ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Matt Rhule Apparently Has Fired ...

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
a member of his staff. According to ESPN's Pete Thamel: "Nebraska director of football relations CJ Cavazos has been told he will not return next season." Cavazos previously worked with the XFL and ran his own recruiting service out of Texas for 25 years.

Cavazos was involved in all aspects of the recruiting process for high school prospects and transfers and also served as the primary contact for coaches while overseeing the Huskers' walk-on program. Additionally, Cavazos was one of the main organizers of Nebraska's annual Pro Day.

UPDATE: As stated later in the comments, Omar Hale has also been given the boot.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: WHCSC
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Cavazos was involved in all aspects of the recruiting process for high school prospects and transfers and also served as the primary contact for coaches while overseeing the Huskers' walk-on program. Additionally, Cavazos was one of the main organizers of Nebraska's annual Pro Day.

Thanks, sounds like this move will rock Husker Nation to the core…

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
This actually interests me. According to the artie, Cavazos was responsible for:

(1) the process involved in recruiting high school kids.
(2) primary contact for coaches (not sure in what capacity)
(3) overseeing the walkon program
(4) one of the main organizers of the Nebraska Pro Day

Clearly had nothing to do with the day-to-day involvement of the players, so which of the four elements did Rhule take issue with and why?

FWIW, prior to coming to NU Cavazos ran his own recruiting service out of TX for 25 years. A guy like that would have deep connections to a lot of TX hs coaches, so clearly not someone you toss out lightly. I think there's more to this than meets the eye but I have no clue what it could be.

This actually interests me. According to the artie, Cavazos was responsible for:

Clearly had nothing to do with the day-to-day involvement of the players, so which of the four elements did Rhule take issue with and why?

FWIW, prior to coming to NU Cavazos ran his own recruiting service out of TX for 25 years. A guy like that would have deep connections to a lot of TX hs coaches, so clearly not someone you toss out lightly. I think there's more to this than meets the eye but I have no clue what it could be.
My initial thoughts as well unless this is to give Holgersen more to do. Thought we were doing OK in that area but maybe not. 🤔

Reactions: SickOfPractice
I’m gonna say a lot of people got excited that maybe it was Satterfield. Like Rhule didn’t say already that he was not going to fire him. Satt is not going anywhere. At least not right now. He has to show what he can or can’t do with an actual QB running the offense first.

Reactions: Laner2 and huntered

Maybe he did something or was in the process of doing that could've brought the NCAA to our doorstep and got caught and was fired for it. Ya never know!

Reactions: Laner2
I don’t want Satterfield fired. We have zero idea how good of an OC he may be. He literally did not have a legit QB on his roster last year. I don’t care what Kong says. HH was awful. So we’re Sims and Purdy. He also had to deal with critical injuries at RB, WR, and OL. Let’s see what he can do with a better room at all of those positions and at QB. I bet Raiola starts. An inexperienced Raiola is probably still better than HH.

I don’t want Satterfield fired. We have zero idea how good of an OC he may be. He literally did not have a legit QB on his roster last year. I don’t care what Kong says. HH was awful. So we’re Sims and Purdy. He also had to deal with critical injuries at RB, WR, and OL. Let’s see what he can do with a better room at all of those positions and at QB. I bet Raiola starts. An inexperienced Raiola is probably still better than HH.
This^. Glad to see a common sense post.

Guy gets let go from a support psn and we don’t know why. That’s about it.

Last edited:
I assumed Cavazos was younger, but he's not. The job involves event planning and I bet the boss is interested in the events being successful. It seems like a job for a somewhat younger person with strong organizational skills and a get it done mindset.

Reactions: Dr_Alan_Grant

We do have an idea. Satterfield has been an OC at the FBS level for six seasons at three different programs, and hasn't produced an offense that ranked even in the Top 60 in any of those six seasons. In three of those seasons, his offenses ranked lower than 110th in the nation.

Reactions: F--IT and UNCHUSKER
I'm thinking there has been some kind of wrong doing by those 2 that could, could've or has gotten us into trouble with the NCAA. There is a reason they were fired as they didn't have other endeavors and didn't leave on their own free will like most have left. Something serious had to have happened for this to come about imo. Rhule however has proven that if staff aren't cutting it or such as Bob Wager's DUI and other things, he will 86 ya and doesn't play the good ol' boy game which is refreshing. Rhule is the type that it doesn't matter if the satff are friends or not as he won't tolerate it.

Last edited:
He’s never been very successful as an offensive coordinator FWIW

He’s never been very successful as an offensive coordinator FWIW
Hmmm or has he had some success over the years??

In January 2009, Satterfield was named offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga by the Mocs' new head coach, Russ Huesman (Satterfield and Huesman had previously worked together at Richmond in 2004). The Mocs' offense, which was one of the worst in Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) in 2008, substantially improved under Satterfield. In 2010, the Mocs, led by star quarterback B. J. Coleman, ranked third in the Southern Conference and 11th nationally in total offense (430 yards per game).[11]

During Satterfield's first year in 2013, the Owls' offense amassed nearly 400 yards per game, the most by a Temple squad since 1979.[1] The Owls' rushing attack finished third in the American Athletic Conference with 149.3 yards per game.[14]

In 2022, the Gamecocks finished the regular season 8-4, with the last two regular season games being wins over highly ranked rivals Tennessee and Clemson. The Gamecocks scored 30 or more points in 9 games (including the bowl game) for the first time in school history and broke numerous offensive production records in Satterfield’s final season.

Hmmm or has he had some success over the years??

In January 2009, Satterfield was named offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga by the Mocs' new head coach, Russ Huesman (Satterfield and Huesman had previously worked together at Richmond in 2004). The Mocs' offense, which was one of the worst in Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) in 2008, substantially improved under Satterfield. In 2010, the Mocs, led by star quarterback B. J. Coleman, ranked third in the Southern Conference and 11th nationally in total offense (430 yards per game).[11]

During Satterfield's first year in 2013, the Owls' offense amassed nearly 400 yards per game, the most by a Temple squad since 1979.[1] The Owls' rushing attack finished third in the American Athletic Conference with 149.3 yards per game.[14]

In 2022, the Gamecocks finished the regular season 8-4, with the last two regular season games being wins over highly ranked rivals Tennessee and Clemson. The Gamecocks scored 30 or more points in 9 games (including the bowl game) for the first time in school history and broke numerous offensive production records in Satterfield’s final season.
Turnover machines - that’s what his offenses have been at his P5 jobs. Wake up and smell the mediocrity

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
I assumed Cavazos was younger, but he's not. The job involves event planning and I bet the boss is interested in the events being successful. It seems like a job for a somewhat younger person with strong organizational skills and a get it done mindset.
I did project management until I retired at age 59. Granted it wasn't "event planning" like ordering cakes and table cloths, but there were a lot of moving parts like getting people and equipment in place, having spare parts lined up, finance, human resources, kicking butts, drying tears, etc. I got better and better at it the older I got because previously I made mistakes, got burned by them, and learned to never let it happen again.

Here is an example. A long time ago we did a project in a somewhat third world place and while the airport did have rental cars/trucks, they were all stick shifts. Half my crew, especially the young ones couldn't drive them. Lesson learned...sometimes a passenger van and assigned driver is better than a bunch of rental cars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT