ADVERTISEMENT

Colorado will need a new head coach

he's a fan of all teams and no teams

he travels the open roads of the midwest visiting venues

I wonder if he posts anywhere else or just here
I rarely post on other boards. Here by far the most, and that’s not often. I used to post on cyclonefanatic a bit, but the fanbase is a bit too fatalistic for my taste. But I do like their coaches and teams. I’m a lurker.

Is there another example of an FBS school hiring a coach without any FBS experience and being successful? The only one that comes to mind in Jim Tressel and that was a very different circumstance (15 years coaching an in-state team before OSU).

I get why people on this board don’t want Deion to succeed.

By every measure of a head coach, he is succeeding. Revenue/fan interest for Colorado has to be off the charts compared to last year. By all accounts the team is more talented than previous years. Opinions on his “culture” are merely that. He does seem to have a plan in place to handle NIL and navigate the landscape, which seems more than most coaches.

The only potential issue I could see is if his assistants can’t coach. That remains to be seen.

I’m really excited to watch Deion. He might fail, but from an outside perspective, his program feels a bit like the 90s Hurricanes and I think that’s pretty cool.

By every measure, he is succeeding? Sure if those measures are selling "Prime" merch and getting social media interactions.

I get it, you think he is a cool guy, you had his jersey as a kid, and you want him to succeed, but there are WAY more reasons to suspect this will not work than evidence it will. He has zero experience coaching P5 football and barely any experience coaching, period. He was an HS Assistant Coach three years ago. He doesn't even leave his house to do in-home visits. And is currently sitting 20 scholarships under the 85 limit.

I was rooting for him early, but all these "everything he touches turns to gold", "he's never failed at anything", "he will rake in 5-stars", "he was the best hire of the off-season", posts, and insanely emotional push back against anyone questioning this guy have got the best of me.

Is there another example of an FBS school hiring a coach without any FBS experience and being successful? The only one that comes to mind in Jim Tressel and that was a very different circumstance (15 years coaching an in-state team before OSU).
Fred Hoiberg at ISU.

I'm not a Deion fanboy, and as I said earlier I see him having limited success at Colorado. But the roster he took over was a total cluster#*&^ filled with DII caliber players. Of course he's completely turning it over.
Some of the best players are leaving… that isn’t good. This Neon Deon shit is stupid and he will be shitcanned in 3-4 years, only because they can’t afford to fire him sooner. He did hire good coaches but his act will wear thin at the P5 level… even for Colorado

Reactions: BleedRed78
By every measure, he is succeeding? Sure if those measures are selling "Prime" merch and getting social media interactions.

I get it, you think he is a cool guy, you had his jersey as a kid, and you want him to succeed, but there are WAY more reasons to suspect this will not work than evidence it will. He has zero experience coaching P5 football and barely any experience coaching, period. He was an HS Assistant Coach three years ago. He doesn't even leave his house to do in-home visits. And is currently sitting 20 scholarships under the 85 limit.

I was rooting for him early, but all these "everything he touches turns to gold", "he's never failed at anything", "he will rake in 5-stars", "he was the best hire of the off-season", posts, and insanely emotional push back against anyone questioning this guy have got the best of me.
Where is he failing?

I don’t think he’s worried about being under the scholarship limit right now. It’s actually probably a very comfortable place to be when shopping for recruits, but I don’t know for sure.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on why specifically Colorado is a good fit for Deion

Yeah Colorado seems about the worst fit for him imaginable. He's trying to bring Southern black culture to one of the whitest, most liberal/anti-religious places in college football, that is also located in a cold-weather climate. He should have went to South Florida or FAU, to cut his teeth there and work toward an SEC or ACC job.

The top recruits from the South are not going to go choose to go to Boulder and play against the likes of Utah and Oregon State and Washington State, instead of staying in the SEC and playing big-time football.

Where is he failing?

I don’t think he’s worried about being under the scholarship limit right now. It’s actually probably a very comfortable place to be when shopping for recruits, but I don’t know for sure.
The reality is you can’t proclaim this a success or a failure until the games are played. As a fan, I would be worried about 3/4 of the roster being gone this year. What are you replacing them with? How will they get along together? Maybe it all works out great. But there are no guarantees… He absolutely could be doing worse, but I don’t think you can proclaim. This is a success story either. We will just have to wait and see.

Chris Klieman
Good catch. Klieman was in his 50's when he was hired at KSU and had several years of assistant and head coaching experience, including four div. 1 championships. Even the few examples of coaches jumping to the FBS had much lower division experience and accomplishments. What Colorado and Sanders are doing is unprecedented.

Where is he failing?

I don't know if he is "failing", I haven't claimed he is; too early to tell. But proclaiming him a huge success at this stage is delusional.

I do think there are some huge red flags right now that I would be very concerned about if I was a CU and/or "Coach Prime" fan. And yes, being 20 scholarships under in May is one of them. If that was really the plan, they would have over-signed in the winter. Or maybe he doesn't have a plan because he has never done this before and is just trying to figure it out on the fly (which would be another red flag).

You said: "By every measure of a head coach, he is succeeding". What are those measures? And if they aren't actually football-related do they matter?

I don't know if he is "failing", I haven't claimed he is; too early to tell. But proclaiming him a huge success at this stage is delusional.

I do think there are some huge red flags right now that I would be very concerned about if I was a CU and/or "Coach Prime" fan. And yes, being 20 scholarships under in May is one of them. If that was really the plan, they would have over-signed in the winter. Or maybe he doesn't have a plan because he has never done this before and is just trying to figure it out on the fly (which would be another red flag).

You said: "By every measure of a head coach, he is succeeding". What are those measures? And if they aren't actually football-related do they matter?
It's like when Rex Ryan declared he won the offseason.

Reactions: headcard
Yeah Colorado seems about the worst fit for him imaginable. He's trying to bring Southern black culture to one of the whitest, most liberal/anti-religious places in college football, that is also located in a cold-weather climate. He should have went to South Florida or FAU, to cut his teeth there and work toward an SEC or ACC job.

The top recruits from the South are not going to go choose to go to Boulder and play against the likes of Utah and Oregon State and Washington State, instead of staying in the SEC and playing big-time football.
Agreed. I went to grad school at Boulder and taught there. I can almost guarantee that regardless of what happens on the field, the faculty, many students, and parts of the administration will go batshit crazy over the way Ponce Deion operates the program. It will be a circus, and I can also guarantee that some CU players will do stupid "Prime" things and it will cause a campus uproar. I predict it will make the Barnett hooker scandal look like nothing. He won't last 2 years in Boulder.

84 2022 players
- 64 transfers/graduates
= 20 remaining
+48 2023 class (19 HS players, 29 transfers)
=68 on the roster

I might have this wrong but Deion needs a net 17 more transfers by fall camp for a full roster. Cringe.
If Ponce Deion forms a PAC with his own money, filling those 17 spots with NIL "promises" should be no problem.

• Haha
Reactions: SkerInCo

Money generated for the school and fan interest. Roster sounds like it has more talent. He’s not going to have a problem filling the scholarships. There are no shortage that free agents and that pool is only going to grow in the coming weeks.

I guess I don’t see the lack of spots filled as any more of a problem than a program that overfills and forces players out.

He has turned CU’s negative momentum around in several aspects. That has been impressive so far, because CU was a real dumpster fire. If he wins big enough and quickly enough, he could build something special.

But if he doesn’t, things could turn on him.

Reasons to think it won’t be good at first:
Up to 16 starters not yet on campus
Spring practice didn’t help
Not good on the lines
No depth.
Other teams as/more talented unlike JSU

He’s relying on the portal to field a team. The problem is that the portal is filled with players who aren’t that good. Those that are good are looking for NIL deals. If you need to take 20 transfers at once, you’re going to take on some dead weight.

Money generated for the school and fan interest. Roster sounds like it has more talent. He’s not going to have a problem filling the scholarships. There are no shortage that free agents and that pool is only going to grow in the coming weeks.

I guess I don’t see the lack of spots filled as any more of a problem than a program that overfills and forces players out.

Not real interested in how much Prime merch is sold, that has nothing to do with being a coach.

As for the roster, guys like Edwards, Sanders and Hunter are definitely a step up from the skill people they had, (I’d love to have those guys), but they are also losing a ton, especially up front and we have no idea who they will get to replace them.

I’m not sure how you can’t see why having 20 spots to fill in the Spring is different than over signing in the Winter and could be problematic? When you over sign you are making the decision that this guy is better than what we have. In the Spring you don’t get to make that decision. You have to take these guys or be under the limit and you have no idea who will be in the portal. They may be worse than the guys you lost. Happened to us when we lost several contributors on the DL to the portal last year and we’re scrambling trying to find anyone left in the portal.

Some of the best players are leaving… that isn’t good. This Neon Deon shit is stupid and he will be shitcanned in 3-4 years, only because they can’t afford to fire him sooner. He did hire good coaches but his act will wear thin at the P5 level… even for Colorado
But the "best" players weren't any good - they were just the best of an absolute dogshit roster that was lucky to scratch out one win.

Now, I completely agree that anyone who thinks Sanders is going to round up enough talent to win 8 or 9 games this year is completely delusional - I don't see any way he'll win more than 4. But I would say exactly the same thing if he was keeping all of these transfers.

But the "best" players weren't any good - they were just the best of an absolute dogshit roster that was lucky to scratch out one win.

Now, I completely agree that anyone who thinks Sanders is going to round up enough talent to win 8 or 9 games this year is completely delusional - I don't see any way he'll win more than 4. But I would say exactly the same thing if he was keeping all of these transfers.
Well, the possibility of losing so many guys and replacing them with better players across the board is slim.
I expect them to be better this year and maybe next, but I bet his act wears thin. We shall see.
I hope we can take advantage and bring home a nice win this coming season.
After that, who cares what happens to them.
Oh heck, we play them next year too?
Ok, after that then lol

So far Josh Heupel is working out at Tennessee. Yet to be seen if he has staying power, but early results point to some long term success.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Well, the possibility of losing so many guys and replacing them with better players across the board is slim.
Actually, I think the chances of replacing them with better players are quite good.

The odds of replacing them with players good enough to get CU to a .500 record? Those are slim.

Reactions: Landomatic
So far Josh Heupel is working out at Tennessee. Yet to be seen if he has staying power, but early results point to some long term success.
What are you talking about Josh Huepel had experience at the P5 level as an Assistant coach and HC experience at UCF. Do you even know what FBS is .

The same could be said about the incoming transfers... Aside from Sheduer, Hunter, and the Kennedy kid from Bama, what are they bringing in??? Their higher ranked players like Horn and Traore could also be considered "the best of an absolute dogshit roster that was lucky to scratch out 1 (or in Traore's case, 3) wins..."

So is his plan to flip the roster this year and then build a culture and unity on the new players or is it just gonna be a massive revolving door of players every year? I just don’t see how this can work in CFB. The importance of building a cohesive team with leadership and unity cannot be understated.

To be fair, I think coach Prime stinks and I can’t stand all his self promotion and bullshit. Hoping they lose every game next year.

Good catch. Klieman was in his 50's when he was hired at KSU and had several years of assistant and head coaching experience, including four div. 1 championships. Even the few examples of coaches jumping to the FBS had much lower division experience and accomplishments. What Colorado and Sanders are doing is unprecedented.

Mid major coaches are hired all the time.

What's unprecedented?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT