ADVERTISEMENT

Betts coming back?

I don’t even care about the off field stuff, and I’m ok with some 2nd chances, but I’m looking at grit and passion for the game.

This is not meant as a direct insult to the kid, but he reflects the Frost regime too much: lackadaisical, all flash, no substance. I don’t see him as the type to fight for the 50/50 balls the way you want, block when games are out of reach like it’s a championship, and work his tail in the off-season like his life depends on it.

Gimme a K-State WR over a Frost WR, cus that culture wins games.
If this staff is worth a damn, including our barely legal WR coach, they should be able to do better. Period.

Now, if Zavier came with evidence of how hard he’s worked to make a comeback, and blows me away,,, then that’s different. But the casual “hey coach I’m thinking of trying football again” ain’t gonna work with nothing to back it up.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Does anyone know if the Nebraska coaches are even interested in him? The OWH reported a couple of days ago that they were not pursuing him.
It was probably educated guess work and/or speculations. My guess, there’s probably not many, if any, Power 5 teams out there that will give him a scholarship after the issues he’s had. It would likely have to be a walk-on to start with and then there’s the likely hood he’d have trouble meeting academic requirements for most schools out there.

He’d probably be looking at a JUCO or D2 school or someone like that…something similar to Maurice Washington’s situation. With that said, if the coaches felt good about giving him a 2nd chance? Then I’m fine with it. He’s a very talented WR and he can be a good one if he’s got his he’s on straight.

Half this board just shit on him last week. Can’t wait until they flip their narrative.

Could we see something really interesting in 2024? Imagine a 3 WR and 1 TE set with Coleman, Betts, Hall, and Fidone. All highly recruited and all local kids.

I didn't. So I'll take him back.

My guess, there’s probably not many, if any, Power 5 teams out there that will give him a scholarship after the issues he’s had. It would likely have to be a walk-on to start with

He’d probably be looking at a JUCO or D2 school or someone like that…
I totally agree. I don't know about his grades situation or his eligibility. But it seems to me that as a qualifier, he should go to an Iowa Central or another decently respected juco. Play a season and prove that you can make it an entire season without a problem. Show some growth and maturity. Prove that you want it bad enough to go the juco route.

If that happens, he would get offers to play in any conference in the country.

Reactions: saltsdogg
I guarantee you won't find one player in the NFL that said this formula works to get into the league. As for American workforce you dont even have to show up to do well. Laziest workers in the world. You will do better by being lazy than the people that do bust their ass
Yep. My point being that consistency and reliability make for a good jumping off point. Some pro athletes form insane work habits early on which take them a long way. Talent alone let's you shine in hs only.

First time I saw "the other side" of Matt Rhule was when he was asked about taking back portal guys and said you don't want to take some back. I know Butler was taken back after a brief portal stint, but I think Decoldest won't be welcome back even if he wants back. Rhule doesn't seem to have a lot of patience for players not sure they want to be here.

First time I saw "the other side" of Matt Rhule was when he was asked about taking back portal guys and said you don't want to take some back. I know Butler was taken back after a brief portal stint, but I think Decoldest won't be welcome back even if he wants back. Rhule doesn't seem to have a lot of patience for players not sure they want to be here.
Jimari has film for the coaches to view. He played in conference games. So he could have a conversation about coming back. Crawford didn’t play a down and was injured. Then hit the portal. If that doesn’t say adios Lincoln, I don’t know what does.

Member when the Frosturbators all drooled over each others knobs when he came in and arrogantly ran out a bunch of players, then proceeded to fall on his face for 5 years (the only ones that saved him were the defensive guys he didn’t recruit that stuck around)???

Maybe this kid should be afforded a little benefit of the doubt.

I remember most here trashing the players that he ran off. Did most of them do anything? Maybe not, but neither did ones he brougn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimari has film for the coaches to view. He played in conference games. So he could have a conversation about coming back. Crawford didn’t play a down and was injured. Then hit the portal. If that doesn’t say adios Lincoln, I don’t know what does.
Butler is also at a position of need. Athletic guy for his size.

Reactions: headcard
Betts escaped the Frostzi regime … which makes him infinitely more intelligent than the 85k+ Frostzis who packed the stadium the last few years as well as the Frostzi propagandists on this site

Reactions: BleedRed78
Member when the Frosturbators all drooled over each others knobs when he came in and arrogantly ran out a bunch of players, then proceeded to fall on his face for 5 years (the only ones that saved him were the defensive guys he didn’t recruit that stuck around)???

Maybe this kid should be afforded a little benefit of the doubt.

I remember most here trashing the players that he ran off. Did most of them do anything? Maybe not, but neither did ones he brougn.
We get it. You don’t like Frost.

In addition, Betts is a turd.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Its hyperbole to call him an 'elite' athlete and was a pretty average player. He was ok. Easily replaceable possession type reciever. Of course I shouldn't fully judge based on his time here with a qb that had zero field vision. Guess he didn't get open by 20 yards enough to be thrown the ball.
Had that one highlight, a long run against a puzzling disinterested Northwestern team in the second half already down 35-7. Just don't recall much in the way of crunch time heroics.

I very much doubt Betts will get scholarship dough from NU. I suppose if he really wants to play at NU, he’d be awfully hard to turn away as a walk-on.
Yah, can’t imagine blowing a scholarship on him until he proves himself.

I would assume that the new staff has made it clear that he is in a 6-8 month tryout period. He will have certain obligations to meet in the classroom, film room, weight room and on the practice field. Not going to ‘ease’ him into the routine and other than being a local product he has no carry over cred that places him atop the depth chart.
If he becomes a distraction, cya!

Reactions: huskerfan66
I worked and lived in DC from 2015-21 and I had an apartment in a millenial building - mostly professional types - government, non-profits, etc. The whole building wreaked of weed from Friday at five until Monday morning and often during the week. People underestimate how much weed smoking is going on in that age group. I don't want to discuss legality - I am just pointing out that it likely affects productivity IMO.
If I was just coming out of school right now, I would not be scared of my competition. Just a routine normal work week for me was about 50 hours plus I had people working around the clock, so I had a pager then phone on me the rest of the time so I could put out fires. I have a hard working 30 something new neighbor who lives next door who impresses me. He is working remotely for a start-up and he really works. He's busy. He wants it to succeed so he gets a large payout. This may not be the case for everyone from what I read. Companies want their workers back in the building and the workers are reluctant to go back. In my day it would not be a choice. Last year I was riding a chairlift in Sun Valley with a 30 something woman from Seattle. She was telling her friend that as soon as Covid hit she moved to Sun Valley because her employer was allowing her to work from remote. I assume she had a pretty good job if she could move to Sun Valley. It is expensive. Her friend asked her if the company she worked for was wanting employees to resume working back in Seattle. The young woman stated that she was fearing this as all new employees who were hired for her position were required to work back at the office. She also went on to say her boss kept telling her that they needed to talk. My guess is if this woman on the chairlift would have been at home working at around 10:30 am on a Tuesday like my next- door- neighbor her boss would not be needing to have a talk with her.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
Betts has had time to think and he knows the window is closing. No doubt he's desperate to be on a roster considering it is true he has great talent worth millions slipping away. I might let him back with some clear guidelines. Just don't waste our time. Frosty-f*** around era is gone for good. The adults have entered the building
I say give him a chance to prove himself and show he belongs. Think about how Osborne did that for more than 1 troubled kid.

Remind us WHO quit on Osborne again?

Your troll is weak on this one..
That’s funny, you call it a troll. Not about the quitting, rather a kid with problems and made bad off field decisions. The culture was to keep them around and support them and give opportunity to redeem themselves. Guess you rather throw kids in the trash today? If Betts wants to be here, why not give him the chance?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT