ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Bunch exploring Transfering options

I think the life lessons being learned here are not helping these kids. If you are a Russell Wilson and asked to ride the pine.. I understand and transferring is the best option. However Bunch is really only going to have a shot a smaller school to play QB. What I believe he should have done is see if there is a way he can get on the field like that QB at Wisconsin did when he switched to receiver and is now playing for the Seahawks. Could he have played another position here and in the big pond so to speak rather than wanting only to play QB and willing to go to a small school to do it

Russell Wilson transferred from NC State because the coach there didn’t like him missing time so he could also play baseball.

Reactions: saluno22
I’m fine with this and wish him luck. Matt Masker will develop into #3 guy if McCaffrey isn’t ready.
If we get to #3 QB ever we got problems anyway.
I just wish he was freeing up a scholly for us.

Maybe he won't, but he for sure won't be getting it here. As I've said a million times, some people want to actually participate in games, not just be a practice player. Apparently Nebraska is full of guys that are good with being practice players and playing in only blowout situations. This guy isn't one of them. He is looking into options that will afford him the opportunity to play in football games, I hope he finds it.
Some guys just aren't capable of being starting qb's in division I football. From what I've seen of him, he'd have to go to a midlevel FCS team to be guaranteed a good chance of being a starter, because he sure as heck is not going to do it at any other power 5 team or most FBS teams in general.

I think he'd be better off sticking it out here, winning the backup role and getting plenty of playing time when we start blowing out teams next year. There's always a good chance the starting qb gets injured, and he could get the starting job for a few games or possibly longer. Wouldn't be a bad gig at all for a guy who doesn't have a real high ceiling.

Some guys just aren't capable of being starting qb's in division I football. From what I've seen of him, he'd have to go to a midlevel FCS team to be guaranteed a good chance of being a starter, because he sure as heck is not going to do it at any other power 5 team or most FBS teams in general.

I think he'd be better off sticking it out here, winning the backup role and getting plenty of playing time when we start blowing out teams next year. There's always a good chance the starting qb gets injured, and he could get the starting job for a few games or possibly longer. Wouldn't be a bad gig at all for a guy who doesn't have a real high ceiling.

So people should make life decisions based on the evaluations and opinions of message board experts? Ha ha ok.

He wasn’t going to win the back up job, Vedral won that job already and Mccaffery will be 3rd string while redshirting.

I’m fine with this and wish him luck. Matt Masker will develop into #3 guy if McCaffrey isn’t ready.
If we get to #3 QB ever we got problems anyway.
I just wish he was freeing up a scholly for us.
Alabama has had to use their #3 qb several times this year. The only reason Clemson is undefeated is due to the play of their #3 qb. Both of these teams had to rely on their #3 qb and both are undefeated. More years than not we're going to have to rely on the #3 qb at some point in the year, so we better have a quality option there.

Reactions: HominidHusker
You know nothing about him or his work ethic or his background. So in your mind the only people that can transfer are those who have a future in the NFL? The rest should be just stuck? That is stupid. Sorry.

This is a kid playing a game and going to college, the life lessons he learns from the hours of hard work, the discipline to juggle being a college athlete and a full time student, the time management skills that it takes to be both.

The life lesson he is learning is that not every situation and decision you make is the right one. So instead of being miserable in the decision you made, fix it, move on and enjoy your life.

What makes you think he could switch positions and that that position changes is going to bring about more playing time?
I am really not bagging on the kid and yes not playing while working hard is tough but that in itself is a good lesson. He is not going to start at a D1 school as a QB so he has two choices go down in grade and have a shot at playing at a small school or see if he can get on the field in another way.

It amazes me sometimes that when a shot at the NFL comes calling these kids would play any position they could to get on the field why not the same thinking in college minus the money

I am really not bagging on the kid and yes not playing while working hard is tough but that in itself is a good lesson. He is not going to start at a D1 school as a QB so he has two choices go down in grade and have a shot at playing at a small school or see if he can get on the field in another way.

It amazes me sometimes that when a shot at the NFL comes calling these kids would play any position they could to get on the field why not the same thinking in college minus the money

Just Wow

Agree with point 1, disagree with point 2. Who are these "a lot of people"? Certainly not the coaches, or else, they wouldn't have only recruited one dude.

edit - Vedral is a career backup, was going to be a career back up at UCF and will be one here.
I didn't say I agreed with it, but have heard it plenty of times on this board. Would still be nice to have the option in case he doesn't work out at qb for some reason, but we're not even going to have that option unless we take two QB's.

You folks who think he's better than Vedral, keep in mind the only playing time Vedral ever received was behind the 3rd team offensive line. And from a depth standpoint, that unit was pretty piss poor once you got past the top 7 to 8 bodies. Bunch primarily played behind the starting offensive line.

Vedral is definitely a better QB and athlete.

However, I'm surprised Bunch is transferring. He had a lot of smaller FBS and FCS offers out of HS and JUCO. But he chose to walk on at Nebraska because his dad was a former Husker walk on, and he's been a lifelong Nebraska fan. I just assumed he wanted to be a Husker more than he wanted to be a starter. Perhaps that has changed now.

More power to him if he can find an FCS landing spot and start right away.
I've seen both throw and run with the ball. I would take Bunch over Vedral every day of the week. This is a loyalty deal from Frost. I know some of the Vedral family and consider them friends but Vedral has a very limited ability to pass the football. Lots of Power 5 schools would get an improvement in their QB play with Bunch over what they had this past year.

Yep. When you have a short, finite window priorities become different.
Nobody should blame him for wanting to play. With Frost's loyalty to Vedral and another scholarship QB coming in, Bunch will soon be 4th team with almost no shot of playing. He gave it his best shot now it's time to see if somebody will pay for his school and let him play. It IS the smart thing to do. We've got 2 walk on QBs coming in as well, We should all thank him for being here this past year when we needed him.

Reactions: mmunso7

Just WOW is all I can say. How can any of us say what is better for him? You seem to write in absolutes - using the words ":guaranteed a good chance of being a stater" (think of what that says - guaranteed a good chance?) and "winning the backup role" when he is already #3 without the incoming frosh so the starting QB getting inured doesn't help him, it is called math.

Probably the statement that disqualifies any common sense is "when we start blowing out teams next year" - this coming from a 4 win team that essentially has the same defense coming back next year and failed to stop most everyone they played. Since you are proposing pie in the sky for Bunch, I guess that is standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: donahues17
So people should make life decisions based on the evaluations and opinions of message board experts? Ha ha ok.

He wasn’t going to win the back up job, Vedral won that job already and Mccaffery will be 3rd string while redshirting.
If he can't win the backup job on a 4-8 team, how the heck is he going to win the starting job on any other FBS team? If he wants to be a starter, his only choice is to drop to FCS, and even that's not a guarantee.

Just WOW is all I can say. How any of us can say what is better for him. You seem to write in absolutes - using the words ":guaranteed a good chance of being a stater" (think of what that says - guaranteed a good chance?) and "winning the backup role" when he is already #3 without the incoming frosh so the starting QB getting inured doesn't help him, it is called math.

Probably the statement that disqualifies any common sense is "when we start blowing out teams next year" - this coming from a 4 win team that essentially has the same defense coming back next year and failed to stop most everyone they played. Since you are proposing pie in the sky for Bunch, I guess that is standard.
How do you know leaving would be better for him? He'll have to deal with the same shit, coaches being loyal to other players, etc. If I know anything about Frost, he wants to win. If Bunch was clearly better than Vedral, Bunch would be the backup. Frost isn't going to put some supposed loyalty to some player over a better chance to win. I'd say Bunch would be best off staying here, prove he's the best qb and win the backup job and get some playing time that way.

If he can't win the backup job on a 4-8 team, how the heck is he going to win the starting job on any other FBS team? If he wants to be a starter, his only choice is to drop to FCS, and even that's not a guarantee.

Not one time did I say he had to go FBS. Moving the goal posts to defend a losing argument.

Bottom line, Bunch will make the decision to either stay or go based upon what's best for him, that's how it usually goes. And yes, I used the Captain Obvious card on that.

captain_small.jpg

Reactions: dinglefritz

I didn’t want to chime in, but I have to ask, how is the teams record in any way relevant to this discussion.

I've seen both throw and run with the ball. I would take Bunch over Vedral every day of the week. This is a loyalty deal from Frost. I know some of the Vedral family and consider them friends but Vedral has a very limited ability to pass the football. Lots of Power 5 schools would get an improvement in their QB play with Bunch over what they had this past year.

You're wrong, and should probably stop watching football.

I didn’t want to chime in, but I have to ask, how is the teams record in any way relevant to this discussion.
And how is claiming that the staff is loyal to another player relevant to the discussion? Prove that the coaching staff puts loyalty ahead of winning. I'd love to see you try to prove that.

Alabama has had to use their #3 qb several times this year. The only reason Clemson is undefeated is due to the play of their #3 qb. Both of these teams had to rely on their #3 qb and both are undefeated. More years than not we're going to have to rely on the #3 qb at some point in the year, so we better have a quality option there.

You are making things up. Alabama’s 3rd string QB has only garbage time experience.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Cole Frahm is also on the transfer database along with Bunch, Bell, McGriff, Thomas and Brandon Hohenstein.

And how is claiming that the staff is loyal to another player relevant to the discussion? Prove that the coaching staff puts loyalty ahead of winning. I'd love to see you try to prove that.
You didn't answer the question.

Vedral > Bunch and it isn't even close. I wonder if the reaction to his performance last season might be part of the reason for him exploring transfer options.

Let's all speak in absolutes even though there is no way to back up what we are saying or if our opinions are even close to being correct. Coaches have a learning curve and it also takes awhile to get ones beliefs completely incorporated into a system especially when there is such inexperience involved.

One thing I know is Tuco has been consistent in his posts about what he believes and what he is learning about things. He states his opinion and it is pretty obvious that is what he is saying. Others on here state their opinions as if they are facts. One of the main problems with message boards. There are way to many "facts" posted that really do not hold water. RANT OVER!

Reactions: red-one21
You are making things up. Alabama’s 3rd string QB has only garbage time experience.
Their 3rd string qb had to play against Miss St because the top two got hurt. And it wasn't exactly garbage time. Tua has been playing hurt for like the last 5 games and Hurts was injured during that time as well.

Let's all speak in absolutes even though there is no way to back up what we are saying or if our opinions are even close to being correct. Coaches have a learning curve and it also takes awhile to get ones beliefs completely incorporated into a system especially when there is such inexperience involved.

One thing I know is Tuco has been consistent in his posts about what he believes and what he is learning about things. He states his opinion and it is pretty obvious that is what he is saying. Others on here state their opinions as if they are facts. One of the main problems with message boards. There are way to many "facts" posted that really do not hold water. RANT OVER!
Is this your opinion or a fact? :D

Have to be honest Kaz. I have opinionated facts also. I claim to be human after all. Sometimes I wonder if that is a fact. I just know I am glad you are doing the job on here you are doing and not me or many others!

Now people are stating things about Vedral vs Bunch. Not going to get into the argument but Bunch was listed as #2 all year on the depth chart ahead of Vedral. That speaks louder then any of our opinions I would think.

Thanks again for the job you do Kaz and all the rest of the moderators on here. Way underappreciated!

Reactions: kaz36
And neither did you. At least our record is a lot more tangible than wherever you think the coach's loyalty lies.

Are you eight years old? Answer the question. What does the teams record have to do with Bunch and the QB competition? Do you feel stupid because it doesn't make any sense and you don't want to acknowledge it? Please note that is a second question to you.

I don't care about the staff and loyalty question you posed to me. I never made any representation to that effect, so ask whoever it is that made the comment. Now stop acting like a moron and answer the question.

You folks who think he's better than Vedral, keep in mind the only playing time Vedral ever received was behind the 3rd team offensive line. And from a depth standpoint, that unit was pretty piss poor once you got past the top 7 to 8 bodies. Bunch primarily played behind the starting offensive line.

Vedral is definitely a better QB and athlete.

However, I'm surprised Bunch is transferring. He had a lot of smaller FBS and FCS offers out of HS and JUCO. But he chose to walk on at Nebraska because his dad was a former Husker walk on, and he's been a lifelong Nebraska fan. I just assumed he wanted to be a Husker more than he wanted to be a starter. Perhaps that has changed now.

More power to him if he can find an FCS landing spot and start right away.
At the time Bunch was playing behind the 1st team oline, that ol was about the equivalent of the 3rd team Vedral played with

So Wilson transferred to Wisconsin, which doesn't have baseball
Wilson was playing minor league baseball, so he wasn't eligible to play baseball at NC State or any school to which he transferred.

It did seem the coaches pointed out that his effort and focus would drop when he was the #3 guy...was hoping he would stay because I thought he would appreciate the opportunity and experience and would be a fantastic #3 guy in 2020 when we should really be rolling. It is going to be hard to keep a good backup...let alone a 3rd guy...and he could have won us some big games.

Name one......

Their 3rd string qb had to play against Miss St because the top two got hurt. And it wasn't exactly garbage time. Tua has been playing hurt for like the last 5 games and Hurts was injured during that time as well.

My bad, he played one 4th quarter. Was 3 of 6 for negative 1 yards, had zero rushes and came in when the game was 21-0. That was the only game he played in because of injury, and the only game he played in during the months of October, November and December. That is not "several times this year".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT