ADVERTISEMENT

Chinander throws shade at Diaco

jlb321

Defensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014

diaco-1510349956.jpg

And I couldn’t agree more. Now that Iowa’s favorite head Coach Mike Riley is gone, they better be ready. Things will be changing soon (maybe not this year but will be soon enough).
Good thing Iowa’s recruiting has improved. Should be some meaningful games in the future.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Good thing Iowa’s recruiting has improved. Should be some meaningful games in the future.
I hope so. Unlike many on here I want Iowa-Nebraska to develop into an intense rivalry. It is a natural fit given our geographical proximity and cultural similarities. We are in the B1G to stay, OU is past history, and we need new rivals.

I am with Pennsy on this. I hope we both get better and play for all the marbles every year. I guess I don't understand why you can't pump your chest out when you have owned us the last few years. I am going to guess some on here will do the same when things finally turn around. To the victor goes the spoils. I don't subscribe to the "Iowa Sucks" protocol, you want your opponent to be good and beat them.

I am with Pennsy on this. I hope we both get better and play for all the marbles every year. I guess I don't understand why you can't pump your chest out when you have owned us the last few years. I am going to guess some on here will do the same when things finally turn around. To the victor goes the spoils. I don't subscribe to the "Iowa Sucks" protocol, you want your opponent to be good and beat them.
Very true about your last sentence. In our hay day, I remember it was a bummer when we played a team with a subpar record. There was a lot of parity with in the conference and then there was NU--OU.

Reactions: saluno22
I'm fine with any rivalry as long as it is earned and it means something. Playing Iowa for mid-table obscurity in a weak division is not my idea of a "rivalry". I'd much prefer a rivalry with whoever is in the east division playing us for the conf title every year or whomever we are playing in the playoffs every year.

If you are going to dream of great rivalries, dream bigger. OU/NU was that kind of rivalry where almost every year, playing for a NC was at stake.

I'm fine with any rivalry as long as it is earned and it means something. Playing Iowa for mid-table obscurity in a weak division is not my idea of a "rivalry". I'd much prefer a rivalry with whoever is in the east division playing us for the conf title every year or whomever we are playing in the playoffs every year.

If you are going to dream of great rivalries, dream bigger. OU/NU was that kind of rivalry where almost every year, playing for a NC was at stake.
Agree! When I think of rivalry I think of playing meaningful games between 2 good teams. Iowa more feels like an annoying little brother, who has been taking advantage of big brother being in a body cast the last 8 years. Time to put them back in their rightful place.

Recruiting has improved? Compared to what? Recruiting ranking the last 10 years.

based on those numbers, they started in the low 60s and ended in the upper 30s low 40s? Technically, that IS improved. Now let's see if If they can keep the momentum they got from their good season a few years ago, or if they gravitate back tot he upper 50s again.

based on those numbers, they started in the low 60s and ended in the upper 30s low 40s? Technically, that IS improved. Now let's see if If they can keep the momentum they got from their good season a few years ago, or if they gravitate back tot he upper 50s again.
Previous 5 year recruiting ranking average 46.2. current 5 year average 47.6

Reactions: SOHusker11
Just win. Things will take care of themselves. I have confidence.

Previous 5 year recruiting ranking average 46.2. current 5 year average 47.6
First 7 years in that range, 49.7, last 3 40.3. He said "has improved", so you can play the stats however you want.

Regardless, We need to worry about Nebraska, not Iowa. If we take care of OUR business, we should be in position to own the division every year.

First 7 years in that range, 49.7, last 3 40.3. He said "has improved", so you can play the stats however you want.

Regardless, We need to worry about Nebraska, not Iowa. If we take care of OUR business, we should be in position to own the division every year.
From a true statistical average the 5 year is the best representation of how they improved over a long term average. In this case 10 years.
Agree, that it doesn't matter what their recruiting is as long as Nebraska plays good football we should beat them every game.

Great ... another thread that pivots due to our obsession with Iowa. Honestly I’m beginning to think we are the ones with the inferiority complex.

You realize the "Iowa sucks" response is just standard protocol when any post remotely refers to Iowa, right? There have been some posts that don't even mention Iowa, but through 7 degrees of separation, there is some way the post could possibly remotely relate to Iowa...and someone slaps another "Iowa sucks" in the thread. I sorta get a kick out of it. It's good clean fun, and even the Iowa folks that come over have gotten into the joke by posting "Iowa sucks" in a thread on a few occasions.

You realize the "Iowa sucks" response is just standard protocol when any post remotely refers to Iowa, right? There have been some posts that don't even mention Iowa, but through 7 degrees of separation, there is some way the post could possibly remotely relate to Iowa...and someone slaps another "Iowa sucks" in the thread. I sorta get a kick out of it. It's good clean fun, and even the Iowa folks that come over have gotten into the joke by posting "Iowa sucks" in a thread on a few occasions.

Yes I do realize that and if left there I find it mildly humorous .... however for my tastes it too often deteriorates into a multi thread pillow fight about which is the more irrelevant program ... to the point where we are breaking down Iowa’s average recruiting rank dating back a decade

To each his own ....I guess it is a humorous way to deflect the fact that they currently own us .. personally I don’t see why we would want to go out of our way bring up the fact they have kicked our ass in recent years ... it would be like looking for any connection to Ohio State and then posting the combined score from the past 2 years. 118-17 .... hilarious

Yes I do realize that and if left there I find it mildly humorous .... however for my tastes it too often deteriorates into a multi thread pillow fight about which is the more irrelevant program ... to the point where we are breaking down Iowa’s average recruiting rank dating back a decade

To each his own ....I guess it is a humorous way to deflect the fact that they currently own us .. personally I don’t see why we would want to go out of our way bring up the fact they have kicked our ass in recent years ... it would be like looking for any connection to Ohio State and then posting the combined score from the past 2 years. 118-17 .... hilarious

Meh, I don't think anyone takes it too seriously. Even the Iowa fans that come over aren't offended by it, because they know we're just screwing around.

I think they are well aware that with Riley leaving, the blowouts of Nebraska are going to be a thing of the past. Sh*t's about to get real.

Exactly. We're a much better football program overall. Fix ourselves and we should rule over Iowa and actually take over Wisconsin as the dominant power in the west. Frost has set this all into motion!

Great ... another thread that pivots due to our obsession with Iowa. Honestly I’m beginning to think we are the ones with the inferiority complex.
Our success, or lack thereof, and Iowa’s success, or lack thereof, should have no bearing on Iowa sucking, or the fan-base posting that Iowa sucks. When NU gets passed this ridiculous time in its history, and it starts kicking Iowa’s ass again, I fully expect, and am counting on, random “Iowa sucks” posts

I hope so. Unlike many on here I want Iowa-Nebraska to develop into an intense rivalry. It is a natural fit given our geographical proximity and cultural similarities. We are in the B1G to stay, OU is past history, and we need new rivals.
Iowa will NEVER be a great or even good rival . Likening them in any way as comparable to Oklahoma (potential or otherwise) makes absolutely no sense. Oklahoma had/has a tradition of pursuing and winning national titles and a rabid fan base at least comparable to ours. Iowa has none of these and never will. Lastly, why reach so low? A better set of potential rivals if we aspire to top ten finishes, are Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in that order. In our heyday, Penn State was often a rival for the National Title. I leave OSU off of this list, because we have little tradition with them. But, building up Iowa as a rival is tantamount to accepting 8-4 records.

Nebraska needs something bigger than a rivalry with Iowa. Wisconsin or Penn State is more appropriate and beneficial.

Iowa-Nebraska can and should be a fun game - but if Nebraska isn't winning this game 70-80% of the time, we are a shit sandwich.

Iowa will NEVER be a great or even good rival . Likening them in any way as comparable to Oklahoma (potential or otherwise) makes absolutely no sense. Oklahoma had/has a tradition of pursuing and winning national titles and a rabid fan base at least comparable to ours. Iowa has none of these and never will. Lastly, why reach so low? A better set of potential rivals if we aspire to top ten finishes, are Penn State, Michigan and Wisconsin in that order. In our heyday, Penn State was often a rival for the National Title. I leave OSU off of this list, because we have little tradition with them. But, building up Iowa as a rival is tantamount to accepting 8-4 records.
It is possible to have more than one rival you know. I fully expect games against several B1G teams to become annual slugfests. Assuming we climb back to greatness.

And my hopes for Iowa to become a rivalry hinge on the hope that both programs are greatly improved in coming years. That is what I was responding to. If Iowa does not hold up their end of the bargain then there will be no rivalry. We will just win handily every year.

As for OU... yeah... they were great and our games with them were legendary. But we ain't in their conference no more.

And maybe before we start slinging shit at Iowa for being pretenders, we should actually beat them again and not have them rape us on our home field.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Nebraska needs something bigger than a rivalry with Iowa. Wisconsin or Penn State is more appropriate and beneficial.

Iowa-Nebraska can and should be a fun game - but if Nebraska isn't winning this game 70-80% of the time, we are a shit sandwich.
Again... I expect us to have several rivals in the B1G. This isn't a zero sum game

Reactions: scarletred
But Iowa isn't it. They've certainly had NU's number when Mike Riley was the head coach. But now that Nebraska has a good coach who is already moving the program in the right direction, NU needs a rival to continuously make the Huskers better and raise their national profile. That's what OU did. Wisconsin is likely that rival (eventually, if the Huskers can ever beat them).

Would love for it to be one of the other blue bloods or Penn St., but they are all in the east. The only team in the West that should consistently challenge the Huskers would be the Badgers. Iowa some years, for sure. Minnesota and Northwestern are also respectable in some years. But none are rivals. They are only "rivals" now because the last two head coaches at NU sucked.

100% agree sir. Iowa is a real-deal smashmouth team and with their location should be a superb rival.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It is possible to have more than one rival you know. I fully expect games against several B1G teams to become annual slugfests. Assuming we climb back to greatness.

And my hopes for Iowa to become a rivalry hinge on the hope that both programs are greatly improved in coming years. That is what I was responding to. If Iowa does not hold up their end of the bargain then there will be no rivalry. We will just win handily every year.

As for OU... yeah... they were great and our games with them were legendary. But we ain't in their conference no more.

And maybe before we start slinging shit at Iowa for being pretenders, we should actually beat them again and not have them rape us on our home field.
Iowa deserves all the s__t slung their way. It’s a crappy program with a mediocre record and no national prominence. I’m not willing, as you apparently are, to define our success as developing a rivalry with the likes of Iowa. We now have a chance to aim higher, and I’m not willing to target beating mediocre teams as an indicator of success. If that’s what you’re content with, than so be it, but you’re aiming low.

100% agree sir. Iowa is a real-deal smashmouth team and with their location should be a superb rival.
Seriously! Smashmouth and a superb rival? Maybe we can someone can come up with an “old wooden bucket” trophy (or something crummy like it) to keep Iowa fans engaged. But Nebraska fans have traditionally aspired to bigger trophies. Do you seriously want to define down success as engaging in rivalries with the likes of “smashmouth” Iowa, which has won nothing of significance, and never will??

Seriously! Smashmouth and a superb rival? Maybe we can someone can come up with an “old wooden bucket” trophy (or something crummy like it) to keep Iowa fans engaged. But Nebraska fans have traditionally aspired to bigger trophies. Do you seriously want to define down success as engaging in rivalries with the likes of “smashmouth” Iowa, which has won nothing of significance, and never will??

I don’t think most are defining success as beating Iowa but I for one am defining massive failure as getting our ass kicked by them annually.

That will probably happen whether he is a D Train wannabe or not.
Well if his goal is to be just like your close personal friend Bobby (aka Pat Sajack to your Ed Grimley), that would be the perfect career path.

Untitled-3.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT