ADVERTISEMENT

"Best fans in college football"

I wish I could like this twice. Or even three or four times. My thoughts exactly how can you hire frost preaching patience and trust and then after 4 years one of which was a covid year now your calling for his head after one game? Is he winning as many games as I thought he would? Granted hes not. Will he eventually turn this thing around? I say, yes. No matter what names people throw around several facts remain. VERY FEW of them played at Nebraska and know what the program means to this state. NONE of them won a championship here. NONE of them played and coached alongside legendary coaches like frost. VERY FEW of them have ever had an undefeated season or won national coach of the year. and MOST of them would NOT be interested even if we offered then the job. with frost we have a young coach who is willing to learn on the job, who has shown he can do it before, who loves our state, understands our people, and will GROW as a coach. Yes it has been slow but what is another 2 or 3 years for 25 years of winning? Nobody I've talked to thinks frost wont get it turned around if we give him enough time. The problem is most people aren't willing to invest as much in him as he is willing to invest in the program. this fan base will get what they (we) deserve unfortunately. go big red
Yup. Callahan nor Riley would get a 3rd year if their first 2 seasons were like Frost's let alone a 5th year.

Not sure about Pelini.
He's been a winner at Nebraska (as a player) and he knows how important it is to the state of Nebraska. He wants to win just as much as anyone and is willing to do the work until he gets it right.

Reactions: mavsker
Pretty much the responses I expected. Honestly, I can see why you have the reputation you do. I'm sorry some of you don't understand the point of the post. I guess I could have just said I support Scott Frost and I think he's the best man for the job - long term. I'll be laughing at you all when the coaching carousel opens back up and you're pissing and moaning about the next guy.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I wish I could like this twice. Or even three or four times. My thoughts exactly how can you hire frost preaching patience and trust and then after 4 years one of which was a covid year now your calling for his head after one game? Is he winning as many games as I thought he would? Granted hes not. Will he eventually turn this thing around? I say, yes. No matter what names people throw around several facts remain. VERY FEW of them played at Nebraska and know what the program means to this state. NONE of them won a championship here. NONE of them played and coached alongside legendary coaches like frost. VERY FEW of them have ever had an undefeated season or won national coach of the year. and MOST of them would NOT be interested even if we offered then the job. with frost we have a young coach who is willing to learn on the job, who has shown he can do it before, who loves our state, understands our people, and will GROW as a coach. Yes it has been slow but what is another 2 or 3 years for 25 years of winning? Nobody I've talked to thinks frost wont get it turned around if we give him enough time. The problem is most people aren't willing to invest as much in him as he is willing to invest in the program. this fan base will get what they (we) deserve unfortunately. go big red
Thank you for sharing my opinion. I knew I'd get torched, but that's ok. There are a bunch of "fans" that don't understand or care about what it takes to rebuild a program like we had in the 90s. It's hard to do anywhere but especially so at Nebraska. I also want the wins, but even more so, I want "Nebraska" football.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and mavsker
par a graphs

Thank you for sharing my opinion. I knew I'd get torched, but that's ok. There are a bunch of "fans" that don't understand or care about what it takes to rebuild a program like we had in the 90s. It's hard to do anywhere but especially so at Nebraska. I also want the wins, but even more so, I want "Nebraska" football.
A Scott Frost coached NU team, and the 90's NU teams are a million miles apart with zero resemblance between the two.

He's been a winner at Nebraska (as a player) and he knows how important it is to the state of Nebraska. He wants to win just as much as anyone and is willing to do the work until he gets it right.
More time "waiting" for Frost to turn it around, reminds me of:
"Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."

A head coach, with a losing record in 6 of 7 seasons might be your first clue.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Who are you talking about in this rant? This line really had me puzzled " He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part."

This fan base has been more than patient with Frost. Exactly how long is long enough to see positive progress? He's on his fifth year and this team is still making the exact same mistakes......sorry...he is a Nebraska boy but that does not make him a good coach.
He made significant "positive progress" last year. The team competed with and could have beat OU, Michigan, and Michigan St. The kicking game really disappointed and impacted our season as you know. He got snake bit last year and that was difficult, but it showed he's on the right track in my opinion.

He made significant "positive progress" last year. The team competed with and could have beat OU, Michigan, and Michigan St. The kicking game really disappointed and impacted our season as you know. He got snake bit last year and that was difficult, but it showed he's on the right track in my opinion.
A lot of "positive progress" last year losing 6 in a row to end the season.

He's been "snake bit" in 6 of his 7 losing seasons as a head coach.

"Snake bit" might be a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:

I wonder if recruits watch the games and the coaching? I’m not sure in good conscious I could encourage a recruit to commit to NU with Scott Frost as coach

of course it is a lot easier to ignore the callus words if the school is offering $750k
Every tweet she makes seems to be even dumber than the previous one. How long can this continue?

Reactions: BleedRed78

One bad break game is no big deal. Happens to almost all coaches.

Two bad break games, not great, but should balance out with some good break games.

Three bad break games in one season, that is the start of a trend.

More than three bad break games in one season? EIGHT in one season?! The bad break is likely your AD keeping a bad head coach employed.

My A$$! I've been a fan of Nebraska since I was old enough to know and understand how special Nebraska football WAS and that was 50 years ago. With that being said, the so-called fan base reminds me of an ant hill that has just been stepped on. Everything was nice and orderly almost machine-like as it was during the glory years under TO. Hell, I remember opening the paper and being disappointed that Nebraska was ranked 4th in the Nation in the pre-season polls. That was obviously a LONG time ago. Then the ant hill gets stepped on and it's complete chaos... Under TO, it wasn't always perfect, but it was built the "right way", over time. Nebraska wasn't respected just for winning games but for how the program was run and the culture/style. I always felt that if Nebraska could just keep their run option and power run game and have a little more of a passing game (more multiple) they would be unstoppable for years to come. Our defense under Charlie was fierce and a staple of our program. When Bill Callahan was hired, everyone bitched and moaned about the West Coast offense and how Nebraska needs to run the ball! Okay, I get that, was a good coach but not a good coach for Nebraska and too loyal to his friend Cosgrove... Since then we have had a lot of bad coaching hires (for Nebraska) in my opinion, including and especially Bo Pelini. Many of you loved the consistent 9 wins and that was good enough for you even though the guy was a complete asshat and didn't give 2 spits about Nebraska. Fast forward to HCSF and we all felt he was the next best thing to Tom. Do you really think you'll get someone else that not only knows what "Nebraska football" is and will have as much invested? He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part. He knows the elements of Nebraska football and has worked tirelessly to try to bring it back to where it once was. Not to mention he's put up with the so-called "fans" that want to burn him at the stake now. He is the best man for the job although he hasn't had success in the win column YET. Nobody and I mean NOBODY is a better all-around fit than Frost! You get someone else and we start over from square one and I guarantee they won't have the same heartfelt investment in the program, the University, or the State that Frost has. The onside was clearly a poor decision but if it worked it would have been genius, but yes, I agree it was too much of a risk. I scratched my head many times with calls by TO, and listened to people that wanted him gone at one point too. Right now, I fear you will get your wish because the new coaches, especially Whipple will need time to mesh. I get a sense that Whipple is very much like BC and wants to pass the ball 90% of the time. If Frost is handcuffed as much as I think he is right now, it will lead to him getting fired and for me that would be a shame! As a football coach myself, I understand the frustration of having one or two missing pieces along with the pressure of wanting to win. I fear the offensive philosophies and personalities of HCSF and Whipple won't mesh and you will all get your wish. But please stop wearing "best fans in college football" like a badge of honor because you aren't. I want to win and be proud of the program just like everyone else, but I want it done the right way, the Nebraska way, at least as I understand it. GBR!!!
Denial
Anger
Schizo (You are here)
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

• Haha
Okay, great. So if Frost has another losing season this year, should he get to keep his job?

"Wanting to Win" isn't enough. I remember when Conan O'Brien got fired after a very brief, disastrous rein as host of "The Tonight Show" and he was whining about how NBC and Jay Leno had taken away his childhood dream and Leno finally pointed out "This is a business. If you don't get the ratings, they take you off the air." The same is true for a football coach - if you don't win games, you get fired.

Reactions: Frozone and HuskerO
The "best fans" thing was always self-aggrandizing bullshit. It's easy to be good fans when your team dominates for 35 years. The worst hardship Husker fans had to face during that time was a 9-4 record and being ranked only 23rd in the final poll. Nebraska fans are no different than any other fanbase.

Bob Devaney was the genius who built Nebraska football into a champion in a few short years. His hand-picked successor Tom Osborne was a keen football mind who had a clear vision what he wanted from the program. Although rigid at times, Tom recognized deficiencies and adapted. His assistant coaches and players knew what was expected of them.

Literally none of this describes Scott Frost. Scott played and coached for some of the best in the game, but he clearly didn't learn a thing from them. He isn't organized, he has no vision, and clearly he is no leader. In five excruciatingly long years, he hasn't raised the program an inch from its historically low status. In fact, he has actually managed to go downhill from Riley's already poor achievements.

While I agree Nebraska needs to commit to a coach long-term to build lasting success, you don't build a house on sand. Scott Frost is not the future of the program. Give him five more years, and maybe he will scratch together the same number of wins that Alabama will have in 2022. Frost needs to be fired as soon as financially feasible.

I feel like we still are one of the best fans in the country.

Even with 5 straight losing seasons (soon to be 6?) Memorial Stadium still sells out (yes, I know it's a farce sellout, but still super full nonetheless), travel well and our fans are still cordial to their opponents & their own.

Can any other program say that especially with filling that stadium?

Being critical of coaches, games & even players doesn't make you a bad fan.

Last edited:
Frost isn't on the hot seat because he loses close games to good teams. He's failing miserably because he also manages to lose to teams that are mediocre and just plain bad.

Mickey was handed the least talented group on the team. The best WR we have came to Nebraska because of Mickey and if we had a QB who could throw a deep ball that WR would have had 3 TDs on Saturday

the two most talented kids he inherited outside of that are mentally unstable football players. One left the team because he didn’t like football and the other should have too. And I’m not saying they are bad kids or even in any way wrong, no one says you have to play sports even if your good at it. Mickey is trying to build cultural, something frost could never do

everyone talks about the “Nebraska way”. In my book the “Nebraska way” is winning football games. Which clearly Frost doesn’t have

Denial
Anger
Schizo (You are here)
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

The "best fans" thing was always self-aggrandizing bullshit. It's easy to be good fans when your team dominates for 35 years. The worst hardship Husker fans had to face during that time was a 9-4 record and being ranked only 23rd in the final poll. Nebraska fans are no different than any other fanbase.

Bob Devaney was the genius who built Nebraska football into a champion in a few short years. His hand-picked successor Tom Osborne was a keen football mind who had a clear vision what he wanted from the program. Although rigid at times, Tom recognized deficiencies and adapted. His assistant coaches and players knew what was expected of them.

Literally none of this describes Scott Frost. Scott played and coached for some of the best in the game, but he clearly didn't learn a thing from them. He isn't organized, he has no vision, and clearly he is no leader. In five excruciatingly long years, he hasn't raised the program an inch from its historically low status. In fact, he has actually managed to go downhill from Riley's already poor achievements.

While I agree Nebraska needs to commit to a coach long-term to build lasting success, you don't build a house on sand. Scott Frost is not the future of the program. Give him five more years, and maybe he will scratch together the same number of wins that Alabama will have in 2022. Frost needs to be fired as soon as financia

Frost isn't on the hot seat because he loses close games to good teams. He's failing miserably because he also manages to lose to teams that are mediocre and just plain bad.
I get that! But even Tom and Solich lost games they should have won easily. I remember under Tom a game against Misery that should have been won by double digits. I also remember the Colorado game under Solich. I fully understand the "why", I just don't think firing him and starting over (once again) under someone that doesn't understand the total environment of Nebraska football is the best solution. Obviously, I may be wrong.

I hear your point in this video that the standard is winning. However, different times and very different circumstances. So, who does Tom hire? The guy most everyone wanted (including myself), Mr. Bo Pelini. Aside from the games won under Bo, what did he bring? He brought embarrassment to the program. Tom talked about winning "the right way" and Bo did not do that. He was a selfish, classless, arrogant A$$ who tried to isolate the team against the University and State for that matter. But yeah, about 9 wins / season. I cringed every time he was interviewed by the media. He was rude and just an A-hole! I also remember when Solich was fired. What did TO say about that? In defense of FS he said: "I think we all could have all sat down in a room and figured this thing out".

I get that! But even Tom and Solich lost games they should have won easily. I remember under Tom a game against Misery that should have been won by double digits. I also remember the Colorado game under Solich. I fully understand the "why", I just don't think firing him and starting over (once again) under someone that doesn't understand the total environment of Nebraska football is the best solution. Obviously, I may be wrong.
Really? How many sub-.500 teams did Osborne lose to? Or even Solich, for that matter.

You remember those upsets because they happened so rarely. Frost, on the other hand, is such an abject failure that his worst losses don't even stand out.

Last edited:
Really? How many sub-.500 teams did Osborne lose to? Or even Solich, for that matter.

You remember those upsets because they happened so rarely. Frost, on the other hand, is such an abject failure that his worst losses don't even stand out.
Tom lost only 1 time in 25 years to a team that ended their year with a losing record (Iowa State).

Frost, in 4+ years has only beaten 2 teams with a winning season record. So, of his 15 wins in that time period, he has only beaten 13 teams, and they all had losing records.

When a coach starts off 0-6 and then at the end of Year 4, ends the season losing 6 in a row...How would anyone call that progress? Sandwiched between those 2 streaks, NU is still only 15-18. Losses everywhere you look.

"Wanting to Win" isn't enough. I remember when Conan O'Brien got fired after a very brief, disastrous rein as host of "The Tonight Show" and he was whining about how NBC and Jay Leno had taken away his childhood dream and Leno finally pointed out "This is a business. If you don't get the ratings, they take you off the air." The same is true for a football coach - if you don't win games, you get fired.
These days, ratings and winning aren't necessarily the most important things. Politics often overrides everything else.

My A$$! I've been a fan of Nebraska since I was old enough to know and understand how special Nebraska football WAS and that was 50 years ago. With that being said, the so-called fan base reminds me of an ant hill that has just been stepped on. Everything was nice and orderly almost machine-like as it was during the glory years under TO. Hell, I remember opening the paper and being disappointed that Nebraska was ranked 4th in the Nation in the pre-season polls. That was obviously a LONG time ago. Then the ant hill gets stepped on and it's complete chaos... Under TO, it wasn't always perfect, but it was built the "right way", over time. Nebraska wasn't respected just for winning games but for how the program was run and the culture/style. I always felt that if Nebraska could just keep their run option and power run game and have a little more of a passing game (more multiple) they would be unstoppable for years to come. Our defense under Charlie was fierce and a staple of our program. When Bill Callahan was hired, everyone bitched and moaned about the West Coast offense and how Nebraska needs to run the ball! Okay, I get that, was a good coach but not a good coach for Nebraska and too loyal to his friend Cosgrove... Since then we have had a lot of bad coaching hires (for Nebraska) in my opinion, including and especially Bo Pelini. Many of you loved the consistent 9 wins and that was good enough for you even though the guy was a complete asshat and didn't give 2 spits about Nebraska. Fast forward to HCSF and we all felt he was the next best thing to Tom. Do you really think you'll get someone else that not only knows what "Nebraska football" is and will have as much invested? He understands what it is supposed to look like, especially the winning part. He knows the elements of Nebraska football and has worked tirelessly to try to bring it back to where it once was. Not to mention he's put up with the so-called "fans" that want to burn him at the stake now. He is the best man for the job although he hasn't had success in the win column YET. Nobody and I mean NOBODY is a better all-around fit than Frost! You get someone else and we start over from square one and I guarantee they won't have the same heartfelt investment in the program, the University, or the State that Frost has. The onside was clearly a poor decision but if it worked it would have been genius, but yes, I agree it was too much of a risk. I scratched my head many times with calls by TO, and listened to people that wanted him gone at one point too. Right now, I fear you will get your wish because the new coaches, especially Whipple will need time to mesh. I get a sense that Whipple is very much like BC and wants to pass the ball 90% of the time. If Frost is handcuffed as much as I think he is right now, it will lead to him getting fired and for me that would be a shame! As a football coach myself, I understand the frustration of having one or two missing pieces along with the pressure of wanting to win. I fear the offensive philosophies and personalities of HCSF and Whipple won't mesh and you will all get your wish. But please stop wearing "best fans in college football" like a badge of honor because you aren't. I want to win and be proud of the program just like everyone else, but I want it done the right way, the Nebraska way, at least as I understand it. GBR!!!
Sometimes less is more.

How many bad teams did Tom lose to? Maybe 10 in 25 years? Tom also beat many ranked teams & whooped up on many bad teams.

I understand Nebraska football & the total environment way more than Urban Meyer. Does that mean I should be names HC over him though. I'm sure Mike Riley knew Alabama’s environment better than Nick Saban. Pretty sure Saban is the much better coach despite that.

Starting over at square one would not be any worse than the last four years. Seriously. We’re still at square 1, maybe zero with this coach. I’ll take square 1 with a smarter coach all day. It would just be a lateral move for us.

I hear your point in this video that the standard is winning. However, different times and very different circumstances. So, who does Tom hire? The guy most everyone wanted (including myself), Mr. Bo Pelini. Aside from the games won under Bo, what did he bring? He brought embarrassment to the program. Tom talked about winning "the right way" and Bo did not do that. He was a selfish, classless, arrogant A$$ who tried to isolate the team against the University and State for that matter. But yeah, about 9 wins / season. I cringed every time he was interviewed by the media. He was rude and just an A-hole! I also remember when Solich was fired. What did TO say about that? In defense of FS he said: "I think we all could have all sat down in a room and figured this thing out".
I think you missed the point. Listen to the last couple of minutes of what TO said.

Either you have forward momentum....or you don't. 15-30 and never having a winning record is not improvement.

Now, if Frost could possibly be an out of the park recruiter or had a staff together thar was superior at player development, (those results would be apparent by now), he may have a shot at getting it done. The problem is, SF is losing close games not because "we are close", but rather because he can't get out of his own way... and he has a horrible feel for the game on game day.

If you factor in his facepalm gaffes when speaking in public, it increases the degree of difficulty for him and the university to get NU to where they need to be.

Nebraska has a systemic issue under Frost. You seem to want to question fans for wanting to make a change here, believing that SF is somehow going to magically become a good HC.

Sorry, but I question wether some that are still defending the indefensible are Nebraska fans first and feel bad for the players....or a Nebraska fan only if SF is the HC. Simply because he is "one of our own" and they still want so badly for him to succeed.

I think you missed the point. Listen to the last couple of minutes of what TO said.

Either you have forward momentum....or you don't. 15-30 and never having a winning record is not improvement.

Now, if Frost could possibly be an out of the park recruiter or had a staff together thar was superior at player development, (those results would be apparent by now), he may have a shot at getting it done. The problem is, SF is losing close games not because "we are close", but rather because he can't get out of his own way... and he has a horrible feel for the game on game day.

If you factor in his facepalm gaffes when speaking in public, it increases the degree of difficulty for him and the university to get NU to where they need to be.

Nebraska has a systemic issue under Frost. You seem to want to question fans for wanting to make a change here, believing that SF is somehow going to magically become a good HC.

Sorry, but I question wether some that are still defending the indefensible are Nebraska fans first and feel bad for the players....or a Nebraska fan only if SF is the HC. Simply because he is "one of our own" and they still want so badly for him to succeed.
I hear and understand your POV. I am not happy with a lot of what I see either, but I see the potential. Although I never lived in NE, my family roots on both sides are from NE and I have been a fan for 50 years (I am now 58). I have been and always will be a fan of Nebraska as it is literally in my blood. I guess it comes down to philosophy... I would rather have someone I know who has his heart in it and fully understands the "environment". I believe SF will continue to improve as a coach no matter where he is at. I would rather have someone I know understands the culture, the pressure, and how important it is to the entire State. You bring someone else in and it will most likely be a short-term job because they will either be swooped up, or run out. Again, it's just the way I see it, but don't be fooled by my site name of "Cal husker", I am just as passionate about Nebraska football than any homegrown fan.

Starting over at square one would not be any worse than the last four years. Seriously. We’re still at square 1, maybe zero with this coach. I’ll take square 1 with a smarter coach all day. It would just be a lateral move for us.
I disagree, but I appreciate your POV. GBR!

I listened to local radio yesterday ( either 1620 or 590 ). They did a segment about how Neb fans are still the best fans in CFB.
Basically because we clap for other teams.
Give me a break.
Let’s start kicking the shit out of the fans who wear shirts of other teams. We need to stop being good fans and clapping for other teams. Instead taunt the other teams fans and fight them. Make them not want to come to memorial stadium anymore.

I hear and understand your POV. I am not happy with a lot of what I see either, but I see the potential. Although I never lived in NE, my family roots on both sides are from NE and I have been a fan for 50 years (I am now 58). I have been and always will be a fan of Nebraska as it is literally in my blood. I guess it comes down to philosophy... I would rather have someone I know who has his heart in it and fully understands the "environment". I believe SF will continue to improve as a coach no matter where he is at. I would rather have someone I know understands the culture, the pressure, and how important it is to the entire State. You bring someone else in and it will most likely be a short-term job because they will either be swooped up, or run out. Again, it's just the way I see it, but don't be fooled by my site name of "Cal husker", I am just as passionate about Nebraska football than any homegrown fan.
....and that's fair. Look, we all want to just see NU get back to AT LEAST respectability. I will say this....I DO think that SF yanked the play sheet from Whipple at half-time and let the o-line and Grant just take over in the second half (or at least after a hail mary to Palmer to flip field position).

Reactions: calhusker89
Lol, no. Look, you love your team. That’s great, and you are great fans for your program, but no one outside of Nebraska thinks you have the best fans in the country.

• Haha
Reactions: iowa_potato
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT