ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Read the Backup QB Piece?

Is that a Matt Rhule dig on Scotty Frost??? 🤔

GregariousGrandAlabamamapturtle-size_restricted.gif

All depth charts are drafts until game day. And then they are drafts until the next game day.
so Sims isn't the starter?

I really don't understand you people sometimes. it's really sad to see so many very strong feelings toward me projected onto our backup QB, a small town NE kid with unlimited potential and physical tools.

so Sims isn't the starter?

I really don't understand you people sometimes. it's really sad to see so many very strong feelings toward me projected onto our backup QB, a small town NE kid with unlimited potential and physical tools.
I have no feelings for you one way or the other and wish both Haarberg and Purdy luck in their competition. The fact that two kids are competing for backup instead of no one is a good thing. I got the feeling last year that Whipple paid attention to one QB and when that QB got hurt, the others lacked the confidence to do the job.

“Chubba has excelled since spring”. “Chubba has made leaps over the summer”.
nice to hear. the way Rhule talks about him sounds like he was on the brink of retirement and/or permanent clipboard duty.

would you like to make a friendly wager as to who starts the season as the #2 guy? name your price.

has anyone read the rivals article yet?

"Rhule said. "A lot of kids nowadays run and hide. Chubba took everything head on."

Dang right. His brother is a fine quarterback on one of the best teams in the NFC.

Time for Chubba to settle down and work on his game if he has any hope of making a big jump. You can’t be transferring around all the time and expect to rise to the top. Plus, I bet he’s enjoying his time with the Huskers. If Sims gets hurt or moves on at the end of the year, that is Chubbas opportunity to start and shine. Put in the work, bide your time.

nice to hear. the way Rhule talks about him sounds like he was on the brink of retirement and/or permanent clipboard duty.

would you like to make a friendly wager as to who starts the season as the #2 guy? name your price.

has anyone read the rivals article yet?
I just got done talking with Matt. What amount you have in mind?

To be fair, an injury to either can't play a part.

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_
I’ll be shocked if Purdy isn’t the first backup. gbr

This post makes me think of all the sunshine up our butt posts we read every year before the season begins. All I know is he got a chance to play last year and he was either hurt, or he has the arm of a seventh grader. I ain't kidding. I have never watched a weaker armed QB playing in a major college game. A week or two after, I was watching Zane Flores live and he was throwing darts all over the field. Ten yard out....slants across the middle....forty yards downfield to a guy behind the defender. It was night and day difference. Zane is heading to Okie State. I would trade the two of them in a second. Just saying.

Since you made a thread, I'll tell you what my thoughts were on the headline (can't read the article).

I thought to myself, who would say such a thing? Where does this run and hide phrase come from?

It's not exactly an endorsement.. it's like a double negative.. I guess it's supposed to be taken positively, but if I'm trying to give a guy some props, I'm not going to say it like that.

"Yeah, so and so is doing alright.. I guess.. at least he didn't run and hide.." (this is the context I imagine from the headline)

So to me, I'm guessing this is a negative?

If it's actually not a negative, based on the article contents, then I blame the clowns that write the headlines.

injuries absolutely play a part.

whatever you'd like.
LOL. I come from a background where horses late scratch all the time, so I'd have to consider Chubba has a history of injury and HH doesn't. I don't have the level of emotional injury tied up on this issue like you do, in fact, I really don't care who the backup(s) or what order they're in, as long as they can do the job., which has been my position all along.

I'm starting to read Rhule, he's a lot easier to read than TO, and I think Rhule tends to commit to guys that he really likes, and tends to talk about. I don't hear much about HH, but Rhule does talk about Chubba. Now is that to keep him interested and thinking he still has a chance as the backup, or exactly what does Rhule imply?

If I did make a wager with you, it would be the first wager I made on a football related item since 1983, so it's really not my thing.
I was hoping that dingle would give you a jingle since you are the two that have talked back and forth.

This doesn't mean that I won't bet you kong. Obviously, I've thrown down a lot of money over the years. I've won before and I'll win again, I've lost before and I'll lose again. But, I'm a guy who is gonna hedge my bets. If we say, for the opener, then I'm more apt to throw a few bucks down, just to make it interesting, and that would assume both guys made it through fall camp mostly injury free. If HH turns an ankle and can't go and you lose the bet, I wouldn''t take your money anyhow.

But, do I really care who the backup is? Not really. When we get closer to the opener, we can have another chat on this subject, but what if the depth-chart comes back with Sims 1, and HH or Chubba 2?

Since you made a thread, I'll tell you what my thoughts were on the headline (can't read the article).

I thought to myself, who would say such a thing? Where does this run and hide phrase come from?

It's not exactly an endorsement.. it's like a double negative.. I guess it's supposed to be taken positively, but if I'm trying to give a guy some props, I'm not going to say it like that.

"Yeah, so and so is doing alright.. I guess.. at least he didn't run and hide.." (this is the context I imagine from the headline)

So to me, I'm guessing this is a negative?

If it's actually not a negative, based on the article contents, then I blame the clowns that write the headlines.
I think considering Chubba's big brother is in the NFL, I doubt Chubba couldn't run and hide even if he wanted to. I know quite a bit about that "little brother syndrome" and they feel like they have to compete with the older brother, and in this case it doesn't apply. I doubt many of us expect Chubba to be donning an NFL jersey, let alone starting in the NFL any time soon.

It does bother me though, that Whipple, would overlook a physically gifted kid like HH and go to the less talented Purdy. Either Whipple was a total moron or HH did or does enough things in practice to not be able to even get a chance. Last year would it have made any difference if NU was 3-9 or 4-8? I want HH to come in a do a good job, he's big enough he should be able to withstand the rigors of BIG football. Right now, I don't think we can say that about Chubba. I do know until I see HH in real game action, I'm gonna hold my breath until he proves he can take of the ball.

With Sims' history of injury and two unproven backups, it does make a guy nervous.

A couple of days before the opener I am going to draw a comparison between this team and horseracing. The guys that hate when I talk horses either won't read it or will hate my rationale, lol, but I do see some parallels between the two.

I know one thing, Pelini will get it.

Last edited:
I believe I heard Sip/Callahan say so far through camp that Purdy is the favorite for #2. The spring game performance suggested he should be but not by a lot

• Haha
I think considering Chubba's big brother is in the NFL, I doubt Chubba couldn't run and hide even if he wanted to. I know quite a bit about that "little brother syndrome" and they feel like they have to compete with the older brother, and in this case it doesn't apply. I doubt many of us expect Chubba to be donning an NFL jersey, let alone starting in the NFL any time soon.

It does bother me though, that Whipple, would overlook a physically gifted kid like HH and go to the less talented Purdy. Either Whipple was a total moron or HH did or does enough things in practice to not be able to even get a chance. Last year would it have made any difference if NU was 3-9 or 4-8? I want HH to come in a do a good job, he's big enough he should be able to withstand the rigors of BIG football. Right now, I don't think we can say that about Chubba. I do know until I see HH in real game action, I'm gonna hold my breath until he proves he can take of the ball.

With Sims' history of injury and two unproven backups, it does make a guy nervous.

A couple of days before the opener I am going to draw a comparison between this team and horseracing. The guys that hate when I talk horses either won't read it or will hate my rationale, lol, but I do see some parallels between the two.

I know one thing, Pelini will get it.
interesting insight on the younger brother thing..

I always thought Chubba would have better interpersonal skills, as all younger siblings seem to have when compared to the oldest child. This usually leads to more success in the real world. Anyway, after last year's performance, Chubba scares me.. but as you pointed out.. not sure what was going on with Whip.. there are stories that Chubba was put in with no prep and so I hope that coach didn't screw him up.

One thing about HH that I sort of see.. is how he handles pressure. A couple years ago, when it was all sort of a joke, he lit things up during the spring game. This year, when there was a lot of pressure, he didn't fare so well.

I'm guessing all 3 QB's are going to play this year, at least a little.

interesting insight on the younger brother thing..

I always thought Chubba would have better interpersonal skills, as all younger siblings seem to have when compared to the oldest child. This usually leads to more success in the real world. Anyway, after last year's performance, Chubba scares me.. but as you pointed out.. not sure what was going on with Whip.. there are stories that Chubba was put in with no prep and so I hope that coach didn't screw him up.

One thing about HH that I sort of see.. is how he handles pressure. A couple years ago, when it was all sort of a joke, he lit things up during the spring game. This year, when there was a lot of pressure, he didn't fare so well.

I'm guessing all 3 QB's are going to play this year, at least a little.
That's a good observation on the no expectation v. high expectation performance. However the thing shakes out between the two, I hope one of them steps forward before the Michigan game, because with Illinois following, that's when the wheels could start coming off and lead to another subpar year.

I miss the years when we could just chalk up the W's before the season ever started.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT