ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Connelly rates Nebraska as best 3-9 team of all time (will likely finish top 25 in S&P+)

I guess to millennials and Gen Z this is their participation trophies. They are either too young or too stupid to know what great or even good football looks like. Nebraska football is a joke. But carry on. We're the best of the worst!! Pathetic.
No, most gen z and millenials do not care about Nebraska. Nebraska has been irrelevant for most, if not all of their lives. Stop with the culture war BS.

I guess to millennials and Gen Z this is their participation trophies. They are either too young or too stupid to know what great or even good football looks like. Nebraska football is a joke. But carry on. We're the best of the worst!! Pathetic.

no, it means the algorithms perceived Nebraska to be a top 25 team this year. It’s something to be proud of. Wins and losses don’t mean what they used to. There are better ways to rank teams. In fact I’d reckon Nebraska’s S&P+ ranking will INCREASE after yesterday. That means yesterday can be viewed as a win.

If you go back through every game this season, this should have been a 10-2, at worst 9-3 season.

Hopefully Frost will be smart and hire a special teams coordinator and make a smart OC hire and let that person run the offense.

northwesternguy.....go bother someone else
why-you-here.gif

Now we are talking! I would like to see the re ranking of my team over the last 50 years. I always thought we were outstanding. Now I see the genius in retaining Frost. The problem was one of using the wrong metric in evaluating teams. I now predict only teams such as Nebraska will be ranked higher than my team after the 2022 season. Maybe we could fire our special teams coach have a chance to edge out Nebraska.

Let's all head down to the Pizza Hut and present this tweet to the manager. Free personal pan pizzas and signed 3×5s of Larry Coker photos.

Reactions: drubendall
Bill Conelley’s ratings are easily the worst out there & he gets very butthurt when people call him out on them.
A couple years ago he had teams ranked higher in final rankings over undefeated teams that just beat said teams.

It’s his baby so no matter what he defends it. But if you pay attention to them he claims they are to “predict” what will happen. But there are so many examples of undefeated teams destroying a team, then the next day his rankings will predict the other team to be better.

no, it means the algorithms perceived Nebraska to be a top 25 team this year. It’s something to be proud of. Wins and losses don’t mean what they used to. There are better ways to rank teams. In fact I’d reckon Nebraska’s S&P+ ranking will INCREASE after yesterday. That means yesterday can be viewed as a win.

That would also mean this is one of the most underachieving teams of all-time then right? Not exactly something to hang your hat on.

That would also mean this is one of the most underachieving teams of all-time then right? Not exactly something to hang your hat on.
Not at all. It means this was a top 25 team by the numbers. Get this through your head-wins and losses don’t matter.

Not at all. It means this was a top 25 team by the numbers. Get this through your head-wins and losses don’t matter.
They matter, but you make a valid point. An argument can be made that out of 60-70 plays per game, Nebraska lost because of 3 or 4 of them. That is something that is fixable.

As one Northwestern guy to another, your shtick can only last so long

They matter, but you make a valid point. An argument can be made that out of 60-70 plays per game, Nebraska lost because of 3 or 4 of them. That is something that is fixable.
Well since you put it that way it does seem fixable . So is that is all that it takes why wasn’t it fixed early in the season? I have heard that any lost is due to 4 or 5 plays per game for any losing team. Why do teams lose if fixing 4 or 5 plays is all it takes?

Nebraska is not a great team.....heck not a good team.

But damn are they a statistical anomaly

Reactions: EVERED
Well since you put it that way it does seem fixable . So is that is all that it takes why wasn’t it fixed early in the season? I have heard that any lost is due to 4 or 5 plays per game for any losing team. Why do teams lose if fixing 4 or 5 plays is all it takes?
I'd say 99% of losses are not because of 4 or 5 plays. This team was a historic outlier this year. Like, never happened level of historic.

Dude, the oldest Millenials are 40 years old. Which generation’s idea was it to hand out all those participation trophies anyway?

Reactions: pharvey0829
Meh. So S&P looks at metrics that Nebraska happens to be decent in. Composite computer ranking are not so generous. I do think with significant changes this roster as a base could win more games. This roster won't be back next year though and doubt Frost is the guy to make all the changes needed.

we
Who cares! Sounds like a participation trophy to me.

Just like anywhere else, only Wins matter. There haven’t been enough W’s around here
Wins and losses in college football are no different than wins and losses for a pitcher in baseball. Completely meaningless. Frost deserves an A for the improvement this season and probably an extension.

If you go back through every game this season, this should have been a 10-2, at worst 9-3 season.

Hopefully Frost will be smart and hire a special teams coordinator and make a smart OC hire and let that person run the offense.
No worries. He’s already hired two - he knows what he’s doing 😂.

Wins and losses are the only things that matter at the end of the season. All of our fancy standings or stats don't award the football program any trophies.

This is nothing more than offering a frozen steak to slap on to our black eye.

I don’t think it’s something to proud of nor snub your nose at. It’s great that analysts can see that we are close, but we all know close isn’t what this program cares about. I guarantee you being close doesn’t allow frost to sleep easier at night nor should it. All we can hope for is this is just one frustrating chapter to a story where close turns into “damn we’re dominating teams all of a sudden.”

Reactions: pharvey0829
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT