ADVERTISEMENT

Austin Allen

While I cant fault either of them for trying, and yeah Jurgens did well in the draft and all that, I cant help but wonder what a better situation we would be in next year if both had just stuck around. Im thinking with some more improvement and the Iowa center gone, he wouldve had a shot at 1st team all american, rimington, etc. Possibly enough to bump him to 1st round. AND, we wouldve had a monster at center for another year. With some better QB play and play calling, AA couldve had a great year as well.

While I cant fault either of them for trying, and yeah Jurgens did well in the draft and all that, I cant help but wonder what a better situation we would be in next year if both had just stuck around. Im thinking with some more improvement and the Iowa center gone, he wouldve had a shot at 1st team all american, rimington, etc. Possibly enough to bump him to 1st round. AND, we wouldve had a monster at center for another year. With some better QB play and play calling, AA couldve had a great year as well.
I definitely wished they would've stayed but that's their business and choice. We would be better yes

Reactions: nostromo78
Allen didn’t get drafted because he will be a 3rd TE on a roster and isn’t a do-it-all guy. It’s going to be hard for him because the third TE is expected to be on every special teams and do a lot of blocking. Another year or not, that’s not Allen’s game. I think heading when he did was the right call. Another year in college would have changed his bench reps from 8 to 15. Or make him a vastly better blocker. He is what he is at this point.

I really hope he finds a place because the dude can play.

End of the day his 'combine' would always put him behind the 8 ball. He's a step slow and will be primarily a red zone target.

Tight ends around here have been criminally underutilized going back multiple coaching staffs (Mike Mcneil, Kyler Reed, Ben Cotton, Cethan Carter, etc). That said, I don't see one more year helping his draft stock. For him makes all the sense in the world to go take his shot now.

Would Austin Allen had better served his pro career by playing one more year at Nebraska?
Unlikely. He isn't great in run blocking and isn't over the top fast or have great route running. Those were all the knocks on him. Nothing more he could have done at Nebraska other than risk injury. He was All Big 10 and broke a record at Nebraska. Not much more you can accomplish. He will make the roster in NY.

Call me crazy, but I think that if Vokolek stays healthy this season, he gets drafted next year. He's got more of the usual te size, solid hands, and can block like a fullback. Allen just never really had that combination of skills even though he set records for us last year. More scheme than his abilities, and our current scheme will only target te even more now.

Probably technically wrong but I'll always refer to someone final year of eligibility as senior season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT