ADVERTISEMENT

Can you see a difference between Scott Frost and Matt Campbell?

In fairness, there's no pressure to win at Iowa State and no consequences for losing. Winning is nice, but losing is expected. Win seven games and they are ecstatic. Win five games and they are ho hum
Exactly! Matt Campbell is a godsend in the eyes of the cyclone fan base.

Just came across this and is a complete 180 to how Frost handles his many losses.
Campbell does an excellent job here. I agree it's a very different vibe and tone than Frost.

That said, Campbell is riding high at ISU -- even after this loss -- and has exceeded expectations at a place where the bar is quite low. Conversely, Frost is nursing his way through a losing record where there's 24/7 scrutiny of the program and every win or loss. I think that explains a lot of the difference in how they're handling these things.

Personally, I think that coaches do a disservice to themselves and the program when they don't step up to the responsibility of addressing media and fans in a positive way. It was Bo's undoing and Frost is taking the same morose and resentful tone with each season. For all his liabilities, I'll say that Mike Riley understood that he was the only one who could control the narrative for his program and tried to do it with optimism and openness that people appreciated, even when things were dismal on the field.

takes responsibility for his team's performance. Frost would just be making excuses for why his team lost.

Had hoodies on? The other team clapped? Seemed like every time we got a drive going it was a TV timeout. A bunch of ther BS Frost has spewed.

The State of Iowa has witnessed this before. The University of Iowa hired Steve Alford to be their basketball coach. Fortunately, he left for New Mexico and the state was for the better.

The Minnesota Golden Gophers have a new basketball coach. Their former has moved onto UNM, as well.

Matt Campbell is a good coach. Not sure a move to the Big Ten is in his immediate plans.

Scott Frost does remind many with Alford. Alford may be a better PC and interview than Frost?

Campbell does an excellent job here. I agree it's a very different vibe and tone than Frost.

That said, Campbell is riding high at ISU -- even after this loss -- and has exceeded expectations at a place where the bar is quite low. Conversely, Frost is nursing his way through a losing record where there's 24/7 scrutiny of the program and every win or loss. I think that explains a lot of the difference in how they're handling these things.

Personally, I think that coaches do a disservice to themselves and the program when they don't step up to the responsibility of addressing media and fans in a positive way. It was Bo's undoing and Frost is taking the same morose and resentful tone with each season. For all his liabilities, I'll say that Mike Riley understood that he was the only one who could control the narrative for his program and tried to do it with optimism and openness that people appreciated, even when things were dismal on the field.
yes

When you say there is no pressure on Campbell to win against Iowa just look at his face during that game. No one had more pressure than him Saturday but he handled the post game very well. He didn't throw the players under the bus to save his ass.

You’re and idiot if you think Matt Campell is under any pressure to win at Iowa State

Matt Campbell is brilliant because he took a P5 job that has no expectations and he met them.

He never jocked them up, he never said they should be top 10, he never said they would beat crappy iowa...he simply just took a job that has no expectations and he kept that going.

You know why he is not in a bad mood after that loss? Because the media that covers ISU doesn't care, the fans don't care, the administration doesn't care.

Two P5 schools in the same lame state, where 75% (at least) of the state cares about the other school that doesn't do/accomplish anything in football. I don't know if there is a P5 football job with less pressure.

Maybe: Wake Forest, Vandy, Oregon State, that might be it. Possibly Indiana.

That said, Campbell is riding high at ISU -- even after this loss -- and has exceeded expectations at a place where the bar is quite low. Conversely, Frost is nursing his way through a losing record where there's 24/7 scrutiny of the program and every win or loss.
Was he scrutinized though in the beginning? Definitely not his first year & not too terribly much his second year. At least not remotely close as those before him.

Yes, expectations are much higher at Nebraska then they are at Iowa St (as they should be), but Frost has been given a huge pass & hasn't even met Iowa States bare minimum expectations.

If Campbell had Frost's record in 4 years, would his attitude at the podium be the same since Iowa State's expectations are so low?

Was he scrutinized though in the beginning? Definitely not his first year & not too terribly much his second year. At least not remotely close as those before him.

Yes, expectations are much higher at Nebraska then they are at Iowa St (as they should be), but Frost has been given a huge pass & hasn't even met Iowa States bare minimum expectations.

If Campbell had Frost's record in 4 years, would his attitude at the podium be the same since Iowa State's expectations are so low?
I'm not sure I understand how Frost has been "given a pass".

Every national and local news outlet has called him out and described him as a flop, disparaged the team's embarrassing execution and lack of discipline, criticized his demeanor and comments in news conferences and painted him as an arrogant underachiever.

Where is the "pass" he's being given in the midst of all this criticism? He was given the benefit of the doubt his first two years, but during last year's COVID season and after the loss to Illinois, the daggers have been sharp and relentless. My point was that Campbell would likely behave differently if he was standing in Frost's shoes coaching for survival each week, even with the low bar at ISU.

Every national and local news outlet has called him out and described him as a flop, disparaged the team's embarrassing execution and lack of discipline, criticized his demeanor and comments in news conferences and painted him as an arrogant underachiever.

Where is the "pass" he's being given in the midst of all this criticism? He was given the benefit of the doubt his first two years, but during last year's COVID season and after the loss to Illinois, the daggers have been sharp and relentless. My point was that Campbell would likely behave differently if he was standing in Frost's shoes coaching for survival each week, even with the low bar at ISU.
Yes, this year (year 4) he's been called a flop, but his first 3 seasons he was given a pass. He's been all the things you listed from the beginning it's just that now he's really being called out on them.

Of course it's likely Campbell would behave differently, but that doesn't mean he'd behave remotely the same as Frost currently is. Campbell's potential "different behavior" would be better because his personality is much different (more appealing imo) than Frost's.

That doesn't mean one is better than the other. Just one comes off much better than the other.

IMO, Frost was given a pass for first 3 years but going into year 4 everyone realized that tangible improvement needs to happen now. Frost responds with a loss to one of the worst teams on our schedule. And we saw that nothing had changed with regard to AM, the OL, playing favorites over talent, bad penalties, and terrible clock management.

And if that’s not enough, he admitted that something as simple as an even vs odd front destroyed his gameplan that he had all off-season to prepare. That’s when the national media jumped on him, and because he deserved it.

Is Frost getting a pass now? No. Nor should he.

Man please! I haven't heard one local reporter ask Scott tough questions after these embarrassing losses the last 4 years! Hardly any critique, it's like the local reporters don't understand how the game of football is played.

They stand there and listen to Frost talk like he is giving a coaches clinic even though he statistically is the worst coach Nebraska has had in over 55 years and the offense still has no identity.

Same reporters used to ask Pelini snide questions and be assholes even after WINS. Sure national reporters talk down on Frost but the pussies in Nebraska are SCARED TOO!

If Matt Campbell had Frosts record last 4 years ISU would have fired his ass. You know how I know that?? Because that's what they did to the prior coaches there! Look at the recruit rankings last 5 years of both schoos n compare and then do the Big10west. Horrific coaching...

In fairness, there's no pressure to win at Iowa State and no consequences for losing. Winning is nice, but losing is expected. Win seven games and they are ecstatic. Win five games and they are ho hum

Dan McCarney won 7 or more games 5 times between 2000-2005, and tied for 1st in the Big 12 North in 2004. He was then fired in 2006 after a 4 win season.

Just came across this and is a complete 180 to how Frost handles his many losses.
Yes, tremendous diff. Campbell isn't arrogant and automatically thinks he's a winner and going to win just because he's special. Campbell is focused on the details and making adjustments and honestly admitting his mistakes. Campbell doesn't blame the players for shitty coaching.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Campbell, as the higher ranked team and the favorite to win the game with a team filled with seniors get manhandled at home...

Husker fan: "Oh my gosh, he was so nice and polite in his press conference, he is so dreamy, that is what we need"

We had him...Mike Riley.

Reactions: AngryKelly
Campbell, as the higher ranked team and the favorite to win the game with a team filled with seniors get manhandled at home...

Husker fan: "Oh my gosh, he was so nice and polite in his press conference, he is so dreamy, that is what we need"

We had him...Mike Riley.
Other than Campbell's first season his Iowa State teams have rarely been blown out. Same can't be said of Riley and now Frost.

Other than Campbell's first season his Iowa State teams have rarely been blown out. Same can't be said of Riley and now Frost.
Yeah that is nice and everything but it really doesn't impress me.

They were just at home and favored and doubled the offense of Iowa and got beat by ten. I mean, if that is not shit coaching...

They are both over ratted at this point I think. At least Campbell has won some games but I am still not convinced he is all that great.
It's fricking Iowa State. The guy has done something no one else has been able to accomplish. Don't poo poo his accomplishments simply because there's one team he hasn't been able to beat. How long did it take Osborne to beat Oklahoma?

Reactions: zrob
It's fricking Iowa State. The guy has done something no one else has been able to accomplish. Don't poo poo his accomplishments simply because there's one team he hasn't been able to beat. How long did it take Osborne to beat Oklahoma?
I didn't. I just am not convinced he is that great of a coach. That is it. Good for him doing what he has done. We will see when a SEC school comes calling if he can be great on a much bigger stage. They will come calling he is the next new toy for AD's to wet their pants on.

What accomplishments?

They were just at home and favored and doubled the offense of Iowa and got beat by ten. I mean, if that is not shit coaching...
Not sure that meats the definition of shit coaching. If you double the offense, that would seem to me to be decent coaching. Turnovers are what they are, some are coachable, some are just poorly executed, or crazy bounces. Throwing 3 picks and having a fumble returned for a TD was the difference in the game. They only had 4 penalties for 25 yards, so they didn't beat themselves there.

I think Campbell is a above average coach, he still has average players.

I didn't. I just am not convinced he is that great of a coach. That is it. Good for him doing what he has done. We will see when a SEC school comes calling if he can be great on a much bigger stage. They will come calling he is the next new toy for AD's to wet their pants on.
Well they've already come calling and he has turned them all down. Not sure we'll ever know. Many have said Michigan or Ohio State might be the only other jobs he's interested in outside of the NFL.

Matt Campbell is a better coach and has a better staff than Scott Frost's band from UCF/UNI/Oregon.

Campbell is 0-5 against Iowa. Of course, Mike Riley and Scott Frost couldn't beat Iowa either, so not sure using Iowa is very relevant.

However, MAC and AAC coaches don't always excel at next level, whether it be Big Ten or Big 12.

Mike Riley or Jim Walden didn't move to Nebraska or Iowa State from the Pac 12/10 NW with much success either.

Clearly, Campbell has shown an ability to develop players and compete in the Big 12 in a short amount of time.

They have an identity at ISU. Not sure that is as clear at Nebraska in Year 4 under Scott Frost.

oh give me a break, he shouldered responsibilty. He manned up, Scott does not .

Well they've already come calling and he has turned them all down. Not sure we'll ever know. Many have said Michigan or Ohio State might be the only other jobs he's interested in outside of the NFL.
You think so at least. $$$ talks as they say. Someone will be offering enough. He could be one of the best who knows. It is always nice to see some younger guys get chances and make it big I think. I am just not convinced.

He certainly has done some nice things at ISU

I guess I'm looking at more than just one game to determine how bad a coach is or isn't.

I guess I'm looking at more than just one game to determine how bad a coach is or isn't.
Sure but they look like shit this season so far. I think that is fair to say.

They are a turnover prone team that doesn't seem to do anything all that well.

Matt Campbell is a better coach and has a better staff than Scott Frost's band from UCF/UNI/Oregon.

Campbell is 0-5 against Iowa. Of course, Mike Riley and Scott Frost couldn't beat Iowa either, so not sure using Iowa is very relevant.

However, MAC and AAC coaches don't always excel at next level, whether it be Big Ten or Big 12.

Mike Riley or Jim Walden didn't move to Nebraska or Iowa State from the Pac 12/10 NW with much success either.

Clearly, Campbell has shown an ability to develop players and compete in the Big 12 in a short amount of time.

They have an identity at ISU. Not sure that is as clear at Nebraska in Year 4 under Scott Frost.
Ehhh, Frost has an undefeated season.

I would take that over anything Matt has done for an entire season.

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Ehhh, Frost has an undefeated season.

I would take that over anything Matt has done for an entire season.

Scott Frost is at Nebraska today, not UCF. Apples and oranges.

PJ Fleck had a good year at Western Michigan too!

Urban Meyer left Florida (hiatus) to Big Ten raising the bar for Nebraska and the rest of the Big Ten after the 2011 season.

Scott Frost hasn't taken anything from his success at UCF to Lincoln.

Next guy from UCF got stuffed too! But, to be fair, that was Week 2 of his tenure.

Scott Frost is at Nebraska today, not UCF. Apples and oranges.

PJ Fleck had a good year at Western Michigan too!

Urban Meyer left Florida (hiatus) to Big Ten raising the bar for Nebraska and the rest of the Big Ten after the 2011 season.

Scott Frost hasn't taken anything from his success at UCF to Lincoln.

Next guy from UCF got stuffed too! But, to be fair, that was Week 2 of his tenure.

Yeah and matt's best season is a 9-2 season at Toledo.

Except he won't have to worry about being in Frost's shoes since he's a much better coach and takes responsibility and holds his players accountable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT