ADVERTISEMENT

Banker Gone

This move is Riley taking all the names and excuses that the Riley Haters cling to and sending them out like Old Yeller.

The guy has shown willingness to fire the guys no one said he would after what used to pass for a very successful season in Lincoln. Not long ago we were told not to expect an apology for 9 wins and now 9 wins costs 3 assistants their jobs. Things that make you go hmmmm

Interesting tweet yesterday about Minnesota's Jay Sawvel. Wonder if we are the Big Ten opportunity? A lot of Minnesota fans seem sad to see him go. Very good DBs coach, put quite a few Minnesota guys into the NFL.

Reactions: brianm1202
I honestly have no idea who we will or even can get but we need someone these kids will do anything for. Someone that can energize them. Make them run through walls. Do something. And we need someone who can come up with defenses that aren't slow and out of position.

Reactions: StrongArm517
I would think Riley has someone in mind. I wonder if Riley wants (whoever the new coordinator will be) to be good with some of the assistants on the defensive staff. I don't think Riley would want a new coordinator to send D. Williams packing already cause the coordinator would want his own guys.

Jay Sawvel would be a good get I think... he has been a hit here in Minnesota and his performance against wash st in the bowl game was nothing short of a miracle with the suspensions they had.

a change will be good, but it was refreshing to have someone who could control himself during interviews.

Really think we have Eichorst to thank for these bold moves. There are performance standards in everyone's contracts. You make the goals or you're out.

I agree. It's essentially as if Eichorst is another head coach in terms of personnel decisions. As Riley goes, so goes Eichorst. SE is simply trying to improve his own job security.

Reactions: Rick.Flare
I agree. It's essentially as if Eichorst is another head coach in terms of personnel decisions. As Riley goes, so goes Eichorst. SE is simply trying to improve his own job security.
As it should be for the bell cow program of the athletic department.

Time for Cav to hit the road. Not with impressed with Davis's (initially typed Reed - my bad) handling of the backs either.

Or else get a second OL coach to get things fixed there.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, we need to hire someone with Florida, Georgia and Texas recruiting ties. Those 3 states have the most top talent other than California. The kids down there play with a different kind of tough that our defense desperately needs. We have enough California recruiters on staff, it's time to chip in to mark an N flag down in the south.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwinsRRUs
In all seriousness, we need to hire someone with Florida, Georgia and Texas recruiting ties. Those 3 states have the most top talent other than California. Those kids down there play a different kind of tough that our defense desperately misses. We have enough California recruiters on staff, it's time to chip in to mark an N flag down in the south.
What about someone that can recruit a Midwest hotbed like Chicago or St. Louis?

Reactions: StrongArm517
I liked Banker's interviews but really don't think he related to kids very well. Remember Gerry's comments about him being "out there?"
We need young talented energy that relates to recruits.
Not to be snarky but Nate Gerry is the guy that's "out there". Anybody using Nate Gerry to justify Banker's departure needs to re-examine their position. Our safety play contributed to Banker's and Stewart's departures.

What about someone that can recruit a Midwest hotbed like Chicago or St. Louis?
I think Riley would take a coach from those areas, too. Especially St. Louis with the rising talent in the 2018 and 2019 classes. I just get the feeling that we need to start putting more emphasis on those 3 southern states and get someone who has connections down there.

Not to be snarky but Nate Gerry is the guy that's "out there". Anybody using Nate Gerry to justify Banker's departure needs to re-examine their position. Our safety play contributed to Banker's and Stewart's departures.
I like your posts and I understand what you're saying. But we must admit Nate was a very good player. The inconsistency and attitude of players maybe contributed to the decision. The fact the he couldn't relate to Banker I believe is important. like it or not.

I sure don't like all this turnover. Reminds me too much of Charlie Strong at Texas, changing assistants every year trying to find something that works. Riley should have known what he wanted when he started this job. Hughes was a mistake that he corrected. Banker was a known quantity to Riley. Even the OSU folks questioned him, but Riley brought him over. Stewart - I bet that is pretty much mutual; he took a step back from DC to position assistant and wants to be a coordinator again. Gunderson wants to move forward. That's fine and happens on good staffs all the time. Choosing a DC who you're comfortable with from years of work and cutting him off after two years... not a solid plan.
That said, Banker was just average IMO. We could have done better to start. I'm sure the next guy will be a top quality guy. It's just looks bad.
Best part is that Banker leaving probably won't have any impact on recruiting at all. Which says something about Banker.

I like your posts and I understand what you're saying. But we must admit Nate was a very good player. The inconsistency and attitude of players maybe contributed to the decision. The fact the he couldn't relate to Banker I believe is important. like it or not.
I have said multiple times that Nate is a very talented player. I know guys that know Nate's family and have known him for a long time, and Nate's inconsistency and attitude is because of Nate. Not his coaches. I don't think Pelini was helpful in that regard either. In any case, Banker is gone and the next guy won't have to massage Nate's ego.

I have said multiple times that Nate is a very talented player. I know guys that know Nate's family and have known him for a long time, and Nate's inconsistency and attitude is because of Nate. Not his coaches. I don't think Pelini was helpful in that regard either. In any case, Banker is gone and the next guy won't have to massage Nate's ego.
Yes. All his issues are self inflicted. As far as a safety he was very overrated

Reactions: BornNBredRed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT