ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coaches

I’m going to do my best and only get excited for the new coaches. It hard not to jump to a bunch of conclusions.

With Frost, we thought Duval was going to be the king of all. He was coming off being the strength coach of the year and everyone was pumped for him.

Same thing with Held and Harry Potter QB whisperer.

We have no idea who’s going to be great and who is going to suck. So might as well just be excited and enjoy having some hope again.

I'd keep mickey and bill...them two seem to be the sharpest knifes in the drawer, then fill in the rest...
allthough I like alot of the other coaches like armstrong, fisher and rudd..(even pass happy whippel)

but that probably won't happen...what ever gets us to a bowl next year with a upward tragectory

The question right now is what exact role would the rumored adds have? They could be assistants or they could also be analysts. Likely to find out somethings tomorrow.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I'd keep mickey and bill...them two seem to be the sharpest knifes in the drawer, then fill in the rest...
allthough I like alot of the other coaches like armstrong, fisher and rudd..(even pass happy whippel)

but that probably won't happen...what ever gets us to a bowl next year with a upward tragectory
If he doesn't keep those two he may not have as many happy Nebraska fans as might have if he retained them. I have a feeling Alberts may have insisted at least Joseph be retained and if not I'm going to be one of those Nebraska fans that is not happy with this staff and with Alberts.

Reactions: OAHU-SKER
Am I mistaken in thinking most of the targets for assistants were with Rhule at some point in time? When Frost did this, it didn't work out and that has been a point of contention ever since. Just sayin
I was thinking the exact same thing, but thought I would wait awhile before the staff filled in to bring it up. Knighton doesn't seem to have much experience, a Riaola hire....but he almost lost vision in one eye from a bar fight and was a pro football bad ass, so there's that.

If he doesn't keep those two he may not have as many happy Nebraska fans as might have if he retained them. I have a feeling Alberts may have insisted at least Joseph be retained and if not I'm going to be one of those Nebraska fans that is not happy with this staff and with Alberts.
my attitude is whatever works, in the long run..all them guys get paid good so if they get canned they ain't gonna be homeless.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but thought I would wait awhile before the staff filled in to bring it up. Knighton doesn't seem to have much experience, a Riaola hire....but he almost lost vision in one eye from a bar fight and was a pro football bad ass, so there's that.
Rhule knows him well. I suspect he’ll be just fine as a D line coach

So as of today two reported asst coach hires: DL and strengthening. Does that mean Dawson and Duval are gone ?
Gosh I hope so.
Frankly, outside Mickey and Becton, they can all be shown the door. IMO. Applewhite did ok I guess, but I won’t worry about losing him.

The CB coach seems more certain than those two. But I do assume Duval and Dawson are gone eventually though.
Duval was way too tied to Frost to keep him. And even though he was once the strength coach of the year before getting here, what does he have to show for his time at Nebraska? I’d say he’s as about 100% gone as anyone on the staff.

Duval was way too tied to Frost to keep him. And even though he was once the strength coach of the year before getting here, what does he have to show for his time at Nebraska? I’d say he’s as about 100% gone as anyone on the staff.
Dawson too. Dawson was a guy Frost hired due to his connection with Chip. I actually think Dawson was a good coach. I’m not sure he was much of a recruiter though.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
DITTO

Dawson too. Dawson was a guy Frost hired due to his connection with Chip. I actually think Dawson was a good coach. I’m not sure he was much of a recruiter though.
Yep. I like Dawson. His notable recruits are Ty Robinson and Rhamir (I’m pretty sure). But yeah, tied to Frost and he’s older.

No new coach comes in and keeps a bunch of existing staff. It’s pretty common for a clean sweep. So I won’t hold my breath for Busch or Mickey.

Yep. I like Dawson. His notable recruits are Ty Robinson and Rhamir (I’m pretty sure). But yeah, tied to Frost and he’s older.

No new coach comes in and keeps a bunch of existing staff. It’s pretty common for a clean sweep. So I won’t hold my breath for Busch or Mickey.
Rhule is pretty pragmatic and I think he would value their recruiting chops. Busch would be a tremendous guy to keep on as an analyst if nothing else.

I hope so. Busch has shown his value. I’d love him to stay on as a special teams coordinator or an assistant coach.
Regardless, Busch is staying on in Lincoln. He's settling down with his new wife who is a realtor in town. He could probably have his choice of high school football coaching jobs or as an analyst position with Rhule. The guy is pure class and a Husker through and through.

He has so much to offer, look at the job he did running both the defense and special teams for 3/4 of this season. I hope he has a full time job on staff.
IF Rhule wants a smooth transition he would be smart to keep Busch on staff and retain his terminology. Starting over from scratch on O or D almost always sacrifices some winnable games.

Well, i realize that but it was Frost who was blastes for doing that as I recall. I know his assistants didn't thrill me at all.
Rhule has a longer collegiate track record than Frost. Ironically IMO IF Frost hadnt brought Chin with him he probably would have won some of those one score games. Chin was awful. Some of his assistants were pretty good IMO.

Gosh I hope so.
Frankly, outside Mickey and Becton, they can all be shown the door. IMO. Applewhite did ok I guess, but I won’t worry about losing him.
Fisher was pretty good IMO and he was known as a good recruiter. I think Benton’s results were pretty average.

Rhule has a longer collegiate track record than Frost. Ironically IMO IF Frost hadnt brought Chin with him he probably would have won some of those one score games. Chin was awful. Some of his assistants were pretty good IMO.
Walters, Lubick, Chinander, Ruud, Dawson, Verduzco, Duval, and Austin sucked
Fisher, Whipple, Raiola, Held, and Tuioti were OK.
Applewhite, Mickey, Beckton, and Busch were good.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT