ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado

This thread is the perfect example why I have no interest in playing Colorado EVER again. Not in pre-season, not non-conference, not in cross-conference, and not in bowl games.

The stupidity and internet-tough-guy nonsense that this game brings out in both sides isn't worth it.

I can't wait for this game to be over and we can move on.

Additionally, I also have no need to play Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas State, or Iowa State ever again either. I'm done with that.

This is what Coloradans do. They claim intellectual superiority for having been born in or having moved to the state. They do it with Texans, Californians, New Yorkers, and Midwesterners of all stripes, particularly Nebraskans.

I am 56 years old, and moved to Colorado from Florida in 1990, having grown up and gone to school in Lincoln before moving to South Florida for work. I spent 23 years in Colorado (1990-2017, with a four-year break in Lawrence, Kansas.) I made a lot of great friends in Colorado, of course, but my story is pocked with too-many-to-count unnecessarily nasty encounters with people infected with McCartney disease — an irrational hatred of all things Big Red.

My very first week living in Denver, I was riding my bike on the Cherry Creek Trail, wearing a Nebraska baseball hat. One of the very first people I came across yelled "**** Nebraska. We kicked your ass last year (1989)." I learned not to wear NU gear unless I was ready for some nasty comment or direct confrontation.

At a tailgate before the Mizzou-CU game in 2005 in Boulder, someone asked me where I was from. I was dressed neutrally, not having a dog in the fight.
"East of here." I didn't want to expand on it too much, having been the target of abuse too often.
"Seriously, where did you go to school?"
"At a university east of here."
"Where?"
"Nebraska. I grew up in Lincoln."
"Oh, god, I hate that place. I went to Lincoln once. It sucks."
Nice to meet you, too, young lady.

Last summer, at an outdoor fundraiser in Gold Hill for KGNU radio, I'm standing in line for the pisser, and strike up a conversation with another concert-goer about why we're here, what we know, the weather.
"You're from Lincoln? I'm so sorry. I'll speak more slowly." (Serious look on the dude's face.) He continued to make disparaging remarks about Lincoln (what is it with Coloradans' fascination with the aroma of Lincoln, by the way?)
I then explained to him that it was a city three times the size of Boulder and at a third the price, and that I was happy to be moving back to the Midwest (Iowa City).

Compare those anecdotes to my very first day living in Lawrence. I went to a real estate agent to arrange a tour of properties. The secretary noted that I was moving from Colorado (beautiful place!) and that I had grown up and gone to school in Lincoln.
"I love Lincoln! It's a great city."
Now maybe she was being nice, but not a single person in 23 years living in Colorado even grudgingly noted that Lincoln might not be the worst place on earth.

TLDR version: Coloradans are full of themselves, and those annual football beatings really embittered them to all things Husker. Go Big Red.

They learned from the Huskers. "Sal is dead, go big red". "Even Sal Picks Nebraska". A mob of Huskers attacking one of our players after a game (Drew Wahlroos). Yeah, classy, classy.
This is what Coloradans do. They claim intellectual superiority for having been born in or having moved to the state. They do it with Texans, Californians, New Yorkers, and Midwesterners of all stripes, particularly Nebraskans.

I am 56 years old, and moved to Colorado from Florida in 1990, having grown up and gone to school in Lincoln before moving to South Florida for work. I spent 23 years in Colorado (1990-2017, with a four-year break in Lawrence, Kansas.) I made a lot of great friends in Colorado, of course, but my story is pocked with too-many-to-count unnecessarily nasty encounters with people infected with McCartney disease — an irrational hatred of all things Big Red.

My very first week living in Denver, I was riding my bike on the Cherry Creek Trail, wearing a Nebraska baseball hat. One of the very first people I came across yelled "**** Nebraska. We kicked your ass last year (1989)." I learned not to wear NU gear unless I was ready for some nasty comment or direct confrontation.

At a tailgate before the Mizzou-CU game in 2005 in Boulder, someone asked me where I was from. I was dressed neutrally, not having a dog in the fight.
"East of here." I didn't want to expand on it too much, having been the target of abuse too often.
"Seriously, where did you go to school?"
"At a university east of here."
"Where?"
"Nebraska. I grew up in Lincoln."
"Oh, god, I hate that place. I went to Lincoln once. It sucks."
Nice to meet you, too, young lady.

Last summer, at an outdoor fundraiser in Gold Hill for KGNU radio, I'm standing in line for the pisser, and strike up a conversation with another concert-goer about why we're here, what we know, the weather.
"You're from Lincoln? I'm so sorry. I'll speak more slowly." (Serious look on the dude's face.) He continued to make disparaging remarks about Lincoln (what is it with Coloradans' fascination with the aroma of Lincoln, by the way?)
I then explained to him that it was a city three times the size of Boulder and at a third the price, and that I was happy to be moving back to the Midwest (Iowa City).

Compare those anecdotes to my very first day living in Lawrence. I went to a real estate agent to arrange a tour of properties. The secretary noted that I was moving from Colorado (beautiful place!) and that I had grown up and gone to school in Lincoln.
"I love Lincoln! It's a great city."
Now maybe she was being nice, but not a single person in 23 years living in Colorado even grudgingly noted that Lincoln might not be the worst place on earth.

TLDR version: Coloradans are full of themselves, and those annual football beatings really embittered them to all things Husker. Go Big Red.

I agree. Was born in Colorado, and lived there for 12 years growing up. They are a bunch of wanna be tough guys that have a superiority complex. I witnessed multiple times some of their fans getting worked by some Nebraska boys and it was glorious. It used to be hell to go to their games and deal with kids at school when Colorado did win, but thank god it didn't happen too often. Most are pricks, and deserve everything they get. Call me an asshole, but I've turned down some of them trying to tailgate with us just because they are POS. Can't wait for this game. I hope we can silence them.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I agree. Was born in Colorado, and lived there for 12 years growing up. They are a bunch of wanna be tough guys that have a superiority complex. I witnessed multiple times some of their fans getting worked by some Nebraska boys and it was glorious. It used to be hell to go to their games and deal with kids at school when Colorado did win, but thank god it didn't happen too often. Most are pricks, and deserve everything they get. Call me an asshole, but I've turned down some of them trying to tailgate with us just because they are POS. Can't wait for this game. I hope we can silence them.
I will say this about CU athletes, having had a few in my classes: Wonderful examples of student-athletes. I know that's not always true, and that McCartney's teams had their share of felons (we're not blameless, either), but the students and the student-athletes now at CU are wonderful people and generally don't have any animosity toward Nebraska. Hell, most of them are from California, hence my favorite moniker for the school: "Cal-Boulder."

That certainly wasn't too many times :p

There's more going on in the great state of Colorado than just corn, but there has been plenty of college football talk on radio, news channels, and in the city in general. CU is just one of 6 division I Universities period in the front range. A dozen professional franchises in the area also. It's a real community.
Personally, you're preaching to the choir there. Although, Colorado has 3 times as many people living here. Just a statement on why support for the CU program is different than NU.

Nah, CU fans are just Grover Dill from Christmas Story. I think they are funny, they try sooooo hard no matter whether their team is good or bad :p

Ooohhhh, it's IQ smack talk from a Husker. Now that's rich! Only NU despises CU and NU fans are the worst. Once you beat NU, their fans go full retard. EVERY team that has beaten you knows this which is why you guys are so hated. Sorest of sore losers. I've seen this board call KSU fans the worst fans. MU fans the worst fans. OU fans the worst fans. UT fans the worst fans. Even ISU fans the worst fans. It's hilarious. Simply insert <team that beat NU> = worst fans.

nduXs.jpg

So, I have been really looking forward to this game for a while. I think any arrogance or expectations for a win - on either side, are misplaced. I think both this year and next year are going to be very good games from a fan perspective. For all of the vitriol on this board about Riley, he did recruit very well, with classes over the last five years ranking 32, 31, 24, 20, and 21 respectively. If I am being honest, CU can't touch this type of track record, and we are only recently (as in 2017) back in the 30's But, as many have noted he (Riley) is a PAC-12 coach, and he recruited PAC-12 type players. It is weird. It is almost as though the NU AD was thinking that drawing from a different pool of talent might give NU an advantage in the B1G. But that conference is a smash-mouth conference, and trying to bring a speed/finesse passing game to that conference is kind of like bringing a knife to a gunfight imo. There is also the legitimate question about player development, and I don't think Mike Riley did a very good job, particularly on defense. Conversely, Mike Macintyre has shown that he can develop underrated players, particularly DB's. In looking at NU on defense last year, in spite of all of the talent, the number of 50+ point games NU allowed was surprising. I mean you gave up 54 points to Minnesota, which is RollingLaugh. This speaks to lack of player development.

Still, in terms of W/L record CU fans are not in a position to brag either. Five wins in only one win better than four after all. CU did put up great numbers against CSU, but then CSU blows, and might be one of the worst defenses in D1 football. So - again - if I am being honest, we really don't know what we have. What we do know is that Macintyre does know DB's, and pass defense, and CU's DB's are very solid across the board. No back-end of a defense is any good if you can't get a pass rush going, and CU seems to have some decent players in the front seven who can get a pass rush on. If I had to guess, Martinez will be lucky to break 200 yards passing. The other side of the coin is CU's rush defense, and CU has had trouble with running QB's. If I had to guess, NU runs read option all day long, with a few play action passes to keep the defense honest. Particularly considering the forecast calls for rain, I am thinking the teams that wins runs the ball the best. With NU's history of great o-lines, it is going to be a tall task for CU to stop the NU ground game. The wild card is Sophomore ILB Nate Landman, who had 16 tackles in his debut last week. Moving senior Drew Lewis to OLB to get Landman on the field will also pay dividends for CU in pass rush. In any event, CU's defense is better than many here think.

On offense CU is loaded at the skill positions, but our offensive line has been a consistent weakness. At WR CU has a legit six man rotation, with Soph Laviska Shenault leading the way last week along with KD nixon. I expect Shenault to get doubled-up all day in coverage, which leaves everyone else including Nixon and Juwann Winfree in one-on-one coverage. So, pick your poison. The addition of Kurt Roper as QB coach has changed the way Montez plays, and as a RS- Junior Montez has a lot of experience, and he can run. CU clearly has an advantage at the QB position all things being equal. At running back, while we lost Philip Lindsay, we gained Travon McMillian as a grad Transfer from Virginia Tech, who is a legit talent. Behind him CU has a mish mash of decent, but not exceptional players who can get yards if CU's line can open holes. However, CU's o-line has not been good in past years, and CU's success rests on the ability of our o-line to block your front seven. CU's o-line is improving - they seem to be much better at pass blocking, but just how much better they are remains to be seen. A rainy game day favors NU's offense over CU I think.

The last, but possibly the most important point is years in the respective system. I have no doubt that Scott Frost will have NU playing as a top ten team and for B1G conference championships in three to four years, maybe sooner. However, CU is game 1, in a new system with new coaches, AND you are starting a true freshman QB, who has never taken a live D1 snap. The advantages these facts create are something NU fans here are underestimating. This coupled with not having a game last week, is a huge issue for Nebraska. In terms of outcome, I think if it is dry then CU puts up 30 to 40 points on the black shirts, and the question then becomes: Can Martinez and company keep up - I don't think they can, not in this context. If the day is wet and rainy then the game becomes much more of a push, with NU having an advantage because of your o-line and the effectiveness of the read-option. Sunny day score: CU 38 - NU 24, Rainy day score: Pick-em, winner 24, loser 21.

Well...that is certainly a lot of words...saying not very much. Does your employer know you took a week off of work for that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT