ADVERTISEMENT

Cat with Diabetes

Bigred511

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2018
I adopted a 7 1/2 yo Cat that was told was 15 lbs by a mutual friend. When, the lady drop him off said he was 20 lbs. She did say Vet gave him a clean bill of health. Oscar was energetic for a fatty and I got him on healthier food. I noticed several months later slimmed down. Took him to the Vet and was diagnosed with Diabetes. 4 months later give him insulin twice a day. Got him on lower carb food. His glucose has improved some but down to 12.2 lbs. He is a loving and fun Cat. Seems to want to live. Hoping to get his glucose to the point no insulin is needed and put back some lbs. Now 9.5 years old. Any tips on helping my furry friend beat Diabetes and live forever?

I adopted a 7 1/2 yo Cat that was told was 15 lbs by a mutual friend. When, the lady drop him off said he was 20 lbs. She did say Vet gave him a clean bill of health. Oscar was energetic for a fatty and I got him on healthier food. I noticed several months later slimmed down. Took him to the Vet and was diagnosed with Diabetes. 4 months later give him insulin twice a day. Got him on lower carb food. His glucose has improved some but down to 12.2 lbs. He is a loving and fun Cat. Seems to want to live. Hoping to get his glucose to the point no insulin is needed and put back some lbs. Now 9.5 years old. Any tips on helping my furry friend beat Diabetes and live forever?
If this was a Jeopardy answer, the question would be: What does Mario Verduzco call a guy with too much insulin in his blood?

Your obligation to your pet is not to extend their life forever. Your obligation is to be sure they're comfortable and that any pain is mitigated. Your cat is living on borrowed time. Your efforts are admirable but don't go to crazy lengths. At some point Oscar will likey have an episode and crash. Sometimes the best thing for the pet is to let them go. The pet doesn't know what is in that syringe when the vet delivers the overdose. I personally couldn't bring myself to start my 12 year old yellow lab on insulin. By the time I figured out she was diabetic she had bilateral cataracts to go with her osteoarthritis. I let her live for a few weeks with me at the farm after that but opted for euthanasia. Sorry if this is a little blunt but I've watched friends blow thousands of dollars extending a pet's life when it was pretty obvious to me that life was no fun anymore for the pet.

This Cat enjoys life. Yes it is more work for me. However, given a Cat better nutrition, insulin a few times a day, and home testing is what is needed to help him stay happy.
Good luck. You're a better man than me and I love animals.

we had our schnauzer’s eyes removed from glaucoma due to onset of diabetes. (sorry, four or more grand on surgery to correct was not happening). he got around the house and yard fine. and we loved the hell out if him. that being said, we did the insulin routine and while i drug it out about a year too long (my wife didnt want to talk about the inevitable), he had a pretty good run for ~4 years after the surgery. good luck!

Reactions: Bigred511
Your obligation to your pet is not to extend their life forever. Your obligation is to be sure they're comfortable and that any pain is mitigated. Your cat is living on borrowed time. Your efforts are admirable but don't go to crazy lengths. At some point Oscar will likey have an episode and crash. Sometimes the best thing for the pet is to let them go. The pet doesn't know what is in that syringe when the vet delivers the overdose. I personally couldn't bring myself to start my 12 year old yellow lab on insulin. By the time I figured out she was diabetic she had bilateral cataracts to go with her osteoarthritis. I let her live for a few weeks with me at the farm after that but opted for euthanasia. Sorry if this is a little blunt but I've watched friends blow thousands of dollars extending a pet's life when it was pretty obvious to me that life was no fun anymore for the pet.
That is a great post. Very well said

I guess I am a callous, cold-hearted SOB. When it comes to the point where I am constantly having to spend money on medical bills, or one large bill because of whatever, I am putting the animal down. Yes, pets are nice and make for great companions, but I am not going to spend that type of money on an animal. I can get another one to take its place.

I have had dogs almost my entire adult life and have fond memories of them all. They all lived to be about 12-15, one died in their sleep and a couple was put down.

Get the firing squad ready, I am ready for the bullets and arrows.

My cat who had diabetes has been in remission for 2 and a half years. He will be 17 years old in March and doing great. Make sure you check his blood sugar before giving insulin because you could give too much if they are going into remission. For my cat a strict low carb diet did the trick. Google "cat food nutritional composition chart by Lisa A. Pierson." I keep my cat on foods below 10 grams of carbs. Good luck!

I guess I am a callous, cold-hearted SOB. When it comes to the point where I am constantly having to spend money on medical bills, or one large bill because of whatever, I am putting the animal down. Yes, pets are nice and make for great companions, but I am not going to spend that type of money on an animal. I can get another one to take its place.

I have had dogs almost my entire adult life and have fond memories of them all. They all lived to be about 12-15, one died in their sleep and a couple was put down.

It's ok. The only thing I don't like is how you said you can get another one to take its place.

A better way of saying it is that when one cat sadly dies or disappears....it creates an opportunity for another cat to have a good owner and good home.

It's ok. The only thing I don't like is how you said you can get another one to take its place.

A better way of saying it is that when one cat sadly dies or disappears....it creates an opportunity for another cat to have a good owner and good home.
I definitely think every animal I have encountered has an individual personality. Some are more affectionate and some are more independent. Some can’t wait to play and some enjoy just watching. The list goes on.

Another pet may come into the home but they will also bring in their own unique-ness into your home.

This Cat enjoys life. Yes it is more work for me. However, given a Cat better nutrition, insulin a few times a day, and home testing is what is needed to help him stay happy.
You fight that good fight for Oscar, my hat is off to you brother.

Reactions: Bigred511

Exactly!

I've known people who didn't want to spend the $$ on surgery, treatment, drugz etc. Put the pet down and then turn around and get a new pup & spend $1K or more. They treat it like a car, just sad.

Just as a safeguard keep a container of honey in your cupboard. I had a cat with diabetes and saved him twice when his blood sugar crashed. He was totally non-responsive and we rubbed some honey in his gumline and it worked. Of course went directly to the vet after.

Reactions: Nebraska lady

Or the ignore button utilized by other posters. Winking

ignore-button-picture-id636143090

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT