ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you need to do is type and read, like being a farmer, dig hole, drop in the seed, cover it up,and add water;)
I know hundreds of people with Dr. in front of their name. I also know some farmers with Masters degrees. I lived in college with people who went to med school or other professional schools. I knew people who were easily bright enough and did well enough in school to go to med school but chose to go home to farm. Some of the dumbest people I knew in college went to work in the corporate world and have worked themselves in to some pretty sweet jobs.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
...I will also add that every single person in our gov't, both the red and the blue people....has voted over the years the legislation necessary to allow companies to shut their doors in the States and move overseas, all of them are responsible for the fact China now has us over a barrel.....and all of them got rich doing it, so when I see any politician at the mic criticizing one man and trying to lay the blame at his feet my first thought is.."wait a minute, he's the only one who's been vocal about leveling the playing field with China, and was working on several deals to level the playing field and bring these jobs back before the virus"...and that's a fact, and I remember all the resistance a certain political party has put up every step of the way....so we have one guy on record trying to put us in a better position before the shit hit the fan with the China virus, and we have an entire gov't that allowed it to happen in the first place. So keep that in mind when climbing on your soap box to blame somebody.
We can't let doubling down of blame happen.
Companies need to prosper to survive and grow. Making laws,rules,taxes or having people give incentives outside the country,with the country offering up none, and creating more punishing taxes, rules,regs etc, they moved.
It shouldn't take much to get them back. But since it's rarely an owner based business, stocks will take a hit as they readjust coming home.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I know hundreds of people with Dr. in front of their name. I also know some farmers with Masters degrees. I lived in college with people who went to med school or other professional schools. I knew people who were easily bright enough and did well enough in school to go to med school but chose to go home to farm. Some of the dumbest people I knew in college went to work in the corporate world and have worked themselves in to some pretty sweet jobs.
It didn't come by accident where PHD sometimes means piled higher and deeper. Goes all ways.

Einstein and the bookmark comes to mind

Your gawdawful math and how you think everyone is going to get it.
GTFO. I haven’t once done any sort of calculations on here. I have shared different things from experts in the field. That’s not my math, that’s science. The facts and data are pretty clear on this, but you can chose to believe that you know more than the CDC or chose to believe Mr. “It’s the flu”, I just don’t see the point in lying to yourself.

Reactions: HuskersNC
This generation has had its safe place, not to be expected, as it was earned, defeating polio and all diseases that have plagued us.
So, throwing money at something doesn't prepare you for the unknown.
We got ahead of nature for a time, which has sprung into interesting theories,like controlling the weather etc.

But somehow, life springs surprises,it too has surges, wanting to get ahead too, outside of mans efforts.
It's not a new world in which we live, but a much older,all too familiar world.

Time to put on the big boy pants.

Folks. We will survive. We will bounce back. God bless you all. Hang tough. USA strong
Of course we will! We just need to understand what this is and use a little common sense. It’s a delay game so we don’t over run the health care system. Practice social distancing now. Hope treatments start to emerge soon, which they will, and then ultimately a vaccine. It would be great if warm weather slows this down, like it has with some other viruses. We each just have to do our part to slow the spread until we get treatments and a vaccine and not over run the health care system.

The facts and data are pretty clear on this, but you can chose to believe that you know more than the CDC or chose to believe Mr. “It’s the flu”

For starters, I'm not calling you out specifically here, just this notion that the data is pretty clear. I haven't seen a single data source that isnt biased in how they are presenting the data. Its really tough to compare countries, hell even states, when the criteria for testing, the availability of testing equipment, and population densities and demographics are so wildly different.

Take Nebraska for example, we have the capacity to test around 100 people a day i believe right now. The doctors here are focusing those tests on the worst of the worst, people that are at high risk. The positive rate from those tests is hovering around 5%. If we expand our capacity to 500 tests a day our number of positive tests will go up, but the morbidity rate will go way down as we are able to test people that are farther and farther from the original criteria that was established when we could only test 100 of the highest risk patients.

Nebraska has 62 confirmed cases. Those are confirmed because those people fit the strict testing criteria we have to have in place.

Of course South Korea looks like they are winning. They tested the shit out of people and now their math looks good. But the testing didnt control COVID, their social distancing and self-quarantining did.

If we want the US to look like we are winning the battle on paper, then lets just test as many people as possible but it wont be the tests that are helping, its the policies and mandates that are in place and already operational that are working.

I'm not saying this isnt a scary virus for a lot of people. I'm just saying that the data is heavily skewed and misleading.

For starters, I'm not calling you out specifically here, just this notion that the data is pretty clear. I haven't seen a single data source that isnt biased in how they are presenting the data. Its really tough to compare countries, hell even states, when the criteria for testing, the availability of testing equipment, and population densities and demographics are so wildly different.

Take Nebraska for example, we have the capacity to test around 100 people a day i believe right now. The doctors here are focusing those tests on the worst of the worst, people that are at high risk. The positive rate from those tests is hovering around 5%. If we expand our capacity to 500 tests a day our number of positive tests will go up, but the morbidity rate will go way down as we are able to test people that are farther and farther from the original criteria that was established when we could only test 100 of the highest risk patients.

Nebraska has 62 confirmed cases. Those are confirmed because those people fit the strict testing criteria we have to have in place.

Of course South Korea looks like they are winning. They tested the shit out of people and now their math looks good. But the testing didnt control COVID, their social distancing and self-quarantining did.

If we want the US to look like we are winning the battle on paper, then lets just test as many people as possible but it wont be the tests that are helping, its the policies and mandates that are in place and already operational that are working.

I'm not saying this isnt a scary virus for a lot of people. I'm just saying that the data is heavily skewed and misleading.

I think you are spot on, with you observations about testing. We desperately need to test and test widely, here in the US. But, we still know a lot about how the virus travels, how contagious it is, how deadly it is. We can take measures and come out fine, but pretending like it's the flu is stupid and reckless and we have one poster here that is allowed to keep saying like it's a fact, over and over.

Reactions: gomerxx
I think you are spot on, with you observations about testing. We desperately need to test and test widely, here in the US. But, we still know a lot about how the virus travels, how contagious it is, how deadly it is. We can take measures and come out fine, but pretending like it's the flu is stupid and reckless and we have one poster here that is allowed to keep saying like it's a fact, over and over.
#thoughtcrime

Quite true. Also the more you test the lower the death percentage.

I've been embarrassed by our testing situation but most of the european countries only test when a case is relatively severe or requires some hospitalization. This has happened in america but it isn't uniform.
This generation has had its safe place, not to be expected, as it was earned, defeating polio and all diseases that have plagued us.
So, throwing money at something doesn't prepare you for the unknown.
We got ahead of nature for a time, which has sprung into interesting theories,like controlling the weather etc.

But somehow, life springs surprises,it too has surges, wanting to get ahead too, outside of mans efforts.
It's not a new world in which we live, but a much older,all too familiar world.

Time to put on the big boy pants.
This isn't about nature beating humans. This virus isn't even what one would say is a "violent" virus. This is about humans not preparing for the inevitable because its costs some people some money to prepare. We knew that it would cost the world 3 trillion in wealth in 8 months fi there was a pandemic..yet "we" weren't motivated to spend a tenth of that to improve vaccine procurement, to stockpile medical necessities, or to even have a pandemic plan. We happen to be at a period of elevated ignorance. Many places, America, UK, Poland, Hungary, Brazil, Italy have elected officials who do not respect or understand science, and they appeal to a mass of people who think education and the scientific method are afterthoughts. Obviously a movement this large isn't "stupid" because so many people buy in but it does have an effect on the advancement of science and technology. All of a sudden, people want science to fix this thing because their lives are temporarily disrupted, or their STRONG leader suddenly can't lie their way out of it. Science requires development and time...we certainly could have a faster vaccine at this point if we had invested billions to develop a universal system. Just thank everything this isn't the 1918 variant that kills 3% of all people between the ages of 5-45...

Reactions: cornhustler
Quite true. Also the more you test the lower the death percentage.
somehow that doesnt make sense to me - If I was tested today that does not mean I cannot get it tomorrow. Unless the entire population was tested all in a very short period of time, it doesnt matter imo.

I could be offbase here but I think people are putting too much into testing because its easy. The only way that has been shown to slow this down is limiting contact between people

I've been embarrassed by our testing situation but most of the european countries only test when a case is relatively severe or requires some hospitalization. This has happened in america but it isn't uniform.

This isn't about nature beating humans. This virus isn't even what one would say is a "violent" virus. This is about humans not preparing for the inevitable because its costs some people some money to prepare. We knew that it would cost the world 3 trillion in wealth in 8 months fi there was a pandemic..yet "we" weren't motivated to spend a tenth of that to improve vaccine procurement, to stockpile medical necessities, or to even have a pandemic plan. We happen to be at a period of elevated ignorance. Many places, America, UK, Poland, Hungary, Brazil, Italy have elected officials who do not respect or understand science, and they appeal to a mass of people who think education and the scientific method are afterthoughts. Obviously a movement this large isn't "stupid" because so many people buy in but it does have an effect on the advancement of science and technology. All of a sudden, people want science to fix this thing because their lives are temporarily disrupted, or their STRONG leader suddenly can't lie their way out of it. Science requires development and time...we certainly could have a faster vaccine at this point if we had invested billions to develop a universal system. Just thank everything this isn't the 1918 variant that kills 3% of all people between the ages of 5-45...
The Trump administration has made many missteps leading up to Covid-19 and its response to it after. It is a bit naive and humanly arrogant, though, to think that we could have had a vaccine ready for this. There are estimates of 5000+ coronaviruses naturally circulating in bat populations. Predicting which one(s) is going to make the jump to humans is nearly impossible. We can't even do that for influenza and we've been vaccinating against that for a long time. Unless we start making vaccines for every new virus we discover, there is no way of guaranteeing that we will have vaccines ready. As @dinglefritz et al. have been saying for weeks, it's about retooling the bureaucracy to enable faster response so we can rapidly develop vaccines. And it's about having leaders that recognize threats and don't minimize them because they are inconvenient truths that go counter to other agendas.

Last edited:

Have you sold your car and donated the proceeds to science or do you think its the other guys money that should do that

somehow that doesnt make sense to me - If I was tested today that does not mean I cannot get it tomorrow. Unless the entire population was tested all in a very short period of time, it doesnt matter imo.

I could be offbase here but I think people are putting too much into testing because its easy. The only way that has been shown to slow this down is limiting contact between people
The flip side is once you know you have it, you can isolate for 2 weeks and then a priori your risk of being (re)infected and infecting others is low. That allows you and lots of other people to safely go back to work.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
The flip side is once you know you have it, you can isolate for 2 weeks and then a priori your risk of being (re)infected and infecting others is low. That allows you and lots of other people to safely go back to work.
True and I would welcome that for myself but I am retired. The companies out here even now are encouraging workers to come in even if they are sick. Most of the under 40 crowd would not get tested as they think it doesnt hurt them and do not want to lose income. That might be a gross generalization but true in many ways. Think of the spring breakers do you think they would have gotten tested if available before they go on spring break if they thought it was going to interfere with their trip

I think he's done a pretty great job overall and I hope he reminds people for the next 7 months how he tried to warn us of the danger of relying on China so much. Turns out he was dead on balls accurate and it took a pandemic for people to take it seriously.

Have you sold your car and donated the proceeds to science or do you think its the other guys money that should do that
The guy thinks we should invest in science, so your reply is he should sell his belongings and donate all his money? That seems like a crazy response.

Press making more out of lack of testing than anyone just to complain. I think Gov Cuomo made a good point today. We need to get more tests done on people who have it and recovered. This might help find natural antibody. Plus they can get back to work especially if in medical field.

Nebraska is doing it logically as well. Using prioritized testing for medical, first responder types etc. If you're not feeling well stay home. If you're sick you're sick. I don't think testing if you feel fine idea good use of kits or people's time and lab use

The guy thinks we should invest in science, so your reply is he should sell his belongings and donate all his money? That seems like a crazy response.
No I believe there should be an investment and we do to an extent. My point was hindsight is always easy try telling the public to invest in research to avoid something that may happen or may happen in 20 years. Its a tough sell. According to that we should be pouring money into meteorite deflection or studying how we can stop yellowstone from exploding. You cannot stop everything and cannot protect everyone from everything

Press making more out of lack of testing than anyone just to complain. I think Gov Cuomo made a good point today. We need to get more tests done on people who have it and recovered. This might help find natural antibody. Plus they can get back to work especially if in medical field.

Nebraska is doing it logically as well. Using prioritized testing for medical, first responder types etc. If you're not feeling well stay home. If you're sick you're sick. I don't think testing if you feel fine idea good use of kits or people's time and lab use
They just stated in the press conference that the US has tested more individuals in the last 8 days than Korea did in 8 weeks

Or wasted PPE on the worried well

Trust me I would love to know - I am 65 with heart disease - but if I was tested I know that takes away from someone else. Also if I tested negative or positive it would not change what I am doing right now .. staying in my home and paying attention to any symptoms.

Trust me I would love to know - I am 65 with heart disease - but if I was tested I know that takes away from someone else. Also if I tested negative or positive it would not change what I am doing right now .. staying in my home and paying attention to any symptoms.
You're doing it right. Also, if you get symptoms call your doctor immediately. In the etc part I should have mentioned the high risk people. Which you probably fit that category. Stay safe and healthy

Hydrocloroquine
Azithro
Zinc
combo working wonders in NYC
I've heard from someone working in an ER in NYC that they're using the drugs but that they're far from working wonders. Anecdotally, they're not seeing much of an effect. Safe dosing of the drugs in humans appears to be too low to have an effect against the virus.

I've heard from someone working in an ER in NYC that they're using the drugs but that they're far from working wonders. Anecdotally, they're not seeing much of an effect. Safe dosing of the drugs in humans appears to be too low to have an effect against the virus.
Interesting. Wonder what dosage, timing others are using.
Zinc stops the replication process
Hydrochloroquine forces the zinc into the cells
Azithro kills opportunistic bacteria.

Didn't know about the azithro. Makes sense because isn't it a type of myocin?? I don't take any medications or vitamins but I did start using zinc around the first of February. Only reason I did it was because I know elevating zinc levels in livestock has a profound effect on immune systems and virals.

I was surprised to see where I picked mine up last month, didn't have any on the shelf as I walked by the other day. Didn't spend much time looking since I still have some but I will look harder next time

Didn't know about the azithro. Makes sense because isn't it a type of myocin?? I don't take any medications or vitamins but I did start using zinc around the first of February. Only reason I did it was because I know elevating zinc levels in livestock has a profound effect on immune systems and virals.

I was surprised to see where I picked mine up last month, didn't have any on the shelf as I walked by the other day. Didn't spend much time looking since I still have some but I will look harder next time
yeah. Zithro is Azithromyocin. Very powerful antibiotic.

I don't take zinc but I do eat ton of foods that are rich in zinc.

Reactions: huskerfan66

It's very interesting. I don't have time to fact check them, but I think that is what the population is starting to think. My job has stayed open the entire time and people who once were pretty nervous about the virus are lightening up a ton. Still plenty of damage that could be done, but yeah it seems some of the stats getting thrown around are pretty skewed into a doomsday senario.

Zinc stopping the replication process in vitro is a lot different than stopping it in the body. It isn't as simple as you make it sound. What most practitioners would say about the drug cocktail being given is that it is adjunct therapy. It doesn't cure the disease so much as it supports the immune system and prevents secondary bacterial infections from overwhelming the patient. The other consideration is that ALL of those things taken in inappropriate amounts can cause great harm.

Reactions: jrhuskerdad
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT