ADVERTISEMENT

Attending games to the 4 new West coast teams

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
UCLA- Pasadena. I’ve attended 3 Bruin games ( 84,94,2012) and the 2002 Rose Bowl game and Pasadena is a trip worth while great tailgating on the Brookside golf course which they shut down on game days.

If you want to seat so you can view the San Gabriel mountains you want to seat on the press box side of the stadium or South end zone..Do not go lower then the 20 rows seats are not good seeing the action..
B+

Oregon- Eugene.Attended the 2017 game if which the Ducks jumped to 42-14 lead and at half and the Huskers came back in the second losing 42-35..Autzen is smaller stadium I’d compare it to Minnesota in size 58,000 and it was one of the louder Husker away games I’ve attended..Every one wore yellow that day and tailgated with Husker fans by their baseball diamond..

There is only one way in to the stadium and one way out making it out of the stadium to our hotel on our bus, after the game was over by the time we took off getting back to the motel which was only 20 minutes away from the stadium it took as long heading back from Lincoln to west Omaha after a game that part was the worst part of the trip..Visited the Sand Dunes Frontier in Florence Oregon.
B-

Washington- Seattle. Been to Husky stadium in 97 and 2010 both were great trips visiting the space needle both times eating lunch once dinner the second.. The city is on the Puget Sound and is surrounded by water went to Pike market place also took a boat to tour around the city stayed at the Embassy suites.

Took a boat and came back and tail gated to the game in 2010 which was awesome experience..Husky stadium is by the water Union bay and it’s a beautiful view in the stadium and it’s very loud especially when the Huskies play well and winning which both games started very loud till Nebraska started controlling the game.
A

USC- Los Angeles. Nebraska has only played there twice in 71 at night and Callahan‘s 2006 team losing 28-10. I haven’t been to the Coliseum didn’t have much interest and heard it was in a bad area of LA..

Sorry if this is a little long.

Last edited:
"Callahan‘s 2006 team losing 28-10"

We've been thru some humiliating losses the last 2 decades and some of those Callahan calamities rank right up there.

Reactions: Mrs HuskerHusaria
Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing. My only experience with west coast stadiums is the Rose Bowl against Miami. I know a couple different groups of people who have been to our most recent games at Washington and Oregon and everyone loved it.

Reactions: scarletred
Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing. My only experience with west coast stadiums is the Rose Bowl against Miami. I know a couple different groups of people who have been to our most recent games at Washington and Oregon and everyone loved it.
Unfortunately my worst seats I sat in was the Rose Bowl game against Miami, sat so low it sucked..

By best view was the 2012 Bruin game were we sat up high on the west side veiwing the San Gabriel mountains. Pelini defense was boat raced that late afternoon with 653 yards of offense despite losing 36-30..

Was on TV in 1984 was also highlight that day beating UCLA 42-3..Great memories..

I went to the 2012 game against UCLA at the Rose Bowl, was fun but hot. And of course we lost 😡

The LA Coliseum is awesome; I was there in 2006. There is so much history in that beautiful art deco house. Nebraska fans showed.

Sure, that part of LA is not the best but it's not that bad and never felt dangerous. The surrounding street food is really good. That area is part of LA culture too. You go there for the game and then stay near the beaches. A great trip and airline tix to LA are usually cheap.

Last edited:
Been to three of the venues for Nebraska games. The Rose Bowl/Huskie stadium are about as safe a venue as you can get as far as away games go. The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is not in the best neighborhood and if you go be aware of your surroundings and those around you.

I suggest you take a bus or private ride to the Coliseum and as soon as the game is over I suggest you don't wander about the grounds. I will go to this game but I won't be wasting time getting in and out.

I'll be there for the game only then once after my ride I'll go to a friendlier venue to enjoy Saturday football that comes on later in the day.
If you go to this game be very careful of some USC fans and those that just look for trouble, it can be very rowdy at this venue. A lot has changed in L.A. from the last time Nebraska played there, it is not what it was back then.

The absolute best venue is Memorial Stadium in Lincoln Nebraska, none of these three road venues can compete with Midwestern hospitality and the great Haymarket district for food and entertainment.

Unfortunately my worst seats I sat in was the Rose Bowl game against Miami, sat so low it sucked..

By best view was the 2012 Bruin game were we sat up high on the west side veiwing the San Gabriel mountains. Pelini defense was boat raced that late afternoon with 653 yards of offense despite losing 36-30..

Was on TV in 1984 was also highlight that day beating UCLA 42-3..Great memories..
My seats were way at the top. Didn't love it but it was a fun atmosphere before the ass whooping started.

Been to three of the venues for Nebraska games. The Rose Bowl/Huskie stadium are about as safe a venue as you can get as far as away games go. The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is not in the best neighborhood and if you go be aware of your surroundings and those around you.

I suggest you take a bus or private ride to the Coliseum and as soon as the game is over I suggest you don't wander about the grounds. I will go to this game but I won't be wasting time getting in and out.

I'll be there for the game only then once after my ride I'll go to a friendlier venue to enjoy Saturday football that comes on later in the day.
If you go to this game be very careful of some USC fans and those that just look for trouble, it can be very rowdy at this venue. A lot has changed in L.A. from the last time Nebraska played there, it is not what it was back then.

The absolute best venue is Memorial Stadium in Lincoln Nebraska, none of these three road venues can compete with Midwestern hospitality and the great Haymarket district for food and entertainment.
Game day in Lincoln really can't be beat. Tailgating used to be better IMO but the Haymarket is so improved it's almost remarkable. Such a good combo of tailgating, house parties, and bars for everyone.

The neighborhood around the Coliseum is being gentrified. So it’s not the same as it was 20 - 30 years ago.

I used to see Rams games there before they moved to Sofi, and I still see the occasional USC game there.

Scarletred, like you I have been to the Rose Bowl for several games. Three of them were memorable in a bad way.

In 1988 I got stuck in traffic, had 50 yard line seats that an NU admin friend got me in the heart of the UCLA fans and by the time I was settled in it was Aikman 28- NU 0 in the frickin first quarter. 😅

Of course, much worse was the mythical national championship game of 2002 that we somehow played in after getting trampled by CU. I don’t think we had a good feeling about that one even before kickoff and it lived down to our worst thoughts. My wife isn’t a Husker fan so I did her a favor and we left at halftime to bar hop. Who knew that sh1tshow would be the best we’d be for the next 21 years and counting.

The third “gem“ was the 1997 Rose Bowl that I attended with ASU friends. We were in the end zone where OSU caught a last second pass to beat ASU and ruin their undefeated season. That was the same year we were shut out by ASU after putting 77 on the scoreboard against them the prior year. Of course Frazier was the guy who led us to 77 and Frost the guy who led us to 0. I always knew his next season was somehow a fluke and he would somehow mess it all up, even if it was 20 years later as our coach.

As for the Coliseum, I have been to several games there and while neighborhood isn’t great, the campus is fine. Yes, a bullet did find its way onto a USC practice field a few decades ago, but game day atmosphere is anything but scary. The games were ASU games so I don’t remember much about the results. But one game had a Beach Boys free concert after the game and that was pretty neat.

Last edited:
Scarletred, like you I have been to the Rose Bowl for several games. Three of them were memorable in a bad way.

In 1988 I got stuck in traffic, had 50 yard line seats that an NU admin friend got me in the heart of the UCLA fans and by the time I was settled in it was Aikman 28- NU 0 in the frickin first quarter. 😅

Of course, eBen worse was the mythical national championship game of 2002 that we somehow played in after getting trampled by CU. I don’t think we had a good feeling about that one even before kickoff and it lived down to our worst thoughts. My wife isn’t a Husker fan so I did her a favor and we left at halftime to bar hop. Who knew that sh1tshow would be the best we’d be for the next 21 years and counting.

The third “gem“ was the 1997 Rose Bowl that I attended with ASU friends. We were in the end zone where OSU caught a last second pass to beat ASU and ruin their undefeated season. Of course that was the same year we were shut out by ASU after putting 77 on the scoreboard against them the prior year. Of course Frazier was the guy who led us to 77 and Frost the guy who led us to 0. I always knew his next season was somehow a fluke and he would somehow mess it all up.
Hey thanks for stopping by.

For the Coliseum you may end up parking in somebody's yard or a vacant lot a gang banger looking guy takes money for. It isnt a problem as long as you don't cop a tude.

I've been to the Coliseum(last year) but not for a Nebraska game. It's adjacent to the USC campus which is pretty high falutin. Beautiful place. Rich kid's campus.
There is a retail area that seems ok and then the other side is pretty awful. It can be avoided though unless you want to see how the other half lives. A lot of homeless which makes me wonder if the criminal element doesn't want to be around them. Did see a homeless guy laying on a mattress with his bare butt hanging out. Don't see that everyday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT