ADVERTISEMENT

Burtch tore meniscus, Suspensions

I guess I hope it is a CB. BYU isn't a great passing team and we have depth at CB.

The OWH is reporting that possibly five players are suspended for the first game including a defensive starter.

so do we

Riley asks Van De Riet, “Who is going to miss the first game?” He means because of suspensions. Van De Riet names five players, including one defensive starter.

“That’s the one problem,” Banker notes.

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-s...nes-at-camp-riley-puts-husker-pieces-in-place
There is quite a bit in this article that probably shouldnt be

Secondary coach Brian Stewart says he has a couple of players who think they are doing much better than they are.

“Yeah, some guys think they’re doing great, think they’re on the ‘Husker’ team (as a starter), and they’re actually fourth team,” Riley says, laughing again. “I don’t know that that’s so bad. Keeps everybody rolling a little bit, but it’s not realistic.”

Part of the determination for the final travel roster spots will be whether the player can help with special teams. Talk turns to bringing a couple of freshmen out of a redshirt year if they fit there. Bray says he has a freshman linebacker who is struggling with the idea of redshirting and is going to be “high maintenance.”

“He feels separated from the group right now,” Bray says. “If he’s redshirting, he may just go (leave school). If he can help us win at anything, it’d be good to play him. If he can’t, he can’t. But if he can play special teams, maybe we bring him out of a redshirt year. If a guy can help us win, no reason to save (a year). We need to win now.”

Secondary coach Brian Stewart says he has a couple of players who think they are doing much better than they are.

“Yeah, some guys think they’re doing great, think they’re on the ‘Husker’ team (as a starter), and they’re actually fourth team,” Riley says, laughing again. “I don’t know that that’s so bad. Keeps everybody rolling a little bit, but it’s not realistic.”

Part of the determination for the final travel roster spots will be whether the player can help with special teams. Talk turns to bringing a couple of freshmen out of a redshirt year if they fit there. Bray says he has a freshman linebacker who is struggling with the idea of redshirting and is going to be “high maintenance.”

“He feels separated from the group right now,” Bray says. “If he’s redshirting, he may just go (leave school). If he can help us win at anything, it’d be good to play him. If he can’t, he can’t. But if he can play special teams, maybe we bring him out of a redshirt year. If a guy can help us win, no reason to save (a year). We need to win now.”
Well, this ain't coachspeak, that's for sure. Maybe Bray is trying to communicate with the kid by another means.

so do we

Riley asks Van De Riet, “Who is going to miss the first game?” He means because of suspensions. Van De Riet names five players, including one defensive starter.

“That’s the one problem,” Banker notes.

http://www.pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-s...nes-at-camp-riley-puts-husker-pieces-in-place

Can you imagine if this reporter followed around Bo and Carl and staff during their meetings.

Great insight on how the new coach & staff run a meetings. Coach MR seems to be rather even keeled in dealing with a variety of issues (which is a big plus).

As far as the suspension, let it play out. All of our players understand the rules.

GBR

any chance the suspensions they were referencing was the BYU guys?

That's what was hard to comprehend. Maybe the reporter had a mishap in understanding their conversation? It seemed to come out of nowhere.

Or we have 5 players suspended. Who knows? Hopefully not a starting linebacker.

Hate to speculate, but what if this is the reason that K Williams told reporters that he was not a back up? Could it be a DT? :(

Is it just me or is that article way to revealing of private coach discussions?
To me, it's way too revealing also. When certain players see this, it's going to require a bit of damage control. It's also obvious there are communication problems in that some players think they are higher string than they are. This article doesn't do anyone any good.

Reactions: dckchusker
To me, it's way too revealing also. When certain players see this, it's going to require a bit of damage control. It's also obvious there are communication problems in that some players think they are higher string than they are. This article doesn't do anyone any good.
Exactly. What are the players going to think about this.

Reactions: dckchusker
Totally agree. Just look at the true freshman LB comment, basically has to be one of two players. No way Coach Bray would want that out there.

Exactly. What are the players going to think about this.
The amount of 'laughter' in the article is also a problem.. The way the article reads may not be how it was in reality, but the article is already out there, so that is kind of hard to spin positively now. It creates a trust issue to me, if I'm one of those players.

The amount of 'laughter' in the article is also a problem.. The way the article reads may not be how it was in reality, but the article is already out there, so that is kind of hard to spin positively now. It creates a trust issue to me, if I'm one of those players.
Exactly. "Guy thinks he's starting when he's 4th string!!" *Laughter eruption*

Not good.

Exactly. "Guy thinks he's starting when he's 4th string!!" *Laughter eruption*

Not good.
Riley who has been so good at handling the press and saying all the right things made a mistake here:

First you do not let a Portland writer who has no ties to NU gain that type of access - the local guys are probably a bit pissed. Also the tone of the article would be different if it had a local writer

Second - too much personal info there on players no way I would have given access for this type of stuff to be put in the papers

everyone makes mistakes - and this is certainly something that never should have happened

Not good? People need to chill. Watch Hard Knocks or anything that gives you a full on behind the scenes. This is status quo.. People are reading way too much in to this.
Maybe for the pros. Not for 18 year old kids.

Riley who has been so good at handling the press and saying all the right things made a mistake here:

First you do not let a Portland writer who has no ties to NU gain that type of access - the local guys are probably a bit pissed. Also the tone of the article would be different if it had a local writer

Second - too much personal info there on players no way I would have given access for this type of stuff to be put in the papers

everyone makes mistakes - and this is certainly something that never should have happened
I can't figure out if this is a carefully orchestrated usage of the media to motivate some players, or it was a huge mistake and HCMR might be furious with the reporter. I suspect the latter. It is possible ADSE might be having his first sit down with his new head coach.

Updates or cliffs of the 1620 interview for those of us who can't listen?

Why would Riley ask the reporter who was suspended, as the OP quotation indicates. Sorry, but I think this has to be in reference to BYU.

apparently the writer goes way back with coach riley..
the writer also kind of dissed our receiving core (said the oregon state WR were much better)
Also thought our RB were just ok, but Oregon State had tremendous backs in the past
Said NU had better OL & DL, but overall said the talent was the same based on 1 practice.

1620 went real easy on him and didn't lead on that the article might be a problem

Why would Riley ask the reporter who was suspended, as the OP quotation indicates. Sorry, but I think this has to be in reference to BYU.

Riley wasn't talking to the reporter. Riley was asking Van De Riet (NU football operations). So, 5 it is.

ADVERTISEMENT