ADVERTISEMENT

Can we finally now stop the nonsense?

All kidding aside, I really feel for our coaches. They're doing their best. They make mistakes, but Nick Saban makes mistakes. I have been very critical of the walk on program, but they're trying their best. I'm not critical of our fans. Nobody supports their team better than we do, even to a fault. Our media sometimes over hypes our talent, but what are they supposed to do. Who do I blame? Good question! I'll get back to you.

Many have said, including myself, that we have talent on this team based on our recruiting rankings but that it has been poorly coached.

We do not have talent on this team. Recruiting rankings be damned. There is only one way to get Nebraska football back. We need to bring in better players. Period.

Rhule will succeed or fail based on that metric. So let’s stop talking nonsense about how we have talent on this team because we don’t. And that is true of every damn position.
you want better players? need to be in a better conference.

it's either B1G money and be comfortable blowing money on stadium renovations while the administration pockets millions and the actual product sucks

or you go back to your historical identity, currently known as the Big 12.. take a little less money, agree you f'd up changing conferences, and start trying to get better players through the old Texas pipelines like we used to.

Those are the options.

While maybe Rhule will have some success later, remains to be seen, but he won't be here long term, and neither will the success, if any, remain long term.

So what do you want?

B1G money or football success?

We should leave this conference as soon as possible. Like yesterday if you ask me.

We need a total roster overhaul of our veteran players. We need most of the offensive line to take a hike.
You must think that somehow next year's recruiting of transfers will be 10 times better than its ever been. I wish I shared in that assumptive optimism. We brought in a dozen or more this year and how many of them have made an instant impact? How many true difference makers?

it's either B1G money and be comfortable blowing money on stadium renovations while the administration pockets millions and the actual product sucks

or you go back to your historical identity, currently known as the Big 12.. take a little less money, agree you f'd up changing conferences, and start trying to get better players through the old Texas pipelines like we used to.

Those are the options.

While maybe Rhule will have some success later, remains to be seen, but he won't be here long term, and neither will the success, if any, remain long term.

So what do you want?

We should leave this conference as soon as possible. Like yesterday if you ask me.
If we just turn the clock back and mimick the same offense Tom ran, get players from Texas and rejoin the B12 life will be good? That is a winning combination?

And we should funnel money to players both from the university and the private donors? How many universities are doing that? Surely there is a model?

OU and Texas bith need to bring back with wishbone and imitate Royal and Switzer, what are they thinking now?

My biggest concern is Rhule’s decision making. Offensively he couldn’t have done worse with his hires and our personnel, particularly given the funds available. I am not impressed with Satterfield at all, but maybe it’s the players. We just have to hope Rhule knows what the hell he’s doing, but there’s a lot of red flags here.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
If we just turn the clock back and mimick the same offense Tom ran, get players from Texas and rejoin the B12 life will be good? That is a winning combination?

And we should funnel money to players both from the university and the private donors? How many universities are doing that? Surely there is a model?

OU and Texas bith need to bring back with wishbone and imitate Royal and Switzer, what are they thinking now?
OU & UT have recruiting bases, we don't..

it's like you don't understand what made Nebraska successful in the first place..

OU & UT have recruiting bases, we don't..

it's like you don't understand what made Nebraska successful in the first place..
No, that's just it, I do understand. It was the person running those programs and schemes. He spotted the talent all over the country, from Frazier out of Florida to Berringer from Kansas and everywhere in between. New Jersey was a hot bed and Phillips came from California.

We have never had a recruiting base but magically we had a coach who could recruit Nationally. Nothing has changed.

You are stuck on a system or the good low days all the while forgetting the architect of those days. You just don't get it. If it were as simple as you say then everyone would have done it, it is just Nebraska who can do that. Good grief.

No, that's just it, I do understand. It was the person running those programs and schemes. He spotted the talent all over the country, from Frazier out of Florida to Berringer from Kansas and everywhere in between. New Jersey was a hot bed and Phillips came from California.

We have never had a recruiting base but magically we had a coach who could recruit Nationally. Nothing has changed.

You are stuck on a system or the good low days all the while forgetting the architect of those days. You just don't get it. If it were as simple as you say then everyone would have done it, it is just Nebraska who can do that. Good grief.
No, you just don't get it. We did 1 thing, run the ball. We did it with running backs playing QB. We didn't have a QB development program or good wideouts.. we just needed a few good running backs, and a great blocking line and wide receiver group.

It's super simple.. It wasn't Tom being some kind of magician.. heck he was listening to KFAB for advice during the games.

We ran a gimmick offense that nobody could prepare for in a conference of crappy teams.. that was how we achieved success of winning 9 games a year. It wasn't until later that the defense got revised that we were able to hang with the Florida teams and finally win (when certain coaches moved on).

It was NOT about the guy.. it was the system.

No, you just don't get it. We did 1 thing, run the ball. We did it with running backs playing QB. We didn't have a QB development program or good wideouts.. we just needed a few good running backs, and a great blocking line and wide receiver group.

It's super simple.. It wasn't Tom being some kind of magician.. heck he was listening to KFAB for advice during the games.

We ran a gimmick offense that nobody could prepare for in a conference of crappy teams.. that was how we achieved success of winning 9 games a year. It wasn't until later that the defense got revised that we were able to hang with the Florida teams and finally win (when certain coaches moved on).

It was NOT about the guy.. it was the system.
Are you saying we would have won national titles with Rhule in the 90s if he ran the option?

Are you saying we would have won national titles with Rhule in the 90s if he ran the option?
It doesn't take much intelligence to run Tom's system.. just dedication to that system. Lot's of coaches could be successful running that system at Nebraska, if you could find one humble enough to do it.

We are never going to become some sort of good QB development program. It just isn't going to happen with any sort of regularity at Nebraska.

We CAN develop good blockers. and then recruit a handful of good running backs.. That was and still is the formula for success and something we can do consistently year after year.

It doesn't take much intelligence to run Tom's system.. just dedication to that system. Lot's of coaches could be successful running that system at Nebraska, if you could find one humble enough to do it.

We are never going to become some sort of good QB development program. It just isn't going to happen with any sort of regularity at Nebraska.

We CAN develop good blockers. and then recruit a handful of good running backs.. That was and still is the formula for success and something we can do consistently year after year.
Fire Alberts and hire the army or Air Force coach

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

You are way oversimplifying things and discrediting a ton of success with this laughably bad take. If it was so easy to run, others would have been able to do it as well which nobody did in the 90's. Osborne won 13 conference championships and 3 national titles and never won fewer than 9 games. Not giving him a TON OF CREDIT is pure stupidity. Especially when it has been revealed winning at Nebraska is extremely difficult.

You are way oversimplifying things and discrediting a ton of success with this laughably bad take. If it was so easy to run, others would have been able to do it as well which nobody did in the 90's. Osborne won 13 conference championships and 3 national titles and never won fewer than 9 games. Not giving him a TON OF CREDIT is pure stupidity. Especially when it has been revealed winning at Nebraska is extremely difficult.
Pelini made it look easy

Pelini made it look easy
Pelini is such an amazing coach he's been unemployed for three years. Something's wrong if 128 desperate FBS teams won't take a chance on him, even as a coordinator.

Not that it matters. He's never coming back, and we have Matt Rhule. So constantly bringing up coaching staffs and hoping after five whole games that we can throw the baby out with the bath water AGAIN and go through another rebuilding AGAIN and lose another recruiting class AGAIN and ask the players to adjust to a new scheme AGAIN and new coaches AGAIN and new strength staff AGAIN.

Let's maybe see how the season ends first. Nebraska fans are so masochistic at this point they want Rhule to fail.

l
Pelini is such an amazing coach he's been unemployed for three years. Something's wrong if 128 desperate FBS teams won't take a chance on him, even as a coordinator.

Not that it matters. He's never coming back, and we have Matt Rhule. So constantly bringing up coaching staffs and hoping after five whole games that we can throw the baby out with the bath water AGAIN and go through another rebuilding AGAIN and lose another recruiting class AGAIN and ask the players to adjust to a new scheme AGAIN and new coaches AGAIN and new strength staff AGAIN.

Let's maybe see how the season ends first. Nebraska fans are so masochistic at this point they want Rhule to fail.
You’re responding to a troll, in case you didn’t know that.

Many have said, including myself, that we have talent on this team based on our recruiting rankings but that it has been poorly coached.

We do not have talent on this team. Recruiting rankings be damned. There is only one way to get Nebraska football back. We need to bring in better players. Period.

Rhule will succeed or fail based on that metric. So let’s stop talking nonsense about how we have talent on this team because we don’t. And that is true of every damn position.
100% true,we are average to below average across the board.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

Those are the options.

So what do you want?

I agree.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
If you want to believe we're cursed that's up to you. A lot of those so called 4 stars from the previous regime washed out. Getting a QB in the portal that can pass would have really helped but it didn't happen, still would have lost to Michigan.

I wouldn't pay $170 a ticket either for the current product.
That's why I question Rhule's decisions concerning Sims, then gaslighting everyone about pretending to be shocked to learn Sims was a turnover machine of epic proportions.

And not a clutch player to boot.

Is that the best Nebraska can expect......we are.fvcked.

That's why I question Rhule's decisions concerning Sims, then gaslighting everyone about pretending to be shocked to learn Sims was a turnover machine of epic proportions.

Hope springs eternal. He hoped that what he saw in practice would translate to games. He hoped his experience, and Satterfield’s, could fix the issues Sims had at Ga Tech. Unfortunately, a lot of folks can’t take the swing from the range to the course. Berringer struggled till his junior year, Mike Grant was talented, and knew enough to become a coach, but on the field……. If it was easy to read defenses in front of 80,000 fans everyone would do it.
I wish we weren’t such d-cks to players who struggle, imply they are dumb, lazy etc.. They may get money now, but they are still kids. We are adults.

our recruiting has been poor since Riley. Consistently outside the top 25.

• Haha
Hope springs eternal. He hoped that what he saw in practice would translate to games. He hoped his experience, and Satterfield’s, could fix the issues Sims had at Ga Tech. Unfortunately, a lot of folks can’t take the swing from the range to the course. Berringer struggled till his junior year, Mike Grant was talented, and knew enough to become a coach, but on the field……. If it was easy to read defenses in front of 80,000 fans everyone would do it.
I wish we weren’t such d-cks to players who struggle, imply they are dumb, lazy etc.. They may get money now, but they are still kids. We are adults.
I think many aren’t necessarily criticizing Sims they are criticizing Rhule for a poor evaluation of portal QB options and then further compounding this error by misjudging the QBs in his own QB room

you can’t botch the handling of the most important position in all of sports

We beat Minnesota with Haarberg and at least have a chance against CU

Last edited:
our recruiting has been poor since Riley. Consistently outside the top 25.
But better than many of the teams we have lost to in the conference. Teams like Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue and yes, Iowa. My point is that our recruiting rankings are deceptive. So many of our so-called four star recruits ended up transferring, quitting football, or just being a bust (e.g. Corcoran).

But better than many of the teams we have lost to in the conference. Teams like Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue and yes, Iowa. My point is that our recruiting rankings are deceptive. So many of our so-called four star recruits ended up transferring, quitting football, or just being a bust (e.g. Corcoran).
not wrong, just opining that we need top-10 classes occasionally if we ever wanna sniff the top 10.

Last top-10 was under Cally. We've never been close to that level of talent, again. Coaching was abysmal, but at least we had the CAPABILITY of winning.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
not wrong, just opining that we need top-10 classes occasionally if we ever wanna sniff the top 10.

Last top-10 was under Cally. We've never been close to that level of talent, again. Coaching was abysmal, but at least we had the CAPABILITY of winning.
I think those top ten kind of classes will come to us eventually. But we need to start winning the games we are supposed to win against teams like Northwestern and Purdue. If we have a few years of 9-3 or 10-2 seasons then we can start building better and better recruiting classes. We are not going to leap into a top ten class overnight unless we hire an Urban Meyer type splash hire. And in this day and age we also need to really beef up our NIL money. If we can afford 450 million for a renovated stadium we can afford millions in NIL as well. So do it damn it. Or forget the renovations. The stadium will be empty anyway.

I think those top ten kind of classes will come to us eventually. But we need to start winning the games we are supposed to win against teams like Northwestern and Purdue. If we have a few years of 9-3 or 10-2 seasons then we can start building better and better recruiting classes. We are not going to leap into a top ten class overnight unless we hire an Urban Meyer type splash hire. And in this day and age we also need to really beef up our NIL money. If we can afford 450 million for a renovated stadium we can afford millions in NIL as well. So do it damn it. Or forget the renovations. The stadium will be empty anyway.
^^^^ exactly. Problem is, we're Nebraska fans. Will bitch about the team lacking talent, but then pucker up tighter than a snare drum when it comes time to give money directly to the athletes. Which is basically why we're in the position we're in. It won't happen, but I'd love to see this $450M stadium effort fail in place of securing a functional Athlete Talent fund. I'd love to see our sellout streak end unceremoniously, if it'd change the lust for talent within the athletic department.

At least people got to see just how poorly we stack up against a truly good team.

Rhule hadn't had time to evaluate qbs so he took the advice of a coach he knew well. Let's see what type of qb he brings in now that he has time to try and evaluate prospects.

Talent... Talent has been squandered by previous regimes either by not developing them appropriately or by getting talent "with baggage"... The new Regime under a new direction has pushed out a lot of those that couldn't buy in... the rest are split between 1) those that have bought in and are NU's few "Dudes", 2) those that want it but have bad habits taught to them by previous coaching staffs and 3) those that want it but aren't talented enough to hang... Toss this in with a history of losses and that mentality is a tough one to shake...

This was Game 5 against the #2 team... it defiantly showed just how far there is to go to play at that level but as others have said... The Huskers DO have the talent to compete with anyone left on the schedule...

I do trust in Rhule and I do think the team will learn and grow... I just personally think it's going to take longer than the 3 years most are expecting... Yes, next year there's a serious infusion of talent coming in QB/WR's... I just don't see them coming out on all 8 cylinders as True Freshmen making a direct difference... it's going to take a couple of years to build that up. So unless there is some serious talent in the Portal and they can get those types to commit it's gonna be a long road...

Defensively it was bad. Offensively Callahan was pretty good. 2007 warped a lot people's perceptions. I've always wondered what might have been in 2008 and onward with a new DC. The recruiting class that Callahan was building had guys like Blaine Gabbert and the following couple years the defense was built around Callahan recruits like Suh.
TBH the biggest issue with Callahan was he was hired by the guy that fired the Nebraska guy and the moment things didn't go well we was going to be fired by the lynch mob. If you played the 2002-2003 Nebraska teams against the average Callahan teams from 2005-2007 they probably lose. The 2003 record was a result of a very easy schedule and the 2007 schedule was brutal.

Some things I "try" to live by in all of this.

1. Don't read the articles about Husker FB.
2. Limit how much time you spend on this board. The constants will always be present and I kick myself every time for replying to the same junk about play calling, playing the wrong people, getting into contests with Iowa fans which I refuse to do, making fun of programs that have been besting us regularly when they have bad days, telling Trec how to spend donor money on NIL and generally acting like they know more than the coaches.
3. Understand that we only should win on paper where games are not played. "We out recruit' all others in the west doesn't take into account transfers in and out, injuries and coaching changes. We are severely lacking in talent across the board, period.
4. Don't go gagga over: a Nebraska kid making a splash play in the spring game, label some player as "athletic" and should be playing more he wouldn't be there if he wasn't athletic, now is he D1 athletic, think any of us can judge players by watching a few clips. Remember those of Sims? Oh and the worn out phrase that Rhule told us it will take 3 years. And a few more favorites, players have to be from Neraska to have heart, we have to have a FB and run from the I and certain players were promised playing time, yep coaches love to make promises they can't keep. Or thinking we have become world beaters and will run the table after beating power houses like LA Tech and NIL.
5. Rhule isn't an idiot, although some already want he and Trev gone. Good grief. Give the guy some time. He inherited a mess.

Now on with my life and a few days in the wilderness with little internet access, just peace and quiet. And the sun will come up, Nebraska will still struggle, gotta love comments like "show me a game we lose besides Michigan" and watch the latest predictions based on getting blown out.

Horseshvt the are paid employees and very well paid ......take the heat or get the fvck out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT