ADVERTISEMENT

Bronco's bench Wilson for last 2 games

Donkey's aren't going anywhere with him. They may as we'll see what they can do without him. And if wilson does come back next year, he's been shown that he is not the boss.

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_
It’s them saving their butts from a possible injury clause. Now they’ll be able to move on from him next year if they want, though it still won’t be cheap.

I like Stidham…Raiders obviously should have kept him instead of spending on Jimmy G.

I'm still not 100% sure what it's going to cost the donkeys to move on from Russell. It was explained to me that it's so much you just simply can't do it. I guess we'll see.

what a dream situation for a young QB. multiple great weapons, decent OL, SB-winning head coach

bummer to see Russell fall off an absolute cliff, feels like we as fans were robbed of a ton of good football.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I'm still not 100% sure what it's going to cost the donkeys to move on from Russell. It was explained to me that it's so much you just simply can't do it. I guess we'll see.
I assume the can't-do-it stems from NFL salary/luxury cap restrictions (I'm not up to speed on those)?? Otherwise, given the financial capacity of the Waltons, the question seems to be more of will-they vs can-they.

what a dream situation for a young QB. multiple great weapons, decent OL, SB-winning head coach

bummer to see Russell fall off an absolute cliff, feels like we as fans were robbed of a ton of good football.
Russell is a super bowl winning QB isn't he?

I assume the can't-do-it stems from NFL salary/luxury cap restrictions (I'm not up to speed on those)?? Otherwise, given the financial capacity of the Waltons, the question seems to be more of will-they vs can-they.

Waltons can afford it. Not what I meant. Salary cap is the issue. Cannot have so much dead money against it and expext to field a good team. ....if Wilson is on the books anyway (becauae its a huge guaranteed contract), may as well keep him around.

It’s them saving their butts from a possible injury clause. Now they’ll be able to move on from him next year if they want, though it still won’t be cheap.

I like Stidham…Raiders obviously should have kept him instead of spending on Jimmy G.
yep

they paid Stidham a lot in the offseason to come to Denver

honestly surprised it's taken this long

Interesting. This was a similar situation for Cardinals‘ qb Murray. But Cardinals gambled and played him even though the team already was effectively eliminated from playoffs before he played in his first game..Now if he gets hurt they are stuck paying him next year, unless they can trade him.

Trading for Wilson wouldn’t have been so bad, but then the dimwit GM gave him a huge contract extension without bothering to ask him to show up in shape. This year he was still pretty bad, but much improved over 2022 when he was dragging around a beer gut.

Here is what the Denver Post says about the salary cap hit that’s imposed by cutting him. It’s painful but probably worth it:

Cutting Wilson after the season would be painful financially, as he would leave $85 million in “dead cap” — money accelerated onto the Broncos’ salary cap either next year or, more likely, spread over the next two seasons.

However, given Wilson’s current contract, if the $37 million for 2025 becomes guaranteed in March, his dead cap number would actually rise slightly as it pertains to cutting him following the 2024 season. That is countered some by the fact that the NFL salary cap has consistently risen and so a similar dollar figure would count slightly less percentage-wise in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgbreis and schuele
Waltons can afford it. Not what I meant. Salary cap is the issue. Cannot have so much dead money against it and expext to field a good team. ....if Wilson is on the books anyway (becauae its a huge guaranteed contract), may as well keep him around.
One thing that could help is to roll with a young QB who doesn’t use as much cap space. A cheap cast off veteran would be an option too. They might figure it couldn’t be worse given what Seattle has done after Wilson’s departure.

There was a former player/NFL analyst on the radio today who believes there will be people interested in trading for Wilson but the Broncos no doubt will have to eat some of his contract. Carolina?
he has a no trade clause and zero reason to approve any trade

they'll release him prior to April when next year's salary becomes guaranteed and get nothing back

GCYnRWIWEAAc8J8

Sources to @BleacherReport: The #Broncos threatened to bench Russell Wilson weeks ago if he didn’t remove his injury guarantees.Russell Wilson’s benching by the Broncos today is solely financially related and has been in the works for weeks, per multiple sources with direct…

GCYnRWIWEAAc8J8

Sources to @BleacherReport: The #Broncos threatened to bench Russell Wilson weeks ago if he didn’t remove his injury guarantees.Russell Wilson’s benching by the Broncos today is solely financially related and has been in the works for weeks, per multiple sources with direct…
Make the whole thing even flakier lol crazy...

GCYnRWIWEAAc8J8

Their season was basically over. They aren’t going anywhere even IF they could have snuck in to the playoffs. It would make zero sense to risk him getting injured and destroying any trade value he might have.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) — Russell Wilson said he was caught off guard by the timing of his benching since the Denver Broncos still have a slim chance of making the playoffs.

A disappointed Wilson spoke to the media Friday after practice for the first time since the quarterback was sent to the sideline by coach Sean Payton. Wilson will back up Jarrett Stidham on Sunday against the Los Angeles Chargers.

It was difficult for Wilson to accept — even if there were warning signs. Wilson said the Broncos approached him soon after a win over Kansas City on Oct. 29 with an ultimatum: Adjust his contract or risk being benched. Wilson signed a five-year, $245 million contract extension last year that kicks in next season.

seattle times

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT