ADVERTISEMENT

Bill O’Brien

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
This is a pretty interesting read on BOB. Honestly, I’ve never been that high on him, seems like kind of a dick and his offense is boring. But this definitely had alot of information I didn’t know and makes me more open to the idea of hiring him.

I think BOB is the kind of guy that we don’t want but maybe need. If he was named the HC I’d be “fine” with it, can see why he would be hired, apparently already had a prior relationship with Trev, came from the Saban rehab school, etc.

The bit about why he left Penn State was interesting and made it seem (especially after his failure as a GM) that he’d stick somewhere for the long haul if he could

We need a major influx of talent. I just don’t think he would do as well as MJ in accomplishing that.
He'd keep MJ. Big raise, wr coach and assistant head coach. I got to say, this article has given me a different perspective. My negative feelings towards BOB we're mostly in how he mismanaged the Texans roster as the GM.

Last edited:
If Mickey doesn’t get the job he is leaving after a year.
Mickey is gonna do what's best for Mickey if he is not retained as HC. He is poised to get a bigger job wherever he goes. Maybe the Cajuns or ULM hires him as head coach or he gets an OC job? But I dont see him being just a wide receiver coach after this year.

We need a major influx of talent. I just don’t think he would do as well as MJ in accomplishing that.
I would argue we need to develop the talent. We have brought in the most talent of any B1G West school for years. Another step above that in recruiting I wouldn’t argue with, but our program has needed to step up development in coaching and S&C for years.

I think BOB is the kind of guy that we don’t want but maybe need. If he was named the HC I’d be “fine” with it, can see why he would be hired, apparently already had a prior relationship with Trev, came from the Saban rehab school, etc.

The bit about why he left Penn State was interesting and made it seem (especially after his failure as a GM) that he’d stick somewhere for the long haul if he could

If BOB is hired, Husker football is dead and I'm out.

Mickey is gonna do what's best for Mickey if he is not retained as HC. He is poised to get a bigger job wherever he goes. Maybe the Cajuns or ULM hires him as head coach or he gets an OC job? But I dont see him being just a wide receiver coach after this year.
Mickey wants to be at NU and we can pay him like smaller programs pay their head coach.

If BOB is hired, Husker football is dead and I'm out.
You didn't read the article.
After reading the article you definitely get a different view on O’Brien and I have changed my mind too a certain point that this might be a great hire..

If you don’t read the article like CDMX your not opening your mind that this could be the hire..

After reading the article you definitely get a different view on O’Brien and I have changed my mind too a certain point that this might be a great hire..

If you don’t read the article like CDMX your not opening your mind that this could be the hire..
Yep, I fall into the trap of 'is this a likable, relatable guy?' That cannot be primary. He kind of comes off like an ass at times, but he is capable and what truly matters is how he jives with his players. Can he build a winning culture and identity?

I don't need to read the article and I have a very open mind. BOB is no the right guy for NU.

This is a pretty interesting read on BOB. Honestly, I’ve never been that high on him, seems like kind of a dick and his offense is boring. But this definitely had alot of information I didn’t know and makes me more open to the idea of hiring him.

We need a boring offense.

I'll take anyone who has a good resume, says the right things in the interviews, and has experience as an HC, DC, or OC in the Big Ten.

I'll take anyone who has a good resume, says the right things in the interviews, and has experience as an HC, DC, or OC in the Big Ten.
BOB has a good resume, has experience as a HC and an OC, so it must be about his interviewing, then, I guess?

Reactions: dand84
He'd keep MJ. Big raise, wr coach and assistant head coach. I got to say, this article has given me a different perspective. My negative feelings towards BOB we're mostly in how he mismanaged the Texans roster as the GM.
He never should have been GM.

Idk... Texan fans seem to really drill how their downfall was largely all BOB. The question is: is BOB a true control freak? Or is he just a guy who's willing to pull double duty as GM for an inept organization?

If he is a control freak, that just doesn't seem to work in the NFL. Does it work in college though?

Not excited about BOB, even though his resume does speak to some volumes. I wanna be open minded on him, but damn, hard to get past all of this...

My concern is that the small sample size at PSU doesn’t translate to 2022. A lot of changes in college football in the last 10 years. Also, the B1G was pretty weak when he was at PSU. I used to be on board with him but I think we should aim higher, I like his floor, I don’t like his ceiling. That said, I’m preparing myself because I think he’s the odds on favorite for the job.

Reactions: headcard
Not running the ball twice when they had the ball at the thirty in the fourth quarter against Tennessee with two timeouts...should be a disqualifier.

If he runs it twice, he probably gets closer and can strategically take the timeouts so the kick is as time expires instead of giving Tennessee time to do what they did.

Reactions: thall_
My concerns with BOB, and why he wasn’t top of my list were really 2 things
- He wasn’t a good GM. Guess what, the college HC is also the GM. So has he learned anything?
- He is a good coach. The best pro coach and best college coach of this generation think so. They keep hiring him. So how long does he realistically stay? Not a great reason but if he is successful, does he stay more than a year or two?

i am fine with him as the head guy just based on what he did at PSU. I would like to see him keep MJ in some capacity.

He isn’t my first choice but he is growing on me…Lane Kiffin was better offensive coordinator than O’Brien now at Bama..

Give me Lane Kiffin and I would be going through the roof..
would love to have Lane as well .. but he makes 7.25 mil per year
I don't see us prying someone making that kind of money away

I suspect the expectations would be higher at NU as well -- at Miss they just want to play well enough so as to not dampen the festivities planned around the game

Reactions: leodisflowers
would love to have Lane as well .. but he makes 7.25 mil per year

giphy.gif

WHO GIVES AF ABOUT THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT