it right. If the media is going to call names its going to call names. You can't constantly make what you feel are incorrect or outright wrong calls for fear of being made fun of. The GOP doesn't have a platform if it refuses to implement it for fear of being teased.

Trump's campaign showed this was possible to overcome. He was made fun of and tore down in every possible way and won anyway. He's sort of dropped the ball at the goal line though as a good bit of his base is upset he lost that fire apparently when he finally got in office and he started letting a more liberal Javanka run the show, told Pelosi and McConnell to just make deals so he could sign them, and now handing large chunks of policy direction to Fauci.

But yah the general point is the right has to stop being so darned scared of their own shadow. If they don't implement their policies, Democrats surely won't.
Ehh? Joe Biden is that you - your logic is that Obama was treated the same? or that Conservatives should quit whining that MSM is so blatantly biased

Ehh? Joe Biden is that you - your logic is that Obama was treated the same? or that Conservatives should quit whining that MSM is so blatantly biased
1) Obama was treated badly by Fox News and conservative outlets....so, to answer your first question, yes.

2) Yes...conservatives should quit whining. I recall that back in the 1990s that they hated people being victims, and whining about how things are unfair. That attitude apparently ended with that decade.

Conservatives painted themselves as morally superior to all others. Therefore, when you get a situation like Mark Sanford (adulterer), or Mark Foley (the closeted homosexual...who had favored several anti-gay proposals and viewpoints), they deserve the media fallout.

I personally think AOC is a kook....but at least she's upfront about being a kook. Foley and Sanford presented themselves as one thing, but were another in reality. Therefore, bring on the media bias as far as I'm concerned, as they deserve it.

BTW--Trump has blown up at some perfectly legitimate questions.

I just don't think the younger, healthier population has much to worry about. All the same, protect the infirm. We should be careful with them, anyway, with more handwashing, keeping sick youngins away from them, etc. The more people who happen to get it (not necessarily saying to try to get it) experience mild-to-moderate flu symptoms, and get better... the better for everyone, I assume, in the long run. Just an amateur's opinion. Livelihoods are being wrecked to try to make sure nobody gets a virus that is lethal to maybe 1% of those infected...and we have a pretty good idea, now, who comprises the bulk of the 1%.
The problem with your theory is that in fact there have been plenty of documented cases where the young and healthy have gotten very ill with some fatalities. The other factor is the potential for survival with long term disabilities due to organ damage. The cost to society and our economy long term might be as bad as the steps being taken now.

Testing for antibodies will be YUGE. I am quite certain the dread disease hit our home in early February. We have been disease-free...maybe immune...and quarantined for 6 weeks. Stinks!

I think it will be fascinating to see what comes out of widespread antibody testing.

Let's say it's available in an unlimited quantity on Monday and the entire US population gets tested. 10% test positive. 90% test negative. What happens at that point?

I think it will be fascinating to see what comes out of widespread antibody testing.

Let's say it's available in an unlimited quantity on Monday and the entire US population gets tested. 10% test positive. 90% test negative. What happens at that point?
I thought I saw they did a small sample in Chicago and it could already be that 30-50% have the Covid. That could be game changing.

The test results from the one cruise ship were pretty interesting. One would think that would offer hope that this doesn't have to sweep through the country's entire population to develop a herd immunity. I think that showed a 19% infection rate. Granted once they figured out they had a problem they instituted room quarantines but knowing now how easily this is spread in enclosed places, I'm thinking that there is a set of people who just won't pick up the virus even though they don't test positive for antibodies. Maybe it's due to a past infection or exposure with a similar mammalian Corona virus. Maybe it's something to do with a genetic difference in their immune system, blood type etc. There's just so much we don't know.

I can think of multiple different retrospective studies that would be great doctoral topics. Did pet owner's have a lower rate of COVID-19 infection? Did livestock farmers have a lower rate of COVID-19 infections? How about pot smokers versus non pot smokers. We apparently already know that pot smokers tend to have much worse outcomes non-tokers. Does pot suppress the immune system with regards to viral infections? etc etc etc.

Reactions: bluenrg
I thought I saw they did a small sample in Chicago and it could already be that 30-50% have the Covid. That could be game changing.
Small sample sizes can be misleading but I do expect that there's been much wider transmission than currently thought. I actually think we had pretty widespread community spread back in late January in urban areas. The NY Times reported on 4/4 that 430,000 people had traveled to the U.S. from China since COVID-19 surfaced. THEN ADD to it the probably millions of people who have traveled to the U.S from Europe since then since we now know that was the greatest source of infections in New York. I just think we're going to find a much larger number of asymptomatic exposures than we expected.

One of the press conferences led me to believe that Fauci and Birx were getting numbers like that as early as early this past week to support that.

Reactions: leodisflowers
The test results from the one cruise ship were pretty interesting. One would think that would offer hope that this doesn't have to sweep through the country's entire population to develop a herd immunity. I think that showed a 19% infection rate. Granted once they figured out they had a problem they instituted room quarantines but knowing now how easily this is spread in enclosed places, I'm thinking that there is a set of people who just won't pick up the virus even though they don't test positive for antibodies. Maybe it's due to a past infection or exposure with a similar mammalian Corona virus. Maybe it's something to do with a genetic difference in their immune system, blood type etc. There's just so much we don't know.

I can think of multiple different retrospective studies that would be great doctoral topics. Did pet owner's have a lower rate of COVID-19 infection? Did livestock farmers have a lower rate of COVID-19 infections? How about pot smokers versus non pot smokers. We apparently already know that pot smokers tend to have much worse outcomes non-tokers. Does pot suppress the immune system with regards to viral infections? etc etc etc.

U.S. testing currently running a little under 20% positive of those tested. Granted, that number is probably high as most of the people that have been getting tested have had more severe symptoms.

https://covidtracking.com/data

Study of Germany's hardest hit area shows 14% of the people infected and a .37% mortality rate.

https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preli...infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr and bluenrg
U.S. testing currently running a little under 20% positive of those tested. Granted, that number is probably high as most of the people that have been getting tested have had more severe symptoms.

https://covidtracking.com/data

Study of Germany's hardest hit area show 14% of the people infected and a .37% mortality rate.

https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preli...infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/

Small sample sizes can be misleading but I do expect that there's been much wider transmission than currently thought. I actually think we had pretty widespread community spread back in late January in urban areas. The NY Times reported on 4/4 that 430,000 people had traveled to the U.S. from China since COVID-19 surfaced. THEN ADD to it the probably millions of people who have traveled to the U.S from Europe since then since we now know that was the greatest source of infections in New York. I just think we're going to find a much larger number of asymptomatic exposures than we expected.

One of the press conferences led me to believe that Fauci and Birx were getting numbers like that as early as early this past week to support that.

Based on some of the statistics coming out from various regions, I would guess that at least 1.5 to 2 million people have been infected in New York. Oregon study of 40 random people. 1 with high antibodies (2.5%) and 3 more with weak antibodies for 4 total (10%). 40 is too small a sample size to base anything off of, but the fact they found a high antibody person that had upper respiratory
illness in December 2019 is very telling.

The problem with your theory is that in fact there have been plenty of documented cases where the young and healthy have gotten very ill with some fatalities. The other factor is the potential for survival with long term disabilities due to organ damage. The cost to society and our economy long term might be as bad as the steps being taken now.
You mean, man can't still escape nature, like every previous generation? Polio ended in my life time, I saw its effects.
Don't tell me you're naive to this very hard fact?

Have we swallowed the blue pill here?

We continue opening up our economy according to needs, keep finding ways to keep everyone healthy everywhere, including the work place.
What other choice do we have?

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Don't forget, 5.7 infections from each infected.
Extremely high R0

I'll post this here so people know who is what
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...area-virus-deaths-reported-nevada-total-now-4
BY MICHELLE L. PRICE, Associated Press

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada’s governor has signed an emergency order barring the use of anti-malaria drugs for someone who has the coronavirus.

But here’s an updated report, from the exact same journalist, Michelle L Price.

Sorry that MSM let you down.

https://apnews.com/72f591f9b46fd46c1bfb3b4b5cf9f1bb

Sisolak signed an emergency order earlier Tuesday barring the use of anti-malaria drugs for someone who has the coronavirus. But Sisolak’s order does not apply to patients who are hospitalized with coronavirus.

Another

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local...-signs-restriction-order-for-2-drugs-1990149/

The order doesn’t limit use of the drugs in hospitals, only in outpatient settings where hoarding is evident, the governor’s office stressed. Doctors may continue to prescribe them to hospitalized COVID-19 patients at their discretion.

And another

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/nevada-governor-bans-malaria-drugs-for-coronavirus-patients/

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak’s emergency regulation limits the prescription of the drugs in outpatient settings — not in hospitals or emergency rooms — to a 30-day supply, to ensure they’re available for “legitimate medical purposes.”

1) Obama was treated badly by Fox News and conservative outlets....so, to answer your first question, yes.

2) Yes...conservatives should quit whining. I recall that back in the 1990s that they hated people being victims, and whining about how things are unfair. That attitude apparently ended with that decade.

Conservatives painted themselves as morally superior to all others. Therefore, when you get a situation like Mark Sanford (adulterer), or Mark Foley (the closeted homosexual...who had favored several anti-gay proposals and viewpoints), they deserve the media fallout.

I personally think AOC is a kook....but at least she's upfront about being a kook. Foley and Sanford presented themselves as one thing, but were another in reality. Therefore, bring on the media bias as far as I'm concerned, as they deserve it.

BTW--Trump has blown up at some perfectly legitimate questions.
Fox is the only major outlet that takes a conservative viewpoint. They have dominated the ratings doing that yet CNN prefers to have low ratings and be Liberal. The fact that major corporations do not even act in their best interest financially shows how tainted the news has become. Obama was fawned over by every news organization but one. Trump has endured repeated false attacks and news even when accurate is tilted towards the negative, hardly the same treatment for both.

I know nothing of Sanford or Foley. I voted for same sex marriage, I believe everyone should have the right to do what they want as long as it does not affect others around them. I am conservative and I think many Liberals have lost their fricking minds. A friend of mine took his daughter to college for the indoctrination, the first thing they had to do was write and wear a name tag as to what gender they wanted to be referred as. The second thing was to hold a moment of silence for the native americans who the land the college was built on was stolen from them by the white man( their words)

I guess their fact checking needs fact checking
WHAT?! Nevada’s Leftist Governor Has Banned The Use Of An Anti-Malaria Drug That Might Help Cure Coronavirus!" reads the caption on the meme, which was posted March 25, 2020. "Big Government Is Deadly!"

Thats not in the statement, thats a later opinion, possibly from somewheres.
So, fake fact checking and retconning.

Heres the report,actually, not from another source that politifact used, makes you wonder why

A woman removes items before the Las Vegas Boat Harbor closes at the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Monday, March 23, 2020, near Boulder City, Nev. The recreation area is closing down most areas in Nevada to limit transmission of the coronavirus. (AP Photo/John Locher) THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BY MICHELLE L. PRICE, Associated Press

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada’s governor has signed an emergency order barring the use of anti-malaria drugs for someone who has the coronavirus.

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak’s order Tuesday restricting chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine comes after President Donald Trump touted the medication as a treatment for the virus.

[
SEE:

The Latest News on the Coronavirus Outbreak ]
Trump last week falsely stated that the Food and Drug Administration had just approved the use of chloroquine to treat patients infected with coronavirus. After the FDA’s chief said the drug still needs to be tested for that use, Trump overstated the drug’s potential benefits in containing the virus.

Sisolak said in a statement that there’s no consensus among experts or Nevada doctors that the drugs can treat people with COVID-19. His order also limits a prescription to a 30-day supply so that people cannot find a way to stockpile the drug and ensure it’s available for “legitimate medical purposes.”

[
MORE:

Graphic: The Spread of Coronavirus in the United States ]
The governor’s rule comes a day after a Phoenix-area man died and his wife was in critical condition after they took an additive used to clean fish tanks known as chloroquine phosphate, similar to the drug used to treat malaria.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tags: Nevada, coronavirus

Sisolak signed an emergency order earlier Tuesday barring the use of anti-malaria drugs for someone who has the coronavirus. But Sisolak’s order does not apply to patients who are hospitalized with coronavirus.

Another

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local...-signs-restriction-order-for-2-drugs-1990149/

The order doesn’t limit use of the drugs in hospitals, only in outpatient settings where hoarding is evident, the governor’s office stressed. Doctors may continue to prescribe them to hospitalized COVID-19 patients at their discretion.

And another

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/nevada-governor-bans-malaria-drugs-for-coronavirus-patients/

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak’s emergency regulation limits the prescription of the drugs in outpatient settings — not in hospitals or emergency rooms — to a 30-day supply, to ensure they’re available for “legitimate medical purposes.”
I wonder as I have not seen any yet where the stories are of this drug killing people. Surely there would be some given how many hospitals are using it right now. The MSM used a lot of air time to tell us how dangerous Trump was for promoting this drug yet the only stories I see are of people helped by taking it. Curious...

Another

And another

This is the workaround where unless you're that sick, it can't be used as a prophylactic, where it's also shown promise.
Also, medicare gives each hospital 13 grand for each wuhan patient, 39 grand if they're intubated.

So, this is governing without listening to the experts.

My daughter in law takes it, lives in nevada, can get it, never had a problem,nor does she now,getting it.
But, anyone wanting to get it who had symptoms of wuhan couldn't get it or take it until they were so sick the hospital had to take them in, where chloroquine has shown you don't have to be hospitalized in various testing.

Basically, it's creating a funneling ,a problem, that has government monies involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
Fox is the only major outlet that takes a conservative viewpoint. They have dominated the ratings doing that yet CNN prefers to have low ratings and be Liberal. The fact that major corporations do not even act in their best interest financially shows how tainted the news has become. Obama was fawned over by every news organization but one. Trump has endured repeated false attacks and news even when accurate is tilted towards the negative, hardly the same treatment for both.

I know nothing of Sanford or Foley. I voted for same sex marriage, I believe everyone should have the right to do what they want as long as it does not affect others around them. I am conservative and I think many Liberals have lost their fricking minds. A friend of mine took his daughter to college for the indoctrination, the first thing they had to do was write and wear a name tag as to what gender they wanted to be referred as. The second thing was to hold a moment of silence for the native americans who the land the college was built on was stolen from them by the white man( their words)

Fox had 2.9 million average prime time viewers, MSNBC and CNN combined to have 2.9 million also.

BUT, CNN.com is the 103rd most visited site with 95 million a month compared to Fox which gets 65 million and is 251st.

Neither is truly “news”, both are advertising companies with programs designed to draw in audiences.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality

I wouldn't bother, many elected pols won't let fox near them, be interviewed by them etc.

They've chosen to only speak to the choir

I wonder as I have not seen any yet where the stories are of this drug killing people. Surely there would be some given how many hospitals are using it right now. The MSM used a lot of air time to tell us how dangerous Trump was for promoting this drug yet the only stories I see are of people helped by taking it. Curious...

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...mp-s-embrace-risky-malaria-drugs-coronavirus#

Deaths in Nigeria among people self-treating for apparent COVID-19 were attributed to chloroquine overdoses, and an Arizona man trying to avoid COVID-19 infection died after reportedly self-medicating with a toxic form of chloroquine used to clean fish tanks

Although doctors regard hydroxychloroquine as relatively safe at prescribed doses for short periods, it has been associated with life-threatening cardiac side effects and suicidal behavior. “Given the toxicity of the drug, I’m afraid my government is going to kill people,” Taschner said.

Fox had 2.9 million average prime time viewers, MSNBC and CNN combined to have 2.9 million also.

BUT, CNN.com is the 103rd most visited site with 95 million a month compared to Fox which gets 65 million and is 251st.

Neither is truly “news”, both are advertising companies with programs designed to draw in audiences.
Good thing there isnt the ny times, the wapo, la times, chicago papers etc, cbs, nbc, abc late night shows......

And CBS,NBC,ABC,New York Times, Wall street journal, Washington Post, virtually every local station in major cities across the US. You are basically proving my point. The blatant liberal outlets would prefer to compete against each other for half the pie as opposed to being spread out across the spectrum. Its a very hard sell today to say the news is unbiased, if there is one thing Americans have seen in the last 4 years is the blatant bias systemic in our news organizations and yes that includes FOX

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...mp-s-embrace-risky-malaria-drugs-coronavirus#

Deaths in Nigeria among people self-treating for apparent COVID-19 were attributed to chloroquine overdoses, and an Arizona man trying to avoid COVID-19 infection died after reportedly self-medicating with a toxic form of chloroquine used to clean fish tanks

Although doctors regard hydroxychloroquine as relatively safe at prescribed doses for short periods, it has been associated with life-threatening cardiac side effects and suicidal behavior. “Given the toxicity of the drug, I’m afraid my government is going to kill people,” Taschner said.
Msm
News!!
People bashing themselves in the head instead of going to doctor dying of wounds, story at 11 !!

Nigeria among people self-treating - really thats the best you got - plus the guy who drank fish cleaner. No one is saying you should just take it including Trump. Doctors will and are prescribing it not your local drug dealer

How about this article

https://www.deccanherald.com/intern...my-life-from-covid-19-us-lawmaker-822298.html

Its so dangerous that Doctors are writing false prescriptions for themselves and their familes
https://www.propublica.org/article/...escriptions-for-themselves-and-their-families

Last edited:
This is the workaround where unless you're that sick, it can't be used as a prophylactic, where it's also shown promise.
Also, medicare gives each hospital 13 grand for each wuhan patient, 39 grand if they're intubated.

So, this is governing without listening to the experts.

My daughter in law takes it, lives in nevada, can get it, never had a problem,nor does she now,getting it.
But, anyone wanting to get it who had symptoms of wuhan couldn't get it or take it until they were so sick the hospital had to take them in, where chloroquine has shown you don't have to be hospitalized in various testing.

Basically, it's creating a funneling ,a problem, that has government monies involved.

You just continue to be wrong on this...

Here are the experts in Nevada, days before the order, these are the people who asked for the state action.

https://nevadanursingboard.org/wp-c...ydroxychloroquine-in-Response-to-COVID-19.pdf

Prescriptions for chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine related to COVID-19 may ONLY be dispensed for the treatment of, NOT for the prevention of the disease and must comply with the following:
a) The patient has a diagnosis of COVID-19 and the diagnosis is indicated on the prescription;
b) The prescription is limited to no more than a fourteen (14) day supply;
c) No refills may be permitted unless a new prescription is furnished; and
d) The pharmacist confirms that the prescribing practitioner submitted an individual “compassionate use” or expanded access request with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA Form 3926).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT