ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tsunami Warning last night

Oct 6, 2012
Excitement here last night. Was live on-air playing my weekly show when all the lights and buzzers went off in the control room, (studio), a Tsunami Warning and evacuation order followed with our sirens wailing relentlessly. Second time I was live during a tsunami scare. Other was during the Japanese disaster in 2011.

Very different response. In 2011 we were all on edge knowing a massive quake occurred, and that we were potentially at risk. Finally at 11:53 I recieved an emergency print out calling for an evacuation. I read on-air, 90 seconds later Kodiak Police called me and asked me not to read it again until they/we had more info so as to not panic people. 15 minutes later it was downgraded to Alert.

Last night there was a 7.2 temblor down the Peninsula, and the National Weather Service sent messages out over phones calling for immediate evacuation.

Panic ensued, hundreds if not thousands of processing workers fled the waterfront in a chaotic rush, mixed with cars also evacuating, and one person is dead.

12 years ago I was reprimanded by Police to not spread panic as I read my EAS printout.
Last night this was avoidable. Panic 1. Tsunami 0.

Excitement here last night. Was live on-air playing my weekly show when all the lights and buzzers went off in the control room, (studio), a Tsunami Warning and evacuation order followed with our sirens wailing relentlessly. Second time I was live during a tsunami scare. Other was during the Japanese disaster in 2011.

Very different response. In 2011 we were all on edge knowing a massive quake occurred, and that we were potentially at risk. Finally at 11:53 I recieved an emergency print out calling for an evacuation. I read on-air, 90 seconds later Kodiak Police called me and asked me not to read it again until they/we had more info so as to not panic people. 15 minutes later it was downgraded to Alert.

Last night there was a 7.2 temblor down the Peninsula, and the National Weather Service sent messages out over phones calling for immediate evacuation.

Panic ensued, hundreds if not thousands of processing workers fled the waterfront in a chaotic rush, mixed with cars also evacuating, and one person is dead.

12 years ago I was reprimanded by Police to not spread panic as I read my EAS printout.
Everything in this day and age is trying to be first with info and the hype

How does one listen in to you?

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
How does one listen in to you?
KMXT.org

We stream! Every Saturday night 9 to midnight, Alaska time. Been playing this particular show since 2004.
I hosted the Classical show as well for several years too. Also same time. Was on my Classical show the Japanese disaster unfolded. The News director and I stayed live until 4:30am that day.

I am on the tail end of the World’s day.

It is a rock and roll show that I try to keep a bit provacative. 3 hours, I get about 40 songs in.

KMXT.org

We stream! Every Saturday night 9 to midnight, Alaska time. Been playing this particular show since 2004.
I hosted the Classical show as well for several years too. Also same time. Was on my Classical show the Japanese disaster unfolded. The News director and I stayed live until 4:30am that day.

It is a rock and roll show that I try to keep a bit provacative. 3 hours, I get about 40 songs in.
I'm gonna try and remember to listen in next Sat!

Everything in this day and age is trying to be first with info and the hype
This is so true.

I thought I lived in a town that had a savvy about these things, last night I was embarrassed for Kodiak.

Did not help that all the large bars are on the waterfront as well. Thousands of pedestrian processors frantically leaving with bar patrons driving amongst the throng.

We had 90 minutes to assess the risk. Small quake, shallow, but 30 minutes to assess if we were in danger, then 60 minutes to evacuate.

This was avoidable.

Reactions: huskerfan66
KMXT.org

"And this next song you all know and love, Welcome to the Jungle...also, I love to 69, don't you guys, go ahead and call in if you love 69inning."

"And this next song you all know and love, Welcome to the Jungle...also, I love to 69, don't you guys, go ahead and call in if you love 69inning."
Tune in!

You may like it.

Eurotrash Girl is track 69 on Cracker’s release “Kerosene Hat”, and I have played it and questioned its track #

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
KMXT.org

Do you ever plug your husker allegiance?? 😆

Reactions: Mrs HuskerHusaria

I mean it sounds like there needs to be more oversight of evacuation procedures and not with the warning itself. At some point human beings should be able to respond reasonably to alert and warning systems without people dying. I do know in Oregon they have just ignored common sense and pack tourism and industry into tsunami evacuation zones, directly on top of areas that will be under 40-50 feet of water when the big one comes. These areas by the ocean tend to have high hills that make evacuation difficult and will provide a wonderful magnification of waves when the event happens. Reasonable societies practice evacuations like in Japan because people there can follow basic instructions and aren't perpetually drunk and/or stupid. When a society is so wack that you have to worry about panic vs. safety it is time to take a rethink of the whole thing. Brings to mind toilet paper.

I mean it sounds like there needs to be more oversight of evacuation procedures and not with the warning itself. At some point human beings should be able to respond reasonably to alert and warning systems without people dying. I do know in Oregon they have just ignored common sense and pack tourism and industry into tsunami evacuation zones, directly on top of areas that will be under 40-50 feet of water when the big one comes. These areas by the ocean tend to have high hills that make evacuation difficult and will provide a wonderful magnification of waves when the event happens. Reasonable societies practice evacuations like in Japan because people there can follow basic instructions and aren't perpetually drunk and/or stupid. When a society is so wack that you have to worry about panic vs. safety it is time to take a rethink of the whole thing. Brings to mind toilet paper.
That is long.
We like to think we are on cutting edge of tsunami warnings, but have had 5 evacs in 5 years, with only one quake really being big.

Big here is like 8.0 and above. Rare but worthy

Lots like Phoenix hits 120 again after 40 years

7.2 quakes here are common.

In fact, you call in and request the Fight Song, I will play it next and elaborate on what an amazing thing it has been.
Deal. I'm gonna have to figure out how to do that. I bale hay at night usually from 11pm until 3 am but depends on temp and humidity. That would be a hoot and nothing better than more Husker connections and spreading the Husker nation 😀. I've got Sirius xm in the tractor. Haven't figured out if I have Bluetooth but I thinking I do and could do it through the phone
In fact, you call in and request the Fight Song, I will play it next and elaborate on what an amazing thing it has been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT