ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Cancels Football Season

1) I'll grant you the point on travelers. That just tells me that travel bans might have made a difference if enacted earlier...and don't tell me about what someone said or didn't say, because Trump being called a racist for enacting the ban on China (which was riddled with exceptions) didn't cause one single case in the US....and nor did I call him that.

2) The Philippines also has populous areas. They have more cities over 1 million people relative to their population that we do (4 cities in a nation of 100 million vs. 10 cities in a nation of 330 million). Their population density is literally 10x that of the US. New Jersey and Rhode Island are the only 2 states with population densities higher than the Philippines.

3) Lastly, and possibly most importantly....which nation, between the Philippines and the US, has more money and resources to tackle this problem? Can you honestly say that the US has gotten more bang for its pandemic buck than the Philippines?

I get it...there's no room to admit that, for a nation with the most resources in the world, we've done a piss-poor job of handling this.

And yes.....Sweden's cases are getting down pretty low. That's also true of their Scandinavian neighbors...all of whom had much lower fatality rates.

The Philippines looks like they have done well. I'm not arguing that they didn't, more just saying that it is really hard to compare the US to other countries. Also, as far as the 10 cities with 1M+ if you add their metro area that number goes way up.

My point is, it's very hard to compare what happens in the US to other countries. Government, Location, Population, Tourism, and the list goes on can drive a ton of this stuff and I don't think it is a fair comparison to just start picking low countries and just saying "look they are better than the US!!!!!".

Do I think we have handled it well? Yes and no. We have a federalist system and I think states both red and blue had major errors. I think the federal government did ok with support of the states, but lack of leadership, communication and no clear plan has hurt the US as well. In the US we also enjoy our freedom. Our government isn't going to be able lock people in like some of the countries run by dictators around the world.

I'll stick to my main point. Protect the elderly & vulnerable and move on with our lives. The average age of death is 80 years old and normal life expectancy is 78.5 years. Try to be healthier, boost your immune system and maintain hygiene. There are plenty of things Americans can do outside of masking up or locking down. If our fatass population put down the chips and coke and actually got a few miles in each day, we'd probably be in a better spot.

The Philippines looks like they have done well. I'm not arguing that they didn't, more just saying that it is really hard to compare the US to other countries. Also, as far as the 10 cities with 1M+ if you add their metro area that number goes way up.

My point is, it's very hard to compare what happens in the US to other countries. Government, Location, Population, Tourism, and the list goes on can drive a ton of this stuff and I don't think it is a fair comparison to just start picking low countries and just saying "look they are better than the US!!!!!".

Do I think we have handled it well? Yes and no. We have a federalist system and I think states both red and blue had major errors. I think the federal government did ok with support of the states, but lack of leadership, communication and no clear plan has hurt the US as well. In the US we also enjoy our freedom. Our government isn't going to be able lock people in like some of the countries run by dictators around the world.

I'll stick to my main point. Protect the elderly & vulnerable and move on with our lives. The average age of death is 80 years old and normal life expectancy is 78.5 years. Try to be healthier, boost your immune system and maintain hygiene. There are plenty of things Americans can do outside of masking up or locking down. If our fatass population put down the chips and coke and actually got a few miles in each day, we'd probably be in a better spot.
I won't nitpick too much, as I agree with most of your post.

If you add up metro areas, then yes, those cities are bigger. However, again....their population density is 10x that of the US. Big reason (but not the only one) why NYC got hit harder than any state with the same population.

As far as your last point.....my dad is an at risk person. He's 73, and has liver damage as a result of a side effect from medication he was on. Therefore, his immune system is compromised. However, he is in great cardio/respiratory health, and would be playing pickle ball 3-4 days a week if this weren't going on. He's 5.5 hours away. I last saw my parents (in person) at Christmas. Normally, I would have seen them probably 3-4 times between Christmas and August, with another 1-2 times again between now and this coming Christmas.

I have a real problem with just saying to them (and people like them), "You folks just stay at home, while the rest of us do whatever the f*** we want" and just drag this out longer. It would be one thing if people did what was necessary, and took the steps to mitigate the spread. Unfortunately, we have too many morons that think that those things "rustrick muh freedum" and don't cooperate....and I don't mean unreasonable things. I don't believe you need to wear a mask when you're out walking the dog at a park when there are 2 other people in a 10 acre area.

Sorry if I sound angry...I am....but not at you, so don't take it that way.

I don't know......

California's deaths per million rate less than half of Sweden's (California- 260; Sweden- 570), and lower than the overall rate for the US....but I'm sure you'll tell us it's because of something else....

Deaths per million
US- 479
Philippines- 21

Sounds like those measures might have helped some.....
Data matters. Facts matter. Truth matters.

Convenient talking points (from people opposed to taking action) are for deniers.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
I don’t know many on this board that don’t want football to be played this fall.

I do know there are several on this board that spent too much time blasting Fauci, spreading false conspiracy theories about Bill Gates and calling mask wearers “sheep”.

If those people had spent more time adhering to a centralized uniform policy, we likely wouldn’t be in this situation. There are several countries out there to prove this case.

We shouldn’t be in this situation and I asked several people to take an objective point of view to suggest what metrics could be used to judge the success of the US against COVID-19. Very few wanted to go on the record for fear that it may indicate an utter failure by our leadership. Well here we are. Now more than likely facing a fall/winter without football.

While many on here are mad at the University presidents, they should be looking at the mirror for not doing things within their control to get this virus under control.

Fauci deserves to be blasted. Here's what he said a few months ago:

"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better, and it might even block a droplet. But it's not providing the perfect protection that people think it is. And often, there are unintended consequences. People keep fiddling with the mask, and keep touching their face."

This guy has been studying infectious diseases for 50 years, and has been the leading expert for 36 years....and just now figured out that face coverings can prevent the spread of a respiratory virus?

I'm not a big fan of the president, but had he tried to take more authoritarian action, the other party would have called him a dictator. Remember when he suggested they should shut down travel from New York, which would have been a good idea and significantly contained the virus? Governor Cuomo freaked out and threatened to sue him. Then look what happened:

nyc-coronavirus-moving-leaving-promo-1589664602545-superJumbo-v4.png
2020-05-06-nyc-virus-hub-chart-promo-1588808590076-facebookJumbo-v3.png

"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better, and it might even block a droplet. But it's not providing the perfect protection that people think it is. And often, there are unintended consequences. People keep fiddling with the mask, and keep touching their face."

This guy has been studying infectious diseases for 50 years, and has been the leading expert for 36 years....and just now figured out that face coverings can prevent the spread of a respiratory virus?

I'm not a big fan of the president, but had he tried to take more authoritarian action, the other party would have called him a dictator. Remember when he suggested they should shut down travel from New York, which would have been a good idea and significantly contained the virus? Governor Cuomo freaked out and threatened to sue him. Then look what happened:

I agree that Fauci had it wrong initially, but when he determined masks provided a decrease in spread, does one early error mean we throw a guy in the trash?

Also, not surprising that a bulk of spread initiated in NY. That’s where most tourists visit when they come from other locations outside of the US. The country still needed (and does still today) a centralized and consistent policy if we want to open the economy and resemble normalcy.

We’ve played the voluntary compliance game for 4+ months and we aren’t seeing any sign of success regarding spread. Fortunately the medical community is cooperative and has been learning more about treatment which is reducing the death rate, but we need to limit the spread. I was hopeful that football would have been enough “carrot” to get people to start taking active measures. It wasn’t.

Is there an answer to this? It seems like a pretty basic question. Is this about the safety of the kids or not?
The answer is UNL isn’t being hypocritical. They want to play football and want to have in person classes.

It would be hypocritical of other schools who are holding in-person classes to say they don’t want football.

Trust me. The guy that is considered the top infectious disease expert in the country has had 8 months to work on this. After that much time, the best advice he has is still "wear a mask", but its OK to hook up with someone on tinder for a 1 night stand.

As a youngster in grade school we discussed the Salem Witch trials and the teacher and students alike said, "Glad we don't live in a time with that kind of moral depravity and science denial."

Watching people happily give up freedoms humanity spent 10,000 years fighting for . . . watching the MSM ignore doctors talking about being pressured to deny co-morbidity . . . posters confusing the definition of the word "case" . . . we still live in the time of Salem Witch trials.

And who do you think brought it into NY?

As a youngster in grade school we discussed the Salem Witch trials and the teacher and students alike said, "Glad we don't live in a time with that kind of moral depravity and science denial."

Watching people happily give up freedoms humanity spent 10,000 years fighting for . . . watching the MSM ignore doctors talking about being pressured to deny co-morbidity . . . posters confusing the definition of the word "case" . . . we still live in the time of Salem Witch trials.

Jim jordan is great. Fauci clearly towing the line. Simple question, obvious answer. Mental gymnastics from Fauci to not go against the message he has been asked to push. How can he not say "of course protests cause the spread of the virus?"

I agree that Fauci had it wrong initially, but when he determined masks provided a decrease in spread, does one early error mean we throw a guy in the trash?

Also, not surprising that a bulk of spread initiated in NY. That’s where most tourists visit when they come from other locations outside of the US. The country still needed (and does still today) a centralized and consistent policy if we want to open the economy and resemble normalcy.

We’ve played the voluntary compliance game for 4+ months and we aren’t seeing any sign of success regarding spread. Fortunately the medical community is cooperative and has been learning more about treatment which is reducing the death rate, but we need to limit the spread. I was hopeful that football would have been enough “carrot” to get people to start taking active measures. It wasn’t.
No. Fauci deliberately deceived the American public in order to try to reserve masks for healthcare professionals. Was that right or wrong? I don't know but what that deception did was damage the CDC's credibility with a large segment of the American public. Cloth masks as worn by people now are not very effective.

Jim jordan is great. Fauci clearly towing the line. Simple question, obvious answer. Mental gymnastics from Fauci to not go against the message he has been asked to push. How can he not say "of course protests cause the spread of the virus?"
The wrestlers at Ohio State that were violated and voyeured upon by a perv doctor with Gym Shower Jordan's knowledge (and cover up) probably don't think he's that great...but I guess we all have our own moral standards.

The wrestlers at Ohio State that were violated and voyeured upon by a perv doctor with Gym Shower Jordan's knowledge (and cover up) probably don't think he's that great...but I guess we all have our own moral standards.
a cover up at ohio state?

impossible

how many 18-25 y/o ? the question is easy enough? how many? prove the danger and stop trying a feeble attempt to change question to fit your agenda. how many 18-25 y/o have died from wuhan flu? how many many 18-25 y/o have died from auto accidents using a cell phone at the time? how many from seasonal flu? how many from suicide? how about alcohol intoxication? drug overdose?

If you truly wish to know the answer https://bfy.tw/OkUd

Curious to know if you are also a fan of Joe Paterno and Lou Anna Simon?

Liberal shill eh? I Watch Jordan bash hypocrisy, idiocy and abuse of our system every hearing. Trump has skeletons in his closet, so does biden, jim Jordan, obama, lebron james you name it. Your quip sidesteps the obvious bullshit political maneuvering Fauci is exhibiting in the video. Obvious answer to the question and he cant answer.

Said a guy who supports sex abuser biden or misogynist trump?

You can be a great politician, and be a massive piece of shit in private. Acknowledging jim Jordan's legal acumen and effectiveness in no way shows support for his past transgressions. Great athletes are great athletes even if they beat their wife and commit crimes.

You can be a great politician, and be a massive piece of shit in private. Acknowledging jim Jordan's legal acumen and effectiveness in no way shows support for his past transgressions. Great athletes are great athletes even if they beat their wife and commit crimes.
I suppose....but it seems to me that if Joe Paterno had no business being a coach anymore, despite all of his other positives, then Gym has no business being in Congress, let alone acting so self righteous...like he often does.

I'd have zero problem if it has been any of the 434 other members of the House (some of whom are also slimy but less despicable in their own ways).

And perhaps on the athlete end....but I don't ever sing their praises.

Writing in Bill Weld or Mayor Pete.

Which scumbag are you voting for?
There is no candidate I endorse this go around.. in fact the last few. I just call things like I see them, right or wrong, but never party influenced. I think states should rely waaaaay less on the fed, and as a result of sucking the tit too long, they cant. Presidential elections are so far out of the peoples control, I just laugh at those that think they make a real difference or that either party (Gang) is somehow always right while the other is always wrong. We should be concerned at the level of incompetence in the house, the White House, Senate and universities. I don't condone sex abuse obviously, but i do appreciate jim jordans unabashed mission to out the hypocrites in front of the public whenever he can, on both sides of the spectrum. Paterno was a nasty guy and I am too young to remember his coaching, so I only see him as a pedo with coke bottle glasses.

Jordan kind of convoluted the discussion but why on earth couldn't Fauci just say "yes, protests where people are gathered and not wearing masks spread the virus"? Ignore the political aspect of Jordan's questioning and just say what everybody already knows.

There is no candidate I endorse this go around.. in fact the last few. I just call things like I see them, right or wrong, but never party influenced. I think states should rely waaaaay less on the fed, and as a result of sucking the tit too long, they cant. Presidential elections are so far out of the peoples control, I just laugh at those that think they make a real difference or that either party (Gang) is somehow always right while the other is always wrong. We should be concerned at the level of incompetence in the house, the White House, Senate and universities. I don't condone sex abuse obviously, but i do appreciate jim jordans unabashed mission to out the hypocrites in front of the public whenever he can, on both sides of the spectrum. Paterno was a nasty guy and I am too young to remember his coaching, so I only see him as a pedo with coke bottle glasses.
But Jordan is a huge hypocrite himself.....

I like most of your post otherwise.

If you truly wish to know the answer https://bfy.tw/OkUd
125 deaths for covid for those 15-24 so far 2020
4850 deaths for accidents involving a teen driver 2019
2450 deaths estimated for those 18-49 for seasonal flu 2019
6211 deaths suicide for those 15-24 in 2018
4607 deaths homicide those 15-24 in 2018
200 influenza and pneumonia age 15-24 2018
905 heart disease 2018
guess we should just stop playing all sports cause something might happen. heart felt pain for all those who passed and their families and friends. we have to keep moving forward

Not Steve. Not Bill. Not Bo. Not Mike. Joining the Big Ten might have been the biggest mistake that this program has ever made. Well, maybe Steve.

125 deaths for covid for those 15-24 so far 2020
4850 deaths for accidents involving a teen driver 2019
2450 deaths estimated for those 18-49 for seasonal flu 2019
6211 deaths suicide for those 15-24 in 2018
4607 deaths homicide those 15-24 in 2018
200 influenza and pneumonia age 15-24 2018
905 heart disease 2018
guess we should just stop playing all sports cause something might happen. heart felt pain for all those who passed and their families and friends. we have to keep moving forward
The MAC, B1G, and Pac-12 people that have been explaining the decision have never once mentioned a concern about athletes dying. It is about the frequency and severity of myocarditis that they've been seeing in some of the athletes that have gotten COVID, and the mystery surrounding the long-term issues. It's been sounding like the medical advisory folks have been pretty united. I don't know about the vote in the MAC, but the Pac-12 was unanimous, and the B1G was nearly unanimous.

And while I don't believe in shutting everything down, I also don't believe in saying, "the at risk people need to stay at home so the rest of us can do whatever the f*** we want", because that is just going to drag this out longer.

There are 10 schools in the NCAA or NAIA in Nebraska that play college football. Heading into today, only 1 was still slated to play a normal season. There must be a reason.....

The MAC, B1G, and Pac-12 people that have been explaining the decision have never once mentioned a concern about athletes dying. It is about the frequency and severity of myocarditis that they've been seeing in some of the athletes that have gotten COVID, and the mystery surrounding the long-term issues. It's been sounding like the medical advisory folks have been pretty united. I don't know about the vote in the MAC, but the Pac-12 was unanimous, and the B1G was nearly unanimous.

And while I don't believe in shutting everything down, I also don't believe in saying, "the at risk people need to stay at home so the rest of us can do whatever the f*** we want", because that is just going to drag this out longer.

There are 10 schools in the NCAA or NAIA in Nebraska that play college football. Heading into today, only 1 was still slated to play a normal season. There must be a reason.....
because of the small numbers of myocarditis being reported lets get a closer look at specific cases and the actual threat to the future health of both athletes and students. then we really need get an idea of contraction of covid in the areas involved for 18-25 y/o's and reported behavior of those involved. line up enough facts about this and keep the hysteria and emotions at bay. if athletes develope myocarditis at a significant higher rate then how do we keep them from getting it from the general population. shutting the doors to the football or volleyball facility does not solve anything.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I didn't see anyone bring this up in between the relentless back-and-forth bickering (so so tired of reading it fellas), but I think shutting down the season has something to do with preserving the amateur status of college athletes. The economic model is very close to being flipped on its head and there are many people in power that don't want that to happen.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I didn't see anyone bring this up in between the relentless back-and-forth bickering (so so tired of reading it fellas), but I think shutting down the season has something to do with preserving the amateur status of college athletes. The economic model is very close to being flipped on its head and there are many people in power that don't want that to happen.
there are plenty of bootlickers here who support that whole heartedly.

the adults have spoken, after all.

listen to the authorities, people. they always have your best interest in mind.

How does cancelling a season stop the debate over amateur status? It just delays it for a year. Why would schools prefer to take a $100 million loss, rather than let student-athletes make money off of their NIL?

Liberal shill eh? I Watch Jordan bash hypocrisy, idiocy and abuse of our system every hearing. Trump has skeletons in his closet, so does biden, jim Jordan, obama, lebron james you name it. Your quip sidesteps the obvious bullshit political maneuvering Fauci is exhibiting in the video. Obvious answer to the question and he cant answer.
Didn't vote for Trump. Didn't vote for Obama. Doing a write-in vote in 2020. Lebron James isn't running for office.

I guess, as a presumed loyal Husker fan, you overlook Joe Paterno's skeletons, and just acknowledge him as a fine coach. If you really do, you'd be the first I've seen on this forum to do that. Plenty of "Ped State" and "Joe Pedterno" comments in the past...some of them by the same people celebrating Gym Jordan right now.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
because of the small numbers of myocarditis being reported lets get a closer look at specific cases and the actual threat to the future health of both athletes and students. then we really need get an idea of contraction of covid in the areas involved for 18-25 y/o's and reported behavior of those involved. line up enough facts about this and keep the hysteria and emotions at bay. if athletes develope myocarditis at a significant higher rate then how do we keep them from getting it from the general population. shutting the doors to the football or volleyball facility does not solve anything.
What makes you think the people on the medical advisory boards haven't done their due diligence on this? I hope you have something more solid than "because they made a recommendation I don't like".

And, according to Barry Alvarez, the football and volleyball facilities are far from having the doors shut.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
What makes you think the people on the medical advisory boards haven't done their due diligence on this? I hope you have something more solid than "because they made a recommendation I don't like".

And, according to Barry Alvarez, the football and volleyball facilities are far from having the doors shut.
unless you have something concrete I would appreciate you keeping your unimformed opinions to yourself. the medical advisory boards have not provided anything concerning their due diligence. wish they would. instead of accepting no explanation it would be prudent of all of us to question the basis of their recommendations

Didn't vote for Trump. Didn't vote for Obama. Doing a write-in vote in 2020. Lebron James isn't running for office.

I guess, as a presumed loyal Husker fan, you overlook Joe Paterno's skeletons, and just acknowledge him as a fine coach. If you really do, you'd be the first I've seen on this forum to do that. Plenty of "Ped State" and "Joe Pedterno" comments in the past...some of them by the same people celebrating Gym Jordan right now.

No second chances for Jim Jordan? Interesting. Your zero tolerance applies equally to everyone, right? So when Trump signed this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Step_Act -- that got you pretty upset, didn't it? I mean no second chances for Jordan means no second chances for anyone . . . right? And that logic works because you're better than everyone. Might I say . . .perfect.
You did imply in an earlier post that bureaucrats are a smarter and better class of people than those who post on this board.
You're non-partisan? You didn't vote for Barry? One of those I doubt is true . . . the other I know isn't true.
You're big on purity tests. Especially if you think it helps take people's eyes off things you'd rather they not see.
You know who else loves purity tests and virtue signaling?
Religious fanatics and cancel culture authoritarians.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT