ADVERTISEMENT

Can we finally now stop the nonsense?

Many have said, including myself, that we have talent on this team based on our recruiting rankings but that it has been poorly coached.

We do not have talent on this team. Recruiting rankings be damned. There is only one way to get Nebraska football back. We need to bring in better players. Period.

Rhule will succeed or fail based on that metric. So let’s stop talking nonsense about how we have talent on this team because we don’t. And that is true of every damn position.

We have talent on this team. We do however have a big problem on our offensive line and this has spanned multiple coaching stafffs. I don't know whether it is from a lack of talent, development, coaching, play calling, or a combination but we need to take a big step up there before we compete for conference championships.

QB would be our next issue. HH is a serviceable QB and could put up good numbers with a better offensive line. His throwing mechanics will always cause some issues, but that is who he is.

Prior to injuries, our RB and TE rooms are full of talent. Our WR room has young talent and there starters would be very complimentary to a running team. But if you don't have an offensive line, the skill players cannot shine.

IMO I think we have plenty of talent on defense and a good scheme against a vast majority of college teams. More depth is always welcomed and that takes time and winning to build. The Michigan may be an anomaly. That offensive line and scheme could give every single team they play this year problems. Including in the playoffs.

If injuries don't crush our defense, we will have a chance to win every game the rest of the regular season.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think many aren’t necessarily criticizing Sims they are criticizing Rhule for a poor evaluation of portal QB options and then further compounding this error by misjudging the QBs in his own QB room

you can’t botch the handling of the most important position in all of sports

We beat Minnesota with Haarberg and at least have a chance against CU
He watched all of our game and practice video and went after portal QBs. Sims was the most talented guy he could get. Some of our problem in attracting a portal QB no doubt was our O line struggles last fall and a lack of a history of Husker QBs getting drafted as QBs.

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
Defensively it was bad. Offensively Callahan was pretty good. 2007 warped a lot people's perceptions. I've always wondered what might have been in 2008 and onward with a new DC. The recruiting class that Callahan was building had guys like Blaine Gabbert and the following couple years the defense was built around Callahan recruits like Suh.
TBH the biggest issue with Callahan was he was hired by the guy that fired the Nebraska guy and the moment things didn't go well we was going to be fired by the lynch mob. If you played the 2002-2003 Nebraska teams against the average Callahan teams from 2005-2007 they probably lose. The 2003 record was a result of a very easy schedule and the 2007 schedule was brutal.
We need this type of talent infusion again. The right coach does this. Our current coach has Never done this, at any level. Only time he's worked with NFL talent was in the NFL, for the most part. And we all know how that ended. Apples/oranges, granted. Just sayin he's never put together a top recruiting class at the collegiate level, which, I dunno, is cause for question.

He watched all of our game and practice video and went after portal QBs. Sims was the most talented guy he could get. Some of our problem in attracting a portal QB no doubt was our O line struggles last fall and a lack of a history of Husker QBs getting drafted as QBs.
Very good points. Not many QBs want to come in and run for their lives 70% of drop backs. Not exactly how you put together a draft resume.

Many have said, including myself, that we have talent on this team based on our recruiting rankings but that it has been poorly coached.

We do not have talent on this team. Recruiting rankings be damned. There is only one way to get Nebraska football back. We need to bring in better players. Period.

Rhule will succeed or fail based on that metric. So let’s stop talking nonsense about how we have talent on this team because we don’t. And that is true of every damn position.
Things can change quickly. 2 years ago we took Michigan down to the wire at home.

Reactions: dinglefritz
“he’s an NFL player”

- Matt Rhule on Jeff Sims

• Wow
Reactions: Energy3
We need talent, but we certainly aren't getting any. 21 two and three star commits currently. Either our NIL is non-existent, or recruits just don't care and would rather take less money to be elsewhere, or our staff is desperate and just accept the commitment from any kid willing to say "yes".
Regardless, our staff better be damn good at developing, because that's a lot of recruits that need a lot of development, and the entire current roster need far more development.

We keeps saying that, but there is no way that happens…so I guess you are on the side of inept coaching.
Just because we could win those games, does not mean we do. Players make mistakes and so do coaches.

I'm not overly impressed with Rhule so far. However, I'm not giving up on him being successful. I just believe it's very fair to be critical of him at this juncture. He struck out big time on the QB he brought in. Our WRs and OL are embarrassing - maybe not all his fault but I've seen either a drop off or at best, no improvement.

Our defense seems to be better. I do like the play calling at times and the focus on running the ball. The personnel issues, while better than Frost, are still sometimes perplexing.

In the end, it's yet another down year to be a Husker fan. I'll still watch the games and argue on here but this team is dog shit. Good thing the B1G W is dog shit, too

Reactions: huskercabby

Reality finally set in for a bunch of you huh. I'm sure the amnesia will come back soon enough. I've been saying it , " We're not good " I doubt we win more than 5 games. Rebuilding is a fact. Every week with the " West is garbage " . What does that make us ...other than sad, pathetic, and embarrassing. This program has a mentality that must be changed as well as the talent level. I was at a event Sat where I met a starters girlfriend and she told me. " They knew they had no chance at winning " and " The QB's just aren't good . Her words, not mine.

Reality finally set in for a bunch of you huh. I'm sure the amnesia will come back soon enough. I've been saying it , " We're not good " I doubt we win more than 5 games. Rebuilding is a fact. Every week with the " West is garbage " . What does that make us ...other than sad, pathetic, and embarrassing. This program has a mentality that must be changed as well as the talent level. I was at a event Sat where I met a starters girlfriend and she told me. " They knew they had no chance at winning " and " The QB's just aren't good . Her words, not mine.
I'm sure Haarberg's girlfriend was just pulling your leg. :)

There's a marked distinction between possessing talent and harboring talent of Michigan's caliber - these are disparate teams. I surmise that only the audacious believe our talent parallels Michigan's. Whenever I've heard this, I've always assumed it referred to having the talent to lead the BIG West, not necessarily to dominate the entire conference. This sentiment often circulates during our second dark period from 2017-2022, a stretch defined by our absence from bowl appearances and cycling through three coaches. The prevalent theory? Our shortfall to a .500 record is attributed to coaching and development issues, not a lack of talent.

nice thread, forum police officer.

now explain why Duke is kicking so much ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT