ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 preseason media poll

Oh now you are off the Brohm train? You sucked him off a touted his recruits on this board for like 6 years and now it is his fault? Walters may be a good coach, but he probably won't ever be good at Purdue. Recruits out there aren't looking to come to Purdue. You may get a few every now and then, but far from a place big times kids want to come. Just not a football power. Basketball yes, football no.

Also, your turf sucks because every school complains about it and it gets people hurt. I know a ton of former players and they all said Purdue is the worst place to play turf wise. Holes, bumps, etc. Terrible..
I am not off the Brohm train. He was great for Purdue. But, he quit recruiting the last couple of years because he knew he was leaving and left a roster with a cultural issue (holding NIL over players heads) and a talent issue (the best players his last year graduated or went pro) and there wasn’t much behind them. Some studs like theineman and Jenkins and Scourton, but not a rosters worth. And Walter’s didn’t get a full portal period his first winter to fill those holes.

Walter’s seems to be recruiting way better than Brohm. We will see if he can develop them. Multiple 4 stars and a 5 star, which is really good for Purdue. Loading up the defense.

I agree the grass used to be terrible. But they changed the grass for last season. Haven’t seen any major injuries on the field for a few years now. Would love for you to show me where there have been a multitude of major injuries since Brohm got there. Purdue’s 1 ACL tear last year came on the artificial crap. Once Brohm was hired and the athletic department didn’t have the university taking money from them, asking athletics to run on a bare bones budget, it improved, like a lot of things.

Last edited:
He didn’t say teams with a pulse. He said “offenses” with a pulse in reference to Iowa’s defense being overrated. When the offense throws multiple pick sixes, and literally gives the ball to the opposing offense inside the defenses 5 yard line numerous times; that’s not on the defense.

Now, go look at those numbers compared to those teams season averages. Include every other team on Iowa’s schedule last year. I’ll give you the answer….every single team Iowa played last year was held under their scoring and yard per game average…..by a lot.
I’ll leave this here …

Penn St:
Rutgers held them to 27
Indiana held them to 33
Illinois held them to 30
Iowa held them to 31

Michigan:
Rutgers held them to 31
BOWLING GREEN held them to 31
UNLV held them to 35
EAST CAROLINA held them to 30
Maryland held them to 31
Iowa held them to 26

Tennessee:
AUSTIN PEAY held them to 30
Florida held them to 16
A&M held them to 20
KENT ST held them to 33
Missouri held them to 7
Iowa held them 35

It doesn’t surprise me that you think is “elite” as I go into restaurants and still see 12-0 posters from 2015 when you finished 12-2 and christian made your defense look like a junior high squad.

Last edited:
So on PU boards is it just like 5 posters bashing on their best coach ever and pretending like their new coach is going to lead them to those magical 6 win seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
If Nebraska plays to that seed in conference they should win at least 7 games. I hope they surpass Wisconsin, Iowa, and can beat Colorado which would get them to 10 wins. Either scenario or any combination in between would be a marked improvement over the last few years. I have no issue with where that preseason poll puts them.

I’ll leave this here …

Penn St:
Rutgers held them to 27
Indiana held them to 33
Illinois held them to 30
Iowa held them to 31

Michigan:
Rutgers held them to 31
BOWLING GREEN held them to 31
UNLV held them to 35
EAST CAROLINA held them to 30
Maryland held them to 31
Iowa held them to 26

Tennessee:
AUSTIN PEAY held them to 30
Florida held them to 16
A&M held them to 20
KENT ST held them to 33
Missouri held them to 7
Iowa held them 35

It doesn’t surprise me that you think is “elite” as I go into restaurants and still see 12-0 posters from 2015 when you finished 12-2 and christian made your defense look like a junior high squad.
Now we are talking. Thanks for at least putting some effort into the conversation. The problem is, when you say “held”, you’re implying the defense “held” them. I’m simply saying that’s not the case.

Basically, those blow outs have waaaaaaayyyy more to do with the offense being all-time atrocious than the defense not being elite. They won 10 stinking games averaging 14 PPG. That’s insane.

This season should prove us wrong or right. The offense won’t be nearly as bad as last season. Hopefull, get back to the norm of pushing 30 PPG in year one and Iowa probably goes 11-1 in the regular season.

• Haha
Reactions: buckknowsall
So on PU boards is it just like 5 posters bashing on their best coach ever and pretending like their new coach is going to lead them to those magical 6 win seasons.
Because most have said what Brohm left behind. To act like he left behind a program in a great spot is turning a blind eye. That’s like me saying Frost didn’t have non football related issues that hurt him. Not sure why you can’t understand this.

What I can say is Walter’s won 4 last year with roster full of holes and injuries. He was closer to 6 wins than 2. He was a net positive in the portal this year. Smacked a couple big ten teams last year towards the end of the year. Finished one spot behind Nebraska in big ten standings. Admitted he made mistakes and learned a lot. And somehow became a terrible team. The math doesn’t add up.

Now we are talking. Thanks for at least putting some effort into the conversation. The problem is, when you say “held”, you’re implying the defense “held” them. I’m simply saying that’s not the case.

Basically, those blow outs have waaaaaaayyyy more to do with the offense being all-time atrocious than the defense not being elite. They won 10 stinking games averaging 14 PPG. That’s insane.

This season should prove us wrong or right. The offense won’t be nearly as bad as last season. Hopefull, get back to the norm of pushing 30 PPG in year one and Iowa probably goes 11-1 in the regular season.
How many qualifiers do you need to justify your elite defense?

Reactions: buckknowsall
Because most have said what Brohm left behind. To act like he left behind a program in a great spot is turning a blind eye. That’s like me saying Frost didn’t have non football related issues that hurt him. Not sure why you can’t understand this.

What I can say is Walter’s won 4 last year with roster full of holes and injuries. He was closer to 6 wins than 2. He was a net positive in the portal this year. Smacked a couple big ten teams last year towards the end of the year. Finished one spot behind Nebraska in big ten standings. Admitted he made mistakes and learned a lot. And somehow became a terrible team. The math doesn’t add up.
The math is we actually fess up that we were a terrible team last year (we've been this way for awhile) and you finished behind us. Maybe Kong can look it up, but I'd love to see what you said at the beginning of last year. Did you say there were holes or did you come here telling us about Purdue's load of 4 stars and the awesome recruiting, how you are a team to not sleep on, etc. Maybe I'm wrong, but you are constantly here feeding us that Purdue should be some sort of budding powerhouse. Your best season ever under any coach is 9 wins... You aren't relevant in football and never will be. Come be a pest on our basketball board where you actually have a something to talk about.

The math is we actually fess up that we were a terrible team last year (we've been this way for awhile) and you finished behind us. Maybe Kong can look it up, but I'd love to see what you said at the beginning of last year. Did you say there were holes or did you come here telling us about Purdue's load of 4 stars and the awesome recruiting, how you are a team to not sleep on, etc. Maybe I'm wrong, but you are constantly here feeding us that Purdue should be some sort of budding powerhouse. Your best season ever under any coach is 9 wins... You aren't relevant in football and never will be. Come be a pest on our basketball board where you actually have a something to talk about.
from Aug 1, 2023:

I think Rhule is a good hire. Probably 5-7 wins this year for Nebraska and Purdue imo. GBI is the former rivals Purdue site, now on3 and connected to boiler alliance (NIL collective)

Hahahahahaha Kong looked it up and I missed the range for Nebraska and Purdue by a combined 1 game. Dang I’m good. Had either team not blown a couple games, I think I’d have been spot on.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Both are seemingly true and backing me up.
I wouldn't know

I assume your team will stink again this year and literally nobody will notice what they do during the season, just like the off-season

purdue is one of 12 reasons the B1G is such a boring and lame place to be forced to call home

Reactions: RBigredMax
I wouldn't know

I assume your team will stink again this year and literally nobody will notice what they do during the season, just like the off-season

purdue is one of 12 reasons the B1G is such a boring and lame place to be forced to call home
Feel free to assume they will stink, but I think they will be between 4 and 6. Schedule probably doesn’t allow for more this year. Landed a 5 star CB this off season over Tennessee. Tennessee continues to lose to Purdue. It’s great. But ya, Purdue is boring. I agree. I did enjoy the run to the natty in basketball though. Where they play in a top 5 environment in basketball. Pretty boring stuff.

Feel free to assume they will stink, but I think they will be between 4 and 6. Schedule probably doesn’t allow for more this year. Landed a 5 star CB this off season over Tennessee. Tennessee continues to lose to Purdue. It’s great. But ya, Purdue is boring. I agree. I did enjoy the run to the natty in basketball though. Where they play in a top 5 environment in basketball. Pretty boring stuff.
between 4 and 6 wins sucks, guy.

top 5 environment? maybe in the B1G where everyone else is just as lame and boring.

between 4 and 6 wins sucks, guy.

top 5 environment? maybe in the B1G where everyone else is just as lame and boring.
Ya. I know it sucks. I haven’t predicted anything grand from Purdue. Schedule will limit their wins.

You can say maybe top 5 in the big ten, I’ll listen to everyone else say it’s top 5 in the country. As has been said by a former opposing player, it’s the only place where they had to have signals because you couldn’t hear the coach call plays. Try a game in Mackey.

I'll preface this with: I get it you are a fan and you ride the waves of how your team is doing. I'm wrong as well on my points, but I think the problem is most NU fans on here don't give two shits about Purdue. We'd rather discuss our team and hopefully the growth, not have to get into anything Purdue. Yes, we are no where close to the same NU team, but never will you hear anyone make a comparison to Purdue. We are chasing getting back to being at the top end of the conference. Right or wrong, even with us being bad, our name still carries weight. Purdue football doesn't.

"8 wins should be the minimum expectation at Purdue. They should make a bowl every year. No reason not to. 8 and 9 wins was fun because it indicated the crap they dug out of over the past 5 years. Walters is seemingly building on that."

4-8 & this year is not a good start. Brohm went from 3-9 to 7-6. Even at your metric, wouldn't another 4-8 season be serious cause for concern?

"I was wrong about the talent left behind. The WR's are a bit of a let down. Oline has yet to be fully healthy. The outside DT's are placeholders at best. And LB play hasn't been good. Thought OC was better. Bought into the excitement of walters a bit to much. My bad. If I recall, I said 3rd or..."

Which is it? Seem to be all over the place. Brohm left a bunch of talent, but then didn't because Walters is losing???

"I read all the time. Comes from living in Nebraska. Brohm is the only coach to leave willingly in a long long time and it had nothing to do with Purdue. He would have left anywhere for Purdue. He got Purdue back to where they should be though."

Got Purdue back to where they should be, but yet sucked and Walters is better? Brohm got them to the title game. 8-5 should never go, but still got them there.

"The team sucked because Brohm sucked at recruiting and got lucky with a walk-on QB and Charlie Jones (who AOC told him to recruit). Brohm is a great OC, average HC. Why does it show zero hope? That’s an interesting take for sure."

So which is it?

Reactions: RBigredMax
Ya. I know it sucks. I haven’t predicted anything grand from Purdue. Schedule will limit their wins.

You can say maybe top 5 in the big ten, I’ll listen to everyone else say it’s top 5 in the country. As has been said by a former opposing player, it’s the only place where they had to have signals because you couldn’t hear the coach call plays. Try a game in Mackey.
I've been to west lafayette once for a football game

that was enough

what a shithole. we won by a hundred

I've been to west lafayette once for a football game

that was enough

what a shithole. we won by a hundred
Congrats. Has nothing to do with Mackey. You should go sometime. The state of Indiana is known for basketball.

Also, depending on when you went to Lafayette, might look a lot different now.

Congrats. Has nothing to do with Mackey. You should go sometime. The state of Indiana is known for basketball.

Also, depending on when you went to Lafayette, might look a lot different now.
I will never, ever go.

there is quite literally zero reason to do so.

that place is a dump, purdue fans are dorks, nobody cares but you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT