ADVERTISEMENT

Chubba, Chubba, Chubba

I do think purdy could shorten some games for us

That 8 yard throw to kemp took almost a full minute of game time to get there
I don’t know where the “Purdy has a weak arm” narrative is coming from. I’ve seen Haarberg and a Purdy in practice and their intermediate throws aren’t much different.

Purdy threw for more yards in his senior year of high school than Haarberg has in his entire life. That didn’t happen because he lacks arm strength.

try the purd first. not much confidence from me, who knows?
get the freshmen ready and keep it simple. let the defense keep us close. keep a fb in, run the wildcat if possible.
time to move out of this piss down our legs box.

I don’t know where the “Purdy has a weak arm” narrative is coming from. I’ve seen Haarberg and a Purdy in practice and their intermediate throws aren’t much different.

Purdy threw for more yards in his senior year of high school than Haarberg has in his entire life. That didn’t happen because he lacks arm strength.
He supposedly dealt with an injured throwing arm most of last year and had surgery on it after the season. People are judging him based on a few weak throws from last year.

Reactions: scarletred
I want to see more of Purdy - possibly even the start. We should run the ball 30+ snaps but the defense will know with Purdy we can potentially hit a receiver on a given play. If we play HH we should go with an entirely 90s era option offense out of the I and stop fooling around. That will be a bit more of a challenge for Wisc and Iowa to prepare for since it's not used in the Big 10.

He supposedly dealt with an injured throwing arm most of last year and had surgery on it after the season. People are judging him based on a few weak throws from last year.
And his two lollipops on Saturday

I want to see more of Purdy - possibly even the start. We should run the ball 30+ snaps but the defense will know with Purdy we can potentially hit a receiver on a given play. If we play HH we should go with an entirely 90s era option offense out of the I and stop fooling around. That will be a bit more of a challenge for Wisc and Iowa to prepare for since it's not used in the Big 10.
Lost me at 90’s offense. We already incorporate some of that but we just need to run the same stuff we’ve run without the turnovers. We moved the ball well with Sims and Purdy. HAVE to stop having so many turnovers. That’s all

I really thought Chubba moved the ball the best out of the three QB's right up to the interception. He had some good passes, ran the ball well when needed and then the bad play call under pressure with no game experience behind him. That's on the OC, should have ran it and if not successful, kick the field goal to go up by three.

I really thought Chubba moved the ball the best out of the three QB's right up to the interception. He had some good passes, ran the ball well when needed and then the bad play call under pressure with no game experience behind him. That's on the OC, should have ran it and if not successful, kick the field goal to go up by three.
The game was two days ago

“Some good passes”

Pop up to kemp
Throw away
INT

That’s it. Is it memory loss? Selective memory? Willful ignorance?

I agree purdy should’ve never been put in a position to make a play

Reactions: WHCSC
1. Chubba
2. Woche / Longval
3. Haarberg / Sims

if ever there was a need to use your walk-on, now is the time.
Please for the tenth time take Woche off the list. He’s not here to play. He didn’t play for his high school team even. Rhule has taken guys in as walk ons who want to be coaches someday. Woche is a practice QB and nothing more. Longval can sling it. Not sure about Longval’s knee recovery though

Reactions: scarletred
Please for the tenth time take Woche off the list. He’s not here to play. He didn’t play for his high school team even. Rhule has taken guys in as walk ons who want to be coaches someday. Woche is a practice QB and nothing more. Longval can sling it. Not sure about Longval’s knee recovery though
Even the guy who’s not here to play is a better option than some at this point, so “no,” Woche is exactly where he belongs on that list.

in the history of college football, a team has had 3 different players throw an interception in the same game 42 times

only 1 player has been involved twice

He had a broken collarbone and subsequent surgery at Florida State. And was still recovering from that last season. He managed to get some playing time last year but then got hurt with the high ankle sprain. And now with the groin injury needing surgery again.

@King Kong (Ding Dong) is rooting against the guy, He is throwing the ball fine now and supposedly the rumor from practices is that he throws the ball better than both HH and JS.

If he is able to play barring injury, he is our best option regardless of what ding dong thinks.

He had a broken collarbone and subsequent surgery at Florida State. And was still recovering from that last season. He managed to get some playing time last year but then got hurt with the high ankle sprain. And now with the groin injury needing surgery again.

@King Kong (Ding Dong) is rooting against the guy, He is throwing the ball fine now and supposedly the rumor from practices is that he throws the ball better than both HH and JS.

If he is able to play barring injury, he is our best option regardless of what ding dong thinks.
assuming he starts, I would love nothing more than to see something on Saturday we've yet to see in the 4 years purdy's been playing college football:

a chubba-led win

When they say “groin injury” I would bet money it’s a inguinal hernia. He doesn’t run like a guy with the typical groin pull. Scrotal hernias are pretty common in athletes. They can be managed short term usually without surgery.

Last edited:
The game was two days ago

“Some good passes”

Pop up to kemp
Throw away
INT

That’s it. Is it memory loss? Selective memory? Willful ignorance?

I agree purdy should’ve never been put in a position to make a play
Who cares if it was two days ago!

The fact is, Chubbamarched it down the field, something the other two had difficulty doing. As for the interception, not all Chubba's fault, MC had the chance first to catch it but didn't see it (rookie). Under both HH and Sims the offense was erratic and had no flow.
Memory loss, hell no. For the little bit Chubba got to play, he moved the ball the length of the field. Is it you not wanting your declining golden boy not to lose his stating job.

When it comes to you, no one is allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours? HH had two interception at the start of the game. Lucky for him he got the one back because of a flag. HH was 1 of 5 passing for 0 yards and two rushes of 0 yards. Chubba was 1 of 3 passing for 24 yards with 3 rushes for 33 yards. In my book that's facts and the facts show Bubba moved the ball.

Who cares if it was two days ago!

The fact is, Chubbamarched it down the field, something the other two had difficulty doing. As for the interception, not all Chubba's fault, MC had the chance first to catch it but didn't see it (rookie). Under both HH and Sims the offense was erratic and had no flow.
Memory loss, hell no. For the little bit Chubba got to play, he moved the ball the length of the field. Is it you not wanting your declining golden boy not to lose his stating job.

When it comes to you, no one is allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours? HH had two interception at the start of the game. Lucky for him he got the one back because of a flag. HH was 1 of 5 passing for 0 yards and two rushes of 0 yards. Chubba was 1 of 3 passing for 24 yards with 3 rushes for 33 yards. In my book that's facts and the facts show Bubba moved the ball.
you said "had some good passes".

he threw 3, completed one. that's not disagreeing, it's correcting.

Haarberg played like shit. Sims played like shit. Chubba showed some guts before playing like shit.

stop making it something it's not.

you said "had some good passes".

he threw 3, completed one. that's not disagreeing, it's correcting.

Haarberg played like shit. Sims played like shit. Chubba showed some guts before playing like shit.

stop making it something it's not.
It's way more than HH put out, so it is. Chubba took us aggressively down the field and as for some good passes, it generalizing. Here, I'll be more exact, HH sucked and the injury saved his ass! Even Sims did better than HH. Listen, nothing would thrill me more than HH being the QB we need or either of the other two. The truth is, HH is getting worse each game he plays. The kid is playing scared in the passing game, running game and especially the option. He went from not pitching in the option to instantly lobbing the ball. I say lob because it's the farthest thing form a pitch., borderline shotput. Sims ran a good looking option play, rolled out and scanned the field and then pitched the ball when nothing was there for him.

Reactions: Gary.Busey
Can’t grow into double coverage in the end zone in that situation. Blame the coaches for not teaching these guys situational awareness.

Not to be too argumentative, but every QB since the 7th grade has been taught NOT to throw into double coverage, regardless of if in the end zone or at the end of the game. That is a QB problem, not a coaching problem. (There were several situations where a coaching decision was not the right call, but easy to pick those out in hindsight. No argument from me in that regard.)

For what it is worth, in hindsight it would seem like taking a chip shot FG would have won the game. However, as good as our defense played most of the game they gave up a 2-play, 69 yard touchdown drive at the end of the first half (and almost a second drive for a FG in the first half), and then about 80 yards of offense at the end of the game where Maryland had an easy FG try to win. I would have taken our chances to win if we get that FG, but trying for a TD was not completely wrong.

If I'm Rhule, I am vetoing any pass play on that last set of downs. Get three and play defense. Instead, the play caller dicked around and gave away the ball.
I agree I get the impression that he lets satt call the plays, so far he’s been terrible especially in the red zone Rhule needs to override stupid play calling

Not to be too argumentative, but every QB since the 7th grade has been taught NOT to throw into double coverage, regardless of if in the end zone or at the end of the game. That is a QB problem, not a coaching problem. (There were several situations where a coaching decision was not the right call, but easy to pick those out in hindsight. No argument from me in that regard.)

For what it is worth, in hindsight it would seem like taking a chip shot FG would have won the game. However, as good as our defense played most of the game they gave up a 2-play, 69 yard touchdown drive at the end of the first half (and almost a second drive for a FG in the first half), and then about 80 yards of offense at the end of the game where Maryland had an easy FG try to win. I would have taken our chances to win if we get that FG, but trying for a TD was not completely wrong.
The coaches have to work the probabilities. And the probabilities in that game said that all three quarterbacks were at risk for turning the ball over and putting the ball in the air was just a nonstarter. NU was inside the 10 yard line. The right running play to Johnson was the safest choice. And Jesus, if passing was a must, why not get Coleman and Fidone running the back of the end zone where it’s either a catch or the ball is going in the stands.

It wasn’t really double coverage. It was a 2 in 1 out against man and one of the defenders came off his man. The route Coleman ran didn’t look good but Chubba threw that ball before our WRs made their cut. Hindsight it was a poor decision but he shouldn’t have been put in that position.

I don’t like that play design. It draws too many defenders in to a small area. You have to be really precise.

The coaches have to work the probabilities. And the probabilities in that game said that all three quarterbacks were at risk for turning the ball over and putting the ball in the air was just a nonstarter. NU was inside the 10 yard line. The right running play to Johnson was the safest choice. And Jesus, if passing was a must, why not get Coleman and Fidone running the back of the end zone where it’s either a catch or the ball is going in the stands.
I don’t think we can assume though that if we run the ball 3 times and kick a field goal that we win the game. Maryland moved the ball down for a short field goal easily.

I don’t think we can assume though that if we run the ball 3 times and kick a field goal that we win the game. Maryland moved the ball down for a short field goal easily.
INT in the end zone took the wind out of the D & the crowd's sails

It wasn’t really double coverage. It was a 2 in 1 out against man and one of the defenders came off his man. The route Coleman ran didn’t look good but Chubba threw that ball before our WRs made their cut. Hindsight it was a poor decision but he shouldn’t have been put in that position.

I don’t like that play design. It draws too many defenders in to a small area. You have to be really precise.
Well the play isn't designed to have that many players in one area....that happens when one receiver runs a pretty shitty route.

Well the play isn't designed to have that many players in one area....that happens when one receiver runs a pretty shitty route.
same design satt called vs minn

same result

have to know your players

Kemp's route was shit, Coleman got jammed, purdy's throw was 4 yards short

last night we saw 2 4th and goal situations with QBs who can run, aren't the most accurate and are turnover prone

both times OCs called rollouts. both resulted in TDs - Allen ran it in, Wilson threw it in

we drop back with trips to the short side like complete dumbasses

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
How could he not be known the progression?
when it's man the inside guys draw defenders away from where the ball's going.

digs/hooks are used to isolate in the corner of the end zone.

basic stuff everybody does.

@JOHNNY N why is this funny?

Rhule literally said it in the post game presser
Who's laughing? I'm only talking about the play design vs. how it was executed.

It's a play that run countless times inside the 10 in football games played at about every level.

Who's laughing? I'm only talking about the play design vs. how it was executed.

It's a play that run countless times inside the 10 in football games played at about every level.
very basic design.

execution was dogshit at all 3 levels (Coleman, Kemp, purdy)

great coaching, OC. great play call, OC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT