ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coaches

Question is here…. Does Mickey stay if offered a position here? I’m hoping he does, but am curious on the relationship between him and Coach Rhule.

We were on Rhule before Carolina let him go. His name had the most smoke connected to it from the beginning. Trev’s firm did the leg work on all the options but Rhule was the obvious choice from the beginning.

I agree. When you listen to Trev say fit Rhule is definitely the guy that fits. His background in building programs, development of players, and specializes in line play says all Nebraska.

Question is here…. Does Mickey stay if offered a position here? I’m hoping he does, but am curious on the relationship between him and Coach Rhule.
Video soon
I agree. When you listen to Trev say fit Rhule is definitely the guy that fits. His background in building programs, development of players, and specializes in line play says all Nebraska.
It was always Rhule. I doubted we could get him given what Carolina owed him and there’s no way I thought Trev would go 8 years. We put our big boy pants on.

I would take Phil Snow over Bill Busch at D coordinator. I wouldn’t mind retaining Busch for special teams. Snow has worked some serious miracles with Rhule and has a ton of good experience.

Sean Beckton I would keep. The TEs had done a great job this year at blocking and catching for the most part

Travis Fisher I would keep but if there is someone better available then maybe not. The DBs I feel have done pretty well this year, often being asked to guard for a long time. Quinten Newsome is a prime example of Fisher’s work, both in recruiting and coaching. Tommie Hill not so much, but a budding young star in Hartzog.

Dawson and Riola obviously need to go. Riola being a lot worse of the two. The D and O lines are easily the worst coached positions on the team. Neither of those guys bring anything to recruiting. Elijah Robinson would be a huge upgrade here.

Ruud is also probably replaceable. It’s hard to fathom that The Athletic had our linebackers ranked 8th in the country coming into the season. The D line made them look worse at times, those front 7 have to play as a unit and too often, as a group they got shredded.

I think we would all give about anything for Mickey to stay. Rhule’s weakness is recruiting, Mickey is the most direct answer.

Reactions: Bugeater
I would take Phil Snow over Bill Busch at D coordinator. I wouldn’t mind retaining Busch for special teams. Snow has worked some serious miracles with Rhule and has a ton of good experience.

Sean Beckton I would keep. The TEs had done a great job this year at blocking and catching for the most part

Travis Fisher I would keep but if there is someone better available then maybe not. The DBs I feel have done pretty well this year, often being asked to guard for a long time. Quinten Newsome is a prime example of Fisher’s work, both in recruiting and coaching. Tommie Hill not so much, but a budding young star in Hartzog.

Dawson and Riola obviously need to go. Riola being a lot worse of the two. The D and O lines are easily the worst coached positions on the team. Neither of those guys bring anything to recruiting. Elijah Robinson would be a huge upgrade here.

Ruud is also probably replaceable. It’s hard to fathom that The Athletic had our linebackers ranked 8th in the country coming into the season. The D line made them look worse at times, those front 7 have to play as a unit and too often, as a group they got shredded.

I think we would all give about anything for Mickey to stay. Rhule’s weakness is recruiting, Mickey is the most direct answer.
We all have disparate views on our current assistants. No doubt Rhule will have his own ideas and is going to want assistants who he knows can teach his schemes. No doubt Rhule’s picks for OC and DC will have a say in who their guys will be.

We all have disparate views on our current assistants. No doubt Rhule will have his own ideas and is going to want assistants who he knows can teach his schemes. No doubt Rhule’s picks for OC and DC will have a say in who their guys will be.
Hopefully if Applewhite goes, Ajay Allen will not follow. That kid could have a VERY high ceiling under Rhule.

Hopefully if Applewhite goes, Ajay Allen will not follow. That kid could have a VERY high ceiling under Rhule.
It’s just going to be very interesting to see what Rhule does. While he’s hired guys he’s known he also has stepped outside the box with some of his hires and those moves paid dividends for him at Temple and Baylor. A couple of those hires appeared to be motivated largely by recruiting.

We were on Rhule before Carolina let him go. His name had the most smoke connected to it from the beginning. Trev’s firm did the leg work on all the options but Rhule was the obvious choice from the beginning.
He wasn't the obvious choice, but he was obviously Trev's first choice and he got him.

I’m just excited to “hopefully” see some competent coaches with skills and acumen for recruiting, development and game day action.
This is a massive opportunity to upgrade the staff, and I hope Rhule gets it right.

*I’m supportive of keeping MJ and/or Busch.

I'd feel better about Busch if we actually returned a punt now and then. Fair-catching the last Wisconsin punt on the 10 when he had room to run was critical in that loss IMHO.
Yes, absolutely. Do not want him back as ST coach.

Apparently you don’t understand that in many cases the decision to to return a punt versus a fair catch is made by the returner while the ball is in the air……
Or it's determined by what the returner is coached to do, and also how well the return is setup by blocking which is also largely determined by coaching.

Reactions: huskers360
Apparently you don’t understand that in many cases the decision to to return a punt versus a fair catch is made by the returner while the ball is in the air……
I was at the game Friday and actually had a good time with the Iowa fans. My first trip to Kinnick and surprisingly they were a classy bunch of people. No issues with them at all, not one. Anyway, the people around me told me little bits and pieces about their team and I returned the favor. I told them some of our fans refer to our offensive tackles as "the matadors" and think our main punt returner's middle name is "fair catch".

Here are some of the Matt Rhule coaching staff predictions. These are educated guesses. In many cases these are guys that have been with Rhule since the Temple years:

OC/QBs: Glenn Thomas
DC/Safeties: Phil Snow
Linebackers/ST: Mike Siravo
Co-OC/Running Backs: Jeff Nixon (Will’s father) or Applewhite retained
Defensive Line: Elijah Robinson or Frank Okam
Cornerbacks: Evan Cooper

My gut is that Mickey Joseph will be retained if he wishes. Another possible WR coach might be Joe Dailey.

Strength and Conditioning: Jeremy Scott

First guy I thought of is wiskey interim coach. He can’t be very happy with Wisconsin.

I have been seeing that Rhule might be looking to restructure Mickey's contract to keep him and for the DC spot looking at Georgia's co DC Glen Schumann. I know nothing about Glen but saw this posted about him

"Schumann was the very first guy Kirby Smart brought with him to Georgia, he is Smart's most trusted assistant and universally considered to be a rising superstar in the profession. His players love him, Roquan Smith has talked about Schumann's role in his development as maybe the single most important thing to happen to his career."

It looks like he only makes 600K as co-defensive coordinator so we could pay him a lot more unless Georgia counter offers to keep him.

I have been seeing that Rhule might be looking to restructure Mickey's contract to keep him and for the DC spot looking at Georgia's co DC Glen Schumann. I know nothing about Glen but saw this posted about him

"Schumann was the very first guy Kirby Smart brought with him to Georgia, he is Smart's most trusted assistant and universally considered to be a rising superstar in the profession. His players love him, Roquan Smith has talked about Schumann's role in his development as maybe the single most important thing to happen to his career."

It looks like he only makes 600K as co-defensive coordinator so we could pay him a lot more unless Georgia counter offers to keep him.

Why would Schumann leave Kirby Smart and the #1 program right now, to come here and work for a guy he doesn't even know? He will be a head coach soon.

I know it's a dream, but maybe more money and not having to share coordinator duties would be tempting for a few years before he finds the right HC spot.

Georgia could match any offer easily, and Dan Lanning was co-coordinator there when he got hired as Oregon. Schumann will get head coaching offers soon.

Am I mistaken in thinking most of the targets for assistants were with Rhule at some point in time? When Frost did this, it didn't work out and that has been a point of contention ever since. Just sayin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT