ADVERTISEMENT

Can we finally now stop the nonsense?

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Many have said, including myself, that we have talent on this team based on our recruiting rankings but that it has been poorly coached.

We do not have talent on this team. Recruiting rankings be damned. There is only one way to get Nebraska football back. We need to bring in better players. Period.

Rhule will succeed or fail based on that metric. So let’s stop talking nonsense about how we have talent on this team because we don’t. And that is true of every damn position.

Many have said, including myself, that we have talent on this team based on our recruiting rankings but that it has been poorly coached.

We do not have talent on this team. Recruiting rankings be damned. There is only one way to get Nebraska football back. We need to bring in better players. Period.

Rhule will succeed or fail based on that metric. So let’s stop talking nonsense about how we have talent on this team because we don’t. And that is true of every damn position.
Good post and 100% true. Stop listening to the paid homer media

The coaches job, while acquiring talent, is to put his current team in the best position to win regardless of talent at your disposal. You can’t really judge the Michigan game because of how wide the talent gap is. However in our only other games against power 5 teams where the talent gap wasn’t wide coaching decisions put us at a disadvantage
We have enough talent to compete against every team left on the schedule with the exception of Maryland. That is a reflection of how bad the remaining schedule is

Last edited:
Are there people pretending we have a lot of talent currently? Kids are playing hard on defense but there's a limited number of pros overall. Rhule was hired to rebuild the whole thing, talent/development being number one. A team like Michigan exposes all the weaknesses.

Are there people pretending we have a lot of talent currently? Kids are playing hard on defense but there's a limited number of pros overall. Rhule was hired to rebuild the whole thing, talent/development being number one. A team like Michigan exposes all the weaknesses.
This staff is trying to turn the roster over without being like prime. I expect to see results in 2025.

As Pennsy stated, our recruiting rankings have been pretty decent...🤷 But I'm convinced we're cursed. My sheesh, was at the game yesterday.

Our fan support is amazing. Our facilities are amazing. We just can't seem to turn a corner. We can't get it done. And it makes no sense to me.

To be fair, I didn't expect us to win. But that was brutal. I left at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Our tickets were $170 each.

I'm pretty sure that's the last game I will attend when tickets aren't given to me for free. It's shameful.

As Pennsy stated, our recruiting rankings have been pretty decent...🤷 But I'm convinced we're cursed. My sheesh, was at the game yesterday.

Our fan support is amazing. Our facilities are amazing. We just can't seem to turn a corner. We can't get it done. And it makes no sense to me.

To be fair, I didn't expect us to win. But that was brutal. I left at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Our tickets were $170 each.

I'm pretty sure that's the last game I will attend when tickets aren't given to me for free. It's shameful.
If you want to believe we're cursed that's up to you. A lot of those so called 4 stars from the previous regime washed out. Getting a QB in the portal that can pass would have really helped but it didn't happen, still would have lost to Michigan.

I wouldn't pay $170 a ticket either for the current product.

We do not invest in talent acquisition to anywhere near the degree that we invest in facilities. Huge disconnect.

Statements declaring ourselves a developmental program have strengthened many boosters and fans biases that we don’t need to pay for talent but rather just develop the more lightly recruited guys

I also have huge reservations about Scott Frost’s right hand man and #1 fanboy who credited himself with bringing Scott to Lincoln being in charge of our NIL

Last edited:

I haven’t been to a game in years. I would imagine that ticket prices will drop once again after that beat down. Unless we somehow start to beat legit D1 programs once again this program is dead in the water.

We need a total roster overhaul of our veteran players. We need most of the offensive line to take a hike. We need to purge the QB room. We need much better defensive lineman. Perhaps some of the younger guys are going to fill that need. We need to bring in dominant lineman on both lines. THAT is critical. THAT is what made NU so dominant for decades. We were stellar on both lines. Sounds old fashioned but it is still true. You must win in the trenches. We got mauled in the trenches yesterday. This is a must change situation. Better lineman or we will be a bust.

We need a total roster overhaul of our veteran players. We need most of the offensive line to take a hike. We need to purge the QB room. We need much better defensive lineman. Perhaps some of the younger guys are going to fill that need. We need to bring in dominant lineman on both lines. THAT is critical. THAT is what made NU so dominant for decades. We were stellar on both lines. Sounds old fashioned but it is still true. You must win in the trenches. We got mauled in the trenches yesterday. This is a must change situation. Better lineman or we will be a bust.
The entire offensive at Michigan

“We are thrilled to support one of the nation’s elite offensive lines,” said Lyle Wolberg, CFP, CEO and partner at Telemus Capital. “These incredible student-athletes have put in a tremendous amount of time and effort this season in protecting their quarterback and helping their team reach the pinnacle of the sport. At Telemus, our team protects our clients’ wealth, and we are extremely proud of both our nationally ranked Telemus team and the Michigan Wolverines.”

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Michigan recruits highly rated offensive linemen at all levels. High school, transfer portal, and grad transfer.

Reactions: huntered

You get the gold star ⭐️ for the seaxon!! We don’t have the players even TO and Nick couldn’t win many games with theses players. and yes some of the guys are playing the best they can and some must enjoy getting their lunch handed to them every play. Another thing to remember this is only the fifth game theses coaches have coached together it takes time for them to jell

Reactions: Laner2
As fan's we've been drinking from the firehose for so long now about our top 25 recruiting rankings, stories about being the "all bus team", and the ever-present sunshine pumping that comes with each new head or assistance coaching change where its been a revolving door.

Agree its pretty clear we don't and haven't had talent for some time validated by two key undebatable metrics: 1) record on the field, 2) fact that our pipeline of players to the NFL has been a trickle for close to a decade. Without talent, its clear that this is a full rebuild and patience and more hope is unfortunately about all we have to hang our hat on as fans.

Good post and 100% true. Stop listening to the paid homer media
Thank you. What I’ve been saying. Others call us mid 3* U. After this class it might be low 3* U. The local beat writers and the ol experts on here will say to trust the system, trust in Rhule, coach em up, diamonds in the rough, etc. 23 years later the same results that are going in the wrong direction.

I didn’t expect us to win yesterday but didn’t expected it wasn’t going to be as bad as it was..

Game showed how far we need to grow as program to be elite again and the staff has a lot of work to do for the future…Our offensive line is terrible never seen once where we could run the ball till the 4thQ.

We need a better QB’s moving forward, we have none that can make difference to turning this program around..

I’m now more interested on how we handle this loss and what we can accomplish in the next four games which are very winnable games…

I do think there is some talent on this team. Most aren’t playing yet for a variety of reasons. There is a huge talent deficiency on O-line and that has been killing us for 5 years! We won’t win many games for this reason alone.

Reactions: scarletred
Michigan was bigger, faster, and stronger at every single position. We were completely exposed. So many issues on the team… defense completely bullied all game, even by their second string players. Offense just looks out of sync and doesn’t execute plays… we simply are not a good team. Need recruits and impact transfers desperately.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta

Let's look at Corcoran and Prochazka. Both are 4-star OL recruits. Corcoran would be a very good guard. But because he is playing out of position he is a very subpar offensive tackle. Why is he there? A highly-rated OT has struggled to stay healthy and as we saw yesterday he probably 1) isn't ready to return as a starter and 2) may just not have the right body to play the position (too tall). Again Prochazka is taller than every starting OT in the NFL and that can't be an accident. The recruiting rankings don't mean much if players aren't in the right position to fit their skills or are the wrong body for the position they play. Prochazka looks like he could play TE at least on blocking downs.
We've also lost endless players that would be good contributers and starters like Hausman and McCaffrey to the transfer portal. McCaffrey will be drafted as a WR, a position he didn't want to play for us. Both of those guys were 4 stars. We have to get good players in with the portal to replace guys like this. Over the last several years we've lost more talent than we've brought in. And players like Purdy just haven't looked close to their star rankings - yet.
With the portal and NIL I think the days of recruiting class rankings are over. We need to get more NIL money into the system and be able to compete with the top programs if we want to be.a top program. Texas has built a top-3 program quickly off of NIL. We cannot compete when we always play from behind. I've felt that NIL can be very good for NU because it makes up for things that Nebraska lacks: a huge population of talented players, beaches, mountains, etc. And this is driven by the fan base. If we can afford to pony up the money to get Memorial Stadium upgraded we can pony up 20 mil a year to get legit NFL talent knocking on the door.

The problem with wanting to win now and have lineman - the portal would be the only real answer. Even then will be hard to find good ones or win out vs other top schools. I think that Lenhardt, Van Poppel, and Princewell are good young players on the DL. The OL is all about development for the most part. I think we have a few good ones coming in BUT again they are only true freshmen. Have to sit back and hope that Rhule can build us up for the next couple years. We know what we signed up for but want results now. It isn't going to happen.

The
We do not invest in talent acquisition to anywhere near the degree that we invest in facilities. Huge disconnect.

Statements declaring ourselves a developmental program have strengthened many boosters and fans biases that we don’t need to pay for talent but rather just develop the more lightly recruited guys

I also have huge reservations about Scott Frost’s right hand man and #1 fanboy who credited himself with bringing Scott to Lincoln being in charge of our NIL
The problem is that big money donors can’t get their name immortalized on players. Don’t underestimate how their vanity affects this program.

Michigan was bigger, faster, and stronger at every single position. We were completely exposed. So many issues on the team… defense completely bullied all game, even by their second string players. Offense just looks out of sync and doesn’t execute plays… we simply are not a good team. Need recruits and impact transfers desperately.
Michigan looked as good as any team NU has played in a long while, including Ohio St. Just stacked deeply everywhere. You can't even wear out their DL with a running game because of the depth and rotation. I don't see any reason they won't win out, but we'll see how the season goes. I think they will beat some 10-3 and 11-2 type winning teams by 20+ points.
So in other words, I'm not going to be too down on NU over this game.
Talent-wise NU is not in the top-half of the Big Ten. We had some relatively good recruiting classes on paper in the Frost years but because of poor player development, transfers, etc that talent just isn't there.

The best question outside of great recruiting, is Rhule willing to hunt the portal like Prime did?

Reactions: huskercabby
I didn’t expect us to win yesterday but didn’t expected it wasn’t going to be as bad as it was..

Game showed how far we need to grow as program to be elite again and the staff has a lot of work to do for the future…Our offensive line is terrible never seen once where we could run the ball till the 4thQ.

We need a better QB’s moving forward, we have none that can make difference to turning this program around..

I’m now more interested on how we handle this loss and what we can accomplish in the next four games which are very winnable games…
NU has a long ways to go.

I saw guys getting pancaked on defense and guys just straight quit.

Idk if UM had in 2nd stringers midway thru the 3rd Q, but they were pancaking whatever we had on D.

This staff is trying to turn the roster over without being like prime. I expect to see results in 2025.
Agreed. And they are not throwing the current guys under the bus. Rhule is doing it respectfully . He told us it would be a process, building a strong foundation over time. I, for one, am on board with that.

As Farmer said after Frost was fired last season, it's going to take some time to get over playing paddy-cake for 5 years. It ain't going to happen in 10 months.

These next few games will tell us a lot.
It’s inexcusable to not have better than average QB play just because there’s literally 100 options out there better than what we have. Find one.

I will say I don’t hate Haarberg or his potential. But that’s a big gamble when I’d be much happier having a clear, PROVEN #1 that he’d have to beat out instead of rolling the dice.
Have to find a gamer. If you can’t find one, need a new coach. QBs also attract WRs.

OL is #1 issue as everyone in the room knows it as the obvious elephant.
That’s much harder to flip because of the development and numbers required. QBs grow on trees by comparison to the OL you really have to mine for and allow years to grow and mature. Probably not enough good ones in the portal when everyone goes after the same few.
Regardless, our OL development has been abysmal.

While not exactly costing us in these losses, not having a functional kicking game can be killer as well.

Defensive line depth is a concern, but as for this year, our defense has done enough to help us win games. More time in system will only help them improve.

Offense struggles to handle all basic operations of the game like line up and run a play.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
These next few games will tell us a lot.
It’s inexcusable to not have better than average QB play just because there’s literally 100 options out there better than what we have. Find one.

I will say I don’t hate Haarberg or his potential. But that’s a big gamble when I’d be much happier having a clear, PROVEN #1 that he’d have to beat out instead of rolling the dice.
Have to find a gamer. If you can’t find one, need a new coach. QBs also attract WRs.

OL is #1 issue as everyone in the room knows it as the obvious elephant.
That’s much harder to flip because of the development and numbers required. QBs grow on trees by comparison to the OL you really have to mine for and allow years to grow and mature. Probably not enough good ones in the portal when everyone goes after the same few.
Regardless, our OL development has been abysmal.

While not exactly costing us in these losses, not having a functional kicking game can be killer as well.

Defensive line depth is a concern, but as for this year, our defense has done enough to help us win games. More time in system will only help them improve.

Offense struggles to handle all basic operations of the game like line up and run a play.
The kicking game is a big weakness that's been little talked about. We can't reliably get 3 points when we are in field goal range. I haven't looked at the stats but it seems like we are sub .500 on field goals this season.

Agree 100%. All coaches are about the same with X’s and O’s and the culture and motivation stuff. The successful coaches are those who can get the best players want to come and play for them.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
The players are good enough to match up with every team on the 2023 schedule except for Michigan. So far, the coaching has not been very good and far below what they are getting paid. The offensive game plans at times against Minny and Colorado were not good. And we saw that again against Michigan. No reason to throw the ball when HH was picked at that stage of the game, the shotgun QB sneak was right up there with Frost's onside kick for being moronic, and there was no reason to waste a TO before running the shotgun QB sneak. Just go up to the line and quickcount for the 12 inches they needed.

QB should be the number one priority followed by OL. A really good qb can make a shit line look somewhat competent. A lousy qb will make an average to below average line look downright pathetic. I know this line is not good at all, but I'd bet the house they would look a thousand times better with a really good qb under center. It all starts with the quarterback and Nebraska has to finally get after it.

Why would one pay $170 a ticket for the product Nebraska has out on the field for the last 15+ years?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT