ADVERTISEMENT

Banker Gone

I wonder why he brought them with him in the first place… Seems like it would've been easier to do it then. Maybe not

I would assume, and again this is an assumption, that he thought they would be able to thrive at Nebraska.

Time to dig into the pocketbook a little bit and get some great replacements......no recommendations, but hope we get an established D.C.

Not after the factors related to his departure from Minnesota.

Yeah, I would probably agree. More likely to be an NFL guy based on the timing. Les Miles' background is offense, right? I guess an experienced HC could run a D though. Just saying :)

Wow, I'm in shock about Banker. Don't get me wrong, was never thrilled about the hire or the performance of the defense, but I thought maybe it would come together well enough so as to be adequate.

I wonder how much pressure from the AD is figuring into this.
I don't think any. I would think if Riley was feeling pressured he would just retire rather than fire banker. Isn't it clear enough that Riley will cut bait with underperformers? Hughes last year, now Read, Banker and Stewart... Cav may still be around due to his line being a mash unit this year, but if they don't show marked improvement next year, I'd be worried if I were him.

Fantastic. Thought all along the defense's improvement was as much because of the terrible offenses they faced. Figured we'd have to wait another year though for it to happened. Stunned is understatement though.

I feel like it was too soon to can Banker. Oh well.......better find a really experienced DC!

Two months ago I would have agreed. Something seemed to happen to the team in that time span though. Defense just didn't seem to have the fire anymore.

I'm guessing it will be a coach within the program....timing of all this is very curious with LOI signing coming so soon. Id be shocked if they have an outsider already lined up.

I'm guessing it will be a coach within the program....timing of all this is very curious with LOI signing coming so soon. Id be shocked if they have an outsider already lined up.

That's what I was thinking. Starting over on D next year with a new scheme would be tough. Maybe the scheme stays with new position coaches tied to big-time recruits?

I'm not sure this is as good of news as some of you think given the timing. Hopefully we fill the DC job quickly with a guy who will bring some defensive recruits. Obviously SE did his post season evaluation and the results were not positive for Banker. I like the guy and I hope he lands in a good spot.

I'm not sure this is as good of news as some of you think given the timing. Hopefully we fill the DC job quickly with a guy who will bring some defensive recruits. Obviously SE did his post season evaluation and the results were not positive for Banker. I like the guy and I hope he lands in a good spot.
Tell me of one recruit in last two years that said they absolutely loved Banker or Stewart? If you're in sales (Banker, Stewart, and coaches are) and you leave and nobody misses you, what does that say?

I don't think any. I would think if Riley was feeling pressured he would just retire rather than fire banker. Isn't it clear enough that Riley will cut bait with underperformers? Hughes last year, now Read, Banker and Stewart... Cav may still be around due to his line being a mash unit this year, but if they don't show marked improvement next year, I'd be worried if I were him.

I suppose, but the sample size is rather small when it comes to people he has a long history with. The other thing, at least from the outside looking in, he has such an awe shucks nice guy personality it's hard to imagine him having very stringent demands (though, of course, reality could be very different), and you would think he'd have a great deal of faith in these guys like Banker and Read whom he has worked with for a long time to turn it around. I felt like the Read situation got to the point where it was no longer justifiable, and so Mike felt necessitated (and perhaps a little pressured) to make a tough decision. This is why Banker is so shocking to me, because he seemed competent at least. Either Mike is a lot more ruthless than I have so far assumed, and as you seem to think, or, as I was wondering, maybe there is pressure coming from higher up. Or maybe clear goals were set for assistants when they were hired, and if not met, they wouldn't be retained. You raise a good point about him just retiring, though. I think we can both agree that he wants to go out with a bang and will do anything he can short of cheating to do so.

That's what I was thinking. Starting over on D next year with a new scheme would be tough. Maybe the scheme stays with new position coaches tied to big-time recruits?
I don't think it would be that tough but I would bet that the new DC will be well versed in what we've done and be able to implement what he wants to do pretty seamlessly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT