ADVERTISEMENT

Coming to a Crossroads..

I'd say our offense is too qb focused, without proper depth....
and special teams have been forgotten, without proper depth...

them 2 things have been the biggest problems.
without them 2 problems we probably have 2 defeats at absolute worse...

dr. tom's world didn't fall apart when frazier went down.
and your talking about losing a mvp of alot of NC games.

on a side note I don't recall many I-backs stumbling because a qb handed them a ball. whew....
Tom Osborne had Brook Berringer in the wings. Whether Scott Frost has another "Brook Berringer" in the wings remains to be seen.

Reactions: redwine65
Problem is if you have 3 or 4 wins in year 4 you are kind of off the runway and into the rough. Tough to get airborne from there.
Regardless of internal support, how likely is it that he can recruit players and assistants to turn this around?
Yeah he better start scoring some touchdowns.

This team has played teams close but I get the feeling they are a 1st quarter implosion away from the coaches losing the team. Extreme? Yes. But this shit snowballs and I've seen it happen.

They have absolutely nothing to hang their hat on and it's going to get bigger in their minds every week.

This again? Sorry but posters on here have predicted Frost loses the team after every single loss for the last 2+ years. It is not going to happen. This team has a lot of flaws, but they have shown they aren’t going to quit.

BS!!!!! Freshman QBs enter games all the time and do just fine. Williams at OU? True freshman. Oh, and Martinez is a four-year starter and isn't good at reading defenses. He is good at throwing it in the general direction of a receiver running wide open.
I will quote you as saying "all the time" which is complete bull. Saban, who knows a little about football has openly stated for years he tries to avoid throwing a freshman in at QB.

So I guess our freshman last year was good enough as according to you they ALL are. Oh and they ALL didn't play at small Kearney as well. Got some more examples? Then throw in the fact we have a less than stellar O line, at least Adrian has some escapability and not to mention, we aren't exactly leading the nation in rushing as well.

For the record, when it wasn't fashionable, I was expressing concern on here that AM could not read a D. He never could and still cannot see the field well. We live with that. A true freshman would get killed in our O.

Edit: you lose all credibility when you compare Williams to Haarberg. Then, you have to ask yourself who is coaching each of them but let's go ahead and assume our QB coach can suddenly get a kid ready to play big boy FB.

Last edited:
Crossroads has been crossed, then crossed again, revisited, accepted and then justified.

I think SF liked AMs ability to scramble over the others in his inaugural season if I had to guess.

Also SF had ~7 years at that point it seemed from the "long runway" Moos was talking about giving him. So losing in that season was kinda expected until he could get his stuff installed. Switching to Haarberg now and possibly losing the rest of the way by multiple scores at this juncture with an AD that didn't hire him and a sub .500 record in year 4 might put more pressure on his boss to can him.

Let's say your goal is to beat Purdue, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio State and if you don't to keep it as close as possible and your life is on the line to accomplish that, do you go with Adrian or Haarberg? You know what you have with Adrian.
The thing is we've seen this show for 4 years now. Frost/Amart = a bad team. Losing is losing. At some point you cut bait. I have no idea why Frost does not seem to understand that winning football games is more important than whatever he thinks he is doing. So, why not try Haarberg?

There were also years where Osborne had London, McCants, Grant, Haase, Clayton and others that weren't able to win all the games like Berringer did.
However, even if Osborne had to play those guys, he would simply have them take snaps and hand the ball off to the running back or the fullback. He would still win 9 games per season even with a much simplified offense most likely. Remember 1994, both Frasier and Brook Berringer went down, Osborne had to play Matt Turman. He basically just had Turman take snaps and hand the ball off, and Nebraska still won all the games that Turman started in.

However, even if Osborne had to play those guys, he would simply have them take snaps and hand the ball off to the running back or the fullback. He would still win 9 games per season even with a much simplified offense most likely. Remember 1994, both Frasier and Brook Berringer went down, Osborne had to play Matt Turman. He basically just had Turman take snaps and hand the ball off, and Nebraska still won all the games that Turman started in.

He benched Turman for the guy with a collapsed lung

The thing is we've seen this show for 4 years now. Frost/Amart = a bad team. Losing is losing. At some point you cut bait. I have no idea why Frost does not seem to understand that winning football games is more important than whatever he thinks he is doing. So, why not try Haarberg?
For sure I see the same kinds of things. I agree that he needs to do the things that shift the higher chance of winning to his favor regardless of his mantra or what he may eventuallywant to do until he can withwhat he's got.

Such as the snaps last year: I think he could have had two more wins last year just by switching to the end over end snap until Jurgens got the spiral down automatic.

I seen him do exactly that with the ST this year. When Nebraska kept screwing up trying to return when obviously the anxiety was too much for our returners then he switched over to just fair catches and touch backs. Which I think is great! That shows to me he's learning and adjusting to what he has right now.

But he needs to start winning these games. And that also means these players need to push themselves to do their absolute best. Get rid of any anxiety and selfishness and any animosity that may be there against whomever and play for the team, everything for the team.

Contrary to public opinion, Osborne's offense was not that simple. Almost every formation could run 11 different plays from each one.

halftime of the Minnesota game would have been perfect, Adrian was struggling playing hurt it was the perfect opportunity to go with smothers or haarberg. Looking back at that game I totally blame coach Lost for the loss, evidently he has no confidence in either of the backups or Adrian is frosts love child or Adrian has incriminating pictures of the coaches

halftime of the Minnesota game would have been perfect, Adrian was struggling playing hurt it was the perfect opportunity to go with smothers or haarberg. Looking back at that game I totally blame coach Lost for the loss, evidently he has no confidence in either of the backups or Adrian is frosts love child or Adrian has incriminating pictures of the coaches
Smothers not playing has NOTHING to do with not having confidence in him by Coach Frost. Smothers will have all the naysayers eating words next year. Coach will not present the opportunity for Smothers to come in while AM is playing poorly especially if the game is close. I 100% believe that. No matter what!

Smothers not playing has NOTHING to do with not having confidence in him by Coach Frost. Smothers will have all the naysayers eating words next year. Coach will not present the opportunity for Smothers to come in while AM is playing poorly especially if the game is close. I 100% believe that. No matter what!
Ok, so I have to ask, why do you say this? Are you implying that HCSF is more committed to AM than he is to his own job? Or winning? Or does he just believe that AM give the team the best chance to win in that situation even if he's hurt?

Ok, so I have to ask, why do you say this? Are you implying that HCSF is more committed to AM than he is to his own job? Or winning? Or does he just believe that AM give the team the best chance to win in that situation even if he's hurt?
I don't think that Scott Frost knows what he's doing.

I don't think that Scott Frost knows what he's doing.
Well maybe, but I'm actually looking for some context to the statement. If he is implying that Scott would play a player because he liked him over playing a player that could help him win (and retain his job) that is interesting. Furthermore, from previous posts I take it FamilyMan has some inside knowledge but maybe I'm off there.

What has Coach done to make the statement or belief not be made?
My opinion is that his job is not in jeopardy this season and he knows it. Therefore, he isn’t going to bench AM. Smothers will only play if AM can’t play or if the game is out of reach.
Heck, he leaves AM in to score the 49th point vs northwestern. That took the playbook away from Smothers and only made it a run the clock situation. But hey, at least AM got his stats up really high that night for getting to stay in that long. That doesn’t do anything for our program though- NOTHING!

What has Coach done to make the statement or belief not be made?
My opinion is that his job is not in jeopardy this season and he knows it. Therefore, he isn’t going to bench AM. Smothers will only play if AM can’t play or if the game is out of reach.
Heck, he leaves AM in to score the 49th point vs northwestern. That took the playbook away from Smothers and only made it a run the clock situation. But hey, at least AM got his stats up really high that night for getting to stay in that long. That doesn’t do anything for our program though- NOTHING!
Ok, so you're stating an opinion which is fine. I was thinking you knew something that others didn't. I took it that you had reason to believe HCSF wouldn't play Smothers even if it meant NU would win whereas sticking with AM would lose a game. Fair enough, I just don't agree.

So I had some thoughts brewing..

How Scott could take the next 4 games, and play a new QB, one with the highest ceiling.. that one being Haarberg, and getting the system switched, into something that works in the Big Ten. Big Linemen, pro style offense, control the ball, control the clock. No more of this running QB garbage that when the starter gets dinged up your offense falls apart (Like we saw yesterday). We have heard the stories how much the staff really likes Smothers, but the kid is still a run first athlete playing QB who has marginal passing skills, maybe those similar to Frost himself, who was successful here, muddying up the waters even more.

I don't trust Scott in player management issues. It's as if the athlete side of him blinds his vision from a logical standpoint. Loyalty to his QB above all.. even the University he claims to love, as it is relentless thrashed the past 4 years in the media. The laughing stock of college football. Not even a respectful mouth shut approach exists anymore, but outright laughing at the program for years now.. the damage insufferable to the fan base.

I thought maybe he could just start over, call it a new 4 game mini season, put Haarberg in there and you can play Logan some too, but I realize that Scott will never do this. He is going to go down with Adrian. And even if he did make a change, he's going to go with his current #2, which could be a repeat of all this same hell we have seen unfold with 4 years of AM. Blind loyalty to certain players, Scott wanting to be seen as one of them, and not Scott the professional head coach, running a business. A very lucrative one at that.

Somethings gotta give here, and when Scott had things his way, we saw little improvement, except for the defensive side of the ball, which did improve.

Enter a new AD, and new Chef in the kitchen, we saw some pressure and a legitimate improvement, for 3-4 weeks on offense. The high pressure, resulting in running the engine at wide open, for weeks on end.. until you realize it isn't sustainable. That example can be used in life too.. when you run your life too close to the margin, things happen, and there is no more margin for error, and all it takes is one little thing to throw your life off track. It's better to run that motor, (your business, your life, your sports team) between 75-100%.. trying to average things in the 80s somewhere where you like it Giving yourself decent efficiency, but then you're also able to sustain some bad luck in the margin too.

So here we are, and we wonder what to do with this mess.

The reality is, Scott isn't/wasn't ready for this job. Whether it is Osborne up in the stands, ghosts from his playing days, the immense fishbowl here.. Scott has not been, and continues not to be ready or able for this type of job.

Now maybe the AD can help with this. But doesn't it feel like Bo all over again in that regard? You have to try to mentor the guy you're paying millions to, so he can help grow into the position? Ughh.

(I wrote another 2 paragraphs of excuses that I just had to delete)

This has to stop. I thought maybe, there is this or that or.. and I realize I'm bargaining here.

At some point, the fans, the administration, the players will hit a crossroads.

We don't have much looking up in recruiting.. the early goodwill of Scott's arrival is long gone.

How long will some of the assistants stick around?

I don't mean the ones we want to get rid of, but I'm talking about the more valuable staff.. certainly they have to be thinking about their own personal exit strategy by now.

I don't think you can let is start disintegrating like that.

I am positive that is not Trev's style or desire.

We are pretty close to a crossroads here, and I don't see any viable solution that keeps Scott Frost in his job.

Trev needs to be proactive. We have some good talent, we have some good coaches and staff. Do we have anyone who could take over in the interim? What do things look like outside the program that Trev privately knows. Can he put a plan in place to keep things from unraveling in December?

We have to make a turn in the road and it's coming up pretty quickly.

my .02 GBR
thank you for your thoughts, I will pass them along to coahc frost. I think you are on tosomethin

Ok, so you're stating an opinion which is fine. I was thinking you knew something that others didn't. I took it that you had reason to believe HCSF wouldn't play Smothers even if it meant NU would win whereas sticking with AM would lose a game. Fair enough, I just don't agree.
I made the comment last week after the Minnesota game. Fast forward to now after seeing our Purdue game. I stand 100% behind what I think. Once again, Coach Frost proves me right!
I wish I would’ve been wrong though!!!! Smothers definitely needed to at least got in for 1 series. No matter what Coach says about playing who gives us the best chance to win. I agree!!! But when that guy is playing poorly and continues drive after drive YOU put in the next guy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT