ADVERTISEMENT

Coming to a Crossroads..

NikkiSixx

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 14, 2013
So I had some thoughts brewing..

How Scott could take the next 4 games, and play a new QB, one with the highest ceiling.. that one being Haarberg, and getting the system switched, into something that works in the Big Ten. Big Linemen, pro style offense, control the ball, control the clock. No more of this running QB garbage that when the starter gets dinged up your offense falls apart (Like we saw yesterday). We have heard the stories how much the staff really likes Smothers, but the kid is still a run first athlete playing QB who has marginal passing skills, maybe those similar to Frost himself, who was successful here, muddying up the waters even more.

I don't trust Scott in player management issues. It's as if the athlete side of him blinds his vision from a logical standpoint. Loyalty to his QB above all.. even the University he claims to love, as it is relentless thrashed the past 4 years in the media. The laughing stock of college football. Not even a respectful mouth shut approach exists anymore, but outright laughing at the program for years now.. the damage insufferable to the fan base.

I thought maybe he could just start over, call it a new 4 game mini season, put Haarberg in there and you can play Logan some too, but I realize that Scott will never do this. He is going to go down with Adrian. And even if he did make a change, he's going to go with his current #2, which could be a repeat of all this same hell we have seen unfold with 4 years of AM. Blind loyalty to certain players, Scott wanting to be seen as one of them, and not Scott the professional head coach, running a business. A very lucrative one at that.

Somethings gotta give here, and when Scott had things his way, we saw little improvement, except for the defensive side of the ball, which did improve.

Enter a new AD, and new Chef in the kitchen, we saw some pressure and a legitimate improvement, for 3-4 weeks on offense. The high pressure, resulting in running the engine at wide open, for weeks on end.. until you realize it isn't sustainable. That example can be used in life too.. when you run your life too close to the margin, things happen, and there is no more margin for error, and all it takes is one little thing to throw your life off track. It's better to run that motor, (your business, your life, your sports team) between 75-100%.. trying to average things in the 80s somewhere where you like it Giving yourself decent efficiency, but then you're also able to sustain some bad luck in the margin too.

So here we are, and we wonder what to do with this mess.

The reality is, Scott isn't/wasn't ready for this job. Whether it is Osborne up in the stands, ghosts from his playing days, the immense fishbowl here.. Scott has not been, and continues not to be ready or able for this type of job.

Now maybe the AD can help with this. But doesn't it feel like Bo all over again in that regard? You have to try to mentor the guy you're paying millions to, so he can help grow into the position? Ughh.

(I wrote another 2 paragraphs of excuses that I just had to delete)

This has to stop. I thought maybe, there is this or that or.. and I realize I'm bargaining here.

At some point, the fans, the administration, the players will hit a crossroads.

We don't have much looking up in recruiting.. the early goodwill of Scott's arrival is long gone.

How long will some of the assistants stick around?

I don't mean the ones we want to get rid of, but I'm talking about the more valuable staff.. certainly they have to be thinking about their own personal exit strategy by now.

I don't think you can let is start disintegrating like that.

I am positive that is not Trev's style or desire.

We are pretty close to a crossroads here, and I don't see any viable solution that keeps Scott Frost in his job.

Trev needs to be proactive. We have some good talent, we have some good coaches and staff. Do we have anyone who could take over in the interim? What do things look like outside the program that Trev privately knows. Can he put a plan in place to keep things from unraveling in December?

We have to make a turn in the road and it's coming up pretty quickly.

my .02 GBR

There is only one problem in Lincoln. Until that is fixed, we are stuck with what we have. This isn’t a player talent issue or even a system issue to me. They have done well recruiting and bring players along.

When your head coach is the one stepping all over his dick week in and week out, season in season out with the same exact stupid decisions from his first games here, to his inability to man manage his recruits to stay, to dealing with with his system in B1G.

What is the end game? Do you honestly believe he is going to wake up tomorrow a better coach? He isn’t learning or growing in any measurable fashion.

Pretty sure if SF started Haarberg for the next four games he gets fired. Its more likely he'll lose by wider margins with the fresh out of HS - probably barely knows the playbook - QB.

I got the feeling that even if he loses the next 4 close by keeping Adrian in he keeps his job. Very skeptical HCSF get fired this season unless the wheels completely fall off the bus.

I think he'll lose by a wider margin putting in HS player...

GO BIG RED!!!

Reactions: JOHNNY N
Pretty sure if SF started Haarberg for the next four games he gets fired. Its more likely he'll lose by wider margins with the fresh out of HS - probably barely knows the playbook - QB.

I got the feeling that even if he loses the next 4 close by keeping Adrian in he keeps his job. Very skeptical HCSF get fired this season unless the wheels completely fall off the bus.

GO BIG RED!!!
If I'm not mistaken, AM did not play as a Senior in High School, came to Nebraska. Played spring and fall ball and was named the starter in Game 1 as a true Freshman.

He promptly led NU to an 0-6 start.

Losing 6 in a row didn't cause SF to bench him, so Haarberg can start and lose 4 games and still not break AM and SF's precedence.

I'm not suggesting that SF will start Haarberg, but the kid does have 4 games to burn and still be a redshirt. If AM shows up for the Purdue game with his jaw wired shut and and orthopedic boot on his foot, that's your starter.

As the #2 guy, or #3 guy, that has to instill confidence going forward, especially if AM decides to return next year.

The idea of changing our offense under Frost is silly. You might as well advocate to wear blue uniforms because they're equally likely to happen.

I'd say our offense is too qb focused, without proper depth....
and special teams have been forgotten, without proper depth...

them 2 things have been the biggest problems.
without them 2 problems we probably have 2 defeats at absolute worse...

dr. tom's world didn't fall apart when frazier went down.
and your talking about losing a mvp of alot of NC games.

on a side note I don't recall many I-backs stumbling because a qb handed them a ball. whew....

Last edited:

How Scott could take the next 4 games, and play a new QB, one with the highest ceiling.. that one being Haarberg, and getting the system switched, into something that works in the Big Ten. Big Linemen, pro style offense, control the ball, control the clock. No more of this running QB garbage that when the starter gets dinged up your offense falls apart (Like we saw yesterday). We have heard the stories how much the staff really likes Smothers, but the kid is still a run first athlete playing QB who has marginal passing skills, maybe those similar to Frost himself, who was successful here, muddying up the waters even more.

I don't trust Scott in player management issues. It's as if the athlete side of him blinds his vision from a logical standpoint. Loyalty to his QB above all.. even the University he claims to love, as it is relentless thrashed the past 4 years in the media. The laughing stock of college football. Not even a respectful mouth shut approach exists anymore, but outright laughing at the program for years now.. the damage insufferable to the fan base.

I thought maybe he could just start over, call it a new 4 game mini season, put Haarberg in there and you can play Logan some too, but I realize that Scott will never do this. He is going to go down with Adrian. And even if he did make a change, he's going to go with his current #2, which could be a repeat of all this same hell we have seen unfold with 4 years of AM. Blind loyalty to certain players, Scott wanting to be seen as one of them, and not Scott the professional head coach, running a business. A very lucrative one at that.

Somethings gotta give here, and when Scott had things his way, we saw little improvement, except for the defensive side of the ball, which did improve.

Enter a new AD, and new Chef in the kitchen, we saw some pressure and a legitimate improvement, for 3-4 weeks on offense. The high pressure, resulting in running the engine at wide open, for weeks on end.. until you realize it isn't sustainable. That example can be used in life too.. when you run your life too close to the margin, things happen, and there is no more margin for error, and all it takes is one little thing to throw your life off track. It's better to run that motor, (your business, your life, your sports team) between 75-100%.. trying to average things in the 80s somewhere where you like it Giving yourself decent efficiency, but then you're also able to sustain some bad luck in the margin too.

The reality is, Scott isn't/wasn't ready for this job. Whether it is Osborne up in the stands, ghosts from his playing days, the immense fishbowl here.. Scott has not been, and continues not to be ready or able for this type of job.

Now maybe the AD can help with this. But doesn't it feel like Bo all over again in that regard? You have to try to mentor the guy you're paying millions to, so he can help grow into the position? Ughh.

This has to stop. I thought maybe, there is this or that or.. and I realize I'm bargaining here.

We don't have much looking up in recruiting.. the early goodwill of Scott's arrival is long gone.

I don't mean the ones we want to get rid of, but I'm talking about the more valuable staff.. certainly they have to be thinking about their own personal exit strategy by now.

We are pretty close to a crossroads here, and I don't see any viable solution that keeps Scott Frost in his job.

Trev needs to be proactive. We have some good talent, we have some good coaches and staff. Do we have anyone who could take over in the interim? What do things look like outside the program that Trev privately knows. Can he put a plan in place to keep things from unraveling in December?

my .02 GBR
You got a lot off your chest. It should make you feel a little better at least.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
If I'm not mistaken, AM did not play as a Senior in High School, came to Nebraska. Played spring and fall ball and was named the starter in Game 1 as a true Freshman.

He promptly led NU to an 0-6 start.

Losing 6 in a row didn't cause SF to bench him, so Haarberg can start and lose 4 games and still not break AM and SF's precedence.

I'm not suggesting that SF will start Haarberg, but the kid does have 4 games to burn and still be a redshirt. If AM shows up for the Purdue game with his jaw wired shut and and orthopedic boot on his foot, that's your starter.

As the #2 guy, or #3 guy, that has to instill confidence going forward, especially if AM decides to return next year.
I think SF liked AMs ability to scramble over the others in his inaugural season if I had to guess.

Also SF had ~7 years at that point it seemed from the "long runway" Moos was talking about giving him. So losing in that season was kinda expected until he could get his stuff installed. Switching to Haarberg now and possibly losing the rest of the way by multiple scores at this juncture with an AD that didn't hire him and a sub .500 record in year 4 might put more pressure on his boss to can him.

Let's say your goal is to beat Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio State and if you don't to keep it as close as possible and your life is on the line to accomplish that, do you go with Adrian or Haarberg? You know what you have with Adrian.

Let's say your goal is to beat Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio State ,......... do you go with Adrian or Haarberg?

Martinez has one win combined against those teams all time.

The only good win during the Scott Frost era came with Martinez on the bench.

The premise is that the season is already lost. You would start preparing for next year by using the remaining games to baptize players for next year. There is not going to be a bowl game this year. I figured I didn't need to say this, but is seems a couple of people are thinking in terms of winning this year with next years players. Yes it is possible, but that wasn't what I was thinking. I'm saying to save your bacon, you start fresh with the idea of prepping for next year with a different offensive starting cast. Don't worry, Frost won't do this.. he is too stubborn and he will tell you that "it's going to happen" except it's not.. this is a futile effort.

As a former college player and coach, I will never understand why you have hitched yourself to one player. Frost has had plenty of time to bring in someone else that can run his system better. I will never be able to wrap my mind around that. I understand loyalty and admire it, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks Haarberg would have survived this mess is not living in reality. Arm or not arm, he doesn't know how to read a D, can't know the playbook and all of the options, is playing behind a less than well oiled O line, doesn't have a running game to fall back on but yet since he is the all star in waiting with only a stint against backups in our own spring game, he is the darling but yet, he is certainly the answer. He yet may be, but I am not ready to anoint him based on such a small sample size. I seem to recall many clamoring for that other guy last year, how did that turn out?

I think the bigger crime in all this is we are in year 4 of this magical mystery tour and we have areas that look like we haven't recruited for in years and are caught with our pants down.

Further, what makes anyone think we can all the sudden run the ball if we go to a run first O? We can't make the most basic blocks but yet we can now just all of a sudden power our way to a grind it out running game?

Anyone who thinks Haarberg would have survived this mess is not living in reality. Arm or not arm, he doesn't know how to read a D, can't know the playbook and all of the options, is playing behind a less than well oiled O line, doesn't have a running game to fall back on but yet since he is the all star in waiting with only a stint against backups in our own spring game, he is the darling but yet, he is certainly the answer. He yet may be, but I am not ready to anoint him based on such a small sample size. I seem to recall many clamoring for that other guy last year, how did that turn out?

I think the bigger crime in all this is we are in year 4 of this magical mystery tour and we have areas that look like we haven't recruited for in years and are caught with our pants down.

Further, what makes anyone think we can all the sudden run the ball if we go to a run first O? We can't make the most basic blocks but yet we can now just all of a sudden power our way to a grind it out running game?
BS!!!!! Freshman QBs enter games all the time and do just fine. Williams at OU? True freshman. Oh, and Martinez is a four-year starter and isn't good at reading defenses. He is good at throwing it in the general direction of a receiver running wide open.

I thought this was a thread about the new real estate development at the former Crossroads Mall... The Crossroads! Looks like a shopping center with apartments...

The sad truth is that we may never see a Scott Frost led Husker team without Adrian Martinez as QB1. The two will have been inextricably linked.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
The sad truth is that we may never see a Scott Frost led Husker team without Adrian Martinez as QB1. The two will have been inextricably linked.
Frost hitched his wagon to AM at the start and was apparently content with him the whole time. AM didn't have what was needed and SF apparently couldn't see it.

Wow some of you come up with some crazy shit. AM is the best we have. Period. Just stop with the nonsense. It's a team sport and he didn't lose the game. Again.....on offense we can't run the ball . In the Big 10 that's a death sentence. If we had a good O line and a above average running game AM would look awesome. Frost is thawed , he's piss water and needs to be thrown out. No crazy changes will save his demise.

my .02 GBR
If we lose the last 4 and go 3-9 (real possibility), do you think Frost survives?

My mentor early in my career was a guy named Fred. Fred was a task master, tyrant and not real popular. But as he used to say, "I'm not hard to get along with, I just need perfection." I feared Fred because he had tools to punish me if I screwed up. Namely loss of responsibility (going down the depth chart), pulling me off good projects (getting benched), or berating me in front of other people (stadium steps). Fred, along with my parents and a handful of other role models made me successful in life, my career and the man I am.

I can't imagine running a business, a family, a school, or any kind of team where there is no FEAR of failure. I can't imagine my boss, my dad, my teacher, or my coach being a good ole boy buddy. I just can't. But maybe I'm old fashioned and things are different in the modern world.

Every player on the Nebraska team should fear losing his job if he does not significantly contribute to winning and/or contributes to losing. Even if the next man up is younger, less experienced, less talented, slower, smaller, etc. So I agree with the OP about going in a different direction at QB, but I leave it to the coaches to determine next man up. Smothers looked pretty good to me when he played against Buffalo and the team seemed more relaxed and peppy. And his passing seemed OK as well.

Reactions: REGPrimus
But doesn't it feel like Bo all over again
no, not at all.

there was a helplessness under Bo Pelini and Riley when we were being boat-raced by Wisconsin & Ohio State that probably caused my expectations to become jaded.

i'm a Frost defender as of today, that doesn't mean i don't want and expect better. this glimmer of hope in that we no longer seem to be getting embarrassed and can compete with top 10 teams on a semi-regular basis is simply shinier than anything we've had for decades. its really hard to let go what looks like slow progress when we've been burned by rebuild-after-rebuild.

if you could look into the future and tell me that Frost is going to have another bad season, then he's going to break through and start runnning through the West and compete for B1G CCG's, i would happily be a patient fan for another year or so.

Martinez has one win combined against those teams all time.

The only good win during the Scott Frost era came with Martinez on the bench.
I think it was agreed upon by Frost and the University of Nebraska, that upon hire, he was to be given a long runway to get this thing up and going. Hence the public statement by Moos as such.

3.5 years is not a long runway. 7 years is a long runway. Especially with as many out of the crazy box situations this coach has had like a freak lightning storm canceled first game and a pandemic.

A close loss is easier to get your guys motivated after than a 5 score beatdown I would guess.

This is just what I'm thinking. This isn't a vote of my will. I don't get one. But I do hope HCSF turns it around and succeeds.

GBR!

Wow some of you come up with some crazy shit. AM is the best we have. Period. Just stop with the nonsense. It's a team sport and he didn't lose the game. Again.....on offense we can't run the ball . In the Big 10 that's a death sentence. If we had a good O line and a above average running game AM would look awesome. Frost is thawed , he's piss water and needs to be thrown out. No crazy changes will save his demise.
Heis a spaz who has no competitive spirit and puts this team in losing situations.

Heis a spaz who has no competitive spirit and puts this team in losing situations.
No competitive spirit ? Now that's hilarious. Yeah he's up and down in his game. For all the good he does he always seems to have a bad play at a crucial time, but we would be worse without him. Sad but true.

Reactions: Sinomatic
No competitive spirit ? Now that's hilarious. Yeah he's up and down in his game. For all the good he does he always seems to have a bad play at a crucial time, but we would be worse without him. Sad but true.
That's on the coaches because any coach worth his check would have had his ass on the bench 2 years ago

We do need to start a different QB and see how that goes. Run the offense without trying to make it the Adrian show and get the ball where it needs to go. Start with Smothers. Kid seems to read the D quickly and although lacks arms talent, we don't need him to have a cannon. See if he has the moxy to win games. If not, plug Haarburg in for 3 games and see how that goes. At this point I really don't give a shit if we win another game.

Also, with the whole Frost deal, I still am a little bit skeptical about canning a him not because he doesn't deserve it, but just because we literally have ****ed up every hire since 1998. I do have more faith in Trev, but our coaching decisions all seem to be a huge debacle. I think I'm like every Husker fan where I am just beat down and just hoping something can go right for once.

Reactions: maplesyrup95

GO BIG RED!!!
smothers need a shot

We do need to start a different QB and see how that goes. Run the offense without trying to make it the Adrian show and get the ball where it needs to go. Start with Smothers. Kid seems to read the D quickly and although lacks arms talent, we don't need him to have a cannon. See if he has the moxy to win games. If not, plug Haarburg in for 3 games and see how that goes. At this point I really don't give a shit if we win another game.

Also, with the whole Frost deal, I still am a little bit skeptical about canning a him not because he doesn't deserve it, but just because we literally have ****ed up every hire since 1998. I do have more faith in Trev, but our coaching decisions all seem to be a huge debacle. I think I'm like every Husker fan where I am just beat down and just hoping something can go right for once.
Maybe we should just give up football. Perhaps our AD can make that happen.

GO BIG RED!!!
You don’t think losing the next four so long as they are close losses will cause him to get fired? That would put him at 3-9 in year four with losses to Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue … teams we must beat and should beat. Plus, no way the next four are close losses. Ohio State will annihilate and humiliate us. And if we lose to Purdue, which I think we will, and then get crushed by OSU, we will be officially out of bowl eligibility and the wheels will come off. The heat on Frost will be enormous. All everyone will be discussing is Frost getting fired. Then we will go to Madison and get beat soundly by Wisconsin. Their offense stinks but they will pound it at us with success and their defense will force turnovers. Iowa game will be another clunker since by then the team will have lost heart. That is how I see it playing out. We MUST beat Purdue to avoid that scenario. And because we MUST beat them, we won’t. So yeah… we are at a crossroads.

You don’t think losing the next four so long as they are close losses will cause him to get fired? That would put him at 3-9 in year four with losses to Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue … teams we must beat and should beat. Plus, no way the next four are close losses. Ohio State will annihilate and humiliate us. And if we lose to Purdue, which I think we will, and then get crushed by OSU, we will be officially out of bowl eligibility and the wheels will come off. The heat on Frost will be enormous. All everyone will be discussing is Frost getting fired. Then we will go to Madison and get beat soundly by Wisconsin. Their offense stinks but they will pound it at us with success and their defense will force turnovers. Iowa game will be another clunker since by then the team will have lost heart. That is how I see it playing out. We MUST beat Purdue to avoid that scenario. And because we MUST beat them, we won’t. So yeah… we are at a crossroads.
I suppose it all depends on how we lose. Yeah I could see him keeping his job. If Adrian or some other players on offense get hurt but our defense keeps it close I can see TA keeping Frost until after next year....unless he all of a sudden catches fire next year.

So what if this team beats everyone but Ohio State, which would seem unlikely given history but a possibility given Nebraska's ability to play games close?

I think Nebraska has to lose by more than a touchdown from here on out to get Frost fired this year. If Chinander was his friend before and keeps the opposition stymied he's gonna be closer than a brother after.

I think the university and everyone in the program right now is a little hesitant to fire a NC winning QB native Nebraskan who had a huge job ahead of him upon hire and the U having made a commitment publicly for the long haul upon his hiring.

But...I'm just Joe Schmo and I know not a soul involved with the program currently.

Reactions: jsachisler
I suppose it all depends on how we lose. Yeah I could see him keeping his job. If Adrian or some other players on offense get hurt but our defense keeps it close I can see TA keeping Frost until after next year....unless he all of a sudden catches fire next year.

So what if this team beats everyone but Ohio State, which would seem unlikely given history but a possibility given Nebraska's ability to play games close?

I think Nebraska has to lose by more than a touchdown from here on out to get Frost fired this year. If Chinander was his friend before and keeps the opposition stymied he's gonna be closer than a brother after.

I think the university and everyone in the program right now is a little hesitant to fire a NC winning QB native Nebraskan who had a huge job ahead of him upon hire and the U having made a commitment publicly for the long haul upon his hiring.

But...I'm just Joe Schmo and I know not a soul involved with the program currently.
If he wins 3 more I think he stays. But go 0-4 and he is toast no matter how close the games. I am a schmo too who knows nothing. Just my best guess

If he wins 3 more I think he stays. But go 0-4 and he is toast no matter how close the games. I am a schmo too who knows nothing. Just my best guess
Yeah I mean that's a fair take, the old AD was fired and we all know what that usually means for a sitting HFBC...

The outliers in this case though are that he was "separated" quickly, quietly, and not much smoke beforehand. I've heard he hadn't even showed to work for a month, and not present for games and such. That's a different story I haven't heard for any other AD at any other school. But then again I don't read the news much.

What would really nail our nuts to the floor would be if some sort of sanctions come down for extra practices right between firing Frost and trying to pick up a new coach.

This team has played teams close but I get the feeling they are a 1st quarter implosion away from the coaches losing the team. Extreme? Yes. But this shit snowballs and I've seen it happen.

They have absolutely nothing to hang their hat on and it's going to get bigger in their minds every week.

Yeah I mean that's a fair take, the old AD was fired and we all know what that usually means for a sitting HFBC...

The outliers in this case though are that he was "separated" quickly, quietly, and not much smoke beforehand. I've heard he hadn't even showed to work for a month, and not present for games and such. That's a different story I haven't heard for any other AD at any other school. But then again I don't read the news much.

What would really nail our nuts to the floor would be if some sort of sanctions come down for extra practices right between firing Frost and trying to pick up a new coach.
frost will be here in 22

I think it was agreed upon by Frost and the University of Nebraska, that upon hire, he was to be given a long runway to get this thing up and going. Hence the public statement by Moos as such.

3.5 years is not a long runway. 7 years is a long runway. Especially with as many out of the crazy box situations this coach has had like a freak lightning storm canceled first game and a pandemic.

A close loss is easier to get your guys motivated after than a 5 score beatdown I would guess.

This is just what I'm thinking. This isn't a vote of my will. I don't get one. But I do hope HCSF turns it around and succeeds.

GBR!
Problem is if you have 3 or 4 wins in year 4 you are kind of off the runway and into the rough. Tough to get airborne from there.
Regardless of internal support, how likely is it that he can recruit players and assistants to turn this around?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT