ADVERTISEMENT

"Best fans in college football"

calhusker89

Junior
Jan 4, 2005
My A$$! I've been a fan of Nebraska since I was old enough to know and understand how special Nebraska football WAS and that was 50 years ago. With that being said, the so-called fan base reminds me of an ant hill that has just been stepped on. Everything was nice and orderly almost machine-like as it was during the glory years under TO. Hell, I remember opening the paper and being disappointed that Nebraska was ranked 4th in the Nation in the pre-season polls. That was obviously a LONG time ago. Then the ant hill gets stepped on and it's complete chaos... Under TO, it wasn't always perfect, but it was built the "right way", over time. Nebraska wasn't respected just for winning games but for how the program was run and the culture/style. I always felt that if Nebraska could just keep their run option and power run game and have a little more of a passing game (more multiple) they would be unstoppable for years to come. Our defense under Charlie was fierce and a staple of our program. When Bill Callahan was hired, everyone bitched and moaned about the West Coast offense and how Nebraska needs to run the ball! Okay, I get that, was a good coach but not a good coach for Nebraska and too loyal to his friend Cosgrove... Since then we have had a lot of bad coaching hires (for Nebraska) in my opinion, including and especially Bo Pelini. Many of you loved the consistent 9 wins and that was good enough for you even though the guy was a complete asshat and didn't give 2 spits about Nebraska. Fast forward to HCSF and we all felt he was the next best thing to Tom. Do you really think you'll get someone else that not only knows what "Nebraska football" is and will have as much invested? He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part. He knows the elements of Nebraska football and has worked tirelessly to try to bring it back to where it once was. Not to mention he's put up with the so-called "fans" that want to burn him at the stake now. He is the best man for the job although he hasn't had success in the win column YET. Nobody and I mean NOBODY is a better all-around fit than Frost! You get someone else and we start over from square one and I guarantee they won't have the same heartfelt investment in the program, the University, or the State that Frost has. The onside was clearly a poor decision but if it worked it would have been genius, but yes, I agree it was too much of a risk. I scratched my head many times with calls by TO, and listened to people that wanted him gone at one point too. Right now, I fear you will get your wish because the new coaches, especially Whipple will need time to mesh. I get a sense that Whipple is very much like BC and wants to pass the ball 90% of the time. If Frost is handcuffed as much as I think he is right now, it will lead to him getting fired and for me that would be a shame! As a football coach myself, I understand the frustration of having one or two missing pieces along with the pressure of wanting to win. I fear the offensive philosophies and personalities of HCSF and Whipple won't mesh and you will all get your wish. But please stop wearing "best fans in college football" like a badge of honor because you aren't. I want to win and be proud of the program just like everyone else, but I want it done the right way, the Nebraska way, at least as I understand it. GBR!!!

My A$$! I've been a fan of Nebraska since I was old enough to know and understand how special Nebraska football WAS and that was 50 years ago. With that being said, the so-called fan base reminds me of an ant hill that has just been stepped on. Everything was nice and orderly almost machine-like as it was during the glory years under TO. Hell, I remember opening the paper and being disappointed that Nebraska was ranked 4th in the Nation in the pre-season polls. That was obviously a LONG time ago. Then the ant hill gets stepped on and it's complete chaos... Under TO, it wasn't always perfect, but it was built the "right way", over time. Nebraska wasn't respected just for winning games but for how the program was run and the culture/style. I always felt that if Nebraska could just keep their run option and power run game and have a little more of a passing game (more multiple) they would be unstoppable for years to come. Our defense under Charlie was fierce and a staple of our program. When Bill Callahan was hired, everyone bitched and moaned about the West Coast offense and how Nebraska needs to run the ball! Okay, I get that, was a good coach but not a good coach for Nebraska and too loyal to his friend Cosgrove... Since then we have had a lot of bad coaching hires (for Nebraska) in my opinion, including and especially Bo Pelini. Many of you loved the consistent 9 wins and that was good enough for you even though the guy was a complete asshat and didn't give 2 spits about Nebraska. Fast forward to HCSF and we all felt he was the next best thing to Tom. Do you really think you'll get someone else that not only knows what "Nebraska football" is and will have as much invested? He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part. He knows the elements of Nebraska football and has worked tirelessly to try to bring it back to where it once was. Not to mention he's put up with the so-called "fans" that want to burn him at the stake now. He is the best man for the job although he hasn't had success in the win column YET. Nobody and I mean NOBODY is a better all-around fit than Frost! You get someone else and we start over from square one and I guarantee they won't have the same heartfelt investment in the program, the University, or the State that Frost has. The onside was clearly a poor decision but if it worked it would have been genius, but yes, I agree it was too much of a risk. I scratched my head many times with calls by TO, and listened to people that wanted him gone at one point too. Right now, I fear you will get your wish because the new coaches, especially Whipple will need time to mesh. I get a sense that Whipple is very much like BC and wants to pass the ball 90% of the time. If Frost is handcuffed as much as I think he is right now, it will lead to him getting fired and for me that would be a shame! As a football coach myself, I understand the frustration of having one or two missing pieces along with the pressure of wanting to win. I fear the offensive philosophies and personalities of HCSF and Whipple won't mesh and you will all get your wish. But please stop wearing "best fans in college football" like a badge of honor because you aren't. I want to win and be proud of the program just like everyone else, but I want it done the right way, the Nebraska way, at least as I understand it. GBR!!!
It started out as a good read and went straight South with this comment, “He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part.

I will say this about our fan base, we’re still showing up. I got stationed at Tinker AFB in OK City in 98. I did not see any OU T-Shirts and Flags. If there were any, sure weren’t many. Military got tickets for, like, $9.00/ticket. Not because OU was Patriotic. No one was going to their games. So, while every fan base has its share of turds, I would put our fan base up against any other and think we still come out on top.

Last edited:
Only read the title but I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought out that "old chestnut". Ha, ha.

TLDR.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
"best fans" isn't quantifiable so I don't give a fvck if I fit into that subjective box.
Also, it doesn't win any prizes or anything, so why care about it?
The only place I hear Nebraska fans getting any “best fans” publicity is by unbiased national broadcasters. It’s dumb, but it sure triggers other fan bases (and evidently some of our own) so I hope it continues…

A coach that is 15-30 with zero bowl appearances is the best fit for Nebraska? Are you suggesting Nebraska fans don’t deserve a winning football program? Cause if he is the best fit, that’s what you are suggesting. And to state “YET” assumes it will eventually happen under frost. You can’t guarantee it will

And to say he’s the only dude that can do it is ridiculous. Mickey has just as much Husker history, if not more, than frost

also Mickey can relate to kids who aren’t from the state and what it’s like to come from a bigger area and live in Lincoln. Something much more difficult to sell than a kid who grew up in small town Nebraska

you sound like a sadomasochistic. Does your wife obey your safe word?

Scott Frost can only be failed.

Last edited:
A coach that is 15-30 with zero bowl appearances is the best fit for Nebraska? Are you suggesting Nebraska fans don’t deserve a winning football program? Cause if he is the best fit, that’s what you are suggesting. And to state “YET” assumes it will eventually happen under frost. You can’t guarantee it will

And to say he’s the only dude that can do it is ridiculous. Mickey has just as much Husker history, if not more, than frost

also Mickey can relate to kids who aren’t from the state and what it’s like to come from a bigger area and live in Lincoln. Something much more difficult to sell than a kid who grew up in small town Nebraska

you sound like a sadomasochistic. Does your wife obey your safe word?
There are posters on this board who have stated Mickey should be fired after Saturday.

Reactions: rucker4
Read it all, and it boils down to if you want Frost fired you can’t call yourselves the best fans in college football.

Sound correct, OP? If not, a shorter read explaining yourself would be appreciated.

Read it all, and it boils down to if you want Frost fired you can’t call yourselves the best fans in college football.

Sound correct, OP? If not, a shorter read explaining yourself would be appreciated.
what if we want him put into stocks next to the statue of TO and pelted with rotten fruit?

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
TFL DR. There are these things called paragraphs.

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Scott needs a win. Then he needs one more. Then one more. And one more vs Indiana. And one more vs Rutgers. Any loses and he goes, because the rest of the schedule is a meat grinder.

I dont believe you

“The Nebraska Way” is the kind of crutch that’s held Nebraska back. The Nebraska way most truly meant was a winner.

Nobody I've seen in here claims to be one of the best fans of college football. It's a tired old myth and all fans gripe.

You must not remember the KFAB call-in shows or the old OWH "Voice from the Grandstand", that continually skewered TO and Mc Bride. I'm also sure those were the mildest examples to be shared publicly.

All fans bitch, some louder and more graphic than others.

5 years in and a winning 33 pct of your games in a shitty division is proof that crotch rot does not understand what it takes to win here. Numbers don't lie. He's vested because he has lots of free money given to him by Moose and Ronnie Green.

It's ok. Put your jorts back on, grow your goatee out, drink some zimas and old mud and rub a few out to some 1993-1997 glory days videos. I bet if you have a couple cans of skoal and Florida Georgia Line playing in the background and you hit pause while the camera zooms in on the Center's backside, it will be up your wheelhouse and crotch rot may even give you a wink.

Stay off your own lawn.

I wish I could like this twice. Or even three or four times. My thoughts exactly how can you hire frost preaching patience and trust and then after 4 years one of which was a covid year now your calling for his head after one game? Is he winning as many games as I thought he would? Granted hes not. Will he eventually turn this thing around? I say, yes. No matter what names people throw around several facts remain. VERY FEW of them played at Nebraska and know what the program means to this state. NONE of them won a championship here. NONE of them played and coached alongside legendary coaches like frost. VERY FEW of them have ever had an undefeated season or won national coach of the year. and MOST of them would NOT be interested even if we offered then the job. with frost we have a young coach who is willing to learn on the job, who has shown he can do it before, who loves our state, understands our people, and will GROW as a coach. Yes it has been slow but what is another 2 or 3 years for 25 years of winning? Nobody I've talked to thinks frost wont get it turned around if we give him enough time. The problem is most people aren't willing to invest as much in him as he is willing to invest in the program. this fan base will get what they (we) deserve unfortunately. go big red

Nebraska fans “used” to be considered some of the most knowledgeable fans. Perfect example of this demonstrated by the OP.

Last edited:

I wonder if recruits watch the games and the coaching? I’m not sure in good conscious I could encourage a recruit to commit to NU with Scott Frost as coach

of course it is a lot easier to ignore the callus words if the school is offering $750k

Last edited:
The only place I hear Nebraska fans getting any “best fans” publicity is by unbiased national broadcasters. It’s dumb, but it sure triggers other fan bases (and evidently some of our own) so I hope it continues…
I listened to local radio yesterday ( either 1620 or 590 ). They did a segment about how Neb fans are still the best fans in CFB.
Basically because we clap for other teams.
Give me a break.

Reactions: calhusker89
I wish I could like this twice. Or even three or four times. My thoughts exactly how can you hire frost preaching patience and trust and then after 4 years one of which was a covid year now your calling for his head after one game? Is he winning as many games as I thought he would? Granted hes not. Will he eventually turn this thing around? I say, yes. No matter what names people throw around several facts remain. VERY FEW of them played at Nebraska and know what the program means to this state. NONE of them won a championship here. NONE of them played and coached alongside legendary coaches like frost. VERY FEW of them have ever had an undefeated season or won national coach of the year. and MOST of them would NOT be interested even if we offered then the job. with frost we have a young coach who is willing to learn on the job, who has shown he can do it before, who loves our state, understands our people, and will GROW as a coach. Yes it has been slow but what is another 2 or 3 years for 25 years of winning? Nobody I've talked to thinks frost wont get it turned around if we give him enough time. The problem is most people aren't willing to invest as much in him as he is willing to invest in the program. this fan base will get what they (we) deserve unfortunately. go big red
You say, "Nobody I've talked to thinks Frost won't get it turned around if we give him enough time."

You're kidding.

NU was headed for a win on Saturday and once again Frost turned it around. Things seem to play out perfect in his head, the problem is getting that to translate to the actual games.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Hi Carol.

LtgnSv7.gif

Who are you talking about in this rant? This line really had me puzzled " He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part."

This fan base has been more than patient with Frost. Exactly how long is long enough to see positive progress? He's on his fifth year and this team is still making the exact same mistakes......sorry...he is a Nebraska boy but that does not make him a good coach.

It started out as a good read and went straight South with this comment, “He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part.

I will say this about our fan base, we’re still showing up. I got stationed at Tinker AFB in OK City in 98. I did not see any OU T-Shirts and Flags. If there were any, sure weren’t many. Military got tickets for, like, $9.00/ticket. Not because OU was Patriotic. No one was going to their games. So, while every fan base has its share of turds, I would put our fan base up against any other and think we still come out on top.
You are right 10. And all it took was one coaching change to make a difference.

Who are you talking about in this rant? This line really had me puzzled " He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part."

This fan base has been more than patient with Frost. Exactly how long is long enough to see positive progress? He's on his fifth year and this team is still making the exact same mistakes......sorry...he is a Nebraska boy but that does not make him a good coach.
Yup. Callahan nor Riley would get a 3rd year if their first 2 seasons were like Frost's let alone a 5th year.

Not sure about Pelini.

There are posters on this board who have stated Mickey should be fired after Saturday.
Mickey was handed the least talented group on the team. The best WR we have came to Nebraska because of Mickey and if we had a QB who could throw a deep ball that WR would have had 3 TDs on Saturday

the two most talented kids he inherited outside of that are mentally unstable football players. One left the team because he didn’t like football and the other should have too. And I’m not saying they are bad kids or even in any way wrong, no one says you have to play sports even if your good at it. Mickey is trying to build cultural, something frost could never do

everyone talks about the “Nebraska way”. In my book the “Nebraska way” is winning football games. Which clearly Frost doesn’t have

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT