ADVERTISEMENT

Burtch tore meniscus, Suspensions

Nebraska has shown the ability to compete with the best teams in the country the last few years and looked like the better team during parts of those games. They just couldn't keep it going for a full game. Ever. Even against bad teams. Saying Nebraska has equal talent of Oregon state is ridiculous and the results of games despite Oregon state having superior coaching strongly disagree with that.

Let's put it this way, if what this reporter (who is friends with Riley) is correct, then he's also saying Pelini is a much better coach than Riley. And that I refuse to buy at this point
Wisconsin scored again

Reactions: BornNBredRed
Besides, here we are getting better overall coaching; not sure that is true with Texas. The BTN tour group is much better at judging talent historically; so their evaluation is good news - I get the wondering " why can't we figure it out" ; but it appears the new coaches and AD are going to help them with that. They are here to win; coordinators as position coaches, they believe they can get it done with challenges.

Reporter said he and Riley were high school & college friends and that he covered Riley during Riley's entire time as OSU.
He doesn't think Nebraska really has much better talent than anything he saw at OSU, especially at WR. Thinks if Armstrong goes down, we could be in real trouble as QB's behind him are a drop-off. Also doesn't think our RB's are that great. Does think our O and D lines are better. He also specified that this is based off of just one practice, so it's just his general observation from a limited sampling.

Take this with a huge grain of salt. Not a real secret that QB play behind Armstrong is weak. But our RB's are pretty solid, multiple other outlets have said so.

Highly doubtful Riley would have come here if Nebraska didn't have better talent.

I love it...Riley is coaching another guys players, that guy set up a culture of blame and lack of accountability. Players were gods who could not be benched or criticized. Riley doesn't care, he is going to retire after this gig, has seen everything, and now he has a bunch of players who are acting like jokes, acting like they are great because they play for Nebraska....and were recruited by Bo...it is no coincidence that they came out unprepared time and time again in big games, they thought they could roll the ball out and win. I don't expect Riley to win here in the next four years, there is no way he was hired to do so...he was hired to flip the culture of the program, and he will do this in a year or two, but it is going to be ugly this year. A ton of suspensions, benching, a ton of players quitting...this is going to be similar to Texas the last two years...the only thing that changed when Riley got hired initially was the players who were benched thought they were going to be given the starting position...the culture of us against the world still exists, and will, until Riley shows them they are not that great. And their record shows this..he is the perfect coach to lead us to some really bad seasons, clear house and then we open up the check book in 4 years.

Remember this is a team that has had a TON of talent the last 4 years, especially for the big 10, and they finished 3-24 against top 25 teams...in Bo's tenure, including many of the worst blowouts in FCS....cleaning house is necessary still...

I'm not sure which planet you've been on during the off-season, but Riley had better win.

Reactions: k9_r and jeff v4
I like how he did this. Even if he didn't want it out, he realized they said it and to deny it or claim privacy would be childish. God this is so refreshing.
Agree. Just a sincere apology. Riley has to be pissed at his reporter buddy right now just for the way he presented some things if nothing else. Hopefully the players don't get their panties in a wad over it. Ultimately they're responsible for their screwups and practice performance. I suspect NU isn't done with departures.

I totally agree and I can't stand this and I am so tired of people saying "Well, I don't care if we go 7-5 as long as the losses are close"

No no no...Not at Nebraska. We don't root for close losses.
Of course EVERYBODY cares about the record. The point is if you are going to lose 4-5 games per year you have ZERO margin for acting like a jackass towards fans, administration and the media. Riley knows he really needs to win 9 at least to keep the Bolievers quiet and I can GUARANDAMNEDTEE you they are shooting to win em all.

Of course EVERYBODY cares about the record. The point is if you are going to lose 4-5 games per year you have ZERO margin for acting like a jackass towards fans, administration and the media. Riley knows he really needs to win 9 at least to keep the Bolievers quiet and I can GUARANDAMNEDTEE you they are shooting to win em all.
Amen!

You all need to Re-read my original post. I was speaking to Nebraska having talent to compete with the tops teams, but coaching and frail team mentality was holding us back. The talent showed up at times so the potential to be a top tier team is there. Sheesh.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Do you watch football?

Up 17-3, game seemingly in control until Gordon got loose once. Then the team fell apart. Happened when we went to Madison and Columbus in 2011 and 2012( to lesser extents. We were competitive early, then fell apart).

Agree. Just a sincere apology. Riley has to be pissed at his reporter buddy right now just for the way he presented some things if nothing else. Hopefully the players don't get their panties in a wad over it. Ultimately they're responsible for their screwups and practice performance. I suspect NU isn't done with departures.
That's why I wanted a change for 4 years. Every season the lunatic was in charge, the poison would set in deeper. It was always gonna take a while to heal from it. The most disgusting thing is people were so afraid to change it, even though most sane people realized it was a terrible culture. The last guy dared his boss to fire him, and was a combative jackass. Then to have the unmitigated gall to tell people he didn't feel supported? Really? You do everything in your power to be a nightmare employee and then expect your diaper powdered? Really? If any players are still following that paranoid culture, they may be talented, but in the long run the program will be healthier if they move on.

Reactions: vs540husker
That's why I wanted a change for 4 years. Every season the lunatic was in charge, the poison would set in deeper. It was always gonna take a while to heal from it. The most disgusting thing is people were so afraid to change it, even though most sane people realized it was a terrible culture. The last guy dared his boss to fire him, and was a combative jackass. Then to have the unmitigated gall to tell people he didn't feel supported? Really? You do everything in your power to be a nightmare employee and then expect your diaper powdered? Really? If any players are still following that paranoid culture, they may be talented, but in the long run the program will be healthier if they move on.

Amen

DIAPER POWDERED! LaughingLaughingRollingLaugh

I totally agree and I can't stand this and I am so tired of people saying "Well, I don't care if we go 7-5 as long as the losses are close"

No no no...Not at Nebraska. We don't root for close losses.
I am so tired of comments like this!

There is not one single fan "rooting" for close losses... Not a single one. You are interpreting this wrong and pretty much yelling at no one.

Me... I'm not "rooting" for close losses. I'm saying "if" I had to choose between the two I would rather be 7-5 with no embarrassing losses than 9-4 with losses like UCLA and Wisconsin.

I'm tired of melt downs! Is that so hard to understand?

I would be a hell of a lot less disappointed if we played hard for all 4 quarters and lost, but I'd be a whole lot happier if we didn't lose at all

Last edited:
Definitely going to be recognizable guys, per Riley's presser comment.

I am so tired of comments like this!

There is not one single fan "rooting" for close losses... Not a single one. You are interpreting this wrong and pretty much yelling at no one.

Me... I'm not "rooting" for close losses. I'm saying "if" I had to choose between the two I would rather be 7-5 with no embarrassing losses than 9-4 with losses like UCLA and Wisconsin.

I'm tired of melt downs! Is that so hard to understand?

I would be a hell of a lot less disappointed if we played hard for all 4 quarters and lost, but I'd be a whole lot happier if we didn't lose at all

We are Nebraska...we are not "less disappointed" with close losses. It is a loss.

We are Nebraska...we are not "less disappointed" with close losses. It is a loss.
Correct...I have never understood this mentality. This year set up perfectly for us. It's a bad schedule and the only really tough game is at home. Close losses with this schedule is especially pathetic.

Correct...I have never understood this mentality. This year set up perfectly for us. It's a bad schedule and the only really tough game is at home. Close losses with this schedule is especially pathetic.
I agree BUT the thing that HAS to happen FIRST is to CHANGE THE CULTURE. IF that means we only win 7, its still worth it in the long run. Most mature adults realize that short term gratification (first year record) might not necessarily be the be all end all for what is best for the program and university. Personally I will be somewhat surprised if we don't at least hit the Pelini line (9 wins) but I'm willing to be patient. I want to be proud of how our team plays and how our coaches and players represent our university and state. That's first for me THEN win em all. You could win em all and I would still want you fired if you behaved like Pelini.

Santos is off the team due to grades.

Other dismissals are most likely for weed.

We can all gripe about who is the more "real" fan based on what we expect, but the practical matter is that for this year, the fans' expectations matter little except in probably the most unlikely and absurd cases.

Eichorst will be doing the evaluating, and Eichorst will be doing the firing. Unless he wants to look like an idiot for making the hire and not giving a transition grace period, there will be no firing of Mike Riley for 7 or 8 wins, even if it falls below some of the "We are NU" fans' expectations of "better wins than Bo right now is the only way the move was justified".

Old Riley would would have to go winless like that Southern Miss coach or some extreme scenario like that to completely abolish what is pretty obviously a long leash this year and possibly next.

The one saving grace for NU football with high level coaches is that even though we have lofty standards (standards that many fans and media pundits and possibly some coaching circles don't think can be fulfilled), is that NU is at least perceived to give a coach time to get to those lofty standards in the cases of Solich, Callahan and Pelini.

If NU goes out and gets desparate, and starts throwing out coaches for not "Restoring the Order" within the first two years of a coach transition, we can pretty much guarandamtee that NU is going to have to make its bed with lower level coaches and coordinators who are looking for their first real HC job.

Up 17-3, game seemingly in control until Gordon got loose once. Then the team fell apart. Happened when we went to Madison and Columbus in 2011 and 2012( to lesser extents. We were competitive early, then fell apart).
Shine - not sure if your word "team" includes the coaches or not, but it is probable that a big part of those meltdowns was the other team saw something, began exploiting it, and our staff had no clue how to adjust. No better example than the UCLA game in Lincoln where we were doing real well, Mora tweaked his playcalling, dared a gimpy T-Mart to pass, and it was all over. Maybe a matter of semantics, but I look at that more as the inability to adjust rather than falling apart.

Shine - not sure if your word "team" includes the coaches or not, but it is probable that a big part of those meltdowns was the other team saw something, began exploiting it, and our staff had no clue how to adjust. No better example than the UCLA game in Lincoln where we were doing real well, Mora tweaked his playcalling, dared a gimpy T-Mart to pass, and it was all over. Maybe a matter of semantics, but I look at that more as the inability to adjust rather than falling apart.
I think the important point being made is that we had the talent to compete with and briefly dominate really good teams-it was coaching that let us down. Whether it was "falling apart" or inability to make adjustments isn't really all that important-either way it was a coaching issue. The idea that we have talent on the level of Oregon State is ludicrous and our ability to compete with and dominate some really good teams for awhile before things went awry indicates it.

I agree BUT the thing that HAS to happen FIRST is to CHANGE THE CULTURE. IF that means we only win 7, its still worth it in the long run. Most mature adults realize that short term gratification (first year record) might not necessarily be the be all end all for what is best for the program and university. Personally I will be somewhat surprised if we don't at least hit the Pelini line (9 wins) but I'm willing to be patient. I want to be proud of how our team plays and how our coaches and players represent our university and state. That's first for me THEN win em all. You could win em all and I would still want you fired if you behaved like Pelini.
No disagreement on the bolded part. I said that about Pelini even before the first tape came out. But at some point this isn't about Bo. We all want to win the right way...but a key word in there is win.

I also wonder who the missing commit is.

Terry Wilson. Notice staff is still recruiting QB's. 4 Star QB from FL Xavier Gaines is working on setting up a visit. Hearing rumors of other QB's the staff is recruiting. No way they take 3 QB's in 2016's class. Think the staff wrote Terry off to Oregon.

Terry Wilson. Notice staff is still recruiting QB's. 4 Star QB from FL Xavier Gaines is working on setting up a visit. Hearing rumors of other QB's the staff is recruiting. No way they take 3 QB's in 2016's class. Think the staff wrote Terry off to Oregon.

The staff is smart to keep recruiting a QB. Wilson obviously is not solid and still looking around.

Bull$#!+.....winning fixes EVERYTHING...even jackassery. Maybe a casual/bandwagon fan would jump off, but not one that's been waiting since '97 to see another trophy in Lincoln. We would have SCOREBOARD on anybody who called us out and sometimes SCOREBOARD is all you need. If we haven't figured out that winning is EVERYTHING in college football these days, we WILL NOT win another. It's the sad truth.

Bull$#!+.....winning fixes EVERYTHING...even jackassery. Maybe a casual/bandwagon fan would jump off, but not one that's been waiting since '97 to see another trophy in Lincoln. We would have SCOREBOARD on anybody who called us out and sometimes SCOREBOARD is all you need. If we haven't figured out that winning is EVERYTHING in college football these days, we WILL NOT win another. It's the sad truth.

I would not have wanted that immature tool to stay at NU even if he won back to back to back national titles. Part of his job is to raise young men and mentor them. He taught a bunch of young men exactly how not to act in society.

I love it...Riley is coaching another guys players, that guy set up a culture of blame and lack of accountability. Players were gods who could not be benched or criticized. Riley doesn't care, he is going to retire after this gig, has seen everything, and now he has a bunch of players who are acting like jokes, acting like they are great because they play for Nebraska....and were recruited by Bo...it is no coincidence that they came out unprepared time and time again in big games, they thought they could roll the ball out and win. I don't expect Riley to win here in the next four years, there is no way he was hired to do so...he was hired to flip the culture of the program, and he will do this in a year or two, but it is going to be ugly this year. A ton of suspensions, benching, a ton of players quitting...this is going to be similar to Texas the last two years...the only thing that changed when Riley got hired initially was the players who were benched thought they were going to be given the starting position...the culture of us against the world still exists, and will, until Riley shows them they are not that great. And their record shows this..he is the perfect coach to lead us to some really bad seasons, clear house and then we open up the check book in 4 years.

Remember this is a team that has had a TON of talent the last 4 years, especially for the big 10, and they finished 3-24 against top 25 teams...in Bo's tenure, including many of the worst blowouts in FCS....cleaning house is necessary still...
I am going to save this. FYI.

I would not have wanted that immature tool to stay at NU even if he won back to back to back national titles. Part of his job is to raise young men and mentor them. He taught a bunch of young men exactly how not to act in society.

That's fine, to each his own, but if you believe raising proper young men is a CFB coach's job, I can't help you. Today's FOOTBALL FACTORY universities are not raising ANY students properly, much less it's athletes. Open your eyes, bud. Who's the last national champion that within 5 years of winning it all hasn't had rampant criminal behavior, violations or a coach that leaves for something better? You can't be "nice" & "clean" AND win when everyone else is dirty.

You guys never cease to amaze. Everything is out of line! Golly, we better hope none of these kids get their FEELINGS HURT BY AN ARTICLE THAT TELLS THE TRUTH!!!!

The problem that you're having is that you're actually getting some honest information out of the coaching staff, and you don't know what to do with it. What a departure to hear some actual information on what's going on. Quick, somebody tell us of an injured guy that "he'll be fine," that a new player is "swimming in it right now," and that somebody else "is doing some good things."

Good for Bray that he has a read on his players to know if he's gonna lose a kid if he rides pine all year. They're not all created equal. Remember Aaron Green? Braylon Heard? Talented kids end up gone if you can't find a use for them. Some guys would rather play in the FCS than warm an FBS bench.
I think you miss the point. The allegedly disaffected player is entitled to straight talk from the coaches about his status and he indeed may need a Fix Your Attitude talk. If THAT hurts his feelings, so be it. But he should not hear about it through the media. He should hear it directly from his coaches.

I wanted Bo and his behavior gone too, but don't for one minute tell me that if he won a Natty it wouldn't have been excused. If you believe differently, I can't help you understand today's society.

Bo was an ass and embarrassed Neb, if he had won a NC I would have felt the same. Classless pos.

I wanted Bo and his behavior gone too, but don't for one minute tell me that if he won a Natty it wouldn't have been excused. If you believe differently, I can't help you understand today's society.

Bo's behavior was a big reason why the team played the way it did and did not win any sort of title while he was here.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I think you miss the point. The allegedly disaffected player is entitled to straight talk from the coaches about his status and he indeed may need a Fix Your Attitude talk. If THAT hurts his feelings, so be it. But he should not hear about it through the media. He should hear it directly from his coaches.
I would be very surprised if the player in question had not already had a conversation with the coaches about this very thing. The fact that it came out in the media doesn't mean that they haven't already had that conversation.

Mo Barry was the player and I dont think aything in the article would be a surprise..that being said it shouldnt have been published

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT