ADVERTISEMENT

Harper Murray Statement Released

Why is it that every time someone commits a crime and get caught red handed, they say that they "made a mistake" and they "take full responsibility for their actions"?

A mistake is when you miss a math problem on a test, or you use poor grammar when you write. A mistake is fumbling or dropping a pass, or missing a check call. A mistake is dating or marrying the wrong man or woman because you thought he/she was different then they are. What she did is mean, selfish, intentional, and something that she chose to do wrong. It's something that intentionally hurt someone else (unless you think stealing is a victimless crime). She knew exactly what she was doing and has not admitted to her selfishness or ego.

As far as taking "full responsibility" for her actions, how many of you here on this forum can with a straight face believe that had she not been caught or if people looked the other way, that she would be taking "full responsibility".

Finally, the best one is "focus on myself and get back to who I am". Sorry, we all know who you are. You're a thief who is likely that way because you spend so much time focusing on yourself. It's likely not the first time you have done this, just the first time you've been caught. It's going to take a lot more than a paragraph to make up for this to the 99.9% of people who aren't shoplifters.

If you "cheer" for her this fall, shame on you.
You might be overthinking this. She can recover and is probably not on track to be a prisoner in Nebraska penal system. Let’s move on.

if you take this thought process to its logical conclusion, there won't be many athletes you can cheer for.
Really? How many Husker athletes are shoplifters?

I'll bet there are plenty of Husker athletes I can cheer for who aren't thieves.

BTW, this raises an interesting point that rarely gets any attention. Sports fans, including Husker fans, primarily cheer for their TEAM and rarely cheer just for a specific player. How many times have you heard someone in the stadium say something like "boy, I sure hope Ty Robinson makes a bunch of tackles today"!
Overreact much? I get the point you are trying to make, but shoplifting vs. rape are two different things. Shoplifting is bad and stupid, but I can turn a blind eye to that and other petty stuff. DUI is borderline because bad shit can happen and I don't think you should drink and drive in this day and age with all of the other options available, but still many steps below rape. I don't think you would find a fan at any school that would say to keep an athlete after a rape charge. If they did, they can burn in hell.
One of the things in any debate that irritates me the most is when people can't separate themselves from the main point and the analogy.

For example, someone rips off a store and an apologist makes the broad based claim that it doesn't matter what they do as long as they win games for the Huskers. The claim is that no matter what they do, it's OK. Then someone raises the point that "no matter what they do" actually means "no matter what they do", including murder, rape, etc.

Then we get your response where you seem like you need to explain to me that murder and rape are more egregious crimes than shoplifting, as if I didn't know that already. You missed the point being that if you say "no matter what" it means just that.

Now, I haven't called for her to be kicked off the team or expelled from school because what she did probably doesn't rise to that level, but from what I'm reading in this thread, people are acting like she's this nice innocent young girl who made a mistake, so we're going to cheer for her. The reality is that she's a thief, and she did something that the overwhelming majority of people would never do, something that's mean, selfish, and intentional. She needs to at least suffer some consequences before we all start cheering for her again.

Why is it that every time someone commits a crime and get caught red handed, they say that they "made a mistake" and they "take full responsibility for their actions"?

A mistake is when you miss a math problem on a test, or you use poor grammar when you write. A mistake is fumbling or dropping a pass, or missing a check call. A mistake is dating or marrying the wrong man or woman because you thought he/she was different then they are. What she did is mean, selfish, intentional, and something that she chose to do wrong. It's something that intentionally hurt someone else (unless you think stealing is a victimless crime). She knew exactly what she was doing and has not admitted to her selfishness or ego.

As far as taking "full responsibility" for her actions, how many of you here on this forum can with a straight face believe that had she not been caught or if people looked the other way, that she would be taking "full responsibility".

Finally, the best one is "focus on myself and get back to who I am". Sorry, we all know who you are. You're a thief who is likely that way because you spend so much time focusing on yourself. It's likely not the first time you have done this, just the first time you've been caught. It's going to take a lot more than a paragraph to make up for this to the 99.9% of people who aren't shoplifters.

If you "cheer" for her this fall, shame on you.
mis·take
/məˈstāk/
noun

There is not an intent qualifier in the definition.

1. an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.

I'll bet there are plenty of Husker athletes I can cheer for who aren't thieves.

BTW, this raises an interesting point that rarely gets any attention. Sports fans, including Husker fans, primarily cheer for their TEAM and rarely cheer just for a specific player. How many times have you heard someone in the stadium say something like "boy, I sure hope Ty Robinson makes a bunch of tackles today"!

One of the things in any debate that irritates me the most is when people can't separate themselves from the main point and the analogy.

For example, someone rips off a store and an apologist makes the broad based claim that it doesn't matter what they do as long as they win games for the Huskers. The claim is that no matter what they do, it's OK. Then someone raises the point that "no matter what they do" actually means "no matter what they do", including murder, rape, etc.

Then we get your response where you seem like you need to explain to me that murder and rape are more egregious crimes than shoplifting, as if I didn't know that already. You missed the point being that if you say "no matter what" it means just that.

Now, I haven't called for her to be kicked off the team or expelled from school because what she did probably doesn't rise to that level, but from what I'm reading in this thread, people are acting like she's this nice innocent young girl who made a mistake, so we're going to cheer for her. The reality is that she's a thief, and she did something that the overwhelming majority of people would never do, something that's mean, selfish, and intentional. She needs to at least suffer some consequences before we all start cheering for her again.
I agree. We will see how hat her punishment is . If it’s only the spring match in Kearney. I will have little respect for Cook and the University
Leadership

You're talking in circles. You are the one that brought rape to the table with your response and then you close with you are not asking her to be kicked off the team or expelled because it doesn't rise to the level.... You are all over the place. I responded to a single post and not your entire lecture.

I think the decisions she made a stupid as hell, but I am not going to stop cheering for her to do well and hopefully get it together. If she keeps it rolling, yeah she would be hard to root for, but I'm not too that level.

You went to great lengths to point out that the problem you had with her is her selfishness, ego and disregard for other people. This describes a lot of athletes shoplifters or not. And you were the one that brought up cheering for a specific player.

Look, I'm not impressed with her off the court issues the past couple months and Cook would be justified in kicking her off the team. But I'm not quite ready to disregard her as scum of the earth as you seem to be doing. People do stupid things. Hopefully she deals with this earnestly and grows from it.

You're talking in circles. You are the one that brought rape to the table with your response and then you close with you are not asking her to be kicked off the team or expelled because it doesn't rise to the level.... You are all over the place. I responded to a single post and not your entire lecture.

I think the decisions she made a stupid as hell, but I am not going to stop cheering for her to do well and hopefully get it together. If she keeps it rolling, yeah she would be hard to root for, but I'm not too that level.
I'm talking in circles? The point of bring up rape is for one purpose only, to refute the "no matter what" comment. It's has nothing even to do with the Murray situation, just an overall response to the broad comment. When you say "no matter what" that means anything they do, anything.

As far as Murray goes, again, she probably will get a 2nd chance (or 3rd or 4th) and I don't care either way. My main point was that she did the standard canned response about how she made a "mistake" and "that's not who I really am". But the reality is that in all likelihood, this is exactly who she is, similar to most people who get into their 20s and still haven't figured out that you don't take what's not yours. She doesn't have the angle that she was in great need as she's a college student on a full ride with NIL and what she stole wasn't exactly bread and milk.

She's a thief. Maybe she needs mental or spiritual help, but she doesn't deserve to be cheered for unless that happens.

I’m guessing there’s not too much that she could have said that would’ve been satisfactory for you,@rgrachek. What would you have accepted?

The amount of sanctimonious bullsh!t being sprewed is palpable.

@rgrachek Lecturing the entire membership of a message board is probably not going to have any effect on future decisions this woman makes. If you want to have an impact on her future decisions, perhaps an email to her would be the path to take. That way, the person doing the stealing and driving under the influence can receive full benefit of your opinions and your gospel will not be wasted on the rest of us.

The amount of sanctimonious bullsh!t being sprewed is palpable.

@rgrachek Lecturing the entire membership of a message board is probably not going to have any effect on future decisions this woman makes. If you want to have an impact on her future decisions, perhaps an email to her would be the path to take. That way, the person doing the stealing and driving under the influence can receive full benefit of your opinions and your gospel will not be wasted on the rest of us.
Or, perhaps you can pound sand. Talk about sanctimonious bullshit^^^!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I’m guessing there’s not too much that she could have said that would’ve been satisfactory for you,@rgrachek. What would you have accepted?
I'd have more respect for her if she said NOTHING and just went about her business and paid her legal debt and whatever Cook dished out. Instead she's doing this messaging crap to repair her reputation. Unfortunately, as in most cases, it only makes things worse because of what nonsense these statements are.

"Go back to who I am". That's what got her in trouble to start with. Translation - I'm not really a thief, I'm an honest citizen who knows not to steal stuff, society made me do it.

I'd have more respect for her if she said NOTHING and just went about her business and paid her legal debt and whatever Cook dished out. Instead she's doing this messaging crap to repair her reputation. Unfortunately, as in most cases, it only makes things worse because of what nonsense these statements are.

"Go back to who I am". That's what got her in trouble to start with. Translation - I'm not really a thief, I'm an honest citizen who knows not to steal stuff, society made me do it.
So she's not supposed to try and repair her reputation? She's having a little bit of a bad time in life right now, but to my knowledge she has never been in trouble before and so going back to the time where she didn't make bad decisions is wrong? Jesus. You are on one today.

I'm sure she will survive just fine without the respect of a message board hero.

That’s simply not how the world works. You may have more respect for her, but there would be a crap ton of people roasting her for not saying anything.

The reality is, no matter what she does or doesn’t say, she’s got her work cut out for her. The court of public opinion is brutal, but can be overcome. She will still have the opportunity to go about her business, pay her legal debt and accept the punishment Cook doles out. If she doesn’t clean it up, these words are meaningless. If she does, these words are genuine.

The ball is in her court.

Reactions: dinglefritz

You would have really hated me in my late teens and early twenties. Lol

DUIs and shoplifting are mistakes that many young people make. They're high risk activities and you hope that they grow past that phase before they ruin their lives (or others). 19-year old brains operate differently then adult brains. Some people have less impulse control than others, especially at that age. No, it's not something you should just brush aside. But you don't need to ruin someone's life over something so petty.

So she's not supposed to try and repair her reputation? She's having a little bit of a bad time in life right now, but to my knowledge she has never been in trouble before and so going back to the time where she didn't make bad decisions is wrong? Jesus. You are on one today.
You mean going back to the time when she didn't get caught? You think that as a D1 Volleyball player on scholarship and probable NIL that she just decided it's time to start pilfering stores? You really believe that?

Let's just be nice to the sad girl who shoplifted, while there's all kinds of kids at UNL that have 3 things in common: 1) they have never stolen from a store, 2) they don't have a scholarship or NIL, and 3) no one on this board gives a rip whether they live or die.

Sorry for the no mercy thing, but because of the position she was in and the gifts she has, it's hard to show much mercy, unless your doing it just because she can hit a volleyball.

That’s simply not how the world works. You may have more respect for her, but there would be a crap ton of people roasting her for not saying anything.

The reality is, no matter what she does or doesn’t say, she’s got her work cut out for her. The court of public opinion is brutal, but can be overcome. She will still have the opportunity to go about her business, pay her legal debt and accept the punishment Cook doles out. If she doesn’t clean it up, these words are meaningless. If she does, these words are genuine.

The ball is in her court.
I disagree. If she just let it alone and did what she needed to do legally and with the team, this story wouldn't survive the next news cycle. It's just not that important, and the only reason I comment is because of the silly response and some people on this board falling all over themselves to be compassionate.

You would have really hated me in my late teens and early twenties. Lol
I don't know what you did, but if you shut up, went about your business, and didn't bother me with how you're really a great person, I likely wouldn't have that big a problem with you unless you really hurt someone.

I don't know what you did, but if you shut up, went about your business, and didn't bother me with how you're really a great person, I likely wouldn't have that big a problem with you unless you really hurt someone.
There is a lot of "I" and "me" in there. Perhaps you aren't nearly as important as you think yourself to be.

IF you had any sense at all you would probably realize that the decision to come out with a public statement wasn't her choice. That apology and any subsequent statements were written by someone within the athletic department and she was told to post them as part of the "punishment" phase.

You mean going back to the time when she didn't get caught? You think that as a D1 Volleyball player on scholarship and probable NIL that she just decided it's time to start pilfering stores? You really believe that?

Let's just be nice to the sad girl who shoplifted, while there's all kinds of kids at UNL that have 3 things in common: 1) they have never stolen from a store, 2) they don't have a scholarship or NIL, and 3) no one on this board gives a rip whether they live or die.

Sorry for the no mercy thing, but because of the position she was in and the gifts she has, it's hard to show much mercy, unless your doing it just because she can hit a volleyball.
You sound like the jealous type. Show me on the doll where Harper Murray hurt you.

DUIs and shoplifting are mistakes that many young people make. They're high risk activities and you hope that they grow past that phase before they ruin their lives (or others). 19-year old brains operate differently then adult brains. Some people have less impulse control than others, especially at that age. No, it's not something you should just brush aside. But you don't need to ruin someone's life over something so petty.
DUIs and Shoplifting are not mistakes and DUIs have resulted in a lot of innocent people being killed and hurt.

You have the gall to just characterize these crimes as "high risk activities"? I thought that these were things skydiving and Ultimate Fighting, not committing crimes.

Someone breaks into my house and steals my TV and $1,000 cash, and you call it a high risk activity. Were you the one behind the City of Chicago redefining convicted criminals as Justice-Impacted Individuals?

I disagree. If she just let it alone and did what she needed to do legally and with the team, this story wouldn't survive the next news cycle. It's just not that important, and the only reason I comment is because of the silly response and some people on this board falling all over themselves to be compassionate.
That’s fine, absolutely you can disagree with me. But that doesn’t mean that you are right. You are really coming on strong here as the only one who is right and everyone else is wrong. I disagree with that.

• Love
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
There is a lot of "I" and "me" in there. Perhaps you aren't nearly as important as you think yourself to be.

IF you had any sense at all you would probably realize that the decision to come out with a public statement wasn't her choice. That apology and any subsequent statements were written by someone within the athletic department and she was told to post them as part of the "punishment" phase.
You would have really hated me in my late teens and early twenties.

You were addressing me. I didn't think you wanted me to talk for everyone and I don't want to do that anyway. Your first sentence is a red herring.

I DGAF about what she did or said after. I root for her because she's smokin hawt and prolly looks amazing naked, its just a bonus she wears a Husker uni. I don't really care about volleyball or any other womens sport to be honest, and i've have been way to unperfect (understatement of the century) to take the stand you have here.
Harper Murray reading this …

schitts creek lol GIF by CBC

DUIs and Shoplifting are not mistakes and DUIs have resulted in a lot of innocent people being killed and hurt.

You have the gall to just characterize these crimes as "high risk activities"? I thought that these were things skydiving and Ultimate Fighting, not committing crimes.

Someone breaks into my house and steals my TV and $1,000 cash, and you call it a high risk activity. Were you the one behind the City of Chicago redefining convicted criminals as Justice-Impacted Individuals?
They are most certainly mistakes. I hear you, loud and clear. I just don't agree with you.

• Love
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

But she didn’t break into your house and steal $1000 worth of stuff. I think this is the problem. You are painting worst case scenario type stuff to fit your narrative. I agree, the DUI is more than just stupid, and there should be a consequence. But that’s not for any of us to decide what that consequence is. Others will make that call.

But she didn’t break into your house and steal $1000 worth of stuff. I think this is the problem. You are painting worst case scenario type stuff to fit your narrative. I agree, the DUI is more than just stupid, and there should be a consequence. But that’s not for any of us to decide what that consequence is. Others will make that call.
He went full retard and you never go full retard. That's why Sean Penn didn't win the Oscar.

DUI April 5th, theft early May, like the 3rd. The apology was delivered around May 20, last post on this subject was May 21. nine days later, @rgrachek drudges up this thread and says it would have just gone away without the apology.

It appears that you are the one that brought it back to the surface. I assume so that you can post all of your self-righteous bullsh!t.

In a month, after her court date, I will bet you will be back on here talking about it more and how whatever punishment doesn't sit well with you.

That’s fine, absolutely you can disagree with me. But that doesn’t mean that you are right. You are really coming on strong here as the only one who is right and everyone else is wrong. I disagree with that.
I never said that everyone else is wrong, just those who disagree with me. A key premise of having an opinion is that you believe yourself to be right, otherwise there's no point in expressing the opinion.

What do you want, for me to put a disclaimer at the end of every opinion I have, say "but I could be wrong"? If that's the case, then what's the point of having an opinion if all you're saying is that everyone is right.

Do you just want a little more self doubt in my posts? I can do that, I won't, but I can do that.

I'm talking in circles? The point of bring up rape is for one purpose only, to refute the "no matter what" comment. It's has nothing even to do with the Murray situation, just an overall response to the broad comment. When you say "no matter what" that means anything they do, anything.

As far as Murray goes, again, she probably will get a 2nd chance (or 3rd or 4th) and I don't care either way. My main point was that she did the standard canned response about how she made a "mistake" and "that's not who I really am". But the reality is that in all likelihood, this is exactly who she is, similar to most people who get into their 20s and still haven't figured out that you don't take what's not yours. She doesn't have the angle that she was in great need as she's a college student on a full ride with NIL and what she stole wasn't exactly bread and milk.

She's a thief. Maybe she needs mental or spiritual help, but she doesn't deserve to be cheered for unless that happens.
I got hammered and drove and told McDonalds they shorted us 5 Big Macs after cutting the entire drive through line (didn’t order to begin with). They gave us 5 Big Macs to get us out of there. All sorts of horrible things happening in that moment for me when I was in college.

Would I ever do anything like that today … absolutely not. Did 21 year old me and my buddies get a kick out of it … yes we did. Were we bad people - no, but we did stupid stuff and this fell in that category at the time.

I did get mental and spiritual help … by growing up. 20 year olds are idiots and don’t think like 50 year old people who already did stupid crap in their teens/ 20’s.

• Wow
You would have really hated me in my late teens and early twenties.

You were addressing me. I didn't think you wanted me to talk for everyone and I don't want to do that anyway. Your first sentence is a red herring.
I didn't write that you would have hated me in my late teens and early twenties.

How did she bother you? By making public statement?

DUI April 5th, theft early May, like the 3rd. The apology was delivered around May 20, last post on this subject was May 21. nine days later, @rgrachek drudges up this thread and says it would have just gone away without the apology.

It appears that you are the one that brought it back to the surface. I assume so that you can post all of your self-righteous bullsh!t.

In a month, after her court date, I will bet you will be back on here talking about it more and how whatever punishment doesn't sit well with you.
Again you miss the point, which is the posters here acting as if she's so courageous and contrite.

I never said that everyone else is wrong, just those who disagree with me. A key premise of having an opinion is that you believe yourself to be right, otherwise there's no point in expressing the opinion.

What do you want, for me to put a disclaimer at the end of every opinion I have, say "but I could be wrong"? If that's the case, then what's the point of having an opinion if all you're saying is that everyone is right.

Do you just want a little more self doubt in my posts? I can do that, I won't, but I can do that.
That’s fine, stick to your guns, but don’t get pissy when people disagree.

I got hammered and drove and told McDonalds they shorted us 5 Big Macs after cutting the entire drive through line (didn’t order to begin with). They gave us 5 Big Macs to get us out of there. All sorts of horrible things happening in that moment for me when I was in college.

Would I ever do anything like that today … absolutely not. Did 21 year old me and my buddies get a kick out of it … yes we did. Were we bad people - no, but we did stupid stuff and this fell in that category at the time.

I did get mental and spiritual help … by growing up. 20 year olds are idiots and don’t think like 50 year old people who already did stupid crap in their teens/ 20’s.
I don't think you were horrible (except for the drinking and driving part). Maybe kind of a douche, but not horrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT