ADVERTISEMENT

Bill O’Brien

giphy.gif

WHO GIVES AF ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!
what is very - very interesting from reading is that a Mississippi law prohibits a public employee from signing a contract longer than 4 years

so at any one time the most guaranteed money he has is 30 million

8mill x 8 years would more than double his guaranteed money

hot damn -- I don't think he would come but they can't offer him more than 4 years - although I suspect a loophole would quickly be created if he was seriously considering leaving

"Kiffin will make $7.25 million in 2022 and receive a $100,000 raise every year through the contract's expiration in 2025. Mississippi law prohibits a public employee from signing a contract longer than four years."

Kiffin contract

I was opposed to him because of the NFL fiasco. I do remember when he took the job at PSU thinking PSU was dead and gone. What he did at PSU was truly remarkable. I think his style of offense would be a match to the midwest. He knows the B1G, like Bielema (SP?) so there will be zero learning curve, and if his only reason for leaving PSU was because of faulty leadership and lies, I do not blame him. Several quotes in the article hit the nail as far TA is concerned.

Thanks for the post, very good read. I could be behind this hire. BOB is a no-BS type of person, I like that in a coach.

My concerns with BOB, and why he wasn’t top of my list were really 2 things
- He wasn’t a good GM. Guess what, the college HC is also the GM. So has he learned anything?
- He is a good coach. The best pro coach and best college coach of this generation think so. They keep hiring him. So how long does he realistically stay? Not a great reason but if he is successful, does he stay more than a year or two?

i am fine with him as the head guy just based on what he did at PSU. I would like to see him keep MJ in some capacity.
He was successful at Penn State when they were an even bigger dumpster fire than we are now.

Well in all fairness he won the Division and made the playoffs 4 times in his 6 full seasons including I believe a couple of playoff wins. Dare I say more successful in the NFL than some guys named Spurrier, Saban, Holtz and Myer. Plus he did a fairly good job running a college program at Penn State.

Yep, I fall into the trap of 'is this a likable, relatable guy?' That cannot be primary. He kind of comes off like an ass at times, but he is capable and what truly matters is how he jives with his players. Can he build a winning culture and identity?
he’s a dick . Last head coach we had that was a total dick won a lot of games. I don’t classify Frost as A dick. I think Frost was just a drunk
Something’s screwed up with my “reply function”

Reactions: headcard
BOB is not even doing as good as job at Bama as Sark and Lane. (Run the ball a little bit more at the end of the game may have given the Vols less time to kick the winning FG last Saturday.) I don't think players like him. With the transfer portal and NIL money players have to like their coach. Saban is tough, but the good players like him, too.

BOB has a good resume, has experience as a HC and an OC, so it must be about his interviewing, then, I guess?
I don’t think it’s a good idea to predetermine a hire for this job — or any other — without speaking to the candidate and others who have worked with him.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I don’t think it’s a good idea to predetermine a hire for this job — or any other — without speaking to the candidate and others who have worked with him.

Agree 100%. I almost started a thread on this. When hiring people it is very important not to just hire solely off of resume. Sure you use the resume to trim down the applicant pool, but once you have a group that meet your criteria on paper, fit and feel become more important than splitting hairs on paper.

Totally agree… I was referencing the previous poster’s requirements… rather than interviews, I should have said press conferences.

Reactions: HUSKERinLA
BOB is not even doing as good as job at Bama as Sark and Lane. (Run the ball a little bit more at the end of the game may have given the Vols less time to kick the winning FG last Saturday.) I don't think players like him. With the transfer portal and NIL money players have to like their coach. Saban is tough, but the good players like him, too.
The WR talent at Bama isn't the same as it's been the last few years and makes a huge difference. I think he's doing a pretty good job for what he has. Bama's real problem is on defense.

Good heavens. did you see their offense against The Vols. They’re great

BOB would be probably the guy with the best resume we could hire. Up to Trev.
Hopefully he has learned a lot from Saban. Interesting that he took a college job instead of some kind of position coach in the NFL.

Smart move though because succeeding in Alabama does parlay into at least 5 million a year for several years in the college realm, whereas he may never get another NFL head coaching opp unless he crushes it in college

Reactions: headcard
BOB to me seems like a Campbell type hire. He is credited enthusiasticly because he was able to bring a team to 60% wins, like Campbell, due to "conditions" self inflicted in PSUs case rather than inherent in ISUs.

I would be disappointed if hired and II wouldn't expect to win any championships with him. I would fully expect to see Trev and Bill fired after maybe 7 years at most.

If hired I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: leodisflowers
BOB and Campbell were the 2 guys reported last year if frost was gone. Seems logical they would be on the list this year but the pool has improved.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Bruce Feldman wrote he thinks if BOB were successful at the college level again he would use it to get another NFL head coaching job.
That’s the only thing I disagree with. IF he’s successful in college he’ll make enough to make it unattractive for an NFL team to gamble on him coming back to the league. History will tell the story

That’s the only thing I disagree with. If he’s successful in college he’ll make enough to make it unattractive for an NFL team to gamble on him coming back to the league. History will tell the story
The NFL and College football is only similar because they share the word football.

College players need a parental-type coach that prepares them for adulthood. They are turds that need shaping.
NFL players need managers that prepare them for game day. They are turds that need polishing.

This is the biggest reason college coaches rarely transition to the NFL. Some do and make a go of it, but more fail than succeed. If I were an NFL owner, I would steer clear of college coaches.

The NFL and College football is only similar because they share the word football.

College players need a parental-type coach that prepares them for adulthood. They are turds that need shaping.
NFL players need managers that prepare them for game day. They are turds that need polishing.

This is the biggest reason college coaches rarely transition to the NFL. Some do and make a go of it, but more fail than succeed. If I were an NFL owner, I would steer clear of college coaches.
Is shaping a turd really that much different than polishing a turd? 🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Rumor season is in full go! Just heard from a former prominent player that they are looking at Sean Payton and retaining Mickey. Almost gets comical sometimes. Not posting because I think it’s happening, most posting for the comedic value of how these searches go.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Rumor season is in full go! Just heard from a former prominent player that they are looking at Sean Payton and retaining Mickey. Almost gets comical sometimes. Not posting because I think it’s happening, most posting for the comedic value of how these searches go.
I don't think Payton will ever take a college job.

Reactions: WHCSC
I think BOB would be an okay selection. I believe you guys can get someone better. Bama's offense is 90% due to Bryce Young. The fall off when Young was out with injury was alarming.
It was just different. Milroe is more of a dual threat than Young. Milroe had nearly 170 yards rushing in the two games he played significant time in. In the first game, he came in when Alabama was up big and he didn't really throw much. Against Texas A&M he was 12-19 for 111 yards 3TDs and 1 pick and rushed for 83 yards on 17 carries.

Alabama's offense has been pretty good since Saban hired Kiffin and after, and every year, people say wait until they lose the QB and every year they average 40 points per.

I’m no expert but what he did at PSU was impressive losing scholarships, scholarship players and no bowl games.

Two of the best coaches in our generation think enough of him to run their offenses.

i am not going to moan if he is the guy.

Yeah when your defense gives up 52 points, not sure your OC is your biggest shortcoming...
No doubt. I want to see what they're saying about their defensive coordinator. Tennessee ran through them like we were the JV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT